Zynga Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Zynga CEO Frank Gibeau
Frank Gibeau

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Benefits - Free food, relaxed work environment, centrally located (in 93 reviews)

• There are many perks: free breakfast/lunch/dinner, onsite gym, wellness services, dog friendly, and much more (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Since it's a gaming company there's literally no work life balance (in 61 reviews)

• Bad location for Chicago office, lots of turnover in upper management (in 38 reviews)

"Office politics/sf office has no job security"

Current Employee - Senior Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zynga full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, free food, onsite gym. Unlimited pto nice for some. Health insurance premium is free. Snacks and happy hours are nice.

Cons

Benefits are about the only thing that’s keeping people around.

New Cstaff moving key people around without thinking through consequences. If you weren’t brought in by the new cstaff then there is a high likelihood that your future at the company is limited.

More experienced people were offered “packages” to leave so they can be replaced with less expensive heads. Certain cstaff often eliminate critical headcounts from parts of the company and build under his own orgs. This is creating lots of operational inefficiencies. Let’s not forget that a big reason why the SF office has inflated labor cost is due to ridiculously high cstaff pay packages relative to peers.

Sf office culture is getting worse. Looks like most positive reviews on Glassdoor came from interns

"Slim but shady"

Former Contractor - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great perks. Great work. Great dogs. The work was definitely interesting and always kept me on my toes. Found that I enjoyed the line of work.

Cons

Business practices can be questionable at times. Was let go without any formal exit and wasn't even allowed to take home personal items. Really sketchy about it and didn't tell me why I was let go.

Advice to Management

If you can't even tell an employee that they are let go to their face, I don't know how you can succeed at keeping your company stable.

"Glorified Customer Service Rep"

Current Employee - VIP Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - VIP Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Zynga full-time

Pros

Catered lunch, trips, dog-friendly, happy hour every week or every day depending on how your boss feels, plenty of company outings, work from home, generous vacation and health care benefits. Lots of programs at your fingertips for free.

Cons

Constant lay-offs and resignations from the top down, plus lots of misleading objectives. That job description for a new VIP Account Manager is very misleading. Your day to day tasks will primarily involve taking constant calls from gambling addicts (VIPs) with too much free time, that expect you to spend your entire day talking to them. They will call you crying, howling, throwing temper tantrums, create fake illnesses, blast you on social media, stole my Facebook photo and edit it, complain to your boss and write the CEO. Aside from that, you will not be retrieving any revenue reports to assess your efforts, your skills will not grow, you will not become efficient in learning the systems unless you literally teach yourself, provided you have access. In addition, the disconnect between management will make it nearly impossible to provide any form of consistency to your client base. Oh and if you even blink too many times you will be pulled into a coaching to come up with a way for you to stop blinking so much. And meetings, meetings, meetings, meetings... boy will there be impromptu meetings in addition to the ones previously on your calendar. You'll meet to get told-off as a team, and you'll meet to give ideas, only for someone in a higher position to capitalize off of your idea while you receive no credit. To summarize, you will spend most of your day sending emails to the same people about the same issues, talking on the phone non-stop, mostly to the same people several times a day about the same thing again and again. Don't blink too much unless you want to be coached on a solution for that. If you want to deal all with that then please apply.

Advice to Management

It's frustrating to work in an environment where our direct manager constantly undermines her boss... the senior director. If I could give it zero stars I would. #Fixit

Zynga Response

Mar 13, 2017 – Employee

Thank you for your feedback. Building relationships with our players is key to this role and we believe that regular coaching sessions with your manager and meetings with the game teams are important... More

"Not a World Class Game Company- Mud of Newbies"

Former Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New CEO and crew know how to make great games
    CStaff are supportive of initiative

Cons

Feel bad for the incoming CEO and crew who are used to working with world class game developers.
     -Zynga is a place of bloated titles, people who failed up to VP status having never shipped a great game fill the company ranks.
    -Shallow CVs and Bloated Titles
    Tons of inexperienced GMs, Directors and Middle Mangers making game decisions wrecking the company yoy.
    A web company that makes games, does not treat them like entertainment
    Questionable accounting
    Operationally unsustainable
    Product Management culture overwhelmingly disrupts greatness

Advice to Management

None
    This ship has sailed.

