Zurich North America Reviews | Glassdoor

Zurich North America CEO Kathleen Savio
Kathleen Savio

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Difficult to balance work life balance due to excessive work load (in 25 reviews)

• Upper management turned a blind eye to that (in 33 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Lots of interesting work"

Current Employee - Manager in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Zurich North America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are initiatives going on everywhere in the company... sometimes it is a bit overwhelming, but you know that the company is focused on making things work for the long haul. If you like the idea of contributing to the future of a company, this is a great place to be. If you are looking for a place where nothing changes, then you probably need to look elsewhere.

Cons

With change comes some degree of instability. There is generally transparency with what management is doing, but sometimes there is no way they can announce things until lots of decisions get made. So, it sometimes feels like things change before projects are ever final. But again, it is an exciting thing if you're into it.

Advice to Management

Try to coordinate the efforts through groups that are "in the know" so that work that is going to be set aside doesn't get done at all. Keep moving forward and creating a better place to work and do business, but keep in mind the needs of the people for stability and ambitions.

Jan 16, 2018

Thank you for your thoughtful and honest response. We are working hard to evolve and change in ways that continue to make us competitive in the marketplace, but as you’ve noted, change can be... More

2. "Zurich is a great place to work."

I worked at Zurich North America full-time

Pros

They really care about their employees development. Each year employees work with their manager to review their development needs and how to address them.

Cons

Corporate office is in Illinois so there may not be as many opportunities in other locations

Feb 20, 2018

Virtual high-five! We are happy you felt that your development was a priority. While our corporate office is based in Illinois, we have large offices with opportunities in NY, NJ, TX, GA, CA and KS... More

3. "Good Company, Lots if opportunity"

Pros

Summer Office Ours
    Lots of room for growth

Cons

Hard to adjust if you don’t have someone in your office to show you the ropes during the first year

4. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Manager in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Zurich North America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great salary, benefits and good people.

Cons

No job security. It doesn't matter how long you work there, or how hard you work your job is not safe.

Advice to Management

Don't get rid of the good people. Move them to another position.

5. "its good & nice company to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Zurich North America part-time (More than a year)

Pros

zurich is good client to work among them

Cons

nothing much to share about company

6. "Unfortunately the blind are leading the blind"

Current Employee - Claims in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Claims in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Zurich North America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

very good compensation package and culture in general - no complaints here

Cons

One of the biggest offices but seems to be the worst one. All starts with hiring. Extremely weak and superficial hiring process. Basically can you read and write? HIRED! Literally, nothing more is required at any level. Second issue, training. There is none. Nothing centralized or organized. You have to figure it out on your own or learn from someone who might or might not know what they are talking about - that takes months to discover. Thirdly - the team managers and the leads. Herein lies the true problem. They all have extremely limited knowledge but yet manage complex GL and/or auto teams. Team managers have no clue how to develop someone and are completely unqualified technically for the jobs that they have. This also ties back into the interviewing process. How can you ask someone technical questions or claims scenarios if you don't even know the answers yourself! About half of the managers and leads in Atlanta are from Sedgwick which is a bottom of the claims barrel TPA. They protect each other and what's worse, think that each other are good at what they do, which is why this office will never be anything more than it is. There are a few smart reps but they get overshadowed by the rampant mediocrity of everyone else so most just stay quiet. The ones that speak up are normally just shoved aside because no one wants to hear the truth or someone else who is completely incompetent might be talking. It seems that AVPs turn over, employees turn over but the managers and leads remain. I am very sad to be writing this review, it really is heartbreaking as I want this office to succeed so badly, however with the current management team the future looks bleak.

Advice to Management

Beef up your hiring process - start really qualifying people!
    We need knowledgeable managers that know the subject matter. This will fix morale and the turnover issue.

"Excellent company trying to reduce bureaucracy and inefficiency."

Current Employee - Risk Engineer
    Current Employee - Risk Engineer

I have been working at Zurich North America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay & benefits, front line co-workers, knowledge base, work/life balance. If you have a good manager you can do well.

Cons

Very limited opportunities to advance unless you work in an office, bureaucracy, inefficiency, metrics, some senior leadership/VPs need to be replaced or better trained. Managers do not get replaced even though they are not effective. The PMP and metrics process do not create a team culture and each person has to look out for their own best interest, especially managers.

Advice to Management

Continue down the journey to improve efficiency and reduce bureaucracy, but LEAN is not working!! Take a harder look at the mid level to senior leadership/VP level and make changes or train. The current culture and especially the metrics discourage sharing, new ideas and result in for each his or her own.

May 15, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager

We were so excited to see a 4-star review that starts with “excellent company”! Thank you for your 10-plus years of service with Zurich. We couldn’t agree more with your list of pros!

We are... More

"Mixed bag management, but great company culture"

Former Employee - Underwriter in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Chicago, IL

I worked at Zurich North America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing company with flexible work in and out of the office, great benefits, friendly people, great culture.

Cons

Bureaucratic to the point that your biggest obstacle will be internal vs brokers/ market conditions. Like all insurance, employs some questionable people in high places. You will be a small cog in a big system.

Advice to Management

Get rid of bad managers that consistently score badly on reviews.

May 15, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager

We were happy to read your review of Zurich as an “amazing company.” Being able to offer flex work and great benefits helps us deliver the great culture you described.

Earlier this month, we... More

9. "Claims"

I have been working at Zurich North America full-time

Pros

Work-Life balance
    Competitive Pay.
    Casual attire

Cons

At least in my dept, there was a toxic work culture that was allowed to thrive...
    Very narrow diversity..
    Constant threat of layoffs/downsizing creating a very cutthroat environment and management taking a backseat while employees throw each other under the bus and engage in unethical behavior
    Employees allowed to disparage others to make themselves look more competent..
    constant reports in every possible "metric" being run to gauge how/where you are behind...or where they can latch on to to lower your review score...

Advice to Management

Consider hiring an organizational psychologist to pinpoint the many issues that are not being addressed..
    Provide more transparency otherwise employees will speculate..and breed a very "sabatoging" enviorment

"Positives and Negatives"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Zurich North America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work Life Balance is good.
    Competitive pay.

Cons

Lack of energy from management. Layoffs every few years is not uncommon.
    LGBT is shoved in your face.

Advice to Management

Please stop the LGBT rainbow flags and flyers throughout the year and especially during the month of June. So many people do not morally agree with this. This is an insurance company, not a LGBT show.

May 15, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager

We are proud to say that our Diversity & Inclusion mission is to attract and empower the best people. We truly believe that being more inclusive and leveraging the diversity of our workforce will... More