Zygo Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Chris L. Koliopoulos

"Great opportunity for early-career engineers"

Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Middlefield, CT

I worked at Zygo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Despite it's downfalls, I had a great time working as an Applications Engineer at Zygo at a satellite office. Even though my career path was limited, I got a lot of exposure to companies, people, conferences, and held a number of incredible responsibilities for someone right out of college. You're dealing with clients who are purchasing very expensive equipment and you're often their first point of contact. Very challenging position.

Cons

Dead end, career-wise. Lower pay than average. A lot of drama and politics when you visit headquarters. A lot of he-said she-said, but you can easily avoid that by keeping conversations casual.

2. "Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Expertise in the field of glass making

Cons

Bought startup and had no idea how to integrate it with the parent company

3. "Mechanical Designer"

Former Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Tucson, AZ

Pros

small comfortable good people to work with

Cons

not enough projects to keep more than one or 2 ME's busy in tucson

Advice to Management

none

"Horrible place to work as a software engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer I in Richmond, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer I in Richmond, CA

I worked at Zygo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I seriously don't know what to say here. Maybe some people are nice? I can barely reach 20 words minimum requirement LOL.

Cons

There's a lot to say here.
    Stagnant management: An easy small change would need a long time to propagate to the upper level management / system. Management doesn't understand software but still arragont about they know it.

You are told what to do: And that is pretty much what you can do there. Management prepares the project for you and you finish it. No room for discussion. No choice of projects to work on. A small technical efficient change on implementation would take days for management to agree. Imaging explaining technology to people don't care or understand technology. That makes ppl frustrated.

Projects are boring, non-innovative:
    Here it tights up to the last point. You are told what to do, so non-innovative management gives boring projects for sure.

Poor software development environment:
    No easy develop environment setup, you have to write everything from scratch. I basically need to spend a lot of to time create tools for myself. A lot of core level software need to be re-design or rewrite for a better and a more understandable code structures. Yet the management is afraid the changes.

You are on your own:
    People don't know software here, so you are on your own to solve the problems. No discussions happen because they don't understand the problem you are facing. The management even blame you for taking more time to make better approaches to the problem.

Overall, I wish I can give a 0 star. It was a waste of time joining this company. Totally not recommended for software engineer.

Advice to Management

They need to have a lot of changes. They need people that can accept the changes. They need to understand it's the changes that drives this company forward.

"Waste of time. Dumbed down."

Former Employee - Senior in Richmond, CA
    Former Employee - Senior in Richmond, CA

I worked at Zygo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can't think of anything worth mentioning. Perhaps the healthcare plan once past the waiting period.

Cons

Mega politics / bullying with Ma-Pa start-up culture and turf wars. Favoritism with old-time prima-donna's running the place who are not well-rounded to modern corporate culture. Need new org structure, kick out pseudo-managers and get in real leaders. Lack of modern infrastructure, facilities, processes, etc. Contempt for documentation. Engineering hacks. Falsifications. Horrible integrity/ethics. Discriminatory. By far, the worst company I've worked for. Was a major career mistake!

Advice to Management

Get some experience at a good company first and embrace good culture.

"No name"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Richmond, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Richmond, CA

I have been working at Zygo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very bad company, it is lay off people smart

Cons

Illegal
    Lawsuit in their way

Advice to Management

Lawsuit

"Great people and technology... horrible management"

Current Employee - Technician in Middlefield, CT
    Current Employee - Technician in Middlefield, CT

I have been working at Zygo full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Cutting edge technology, top rate engineering and production people. The products and technology was the most impressive I have worked with and there are a lot of very smart and motivated people on the production floor. I really learned a lot in my years at Zygo. I started with an electronics background but learned a lot about optics and the manufacturing process while I was there.

Cons

Upper management clueless and holding company back. Company politics and kissing up to management valued over work quality and product knowledge. When work got slow lay offs were based on who was kissing up rather than who was the most productive and knowledgeable employee.

Advice to Management

They need upper management with knowledge of manufacturing process and organization, too much company politics and game playing. With proper management this company could really go places and be GREAT place to work. As it was when I was laid off there were great things about it but dealing with upper management was painful!

"Good place to make your mark"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middlefield, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middlefield, CT

Pros

Plenty of independence. Work product is appreciated. Co-workers are respectful. Supervisor understanding. Work is not repetitive. All levels of employees are on the ball.

Cons

Management seems to try hard, results lacking. Management is secretive. Little team spirit and team building. Direction is not a strong point.

Advice to Management

New CEO installed in Spring 2010. He seems to be young and entrepreneurial, shoots from the hip. Has a chance to turn things around. However, says things that are inappropriate, but since he's the CEO nobody calls him on it.

"Perhaps it's the Koolaid, but they seem convinced that this environment is good for me."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Middlefield, CT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Middlefield, CT

Pros

Zygo is a very old company with a lot of smart, technical people. It is definitely a great place to be if you want to learn a lot, especially as an engineer.

Cons

The politics. While the older boys are sticking together, they have certainly stuck it to the younger folks. This puts a damper to innovation and creativity (things younger workers may thrive on). Buyer beware: Zygo retains a lot of its talent because of its location. Once older workers are hooked, they are not likely to move away because there is little in the surrounding area. The younger folks are a little more mobile and Zygo seems to be unable to retain them.

Zygo also tends to overwork and undercompensate their workers. I've had to deal with many complaints of this in the past, but because of the structure, a manager could do little.

Advice to Management

Management often times forget that the younger generation of workers need to be taught and nurtured, often driving them away. Compensate your workers, recognize them accordingly, and quit focusing on your exit strategy. If the company is good, the money will follow.

11. "If you want a technical challenge, this is the place for you."

Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Middlefield, CT

Pros

Zygo hires excellent technical people and has challenging products / projects to work on. There is good esprit de corp among the technical staff to get problems solved and help out co-workers. If you are interested in engineering challenges, this is a very good place to work.

Cons

Zygo is a medium to small sized company but sometimes it is managed as if it were a very large company.

Advice to Management

Take a longer term view on how to run the company.