Zynga "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 23, 2018

3.8
Zynga CEO Frank Gibeau
Frank Gibeau
  1. "Loved it! Great coworkers-Lots of talent."

I worked at Zynga full-time

Pros

Great games, Free food, bonuses, gym

Cons

Upper management treats employees like they are numbers. You never know when your project will get cut and you are out of a job-- no matter how good you are.

Advice to Management

Talent and people are HUGE assets. Respect them, they are not mere numbers. They are what drive the company.

Zynga2014-05-19

"A Bachelor’s in Business Politics"

Former Employee -

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Used to staff some of the best minds in the business to learn and work with. Now a great place to be working in the industry if you believe the game part of games takes a back seat to business priorities. A data lover's dream. Great perks and benefits including a great vacation policy. If you find the time to use it..

Cons

A constraining place to work in a creative capacity…all of it stifled by business priorities. Zynga saw a gradual migration of employees from other industry conglomerates shortly after their big game success who now occupy the upper management ranks. They brought much of the politics they claimed to run from with them. Other company leaders wised up and left long ago. Employees must have worked directly with these managers or risk being layoff targets. They hire for the job, not the employee except in very specific cases and job functions (seen them cut top tier engineers but not mediocre product/market analysts). If your game starts failing management will see you as fat to be trimmed rather than investigate whether you were one of the few actively keeping an imminent disaster from happening until it was impossible to prevent. A disaster management probably caused. Management did not exercise any professional means of evaluating employees during my time, and in many cases looked to an employee's prior reputation in the industry. It is why the last layoffs in January were done shoddily to save a few dollars and lost most of the top talent not networked with the upper management regime. Now they struggle to retain the remaining true talented employees and many left since the last layoffs. After they realized the cuts were too deep trying to satisfy the Street, I was called weeks later with an offer for my old job and it took serious restraint not to hang up. Letting go of what they need to satisfy ultra short term business goals is characteristic of the company. There was concern when they replaced the CEO with someone even more conservative and money-minded. After seeing no change in management or investors I share the concerns of my former coworkers.

Advice to Management

Take more responsibility but take more risks too.

Zynga2014-05-24
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Fast paced with opportunity for growth"

Former Intern - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga for less than a year

Pros

Tons of opportunity for advancement. Amazing perks and a great work balance for the most part. Fun product with great coworkers.

Cons

Lack of clear direction from upper management. There seems to be company wide reorgs every other month which greatly affect culture and company direction

Zynga2014-03-26

"Terrible senior management making awful decisions"

Current Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Comp is on the higher end for gaming companies, but on the lower end relative to other public tech companies. There are some good folks remaining but they're all leaving like flies. It used to have good perks when I started, but they have gotten rid of a lot of them (no more massages, haircuts, they also laid off my trainer in December).

Cons

Lowest morale in all of SF and Silicon Valley right now. The last round of layoffs ended up cutting some of the best performers at Zynga (HR and C suite's decision-making abilities are questionable), leaving behind some cheaper but very mediocre performers. My studio has too many leads and too political to get anything done. All upper management cares about is pleasing the investors (not their players or employees). They haven't been able to ship a good mobile title organically, so they tap into their free cash flow and acquire other mobile gaming companies while cutting headcount. Great for the bottom line temporarily, but terrible in the long-run because some of the top performers are gone and you cannot make great games without them. They always claim there will not be more layoffs but a 18% layoffs occurred in May and an 15% layoffs occurred in late January. Do not believe anything upper management says anymore.

Advice to Management

Your last round of layoffs was done carelessly. You cut some great performers and kept some very medicore performers to save several grand per year for each employee. Now the rest of us is struggling to keep afloat in an already terrible environment. Your investors-first policy is only great in inflating the stock price. In a good market like this, most of your talent would not bother staying even if they have not been laid off.

