Zynga Producer Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Zynga CEO Frank Gibeau
Frank Gibeau
1 Rating
  1. "Great Learning Experience"

Former Intern - Producer Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Zynga for less than a year

Pros

My Zynga internship was set up in a way that prioritized my learning, I was able to shadow multiple teams and learn about production wholistically. Many of my coworkers went above and beyond to help me. Culture is absolutely amazing, everyone was very friendly, I would definitely work here again.

Cons

Overall, the experience was genuinely amazing. However, I felt at times that feedback could have been better. For example, several weeks into the internship I found out I had missed a specific meeting every single week because someone forgot to invite me to it on Outlook, but they waited a few weeks before addressing this with me. I think they assumed I had some reason for not going or was just trying to avoid a meeting, but someone had just forgotten to invite me, and this was stressful because I worried the people involved in the meeting had all viewed me as lazy or irresponsible. This and a few other communication lapses seriously stressed me out because I was so eager to do a good job, but overall, they are mostly understandable, and most of them weren't too bad.

Zynga2020-01-15

"Great mission of connecting the world through games."

Former Employee - Lead Producer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Top tier publisher of wide array of mobile games with global appeal. Alot of perks and benefits like gym membership, catered lunch, shuttles, bring your dog to work.

Cons

Zynga is shrinking it's bay area HQ so most jobs are in Texas, Chicago, SoCal, UK, Turkey, India. Zynga HQ is not a place where they develop a games and their best recent games are usually acquired.

Zynga2019-08-07
  3. "Good people."

Former Contractor - Executive Producer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga for less than a year

Pros

Really good people to work with. Free lunch that's better than Google's.

Cons

The company is in a mergers and acquisitions strategy so there is little true creative work going on.

Advice to Management

The types of games you are producing are dated and losing relevance. Continually reskinning Candy Crush is not the answer. Reboot your creative teams. Niantic and Google are gunning for you,

Zynga2019-07-23
  4. "Internship experience is amazing!"

Former Employee - Producer Intern in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time

Pros

Great events for interns to help them get to know the company and their role within it. Hourly pay is good, great experience for those interested in joining the industry. You also get 5 days of paid time off and a housing stipend.

Cons

Not a lot of attention is given to remote offices (non-San Francisco). They could do a better job of giving those locations special attention.

Zynga2017-08-08

"Hurting at the Leadership Level"

Senior Producer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga

Pros

Great company to start in, with many avenues of opportunity to grow if you work hard enough. Lots of great talent surrounding you on the game teams.

Cons

Upper level management needs work. Lots of political battles with leftover senior management that moved up way too quickly, with little management experience. Don't look for your career to grow much further from senior level, once you hit the ceiling of politics and favoritism.

Advice to Management

Value your employees. We are not all replaceable. Listen to them and help them grow into larger roles. Do not simply "empower" them by throwing your work at them, and then fault them through their mistakes. Get out of the clouds and come back down to earth.

Zynga2015-10-17

"Product Managers are treated like Gods here"

Former Employee - Producer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Having worked at Zynga for over 6 years I was able to see the quick rise of the company until where it stood when I left. Things move fast at Zynga and with that you're exposed to a lot of things. Employees are encouraged to develop their own processes, create innovative ways to produce content faster, smarter, and more efficient. Everyone has access to the wealth of knowledge and tools to deep dive into the company's analytics, making this company a great place to start your foundation in data analytics and reporting.

Cons

If you're looking to work for a game company this is probably not the place you want to be. Zynga is a game company last and a data company first. You may find yourself scratching your head wondering why many business decisions are made when it clearly goes against any principles of game design and logic. The company aims to be profitable first rather than build fun games first, followed by profit. Product Managers dictate the entire landscape of this company, that may be a good thing if you're a Product Manager. This causes problems because every decision is driven by one group's ideals and not for the good of the product, engineering input is only second to Product Management and designers are last.

Advice to Management

Management is very poor at taking care of their employees when migrating between projects/teams. During my 6 years at Zynga I was given the privilege to work with many game teams spanning across all the genres of the company. The downside to this was that the management and game teams failed to transfer any knowledge from one team to another. This caused a major problem for myself and many folks throughout the company because we would then have to build new foundations with new teams even though we were senior employees.

Zynga2015-06-26
  7. "Working At the Z."

Current Employee - Producer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than a year

Pros

Zynga's pay is very competitive. Their facility is also great, with a big building, full kitchen, and parking (for a monthly fee). The perks are awesome. Great food served daily, prepared fresh. Sometimes they send you to Hawaii if your team does really well. Luxury Suite at AT&T Park. Great people at the IC level to work with. They're good at hiring team-level people.

Cons

Unfortunately, once you get up to the executive level things fall apart. The Corporate Leadership team seems constantly lost, often changing the "company vision", like drunk swerving on the road they just don't seem to know which direction to go in. Morale is consistently low because of that. They also have trouble getting games out the door. Everything is driven by PM's, so creatives usually get back seated.

Advice to Management

Get it together, I guess? Focus on making fun, quality looking games. Don't EXPECT everything to be the next Candy Crush or you're going to be disappointed a lot. Do what you do, and stop with the fast follows.

Zynga2015-06-02

"Didn't deliver on the promise"

Senior Producer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga

Pros

Great Benefits, cool office, great food.

Cons

Product strategy is broken as they cancel more games than they release. Business thinking drives too much of the new product development and they end up with uninspiring fast-follow clones that they end up cancelling. This takes a toll on the creative people that they desperately need to be inspired. A good deal of the best people I worked with here have since left.

Advice to Management

Find the balance between business and creative ideas.

Zynga2014-12-13
  9. "Good people being worked to death"

Former Employee - Producer

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, incredible talent, and consistent raises

Cons

Super agile development leads to burnout and nepotism among management teams at least in my remote studio left entire team feeling unempowered

Advice to Management

Better training for management, longer project cycles

Zynga2014-10-13

"Great place to work on casual games"

Current Employee - Producer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits and everyone works as a team to get things done.

Cons

Upper management seems directionless and don't know how to create any new games except for FarmVille.

Advice to Management

Stop copying other games. Commit to new ideas.

Zynga2014-07-23