"Good have been great"

Former Employee - Artist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Artist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, excluding upper management. Great perks.

Cons

Unwillingness to take risks. Missed opportunties second guessing themselves.
    No direction from project heads. Lots of thrash.

Advice to Management

Put trust in the staff. They have been hired for their skills and knowledge of development. Allow them to succeed and Zynga will succeed.
    Currently there are too many uninvolved making decisions that basically block success.

"If you like CYA this is the right place"

I have been working at Zynga full-time

Pros

Data driven company, so you can learn a lot about the mechanics of free to play games. Has to pay well for a game company to attract and retain talent.

Cons

Too many layers of management - an engineer in my area is 8 steps from the CEO. However none of the managers will actually follow through on any strategy. No one is empowered to make decisions, but individuals and managers are held accountable for the decisions of executives. If you like an environment where CYA is your primary job, then Zynga is a good place to work.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to keep everything secret. Set strategies and state problems to be solved, then let your workers solve the problems. Be smart about cost savings - cut half of the layers of management instead of cutting the people actually creating products. Most of all -- listen.

"Frank Gibeau is bringing in his minions to rob the joint"

Former Employee - Director of Engineering in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Engineering in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mark Pincus is an easily manipulated doofus who thinks he is a visionary. This allows people with no skills except for politics to easily move up the ranks within the paranoid snake pit.

Cons

You literally will spend a lot of time and effort and skills to what will most likely culminate in a rash and short-sighted decision. Ask anyone that has worked on any of the 100's of canceled projects that were underfunded in the first place. Frank Gibeau (who claims to have saved EA even though his main contribution to mobile [which he was demoted to after he was passed over by the board] was Plants v. Zombies 2, the steaming trainwreck. He was saved by Simpsons Tapped Out, but ask anyone on the nightmare that was the original launch of that product and you will know what a terrible leader Gibeau truly is. He has brought his failure friends from EA to drive down costs in SF to make it look like he turned Zynga into profit, even though the end result is a brain drain of epic proportions while funding Toronto and Oxford. Just a scam, but Pincus is too weak and dull to be able to stop it (just as Don Mattrick walked all over him as well).

Advice to Management

Mark: Just close down the company. You don't even like video games. You should dissolve everything and try and do some kind of social media venture. Zynga is a broken idea based on your marketing foresight in Facebook days. Give up. Stop doing this to people. You are failing because you don't even want to be in this industry.

"Horrible"

Pros

Perks such as free lunch and dinner, not that good though

Cons

Super political, HR was completely corrupt and played favors, totally opaque review process

"Temp to perm contractor in datacenter"

Former Employee - Datacenter Technician in Ashburn, VA
    Former Employee - Datacenter Technician in Ashburn, VA

Pros

Lots of great people in the Ops dept. All very easy to work with. Free snacks.

Cons

I was told by management that their hiring freeze would end and I would be hired on. Their hiring freeze never ended and my year contract expired. The DC I was working at started downsizing shortly after the company stock tanked after their IPO. Looking back, i didn't miss out on anything. I also heard nightmare stories about their creative depart.

Advice to Management

No one likes being lied to. It leads to poor reviews. As a datacetner employee, we were pretty much kept in the dark in terms of the organization.

"Still cannot get their act together"

Former Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Zynga has had some GREAT product. Also some good people.

Cons

Too many silo's. So many good people have left. A boys club. I feel sorry for women leaders there. Become another extension of Electronic Arts. I often heard, "I left EA, already".

Advice to Management

Hire more EXPERIENCED leaders. Stop micro-managing. FOCUS.