Zurich North America Reviews | Glassdoor

Zurich North America CEO Kathleen Savio
Kathleen Savio

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Difficult to balance work life balance due to excessive work load" (in 24 reviews)

• "Upper management seems to realize that these are serious problems but has been VERY slow in addressing them" (in 32 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Lots of interesting work"

Current Employee - Manager in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Zurich North America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are initiatives going on everywhere in the company... sometimes it is a bit overwhelming, but you know that the company is focused on making things work for the long haul. If you like the idea of contributing to the future of a company, this is a great place to be. If you are looking for a place where nothing changes, then you probably need to look elsewhere.

Cons

With change comes some degree of instability. There is generally transparency with what management is doing, but sometimes there is no way they can announce things until lots of decisions get made. So, it sometimes feels like things change before projects are ever final. But again, it is an exciting thing if you're into it.

Advice to Management

Try to coordinate the efforts through groups that are "in the know" so that work that is going to be set aside doesn't get done at all. Keep moving forward and creating a better place to work and do business, but keep in mind the needs of the people for stability and ambitions.

Jan 16, 2018

Thank you for your thoughtful and honest response. We are working hard to evolve and change in ways that continue to make us competitive in the marketplace, but as you’ve noted, change can be... More

"F&I Customer Service"

I have been working at Zurich North America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely generous PTO, AMAZING supervisors, tuition reimbursement for 5k per year that is not prorated based on grades, company events all of the time.

Cons

Medical insurance SUCKS. My deductible is $5600 and if I want to have my spouse on my policy to cash in on the HSA, I have to pay a $100 provision fee PER CHECK for insurance that already sucks.

Feb 2, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for the five star review! We agree that we offer generous PTO and have AMAZING supervisors. We love the company events too!

We are sorry to hear you are disappointed by our medical... More

3. "UNDERWRITING ASSOCIATE"

Pros

Good work/life balance, and great people

Cons

Pay is a little below industry benchmark

"Great colleagues but issues with management"

I worked at Zurich North America full-time

Pros

Good benefits (such as pension as well as 401K) and generally collegial atmosphere among colleagues. The hours were generally not bad (averaged around 50-60 hours/week for a Trial Attorney) - however, this varied widely between employees (see below). It was a pleasure to see most of my colleagues each morning and most people would pitch in to help each other in a crunch.

Cons

Management left much to be desired. They were fairly out of touch with the work distribution (or didn't care) so some employees had a reasonable workload while others were staffed on highly complex cases requiring significantly more time but had little help with balancing these requirements. One of my colleagues was dealing with the sickness (and ultimately the passing) of a close immediate family member and there was an extremely low degree of understanding from management. In addition, most of the adjustors (with whom we worked closely as attorneys) were overburdened with work.

Jul 18, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Your description of your work team as collegial and helpful embodies part of what makes Zurich a great place to work. Thank you!

We are disappointed to hear that you had concerns with your... More

"Data scientist"

I have been working at Zurich North America full-time

Pros

Good work and life balance
    Good flexibility hours
    Good retirement package
    Good fitness center
    Nice headquarters building

Cons

Low base pay
    Consistent organization restructuring
    Not much advancement opportunities

Jul 18, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Your list of pros was a great start to our week! And it shows that our ongoing efforts to provide a positive work environment and strong benefits is paying off.

We benchmark our total... More

6. "Apprentice Program Not As Advertised"

Current Employee - Apprentice in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Apprentice in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Zurich North America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good, lots of PTO. The program can be a good opportunity to get into the company and to schmooze with different people. If you're young this can be a good first step in your career. If you're older I would seriously consider if you're okay with not having an choice in your career for a minimum of three years.

Cons

But the apprentice program was advertised as a talent pipeline that would help build you into a career with Zurich. Once you get into the program you don't get any agency as far as making decisions about where you are placed or where you go within the program, those choices are made for you. If you can wait out the three years then you apply to other positions within the company. The kind of work you do is completely dependent on the department you're in. Some departments pile a ton of work on you and others give you only limited basic tasks to perform. The company will utilize skills you bring in but won't teach you any technical skills on the job even though they are supposed to.

Advice to Management

Give the apprentices opportunity to grow and learn. They are hungry to prove themselves and can accomplish a lot if given the chance to do so. Set the bar higher you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Jul 18, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are proud to be a leader in the Chicagoland and Insurance Apprentice space. As our program matures, we continue to refine it so that we can... More

"Working at Zurich"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at Zurich North America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive salary. flexible work schedule

Cons

Overworked, understaffed, micro managed, poor management, favoritism. Too much politics. Bad health insurance

Advice to Management

Be fair to everyone.

Jul 10, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your continuous contributions to Zurich. We greatly appreciate your over 5 years of service!

Zurich does provide competitive salaries and flexible work schedules to our employees... More

8. "Harassment not taken seriously"

Former Employee - Claims
    Former Employee - Claims

I worked at Zurich North America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home is nice but most companies have this

Cons

A manager threatened me and I went to HR. HR determined that no policy was broken. I don’t want to reveal more details but if you are a woman, know that HR does not have your back.

Aug 7, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your feedback. Even though you are no longer with the company, we encourage you to provide further information by calling 866-873-0803 so that we can fully review the situation. Your... More

9. "Excellent"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Zurich North America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Flexible work at home 3 days a week
    -Management is always available for help. They really want you to succeed

Cons

-A lot of micromanagement
    -Become insanely behind after taking vacation/PTO

Advice to Management

n/a

Jun 27, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Five Stars makes our day!!! We couldn’t agree more with you - Zurich’s Flex-Work program is definitely a pro. It’s great to hear that management is available to help you succeed.

Thank you again... More

10. "Account Executive"

I worked at Zurich North America full-time

Pros

Policy coverages and value added services for customers.

Cons

Unstable environment with constant change and restructuring.

Jun 27, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. Although you are no longer employed by Zurich we thank you for your contributions and wish you the best in your future endeavors.

In order for... More