KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Zurich North America

Is this your company?

Zurich North America

Add a Review

Zurich North America Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 24, 2021

Found 115 of over 1,067 reviews

3.8
Zurich North America CEO Kristof Terryn
Kristof Terryn
Pros
  • "good leadership, great management and work life balance(in 85 reviews)

• "Flexible, strong compensation package, good benefits(in 75 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Felt restricted by corporate in many areas; out of state upper management(in 39 reviews)

• "Difficult to balance work life balance due to excessive work load(in 31 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Zurich North America and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Good place to work

Jan 24, 2021 - Commercial Property Underwriter in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Promotes work/life balance - Management & team comradery - Benefits are good, match 6% of 401k

Cons

- slight disconnect cross-departmental wise

Talent Acquisition Manager

Zurich appreciates your review and is happy to hear you feel connected with your team and manager as well as a sense of work/life balance. As we add technology and enhance our communications platforms, TEAMS will continue to be a portal where various departments can connect and share information.

2. 5.0

Hit the Job Lottery.

Nov 12, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company! Finally found some work/life balance within the auto industry. You create your own schedule and your bosses do not micromanage as long as you communicate and your accounts are happy. They say you work from home, but really you end up working out of your car, putting on 50k+ miles per year. They constantly give you new challenges within your job and programs within the company that allow for person growth. You will get out of it what you put into it. I have never worked harder or challenged myself more in my life, but love going to work every day. They also hire the best people as I am truly inspired and motivated by those around me every single day. I truly feel I hit the job lottery.

Cons

Working from home office had its positives and negatives. It becomes difficult to turn it off and I find myself working at all hours of the day. That is not really a con of the company, as it is not their requirement but my own fault. I have yet to find a real negative to working for Zurich.

Talent Acquisition Manager

Zurich appreciates your five star review. We are happy to hear that you enjoy your work and feel you are able to grow. During this difficult time, it can be challenging to work from home. We encourage you to check out our resources, articles, speaker series and podcasts on ChannelZ as well as our WorkPlace groups devoted to supporting our employees during COVID and balancing the many stresses of life.

3. 1.0

Financial Analyst

Nov 5, 2020 - Financial Analyst in Schaumburg, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Salary is decent but not the best, nice new building, covered parking, generous PTO

Cons

Many of the things promoted (good work life balance, community feeling, game room, listening to their employees via surveys) are all just talking points and are never actually seen in practice, or looked down upon when taken advantage of. Hard time lines before promotion, no exceptions despite qualifications managers have no concept of their employees workload and often take on more responsibility despite their team already working extra hours to meet expectations set in place by manager generous PTO that is often looked down upon when used raises & bonuses are based on arbitrary ranking system that makes no sense and has way too much objectivity to it, allowing managers company wide to affect any individuals raise or bonus When normal hours are taking managers view this as a “reward” Many employee surveys are given out with no change in behavior from top down

4 people found this review helpful

Talent Acquisition Manager

Zurich thanks you for your review, and we are glad to hear you enjoy several components of our benefits package. Many of our workforce changes and enhancements have been based on our employees’ input through our surveys and Idea Center. Additionally, we encourage you to have regular dialogues with your manager through our Self Reflection touch-points during the year to help ensure your voice is being heard. Also, please visit ChannelZ for details on our STIP program to obtain an overview of our incentive plan as well as FAQs. We will share your feedback with our Finance team.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great Company to work for

Jan 21, 2021 - Reinsurance Financial Analyst in Schaumburg, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

good leadership, great management and work life balance

Cons

i have had no issues working here.

Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your five star review and comments about our leadership and work culture. At Zurich, we are looking forward to a great 2021.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing company culture and leadership team

Oct 1, 2020 - Recruiter in Schaumburg, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Progressive company that sets goals to be socially and environmentally responsible while taking quick action to get there. Diverse, inclusive and equality focused culture . So many growth and development opportunities to continue a long career within the company. A dedication to work life balance that has been proven time after time especially during the pandemic.

Cons

I have not run into any in my 2 years

Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your five star review. We are so glad to hear you feel a sense of belonging, appreciate our commitment to helping our employees live a balanced life, and support Zurich’s purpose of creating a brighter future to our people, environment, customers, and communities. Our success is truly driven by people like you.

6. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good company but behind the times

May 21, 2020 - IT Project Manager in Overland Park, KS
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture: great culture as they empower their employees to own their work and drive results. Compensation: above market average at the time I was employed there. Good bonus structure too, and spot bonuses for work that was above and beyond. Excellent work/life balance. You could even sign an agreement to work a certain amount of days from home every week (barring the need to alter for the business). Industry: stable and will always be needed.

Cons

The company technology across the enterprise is way behind other companies. They were trying to get on to Windows 10 and Office 365 when I was there, which is a few years back of other companies I'm familiar with. And those were projects, which took resources and time. Insurance, by nature, isn't the most exciting field, but you do see the other side and how complex it can be. The company also had many departments, especially IT, continually reorganizing and it was a nightmare for me as I had three managers in my first 6 months. Not ideal.

2 people found this review helpful

Talent Acquisition Manager

We are so glad you enjoyed our work culture as Zurich receives that positive feedback a lot. Zurich is a company that encourages employees to be the CEO of their career, and you’re right, we do empower our employees to own their work, and drive results. The insurance industry might have felt stifled and slow to embrace change in the past. However, Zurich is very optimistic about driving future change in the industry and focusing on innovation. In fact, it’s an exciting place to be right now. We will share your review with the Sr. IT Leadership Team. Zurich sincerely wishes you all the best in your future endeavors. Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

A Great Company That Focuses on Their Customers and Employees

Apr 18, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Zurich has many opportunities for their employees to further their career. As individuals we drive our career path. Management partners with their employees on career development, both lateral and promotional. Zurich is amazing when it comes to work / life balance. Zurich's compensation and benefit options are amazingly competitive, In fact, I'd say better than other companies. Zurich embraces the ideas of their employees. All have a voice. Zurich is highly engaged in community events and activities, and encourages all employees to get involved. Lastly, there are roots at Zurich: It is not uncommon to hear a current employees spouse / child / relatives / friends / neighbors work at Zurich too. The pros of being a Zurich employee goes on and on.

Cons

The only con I can think of is having to interact with people who are fortunate enough to have an opportunity with such a great company, and don't appreciate it. These individuals are typically the ones who expect the world, yet contribute minimally, consistently complain on the most minimal of things, and then question why their career is going no where. There are several reviews on Glassdoor that speak about poor morale. The morale overall is very positive, with the exception of having to interact with the type mentioned .

2 people found this review helpful

Zurich North America Response

We love that you describe us as a “great company that focuses on our customers and employees” – exactly how we hope to be described! Your list of pros is a comprehensive, and highlights many of the initiatives that we are working diligently to move forward. Our managers do partner with their employees on skill development, career growth, work/life balance, and ensuring everyone has a voice. Which is why we see long tenure and a strong employee referral rate for our open positions. Thank you for sharing your cons, and for your advice to management – all of which will be shared with our Leadership team.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great working culture

Aug 6, 2020 - Underwriting Associate
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people to work with and great work/life balance.

Cons

It's not easy to advance.

Talent Acquisition Manager

We love your five star review! Our people are the foundation to our success and providing a Total Rewards package that supports their needs at and away from work is an important component of how we care for our employees. Zurich recently created a Talent Marketplace where employees (depending upon their workload) can gain additional knowledge and skills through business critical assignments. For more information, please connect with your manager.

9. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Great people and great benefits.

Jun 16, 2020 - Senior Actuarial Analyst in Schaumburg, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Enjoyed nearly every person I worked with. Work/life balance was really good for the vast majority of the year. Benefits were very very good.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Employment Brand and Diversity Sourcing Strategist

Thank you for the review. Zurich is so happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us. We wish you the best with your future endeavors. Please remain in touch and continue checking out our new career opportunities on zurichna.com/careers.

10. 3.0
      Current Employee

N/A

Oct 20, 2020 - Underwriter in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

One pro is good work/life balance.

Cons

Poor training to middle management.

1 person found this review helpful

Talent Acquisition Manager

We appreciate your review and that you are able to enjoy life balance. Our TotalRewards programs give our employees a number of ways to focus on what matters the most. Zurich continues to enhance our training and development programs. If there are additional ways we can support the development of our employees, we encourage you to share with us your feedback and suggestions in our Idea Center.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 115 Reviews