Zynga2014-03-01
  6. "fun work environment, smart engineers, (very) poor managers"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than a year

Pros

free food flexible vacation policy - if you use it! some really smart engineers solving problems as scale Don is making decisions which are impacting the stock price in a positive way (atleast for now)

Cons

middle and top management highly inexperienced - which fail to motivate high performers, and end up losing them. Since IPO has been highly unstable, and too many re-orgs every quarter. Compensation might have been good, if stock value had gotten north of IPO price (by comparison other tech startups are trading at 100-150% above IPO) office politics & you need to know the right people/ be in the right team to get noticed for your performance - no longer a meritocracy. Too many layoffs in the past 6-8 months, and the upper management has failed to deliver a consistent future plan.

Advice to Management

Have experienced and stellar engineers as Engineering Managers/Senior Engineering Managers - who are hands on and can motivate team members and steer them towards a strong career in engineering.

Zynga2014-02-19

"Clueless upper management and chaotic environment, but still some talented employees left"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are some really smart and passionate individuals left at Zynga, but they are leaving and will soon if they haven't yet. I am learning a lot from them. Depending on the team you work for, there are opportunities to learn and be challenged. The food is good.

Cons

Low morale coupled with long hours at my studio. Some clueless upper management making cuts to solid performers and then replacing them with people from other teams, whom the rest of the studio has to train. Why bother? Some senior managers were promoted too quickly when Zynga was still a start-up, so you have/had 20-something year old GMs who don't know anything about management and make a ton of mistakes.

Advice to Management

How will you make great games if you cannot retain your talent?

Zynga2014-01-31
  8. "Terrible"

Former Intern - Software Intern in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Zynga for less than a year

Pros

Well, Zynga does provide good benefits and extras, and the teammates I have worked with have been great. The teams that I have worked with are solid and know their stuff. I rarely feel like I am asked to sacrifice my life outside of work for unnecessary overtime.

Cons

I think the upper management is disconnected from the gaming industry as a whole.

Zynga2013-10-09
  9. "Overall a great place to work."

Current Employee - UI Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cons

I think the upper management is sometimes a little disconnected from the industry standards. I also thin the idea of cost-of-living raises is sorely lacking.

Zynga2013-09-26

"this dog stinks"

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zynga full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

+ Free lunch and dinner, free blue bottles coffee all day + no one there will help you set goals but yourself. if you like this kind of freedom, this place is for you.

Cons

- zero focus: change directions all the time because either management don't care or they don't know what's going on. clueless or just plain lazy. that's "Be your ceo" model. you make upper management left to do nothing but collecting paychecks. - HR dept is the most worthless , shameful dept i ever met. they build backbones around college grads. and only top game studios gets the bread. the rest of us gets the crumbs / weak hires. they failed to provide any real helps to make a dept successful. they suck, period. - Central QA is a joke. the whole dept is made of game testers and they were unqualified to force to test complex platforms. couldn't catch any critical bugs but central qa and their QA managers kept saying central qa is great for the studio. bs. look at how many bugs you couldn't find because you are not capable. and of course, it falls outside of the scope of qa coverage so it didn't count as misses. another bs. worthless team. should hire real QAs with computer science degrees. - PMs are jokes there. no freaking confidences on what they are producing. so they decide to run 10 to 20 different experiments to our customers for given releases.

Advice to Management

step up and take ownership.

Zynga2013-09-26
  11. "Great perks. Nice work environment. Company needs to refocus."

Current Employee - Senior Artist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zynga full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits. Beautiful facility. Great co-workers. Great salary.

Cons

Upper management is often confused and top heavy. Listening isn't their strong suit. Terrible advancement policy (or rather lack of one. Basically you need to kiss the right tail in order to grow) Company is entirely focused on copying exhausting games and less on taking risk and truly finding out the things that make games fun.

Advice to Management

Start having one on one sessions with lower staff. Ask them questions instead of talking at them. Listen. Foster creative environment by making smaller teams who experiment and innovate instead of investing big money in larger games and then canceling them when they do poorly.

Zynga2013-06-30