Zurich North America Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Mario Greco

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance are none existence (in 24 reviews)

• Upper management turned a blind eye to that (in 32 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Lots of interesting work"

Current Employee - Manager in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Zurich North America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are initiatives going on everywhere in the company... sometimes it is a bit overwhelming, but you know that the company is focused on making things work for the long haul. If you like the idea of contributing to the future of a company, this is a great place to be. If you are looking for a place where nothing changes, then you probably need to look elsewhere.

Cons

With change comes some degree of instability. There is generally transparency with what management is doing, but sometimes there is no way they can announce things until lots of decisions get made. So, it sometimes feels like things change before projects are ever final. But again, it is an exciting thing if you're into it.

Advice to Management

Try to coordinate the efforts through groups that are "in the know" so that work that is going to be set aside doesn't get done at all. Keep moving forward and creating a better place to work and do business, but keep in mind the needs of the people for stability and ambitions.

Jan 16, 2018

Thank you for your thoughtful and honest response. We are working hard to evolve and change in ways that continue to make us competitive in the marketplace, but as you’ve noted, change can be... More

2. "ZNA"

I have been working at Zurich North America full-time

Pros

Great company to work for. Very bright management and good core values. Excellent retirement and pension plans, progressive benefits.

Cons

Short term goals don't always line up with long term goals. Have been known to go all in with an idea that was not really well thought out.

3. "Zurich is a great place to work."

I worked at Zurich North America full-time

Pros

They really care about their employees development. Each year employees work with their manager to review their development needs and how to address them.

Cons

Corporate office is in Illinois so there may not be as many opportunities in other locations

Feb 20, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Virtual high-five! We are happy you felt that your development was a priority. While our corporate office is based in Illinois, we have large offices with opportunities in NY, NJ, TX, GA, CA and KS... More

4. "Work Life Balance"

Current Employee - Premium Auditor in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Premium Auditor in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Zurich North America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Switched from another large carrier to Zurich in August 2017 and glad I did. Very proactive in seeking ideas to better overall process. No micro managing on numbers and stats. They look at the big picture. Work life balance and less stress. They appreciate experience

Cons

Health benefits are good but only offer high deductible plans

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the technology advances to ease processes for our customers.

5. "Intern"

Pros

Team work, great networking, over all incredibly positive experience

Cons

Very meeting oriented environment, made decision making complicated

Feb 6, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for the four-star review-we are happy to read that you are having an incredibly positive experience as an intern with us!

We also appreciate your candor in pointing out that we can be a... More

"Cutting Expense leads to short term gains but not sustainable long term results"

I worked at Zurich North America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with that forge long term bonds.

Cons

Layoffs! Once thought the best part of working for Zurich was the stability. It seems they are more concerned providing investors short term gains than long term sustainable results. If you eliminate your best most experienced staff, results will eventually will catch up. Things work out though, these employees will be picked up by your competitors.

Advice to Management

?

"Expense reduction steady drumbeat at Zurich"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Executive/Claims
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Service Executive/Claims

I have been working at Zurich North America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great autonomy; formal work remote policy; great fitness center; summer hours.

Cons

Forced ranking and performance calibration remains a formal policy at Zurich. It is consummate water cooler talk, a morale killer and a punitive means of performance evaluation. Claims staffing models have become unreasonable and a pattern of claim office consolidations has caused files to be reassigned throughout the country.

Advice to Management

In lieu of lay-offs or “riffs” consider offering early retirement packages; place resources and personnel behind the marketing commitment of “tailor made customer solutions”. Expense reduction has been a steady drum beat for five years, yet profits are consistently significant.

"Your career at Zurich is what you make of it."

Current Employee - Senior Underwriting Assistant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Underwriting Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Zurich North America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary is competitive compared to competitors.
    Health insurance cost less than competitors.
    Vast amount of training and resources available.
    Work environment is friendly.
    Work from home & casual “dress for your day policy”
    Culture of company is open in regards to diversity.
    Training is sufficient. They don’t just throw you in.

Cons

Management is constantly breathing down your neck.
    Performance review is unfair. Distribution of performance grades are predetermined regardless of individual’s performance. Processes are highly inefficient. Constant measurement of KPIs and metrics becomes overbearing. Difficult to balance work life balance due to excessive work load. Constant implementation of new tasks that dilutes efficiency.
    Highly political. Depending on your location promotions and opportunities are hard to come by.

Advice to Management

Take care of your people and they will take care of you.

Feb 2, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager

What a great list of pros! We love that you value our friendly work environment, newly introduced “dress for your day” policy, solid training, and diverse culture.

Thank you for your feedback... More

9. "solid insurer... lots of change."

I worked at Zurich North America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

strong balance sheet, well known in market place, lots of great people

Cons

things always changing, a good amount of bureaucracy, merit increases don't differentiate based on performance

Advice to Management

balance strong controls/management with front-line workforce

Feb 6, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your 10+ years of service. We agree that our people are great, we have a strong balance sheet and we are well known in the market place.

As we strive to become more efficient and... More

"Beware - Lay Off Could Be In Your Future If You Come Work For Zurich"

I worked at Zurich North America full-time

Pros

401k 100% match up to 6%, average insurance benefits, good PTO

Cons

They have manipulated the Oz Principle so that anyone who points out an issue with the company is "thinking below the line". Management's view is that any problem an employee has is not the company's fault, it is the employee being negative and is the problem.
    Although when hired they spoke a great deal about looking for long term employees my tenure was short due to their recent layoffs. I was hired into a division they knew they were going to make significant cuts to, I left a good job to accept this opportunity and I am very sorry I did. Do not leave a job to go to work for Zurich, the company is too unstable.

Advice to Management

Stop hiding behind "above the line/below the line" and learn to accept feedback as an opportunity to improve the company. Don't post/fill job reqs when you have a good indication they will be eliminated in foreseeable future. Don't list integrity as a core value when you don't live it.

Feb 7, 2018 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Even though you were with us for a brief time, we appreciate your service to Zurich. All companies must continue to evaluate their organizations to become more efficient and effective, and work may... More