Zynga Reviews | Glassdoor

Zynga Reviews

Updated May 3, 2017

Pros
  • Many non-cash benefits such as free breakfast, lunch and dinner; as well as, free starbucks style coffee (in 36 reviews)

• Benefits - Free food, relaxed work environment, centrally located (in 89 reviews)

Cons
  • Since it's a gaming company there's literally no work life balance (in 60 reviews)

• Lots of indecision among upper management which comes down as thrash to the different teams (in 38 reviews)

1. "awesome so far!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Zynga full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is largely a result of the business plan brought TO Zynga by acquisition of our studio, but it's been 2.5 years now so assimilation is pretty thorough.

We're making games. It's REALLY HARD to make a HIT GAME. No one really knows how to do it…although some people seem to sense it better than others. We are blessed with one of those guys who happens to be our creative director, and we are KILLING it. We're expanding, and we are all working harder, and at a higher level, than basically ever before (and I've been at this business for 30 years next month).

Our studio's culture was very much "start-up", with a critical dose of "we know what MONSTER success in games feels like" as a number of us have experienced just that, some more than once. So we've carefully cultivated the kind of attitude and culture that leads to what we hope are the right conditions for lightning to strike. So far so good for our team!

Elsewhere in the org, Zynga, which expanded by acquisition as so many overnight sensations do, continues to go through the process of figuring out what its next magical mission is, and doing so with a fair amount of "newly large company" baggage. To their (and our) credit, the stakeholders of those central orgs have been receptive to our more "ready, fire, aim" strategy and have modified a number of practices that were (we thought) unreasonably slowing us down & making us less nimble & responsive. Results are mixed but overall, hard not to call the current direction of the org quite positive.

Cons

It's a BIG company. Stuff happens at a big company for reasons that only glancingly, in the short term, have to do with anything you or I are likely to touch. It can be VERY frustrating.

(I'll just leave that with no "but" to mitigate it…)

AND, that is NOT a distinguishing description of ANY large company. This frustration is offset by the inescapable fact that we still move a significant portion of player behavior around every day, all over the world.

Again not a distinction…but people work too long around here. Seems like we AIM to step away,and we're ENCOURAGED to, even... but it's actually very difficult when you're collaborating across 12 time zones.

Advice to Management

You have a cash cow. You have money in the bank. Screw the stock price. Streamline the rest of the company and point it to finding the real next great thing. Small groups, fast fail, rinse, repeat. Continue to cultivate that startup mentality; increase the amount of time you allow your engineers & artists to devote to sandbox projects.

Thanks for the opportunity to keep coming to work, for a pretty darned cool company, and work with a group of staggeringly talented peers.

"Great Teams, thrash among upper management"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zynga full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small teams where you can have a large impact, make video games for a living, your work reaches a large amount of people.

Cons

Lots of indecision among upper management which comes down as thrash to the different teams. Greenlight process for games is unclear, so its hard to tell how funding works.

Advice to Management

Have a consistent

3. "Energetic Place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga (More than a year)

Pros

Cons

the turnover can be high

"Zynga - nice employer, but boring games"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Zynga employs many excellent individuals - programmers, designers, and artists. They do take care to hire experienced and talented people in the industry. Zynga offers good benefits.

Cons

Zynga suffers from a systemic un-creative environment - Product Managers make all the creative decisions, and many don't play games.

Advice to Management

Have faith in your developers to be able to conceive and create top-quality, fun games that attract an audience, instead of redoing last year most popular games with a new skin.

"Fun place with loads of talent"

Former Employee - Human Resources in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time

Pros

Amazing technical and artistic talent, cutting edge games. Super fun work environment. Talented people who are good teammates.

Cons

Leadership changes over the last few years, but now back with original founder who is very passionate (and brilliant). Righting the course on strategy and development. I believe in their future.

7. "Director of Operations"

Former Employee - Director, Operations in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director, Operations in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

big scale, fast paced, smart employees, lots of learning. It's a great company to work for earlier years. Company has good perks for employees.

Cons

Focus change often, hard to get things done from start to end. Work/life balance is off, some politics and favoritism

Advice to Management

Be more hands off, let smart people do their thing, have balance for creativity than data driven design; Respect true talent.

8. "Good"

Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga (More than a year)

Pros

Data-driven, ambitious, great benefits, free food

Cons

shortsighted, lack of clarity in vision, weak morale, senior management in flux

Advice to Management

clear, long-term vision communicated to employees

"Great potential to learn, but can be tough"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time

Pros

- Opportunity to learn in a fast paced, ever-changing environment
    - some really great people
    - opportunity or make a difference through Zynga.org
    - still great perks (food, gym, health)

Cons

- so much potential, but still hasn't reached it
    - still looking for direction and getting everyone to work towards the same goal
    - too fast without enough thought means everything is made to be urgent unnecessarily and there is massive internal churn

Advice to Management

Listen to your players more - really listen to them. There is so much potential with this company still, but it needs to be guided by making quality games people love, not just trying to get them to spend more money in spammy annoying or creepy ways. Remember your roots - connecting the world through games. Do that and the money will come.

10. "Talent Acquisition"

Current Employee - California in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - California in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Amazing benefits. 100% paid medical for employee, Breakfast, lunch and dinner all free, free coffee bar, free gym, weekly Happy hours, bring your dog to work, ESPP program, equity , bonus and excellent pay. The people here are very nice and passionate about products. There is definitely room for career advancement and the opportunity to work on different projects. Exciting time to work for Zynga :-)

Cons

Very fast paced, moral can be low as we are in a turn around.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and keep listening to your employees.

11. "Start here, then move forward"

Former Employee - Senor Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senor Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time

Pros

The perks were awesome. The people were great. Everyone here loves what they do. The motto is/was "connecting the world through games."

Cons

The work/life balance is all over the place. Sometimes it's a great balance, and then at time they go way over the top. I've worked on weekends straight through the week for months at a time.

Advice to Management

Higher management are rather inexperience and/or lack leadership skills. They don't seem to trust the people they've handed the responsibilities to. Trust your team; they're going to do an excellent job.