Zumiez Reviews | Glassdoor

Zumiez Reviews

Updated August 22, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Decent money, laid back you can wear whatever (in 44 reviews)

• Great work environment, flexible scheduling (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Insultingly low pay for the amount of work and stress the job entails (in 42 reviews)

• no place is perfect obviously and retail in general makes finding work/life balance rough but if you get retail then you'll be just fine (in 15 reviews)

"It was alright..."

Former Employee - First Assistant Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - First Assistant Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Zumiez full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent money, laid back you can wear whatever. The music you listen to at the store is usually your choice.

Cons

Very sales oriented, and people like to steal your sales and cherry pick. When it wasn't their sale in the first place. Very disorganized store not professional at all.

Advice to Management

Be more strict on your employees.

"HR/DM"

Current Employee - PT Sales Associate
    Current Employee - PT Sales Associate

I have been working at Zumiez part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good co-workers and my supervisors cared for us as workers

Cons

I had just witness a DM come into a store and not happy with the look. Said some unprofessional things to the ASM and asked him to get his/her keys and give it to him. Basically, he just terminated that management on the spot. Is that appropriate without consent from HR ? For the DM to come in with such disrespect when it should be done professionally. The SM wasn't there and shame that a SM would let his team down like that even if the ASM picked up the slack knowing this will fall on the team is shameful. Seems like the team had no confidence to reach out to the the someone or DM is a shame. For that DM not have anything to say or shake their hand is disrespectful in my opinion. HR is suppose to be there to protect the employees from being mistreated in any shape or form. Working for this company, I feel that I must be careful of my every steps after seeing what can be done.

Advice to Management

Note everyone is replaceable and it's about a paycheck not who works for them.

3. "Fun once you start selling"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Elmhurst, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Elmhurst, NY

I have been working at Zumiez part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a really encouraging environment, the managers really want to see you work hard and move up the ladder. I started as just a cashier but I asked for more hours and they put me on the floor I became a top seller just after a few weeks of selling. Everyone who works here are great easy to talk, you start bonding with gen after a while and zumiez has a great way of giving back to employees that's show hard work. If you want to move up and do more you need to tell ur managers and show that you can handle it.

Cons

If you don't sell or don't sell good you don't get many hours. I don't recommend this job if you don't want to deal with teenagers or people asking if you sell supreme or "trasher" all the time. You need to have really good socialization skills and can't be dry with customers like how other retail brands allow.

Advice to Management

Give people who just ring or do shipments more of a chance to sell

4. "Could be better"

I have been working at Zumiez part-time

Pros

Relaxed environment and decent discount

Cons

Hard work often goes unrecognized

5. "Fun but not worth it"

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Zumiez part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A very relaxed and fun retail environment. You can really wear what you want and don't even get a name badge. I'd say it's really a good first job for a high schooler. Not many hours so it's flexible and the customer base is mild compared to working at other retailers.

Cons

Low pay and no hours. I worked for the company for a very short time - but I had taken the job as a second job the summer before my senior year of college to make a little extra money. I was hired immediately and was promised training at a further location for a week or two and then would transfer to a much closer location. Not to my surprise that never happened, and it didn't take long to realize how pointless it was for me in my situation. Of all of the "call in" shifts I had (which make no sense imo) I never worked one and I can't tell you how many times I'd make the drive there to only work an hour or two and let go early because it wasn't busy enough. It was a waste of my time.

Advice to Management

Try to hire people into management who either have management experience prior or who have at least worked with the company for a year. I had a terrible AGM who had barely worked 6 months with the company with little experience and was rather lazy. I had to ASK how to do things rather than get proper training. The general manager however was great but underpaid and worked 10-20+ off the clock to try and get things done. Sad.

6. "Nope"

I worked at Zumiez part-time

Pros

Excellent chill people and great environment.

Cons

Not an excellent place to earn some cash for most managers or veteran employees will take your incentive.

7. "a short title for my review"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Zumiez part-time (More than a year)

Pros

fun times, cool people, great enviornment

Cons

lots of small things to remember, my store is very particular, not as laid back as one might think

8. "good"

I worked at Zumiez full-time

Pros

good job over all i liked it

Cons

too much flying and travel

9. "Zumiez"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Zumiez part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone chill, there's no pressure but everyone works hard. Really good vibes.

Cons

There's really no cons in this job.

"Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Salem, NH
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Salem, NH

I have been working at Zumiez full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a Fun place to work usually.

Cons

The company puts so much money into so many random events that they could be investing in their hardworking people's pay checks at the store level instead.

Advice to Management

Provide clear and fair expectations.