Zynga Senior Artist Reviews | Glassdoor

2.3
Zynga CEO Frank Gibeau
Frank Gibeau

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Benefits - Free food, relaxed work environment, centrally located (in 95 reviews)

• Many non-cash benefits such as free breakfast, lunch and dinner; as well as, free starbucks style coffee (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Since it's a gaming company there's literally no work life balance (in 61 reviews)

• Bad location for Chicago office, lots of turnover in upper management (in 38 reviews)

1. "Zynga offers fair salaries"

Former Employee - Senior Artist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Artist in Dallas, TX

I worked at Zynga full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary was competitive overall. I had the opportunity to work with some very talented people

Cons

Company's products are mediocre; their catalogue is filled with too many tap grinders and slots style games.

"Placate them with Money, Trips, Food & Swag"

Former Employee - Senior Concept Artist in San Francisco, CA

Pros

-great networking
    -amazing food, snacks, drinks, and a bar downstairs
    -a social place with lots of clubs and events
    -lots of swag
    -nice building
    -a gym
    -excellent health benefits
    -massages and acupuncture, nutritionist
    -good IT dept. to fix issues
    -community service that actually talks to customers of games and seems to care.
    -dog friendly

Cons

-i felt like i was being placated with all of the pros listed above to distract me from incredible intellectual boredom.
    -uninspired game making. jobs are so compartmentalized that the work is dry and boring.
    -office culture very competitive and at times people are willing to throw you under the bus to get ahead. sure, competitiveness is pretty standard at most companies, but when you are surrounded by competitve people all day who are gunning for your job, it gets tiring. i felt that coworkers were more concerned about themselves, their features, their titles and title progression and awards rather than the teamwork and products we were making.
    -a number of incidents of backroom deals for promotions that led to HR advertising to the entire company the jobs available.
    -i witnessed an art director ask every single male on the team for character design ideas except for the three women on the team who were just as equally skilled as the males.
    -little care expressed for your career development, which seems pretty counterproductive for the company and keeping talent around.
    -feels corporate (meetings, meetings to discuss meetings, etc), numerous e mails about setting up calendars and oh what a fantastic job so and so did setting up the calendar... gah!
    -some people I worked with seemed utterly useless. i sat next to someone who texted and surfed the internet all day and yet still managed to hold down a job. another guy had a bottle of whiskey next to his desk, which he drank all day and left at 2:00 unannounced. He also managed to keep his job. totally don't get how some of these people can stay under the radar.
    -stock = a complete waste. empty promises. MP and a handful of people made a ton of money while the rest of us were given empty promises.
    -never once saw a style guide for any game, lead artists non communicative, art teams were very dysfunctional
    -work-life balance completely out of whack. I felt like if I didn't put in a 10-12 hour day I wasn't contributing.
    -HR department can be downright rude. not everyone, but some definite stand outs.
    -Parking is a serious issue. Company refused to address it. I would have gladly traded in my free food and swag for a parking spot or a van carpool from across town.
    -I became sick with the flu right before a free trip for our efforts and couldn't go. Next pay check $1000 was taken out as "punishment". When I complained and even got a dr. note, the money was put back into the next check. I thought the trip was a reward for all of my hard work?
    -Some employees actually got fleas from coworkers dogs! That's terrible but also amusing - maybe dogs should have a note from the vet or something.
    -when i told the nutritionist that i was a vegetarian, she expressed deep concern because i might not be getting enough protein which would make me tired at my desk. LOL

3. "Baffling place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Artist
    Former Employee - Senior Artist

I worked at Zynga full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great health benefits
    "Free" breakfast, lunch & dinner
    Cool building
    New leadership (Mattrick) seems to know what it's doing and has implemented a plan to re-focus the company on it's core strengths before branching out into new territory. Upper management structure was also streamlined, removing unnecessary layers, etc.

