Zynga Reviews | Glassdoor

Zynga Reviews

Updated February 7, 2017

Pros
  • Many non-cash benefits such as free breakfast, lunch and dinner; as well as, free starbucks style coffee (in 37 reviews)

• Benefits - Free food, relaxed work environment, centrally located (in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • Since it's a gaming company there's literally no work life balance (in 60 reviews)

• Upper management tends to micromanage causing a lot of the thrash (in 38 reviews)

"Zynga--DON"

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zynga (More than a year)

Pros

Great parties
    INtellegent, FUNNY co-workers
    Sometimes interesting projects

Cons

Total Chaos--Re-orgs every 3 MONTHS, with NO reasons given
    Incompetent management, senior and middle
    NO long-range strategic planning

Advice to Management

Fire all middle managers -they are USELESS
    Actively try to retain good employees---they have choices, yo know

2. "QA Engineer"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

None for contractors !!!! but being a full time QA, you can get some good perks,food and studio offsite.

Cons

QA is treated at the lowest end and no respect for contractors . Every moment you will be reminded that you are a contractor and they will count every 5 mins even if you are going to the bathroom .Pay is way lesser than you can imagine . There is a discrimination between full time QA and contractors.. If you have family, then you can't take off if your child is hospitalized or work from home. If you are sick, coughing badly, still go there 😀😀

Advice to Management

Please hire knowledgeable QA not just anybody playing a sort of game .It's rather to have good technical QA people who understands technology , who can understand what developers are saying not just playing the game . Improve the mentality of certain QA leads who became the control freaks in the long run and firing hard working people to hire their own favorites .

3. "Perhaps the worst place I've worked in my career."

Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food
    Cool building
    Free zynga swag given away
    Lots of parities and money that went into employee events, offsites, etc

Cons

Sweatshop hours past midnight were the norm
    People were rude, mean and disrespectful to eachother, unfortunately talking that way was also the norm.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect and don't allow bad behavior.

5. "Great Perks at a Fun Place that has Lost it's Vision and Focus"

Former Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome building with a parking lot on the roof. Great food for lunch and snacks. Fun place to work overall.

Cons

Company has lost focus and way too much business shifts and competing objectives. Makes it hard to contribute due to no focus.

Advice to Management

Do one thing, and do it well. Don't try to do everything poorly.

"Wrong place, wrong time."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Zynga was in the right place at the right time to benefit from the explosive growth and viral marketing of Facebook. They had spectacular success up until 2012 despite tedious, uninspired game designs.

Cons

The company exists to enrich the founder and his friends, management cannot be trusted because they are focused on their own needs, not the needs of rank and file employees.

The company's rapid success attracted a bunch of phonies and posers who were only there for a quick payday.

Massive brain drain due to the stock's collapse has robbed them of most of their talent.

The company was built around Facebook gaming, now that mobile has eclipsed Facebook and Flash is pretty much dead, Zynga has been unable to transition to mobile as well as more nimble companies.

Advice to Management

You are not as smart as you think you are.

"Horribly abusive managers, inconsistent personal reviews, highly critical of personal life."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food
    Gym onsite
    Parking
    Health benefits
    Hardware
    Employee events
    Giants suite

Cons

Appalling behavior from executives and senior leaders
    Lots of favoritism and nepotism to determine who gets bonuses - not based on merit
    Inconsistent planning for the future, misleading speeches from execs
    Lots of layoffs
    Huge egos and snarky attitudes
    Unprofessional comments, lots of criticism 24/7
    Long hours (early mornings and late nights) only to prove oneself - need to stay even if your work is done
    Expected to come in when sick
    Lots of rotation with managers (5 in 3 years)
    Work through the holidays
    Micromanaged
    Dishonest leadership
    Crappy games that launch prematurely
    Lying to investors
    Terrible customer service for fans/players
    No care for audience, pure greed to take money from players
    Horrible pay

Advice to Management

Quit

"Stay clear!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Food, Rich in benefits. free massages. free food. free coffee
    + unlimited vacation policy

Cons

First, I am not a bitter X employee. I left on my own terms after 6 months and ran like the wind. Prior to joining this organization, I was told by several X co-workers to stay away. I wanted to learn on my own. Sure, you can bring your dog, they offer 3 free meals a day, have a cool gym, and an open vacation policy. Taking a day off is nearly impossible given the amount of guilt and pressure they put on you.

