KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Zurich North America

Is this your company?

Zurich North America

Add a Review

Zurich North America Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Jan 1, 2021

Found 46 of over 1,067 reviews

3.8
Zurich North America CEO Kristof Terryn
Kristof Terryn
Pros
  • "good leadership, great management and work life balance(in 85 reviews)

• "Flexible, strong compensation package, good benefits(in 75 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Felt restricted by corporate in many areas; out of state upper management(in 39 reviews)

• "Difficult to balance work life balance due to excessive work load(in 31 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Zurich North America and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

The Best Company I've Been At

Nov 26, 2015 - Underwriting Assistant in Parsippany, NJ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Been with this company for several years and the group morale is amazing. Everyone works great as a team and the benefits are pretty good. The healthcare isn't the best, but the starting pay is so worth it. They offered so much more than I asked for and thousands more than anything else in the area. The yearly bonus is great too. About 5% of your pay will be given as a bonus every April. Stick with this company and you'll really be enjoying your career.

Cons

Upper management doesn't even notice you're there. They won't come around and talk to you AT ALL. They avoid the "little people" and just care about their back pocket.

2. 3.0

Disappointing

Jan 1, 2021 - Claims Specialist in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good people (excluding upper management). Stable company.

Cons

Upper management informed us right before Christmas that they made the "difficult decision" not to give anyone a raise this year. They cited multiple reasons such as COVID, natural disasters, etc. They then turned around and bought another company for $4 billion dollars. They also quoted an article they found citing some other companies were not giving raises, etc. So I guess citing this article justifies not giving anyone raises at Zurich even though for the entire year we have been told about how good the company is doing financially, etc. Also, in an infoshare they even admitted they made money this past year "off the backs of the employees" but yet they do not want to reward anyone for their contributions. There have numerous people doing the jobs for 2-3 people this past year and some doing jobs in other areas of the company they don't normally work in. It's not like the raises they give are that great anyway and they can't even do that. They got a high rating recently in employee opinions regarding the company. This was of course before the no raise announcement they waited to give right before Christmas. I am willing to bet that these other companies that aren't giving raises are not buying $4B companies etc. The fact of the matter is they are using COVID as an excuse to not give raises. There is no one that doesn't believe that. Everyone is thankful to have a job but just because we have a job doesn't mean take advantage of us.

3 people found this review helpful

Talent Acquisition Manager

Zurich appreciates you taking the time to post a review, and we are glad to hear you enjoy working with your colleagues. 2020 was a difficult year for everyone. Like many companies throughout the U.S., Zurich has had to make some difficult financial decisions in these uncertain times. We will be sharing your comments with our management team and wish all our employees a brighter 2021.

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Solid for a call center position

Jun 9, 2020 - Customer Care Professional in Colorado Springs, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Direct management really cares about your success. Good work environment, coworkers are friendly, minimal drama.

Cons

Not a lot of room for advancement, very long term investment if so. Felt restricted by corporate in many areas; out of state upper management

Be the first to find this review helpful

Talent Acquisition Manager

We are proud of the support our Customer Care Center provides to our customers. Our Customer Care Professionals are a key ingredient to Zurich's successful operation. We couldn't agree more with your list of pros. Zurich strives to provide a cohesive environment, where employees are truly empowered to be their best. We were sorry to read that you felt there was no room for advancement. Zurich offers many opportunities, both promotional and lateral for employees to expand their career. We hope you will consider Zurich again in the future. Please check out our career site at www.zurichna.com/careers. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

4. 1.0
      Former Employee

PLEASE STOP THE NEPOTISM - it’s TOXIC to the culture!

Dec 18, 2019 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flex work, generous PTO and many other employee benefits. There are several hardworking and ethical professionals who live up to the company’s stated purpose and values.

Cons

There is a severe lack of level playing field when it comes to internal hiring and promotions. It’s more often than not a case of who you know, not what you know, and how much they trust you to do their bidding. That is the epitome of a company that is anything but meritocratic. Other companies give “friends & family” discounts. This one is about hiring and promoting friends and family at the expense of meritocracy - precisely why so many talented people have left the company in recent years. And precisely why their Glassdoor rating is below average perennially for a company that boasts the most expensive suburban office complex in corporate America. The nepotism is so bad in certain departments and upper management levels, it makes you wonder what kind of ethical values these so called “leaders” have and how they can look themselves in the mirror. Especially when they hire and promote friends and family members while publicly talking about having an inclusive culture and values. Imagine just how demoralizing that feels for those who play by the rules. It all starts at the very top, which is where the true culture gets defined and shaped for the rest of the company.