Cons

Pay for artists is on the low side

Project level leadership is fickle at best. Project / design leaders frequently jump-ship to other projects that better suit their short term survival instincts, leaving the previous project in limbo until a new project/design leader steps in. The new leader invariably must leave his/her own stamp on the project so a re-design usually follows. Artists are constantly being shuffled from project to project.

Dog policy encourages many employees to become new dog owners. Many un-socialized and un-trained dogs roam around the office, barking, whining, peeing and pooing. Combined with the open floor plan, the racket is on par with Grand Central or JFK during the holidays.

Advice to Management

Focus on your project leads, encourage or enforce a little more discipline and commitment. Your project and design leaders need to stick with it and see their projects through to launch. Invest more heavily in pre-production game design and prototyping. Stop second guessing your seasoned veterans (those few who are still there).

"Mismanagement, too many levels of upper execs with too many opinions interfering with product."

Former Employee - Senior Artist in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Free food, complimentary gym, other perks.

Cons

Management, producer to game developer ratio is insane, definitive example of too many cooks in the kitchen.

Advice to Management

You don't need 4 managers per employee.

5. "A top heavy company that has it's glory days behind."

Former Employee - Senior 3D Artist in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior 3D Artist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with a great team of people when I was on CityVille

Cons

Copy of a.... copy of a... copy of a...

6. "Fast p aced development culture, yet lacks focus"

I worked at Zynga full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun office space, free food, cool coworkers.

Cons

company lack focus, hard to get a raise unless you are a Product Manager. Zynga loves their PM.

"Great people, poor management, poor environment, lacking creativity"

Current Employee - Senior 3D Artist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior 3D Artist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zynga full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will meet a lot of people that are very talented. I was quite surprised when I showed up.

Cons

The management is terrible, never leaving room in the schedule to be creative. You will be forced to follow orders and work late nights. It feels like a factory instead of a creative environment.

Advice to Management

DUDES. LET YOUR ARTISTS AND DEVELOPERS BE CREATIVE.

"Decent perks and compensation, at the cost of your creative spirit."

Former Employee - Senior Artist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great perks like gym, massages, haircuts, snacks, drinks, and meals.
    - Decent compensation.
    - Bring your dog to work.
    - Results-driven and fast-paced.

Cons

- Severely political to the point of hampering productivity and creativity.
    - Near-zero value for creativity, artistry, and innovation in products.
    - Too focused on metrics and numbers as opposed to creating meaningful user experiences.
    - Almost all projects are "fast follows" (copycats) of existing hits.
    - Terrible executive management.

Advice to Management

- Put more emphasis on creativity and innovation instead of just giving lip service.
    - Focus on a solid long-term vision for the company as opposed to following whatever is a currently a hit game to copy.
    - Stop policies that encourage political behavior among the workforce.
    - Value your artists, designers, and engineers just as much as PMs.

"It pays the bills"

Current Employee - Senior Artist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zynga full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some very talented people working here and the culture is generally fun. Food and onsite gym is a plus.

Cons

There are too many missed opportunities when it comes to making quality games. The company is lagging behind our competition with innovation, fun and mass market appeal. There is extreme favoritism when getting bonuses and level ups, you need to be willing to play the game.

Advice to Management

You talk innovation yet you stay in the safe zone and fast follow our competition. How about you actually give us the opportunity to make new and original titles?

10. "Great perks. Nice work environment. Company needs to refocus."

Current Employee - Senior Artist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zynga full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Beautiful facility. Great co-workers. Great salary.

Cons

Upper management is often confused and top heavy. Listening isn't their strong suit. Terrible advancement policy (or rather lack of one. Basically you need to kiss the right tail in order to grow)
    Company is entirely focused on copying exhausting games and less on taking risk and truly finding out the things that make games fun.

Advice to Management

Start having one on one sessions with lower staff. Ask them questions instead of talking at them. Listen. Foster creative environment by making smaller teams who experiment and innovate instead of investing big money in larger games and then canceling them when they do poorly.