Zynga Reviews | Glassdoor

Zynga Reviews

Updated January 20, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Benefits - Free food, relaxed work environment, centrally located (in 94 reviews)

• Many non-cash benefits such as free breakfast, lunch and dinner; as well as, free starbucks style coffee (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Since it's a gaming company there's literally no work life balance (in 61 reviews)

• Bad location for Chicago office, lots of turnover in upper management (in 38 reviews)

"Really came into its own in 2014."

Current Employee - Lead Artist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Artist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Zynga full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- After the Austin studio got kicked around pretty badly for a few years, it found its footing and became a healthy, stable place to work.
    - You get free lunches every day.
    -The benefits package is excellent, and the compensation is very competitive.
    - They absolutely recognize good work from employees at every level, with employee of the month awards and hero of the week call outs.
    -There are ample opportunities for career growth, from moving up into the ranks to switching disciplines altogether.
    - The culture is like working in a big happy family. There are multiple team building events and the different disciplines work closely together to make the best products they can.

Cons

- Dealing with the rest of Zynga is still a pretty negative experience. If you can ignore the stock price or what's going on in the company at large, then it's not an issue.
    - When faced with a looming launch deadline, you will be expected to crunch. It's not nearly as bad as a AAA game studio, and after a launch the pace of a game slows dramatically, but there will be a few months where to work/life balance takes a hit.

Advice to Management

Keep the studio agile and manageable and it will be great forever!

"Breath of fresh air"

Current Employee - Audio Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Audio Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Zynga (Less than a year)

Pros

Meritocracy through and through. Get your work done and you'll be treated like the professional they hired you to be.

Cons

Some things are a bit too open ended and end up wasting time to figure out, some formal training would be great for the future.

"The Art Team Culture is Supreme"

Current Employee - Associate Art Director in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Art Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at Zynga full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Austin branch tremendously values your growth as an artist. Figure drawing, free sketchbooks, sketch club, mentorship, demonstrations, outings. Sometimes it feels like art college, where you learn, work on your animation projects, and carry your sketchbook and obsessively draw everywhere. Supportive, approachable leaders. Highly effective production team. Clearly spelled out promotion requirements. Meritocracy. There is even a knitting club if you want learn to knit to relax and unwind a little. Also, everyone looks above-average and smells great. We can also really THROW DOWN at karaoke.

Cons

The snacks are boring and unhealthy. Seriously, that's hardly even a complaint. But if I HAD to complain about something - that would be the worst offender.

Advice to Management

Headquarters in San Francisco has awesome snacks. Can we have awesome snacks too?

4. "Animator at Zynga"

Current Employee - Animator in Cedar Park, TX
    Current Employee - Animator in Cedar Park, TX

I have been working at Zynga full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and pay, GREAT people to work with-- everyone I've met here at is just really nice, hardworking, positive, and generous with their time. I hear we have way less drama here than at your average game studio. Everyone is able to contribute their input to the game, not just leads (although they of course have final say), which makes you feel some ownership over the final project instead of just feeling like a cog in a machine.

Our art lead is really supportive and helpful when it comes to career opportunities-- willing to help you out to move in the direction you want to go in. Also, management is great at being upfront in a positive way, so if they have problems with your performance, you will hear about it and have time to address the issue-- not, you know, get thrown out by surprise.

Free snacks and free catered lunch every day, taco fridays, cute dogs!

Cons

This place used to be a 'no crunch time' studio, but with new games and a faster production pace, I think crunch is here to stay. It's not excessive and I feel that the leads genuinely don't want a crunch culture-- they don't pressure people to stay, just appreciate it if people do-- but it feels like it has become a necessity for staying on track.

Less a con and more a "you should know up front" thing -- 2d animation work here is a bit tech-involved compared to other studios-- we animators build and optimize our own rooms-- so expect to spend time learning how to use the compiler, how to debug issues, and the ins and outs of the version control setup. You will spend as much time doing that as animating.

Advice to Management

I really don't have any complaints for management-- as a potential applicant, if you know what you are getting into, then I think this is a great job!

5. "Stability and Opportunity at Zynga"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Zynga is a solid place to work that takes good care of their employees. The benefits are absolutely amazing, including onsite meals and snacks, and as far as I can tell, the compensation is at or above related local industry.
    There are also great opportunities to learn from amazing talent at the company, collaborate and problem-solve with other game teams, take part in social groups and activities within Zynga, tap into the various learning resources the corporation offers, and otherwise work on your own personal and professional growth.
    Additionally, Zynga.org offers charity matching and volunteer drives at least twice per year. Many studios organize really inspiring positive community efforts, such as working with local students.

Cons

At times we work long hours, but it's something we're working on improving in our overall processes as a studio. Our upper management genuinely cares about everyone contributing to the game and no hard work goes unrewarded.

Sometimes being a big corporation isn't a speed advantage in terms of the red tape processes.

However, the pros outweigh the cons, in my opinion.

Advice to Management

Keep caring.

"Almost five years......"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Zynga full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My motto is if you've worked at Zynga for a period of time, you can go anywhere. With that said, staying at Zynga has been non regrettable. While offers come in, while the marketplace is volatile and while there have been some bumps in leadership, Zynga is always non-stop - like NYC. There is always movement within this Company to strengthen relationships, internal and external, to be novel and to strive to be #1 again. Currently, Teams are putting quite a bit of energy into retention of employees through a structured bonus plan, awards, vested stock and advancement opportunities.

Cons

Again, the volatility of the marketplace and the volatility of the stock price is always a bust to demeanor and morale. Looking forward, if teams continue to be rewarded and advancement opportunities continue to open, it looks like Zynga will make a massive turnaround with cultivated teams breeding successful and fun results.

Advice to Management

Continue to cultivate and nurture teams, managers and external studios.

7. "Admin"

I have been working at Zynga full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work life balance, great pay, great benefits, great people!

Cons

The free food is great...be prepared to gain the Zynga 15.

Advice to Management

Minimize the amount of meetings we have

"Senior front End Developer"

Current Employee - Senior Front End Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Front End Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zynga full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance. Amazing office facilities. Laid back atmosphere. Motivated, result-driven managers. No glass ceiling, people can move up the ladder if they are driven and produce results. Awards and bonuses are used as motivational tool, as well as great communication on every level of management. Purpose. Fluidity in positions, no dead end jobs, people can move between different departments. I'm blessed to be having the opportunity to work at this Company.

Cons

Honestly, I haven't experienced any con's til now. Been working here for 2 months.

9. "Incredible Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

People here at Zynga genuinely passionate about their work with the goal of connecting the world through social games, and creating meaningful relationships for players. Zynga has great opportunities for growth and learning, especially for high performers. There is a strong “work hard- play hard” mentality across teams and people’s careers are rewarded tremendously. It’s a dynamic environment, surrounded with smart, driven, and motivated people. The office space itself is open and inspiring and they provide amazing benefits to reward employees (gym, 401K match, free food etc.). It’s rare to find a company with such a strong culture and mission.

Cons

I feel very optimistic about Zynga’s future.

10. "Company"

I have been working at Zynga full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great energy and a positive outlook for the future of games at Zynga. The culture is great and there are lots of perks such as bring your dog to work, bring your kids to work, free meals and plenty of snacks

Cons

I have not found any thus far

Advice to Management

Execute on the strategy and continue to make Zynga a fun place to work.