7 people found this review helpful

Talent Acquisition Manager

Flex work and PTO are only a couple of the amazing benefits we offer to our employees. Zurich is very proud of their employees, the contributions they make, and their support of our purpose and values. We are “One Zurich”. Zurich strives to maintain a supportive and inclusive place to work, embracing new ideas, recognizing talent and rewarding performance, and finding ways for everyone to grow and thrive. We were disappointed to read the Cons you mentioned and feel this is a situation that requires further review. We ask that you please visit our Ethics and Compliance Line: https://www.compliance-helpline.com/EthicsandComplianceLine.jsp and provide additional information surrounding your feedback. The Ethics and Compliance Line does have an option you can select to provide anonymous information, should you so wish. We thank you again for your review, and wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

5. 4.0

Great Place to start career

Oct 23, 2019 - Senior Underwriter
      Business Outlook

Pros

Strong place to learn insurance business

Cons

Constant changes to upper management and strategy

Zurich North America Response

Zurich IS a great place to start a career! We work hard to give our employees meaningful and challenging work -- the building blocks for a successful career within insurance. Thank you for the 4-star review.

6. 2.0
      Current Employee

Great for a while, then leave if you can

Feb 6, 2019 - Underwriting Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

New upper management pushes work/life balance

Cons

Seems to be no way of moving up from this role unless you do the office politics game. Corporate training is a joke. Seems like a dead end eventually. Very few actually move on to better roles, including Underwriting managers.

5 people found this review helpful

Talent Acquisition Manager

Work/life balance is a great benefit, so we are glad to see that your new management team supports it. We want Zurich to be a company where you have the opportunities and support to succeed and build a satisfying and rewarding career. Zurich provides a number of tools and resources to help our employees identify and reach their development and career goals. Employment opportunities are posted on our internal career site so that employees can view available positions on demand. In addition, employees can set up a job alert to be notified when new positions become available. We encourage you to discuss your career aspirations with your manager.

7. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

HR

Nov 15, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Total rewards program is above average, PTO is generous, and their flex work options are competitive.

Cons

Still bloated at upper management, some nepotism is apparent, and highly political. I do like Kathleen Savio though, she has her work cut out for her.

7 people found this review helpful

Talent Acquisition Manager

Zurich’s Total Rewards, PTO, and Flex Work ring true with so many, as we see these regularly listed as Pros. We also enjoyed reading your like Kathleen Savio. We like her too, and think she is doing an amazing job. Thank you for providing your insight on Human Resources Operations. We will share your feedback with Human Resources leadership. In closing, we want to acknowledge your statement that “Zurich is a solid company.” We couldn’t agree more. Although you are no longer in our employ, we want to thank you for your five plus years of service, and wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

8. 4.0

Decent Place to Work

Oct 2, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Casual dress, flexible work schedule

Cons

Upper management decisions, in the suburbs.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Talent Acquisition Manager

We appreciate the four star review! Casual dress code and flexible work schedules are definitely pros for us too. While our headquarters are based in the suburbs our flex work program allows most employees to choose work hours that help beat traffic.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Good company, on the mend

Aug 21, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Being an international company provides great global perspective and opportunities. Generally positive and family-friendly work environment. Beautiful new HQ is a joy to spend time in. CEOs have been solid - new one has already made some good moves to improve culture (which was already pretty good). Recent departure of unpopular upper management figure has drastically improved morale.

Cons

Slow to move/adapt. Not a market leader in innovations. Recent organizational changes (last 3 years) esp. in underwriting led to exodus of talent. Distant suburban location of HQ limits young talent pool who live downtown or in suburbs on other side of Chicago.

Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for the four-star review. Your positive remarks about our new CEO echo the sentiments throughout the organization. We will be sure to share this with Kathleen right away. With the launch of our Innovation Center we are optimistic that the ideas generated by our employees will transform us into a market-leading and innovative company. Our Flex Work programs and Commuter Benefits were designed to provide options for those commuting from Chicago to our suburban headquarters. Thank you again for your review.

10. 1.0
      Former Employee

Not a good work experience

May 9, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I worked with some very nice, hard-working people with whom I will be friends long after leaving. Work/life balance was OK.

Cons

This company has terrible benefits. It is also stuck in a very outdated 1950's mindset, and sadly, is very resistant to change. In Information Technology there is very little room to advance of grow your skills. Getting promoted is next to impossible. Upper management seems to realize that these are serious problems but has been VERY slow in addressing them. If I had any interest in new technologies or building new skills, I'd have to pursue learning on my own, outside of work.

9 people found this review helpful

Talent Acquisition Manager

We were disappointed to read that you felt we offered terrible benefits. Zurich regularly compares our benefits package to others in the industry and we are proud to say that our benefits rank in the top third when compared to our Insurance competitors. We were also disappointed to read you did not feel advancement opportunities were readily available to you and you had concerns with the performance review process. We are pleased that changes have been made this year to bring together performance and development into one integrated process. Employees and managers will participate in four formal conversations around performance and development. We are confident this new approach will foster regular feedback and will better align with our purpose and values. We will be sure to share your feedback with Senior Leadership.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 46 Reviews