Zynga Game Designer Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 15, 2019

4.3
Zynga CEO Frank Gibeau
Frank Gibeau
  1. "Game Design Intern review at Carlsbad office"

Current Intern - Game Design in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Zynga

Pros

Zynga has provided the interns an extremely friendly and open environments to learn and interact with industry people in the company. Things like Speaker Series and Hackathon have enhanced our experiences here in addition to learning and mentorship with hands on work. I feel very valued during this internship, and was able to access to resources while learning. Having dogs at the office to play with is a bonus.

Cons

Would expect more structured mentorship for interns. A one on one mentorship system would be great in my opinion.

Zynga2017-08-09
  2. "Excellent work environment"

Former Intern - Game Design Intern

I worked at Zynga for less than a year

Pros

Everything at Zynga is very organized. There was never any pressure to crunch because everyone was pretty on top of things. I always felt like I knew what I should be doing and that I had enough time to do it. Zynga is an excellent place to work if you want a stable job in the game industry (which can be hard to come by). They also provided free lunch which was cool.

Cons

They mostly make licenced match-3 games now, which I imagine could get a bit stale if you work there for multiple years.

Zynga2019-01-16
  3. "Great place with great mentor"

Former Intern - Game Design Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga

Pros

Excellent diversity in the teams. Great mentors that give awesome feedback. Giving interns real jobs that help developing the skills.

Cons

There is no hiring for juniors.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to R&D more and give them more freedom to try new platforms. New opportunities require enough resources.

Zynga2017-05-18

"Great opportunities"

Former Employee - Game Designer in Austin, TX

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits, good security in Austin. Great team, good friendships created. Open learning atmosphere. Designers work well with PMs. Good opportunities. Able to visit SF to learn more skills. Overall great place to work.

Cons

Not working on any groundbreaking titles. Focused on casino and straightforward wins.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Zynga2017-02-26

"Loads of perks to make terrible Management seem less awful"

Game Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga

Pros

Free meals great gym great health benefits good bonuses

Cons

Most of the upper management has no idea what they are doing and they are insanely overpaid "leaders" that are always absent, vacationing, clueless about the market they are chasing, and ask for constant last minute changes. Not tiny changes... but full blown core redesign changes, then they refuse to allow extra dev time. Micro-Managey ceo who completely ignores roadmaps and new IP promises... does not respect creatives at all.

Advice to Management

Advice to anyone that wants to actually make something new, or try something new, avoid this place like the plague. This company solely wants to play it safe for the investors and rip people off.

Zynga2015-06-21

"Company Imploding Under Weight of Incompetent Management"

Former Employee - Senior Game Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay. Cool facilities. Generally friendly and competent co-workers, some with a great deal of experience and talent. A good place to work if you're a coder.

Cons

Original owner destroyed management structure by listening to sycopants and sharks. Ended up with a company dedicated to sucking the last nickel out of an ever-diminishing client-base and throwing other employees under the bus for personal advancement. Became functionally unable to release decent games or to give a game enough time to grow and find its audience. Began violently restructuring every 10 minutes. I wouldn't work here again until and unless they managed to release several new and interesting and successful games, and I don't think that's ever going to happen.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves. Start with an entire clean slate. Create groups with the authority to make and test and release games without going through the incredibly awful vetting process. Stop rewarding managers for destroying teams.

Zynga2015-02-26

"Great People, Poor Management"

Current Employee - Lead Game Designer

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Benefits (food, healthcare, fitness) and great employees (the people who are actually making the games)

Cons

Management at the team level is sadly terrible. The group of GMs and high level managers that have remained with Zynga are still trying to use strategies from 2008 to determine how to move forward in a completely different game market. I have never worked for a more cliquey company in my entire career. I have watched people with little to no experience be promoted to senior and lead positions simply because they had worked with a particular manager on another project. I shouldn't have to hold a "senior" anyone's hand when using Microsoft Word or Perforce. Some long-term Zyngites seem oblivious to the troubles the company has had. The frequency in which I heard people brush off layoffs and other cuts in a nonchalant, casual manner was disturbing.

Advice to Management

When a team has three creative directors but no one to actually implement the vision then perhaps it is time to rethink the org chart.

Zynga2014-06-18
  8. "Great for learning and getting your foot into the industry, but not for everyone."

Current Employee - Senior Game Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Love the benefits and the salary. You learn a lot about the business quickly and a lot on how to build live products. It's a great way to start at a large company, especially since Zynga hires right out of college. If you're a go-getter, definitely a place to grow up your skills fast and get out of "entry" level. The new CEO is also proving to put in place business practices that I think will create stability in the company over all.

Cons

Zynga is VERY much a business (all companies are) and there is a lot of red tape when designing. Product Managers tend to own design at the end of the day and it can be disheartening. I minored in art, and the best thing I learned for a company like this is how to design within some parameter and make it amazing. It's an uphill struggle - but rewarding.

Zynga2013-10-28
  9. "Unique place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Game Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, excellent culinary department, but most of all great people.

Cons

You need to have an intense interest in social games. It's also still mostly driven by metrics and needs more emphasis on good game design.

Zynga2013-08-22
  10. "A Good place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Game Designer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay and perks, and good people in the trenches.

Cons

Seem to be stagnating and may have further layoffs

Advice to Management

Stop relying on numbers and get creative

Zynga2013-06-26