They aren't making any new games and their direction changes daily. Change is good in tech, however, this place changes way too much and causes fear among employees. The exec team and their EA’s have some attitude like they are the hot place to be. They need to get over themselves given the state of the company and a stock price at $2 a share! There is a head EA that is bulldog that can’t be trusted. She told one of the EA’s on my group that if they don’t do things her way they will be gone.

The CEO is not well rated but to be fair the original founder destroyed management and was not well liked.

Zynga had its day – stay clear of this joint and the exec team. It’s falling apart at the seams. There are SO many other great places in the valley to settle for this place. This place is an outside recruiter’s playground!

Advice to Management

Start over with entire new exec team

9. "Management is really bad"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Smart co workers and some fun people

Cons

Most people work themselves to death and the managers reward them for it, if you don't work 80 hour weeks you get looked down upon and excluded

Advice to Management

Rework your entire management structure and company culture, it sucks

"Placate them with Money, Trips, Food & Swag"

Former Employee - Senior Concept Artist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Concept Artist in San Francisco, CA

Pros

-great networking
    -amazing food, snacks, drinks, and a bar downstairs
    -a social place with lots of clubs and events
    -lots of swag
    -nice building
    -a gym
    -excellent health benefits
    -massages and acupuncture, nutritionist
    -good IT dept. to fix issues
    -community service that actually talks to customers of games and seems to care.
    -dog friendly

Cons

-i felt like i was being placated with all of the pros listed above to distract me from incredible intellectual boredom.
    -uninspired game making. jobs are so compartmentalized that the work is dry and boring.
    -office culture very competitive and at times people are willing to throw you under the bus to get ahead. sure, competitiveness is pretty standard at most companies, but when you are surrounded by competitve people all day who are gunning for your job, it gets tiring. i felt that coworkers were more concerned about themselves, their features, their titles and title progression and awards rather than the teamwork and products we were making.
    -a number of incidents of backroom deals for promotions that led to HR advertising to the entire company the jobs available.
    -i witnessed an art director ask every single male on the team for character design ideas except for the three women on the team who were just as equally skilled as the males.
    -little care expressed for your career development, which seems pretty counterproductive for the company and keeping talent around.
    -feels corporate (meetings, meetings to discuss meetings, etc), numerous e mails about setting up calendars and oh what a fantastic job so and so did setting up the calendar... gah!
    -some people I worked with seemed utterly useless. i sat next to someone who texted and surfed the internet all day and yet still managed to hold down a job. another guy had a bottle of whiskey next to his desk, which he drank all day and left at 2:00 unannounced. He also managed to keep his job. totally don't get how some of these people can stay under the radar.
    -stock = a complete waste. empty promises. MP and a handful of people made a ton of money while the rest of us were given empty promises.
    -never once saw a style guide for any game, lead artists non communicative, art teams were very dysfunctional
    -work-life balance completely out of whack. I felt like if I didn't put in a 10-12 hour day I wasn't contributing.
    -HR department can be downright rude. not everyone, but some definite stand outs.
    -Parking is a serious issue. Company refused to address it. I would have gladly traded in my free food and swag for a parking spot or a van carpool from across town.
    -I became sick with the flu right before a free trip for our efforts and couldn't go. Next pay check $1000 was taken out as "punishment". When I complained and even got a dr. note, the money was put back into the next check. I thought the trip was a reward for all of my hard work?
    -Some employees actually got fleas from coworkers dogs! That's terrible but also amusing - maybe dogs should have a note from the vet or something.
    -when i told the nutritionist that i was a vegetarian, she expressed deep concern because i might not be getting enough protein which would make me tired at my desk. LOL

"No concern for support staff"

Pros

Free food was pretty good

Cons

Worked as IT Support. Despite on boarding up to 200 people a week during my time, only 3 other hires were made for the support team. A total of 12 people. Management didn't care. No way to advance. I was explicitly told that there was no way to move to a different team and if I was unhappy to look elsewhere for a job. I did. Much happier now.