Cover image for Zynga

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Zynga Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Nov 26, 2021

96% Approve of CEO

Found 117 of over 1K reviews

Zynga CEO Frank Gibeau
Frank Gibeau

What people are saying about Zynga

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "The management is poor.(in 59 reviews)
  • "Some managers have made unethical and immoral decisions in the expense of the employees(in 34 reviews)
  • "Bad upper management, Non deserving candidates are at higher position in company(in 28 reviews)
  • "With the consistent poor leadership of those in charge, I'm honestly surprised Zynga can ever finish a game.(in 26 reviews)
  • "Lots of layoffs(in 22 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Zynga and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great place

Feb 3, 2021 - Producer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance, people, environment.

Cons

Pay could be better, building is nice, but commuting to it is difficult.

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company

Nov 15, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good at accountability Flexible work environment Good work/life balance

Cons

Ongoing projects that never seem to end. Some times work is crazy hours but mostly good work/life Limited career growth opportunities

3. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great work life balance; career advancement

Jul 6, 2021 - Product Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Great work life balance - Mentorship - Training

Cons

- Too distributed - Games are old

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Dream come true

Aug 4, 2020 - Director of Design in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

I’ve been a game developer for over 25 years. My experience with Zynga has exceeded my expectations in every aspect including compensation, benefits, and projects. The biggest dream come true, however, is the work-life balance: being given the trust and autonomy to work remotely when needed. Additionally, Zynga’s commitment to employee health and safety during the Coronavirus pandemic has made quarantining a smooth adjustment, and allowed the company to continue to grow and actually flourish since more folks are sheltering at home playing Zynga games. I am grateful and humbled to be part of the Zynga family!

Cons

I waited too long to look for a job here.

3 people found this review helpful
  5. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Experience depends on your studio

Jan 5, 2021 - Senior Manager Software Engineering in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits. Opportunities to move around the company. Your experience will vary widely depending on which studio you work in. Each game is like their own mini-company.

Cons

For less experienced hires straight out of college, it was very easy to not have a healthy work life balance. At the time I was there, they served meals from their kitchen every work day, including dinner. They have since ceased that, but even without that there are enough perks that it is easy to be there way more than 8 hours a day.

1 person found this review helpful
  6. 4.0
    Current Employee

Review

Mar 18, 2021 - Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work/life balance Easy to move in between teams

Cons

No swag for new hires Will not fight to keep you

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

A Stable Startup Community

Feb 27, 2020 - Senior Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Zynga is a public company wrapped around a group of startups, with each team having significant freedoms to choose their own technology, strategy, and designs without being forced to tow the company line on core decisions. The teams heavily embrace an open community within this ecosystem, and there is significant cooperation between these teams to share technology, processes, and code to allow sister teams to prosper as opposed to companies where teams are in constant competition over resources. Nor do teams have their technical / creative decisions restricted by a rigid company persona, or are forced to leverage specific technologies due to primarily political decisions. Sitting in between these teams is the Cloud Engineering team, which works with every team to support and disseminate new processes, technologies and patterns across this loosely coupled community. We enjoy the opportunity of tracking the different technologies, challenges, and successes from our peers, increasing our own knowledge base as Zynga continues to grow. In return, we focus on pairing solutions with partners throughout the company, and leading teams on the path of prosperity. Zynga in general has a very strong work life balance, with generous PTO (not gated by seniority), maternity/paternity leave, and benefits to care for your family and pets. Our team has taken this as a core tenet to balance the challenges of supporting such a wide variety of clients and their needs, by emphasizing the importance of regular PTO, predictable work hours, and the role of remote-work.

Cons

Zynga is a multinational, and many teams are relatively distributed across different offices and time zones, so communication is often electronic rather than personal. While this introduces us to friends and co-workers around the world, opportunities to work together in person are rare. Commuting time to our major offices like San Francisco can be challenging, so we heavily emphasize and subsidize public transportation or shuttles where available. Senior management has changed frequently in the past 10 years, shuffling organizations and strategy, but the current CEO has put Zynga into a continuous growth trend for the last couple years, and seems poised to have brought strategic stability.

6 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Intern, less than 1 year

Great company to work for!

Jul 16, 2020 - Software Engineer Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Good pay - Fun projects - Great people - Good work life balance

Cons

- Steep learning curve on some projects but not unmanageable

9. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great company to work for

Jun 22, 2020 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Sweet food, Good props and Nice Gym

Cons

Hard work culture and strange work-life balance

Continue reading
  10. 2.0
    Current Employee

Great perks, poor management

Jan 6, 2014 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Zynga is a fast-paced environment with lots of room for innovation. The employees are incredibly talented and the perks (free food, free gym, flexible hours, vacation time) are fantastic. Salaries are generous and the new executive team seems very competent.

Cons

Zynga is a company that grew too fast for its own good. Hiring was done at a rapid rate with no structure or long-term plan in place. The repercussions of this decision are starting to hit hard. Middle management at Zynga is incredibly inexperienced, which results in lots of turmoil and very low team morale. You are expected to put in incredibly long hours, but you will not be rewarded for your work as this is the norm at Zynga. Most employees have a very poor work-life balance, especially around holidays. Employees are constantly pressured to participate in social activities outside of work (normally drinking and partying) and you are branded "not a team player" if you choose to forego these activities. Its almost impossible to get raises, promotions or bonuses unless you rub shoulders with leadership. "Be your own CEO" is one of Zynga's favorite ideals, but unfortunately, it's also the most destructive when combined with inexperienced management. When employees are left to fend for themselves and define their own roles, it results in ruthless politics and an "everyone for themselves" attitude. If you do not have the stomach for politics, stay away. You will not succeed here on hard work alone. I believe that the new executive leadership will turn things around, but it is going to be a long, painful process.

Continue reading

Work at Zynga? Share Your Experiences

Affiliated Companies

Zynga Careers

Cover image for Zynga

Zynga is a global leader in interactive entertainment with a mission to connect the world through games. To date, more than one billion...More

• Benefits
  • University
  • Careers at Zynga
  • Diversity at Zynga

Reviews by Job Title

Company Updates

209 days ago

Employee Story
For Women’s History Month in March, Zynga is celebrating female employees who are helping forge a more gender equal world. For our first profile, we sat down with Claudia Sanchez Wilson, Vice President, Legal at Zynga in the San Francisco Bay Area. Throughout her career, she has been positively impacted by her mentors and other female leaders and believes that being our best selves and supporting other women in the workplace are ways in which we can help break the bias
Shared image - Breaking The Bias - Claudia Sanchez Wilson - Zynga
Breaking The Bias - Claudia Sanchez Wilson - Zynga
www.zynga.com

209 days ago

Company News
We have been watching the recent events unfold in Ukraine with great concern. After careful consideration, we have begun to suspend all installations, monetization and marketing support across all titles in Russia and Belarus at this time. We are making a donation of over $200,000 to three organizations that are providing relief and support for refugees – Nova Ukraine, Ukraine Crisis Relief Fund by Global Giving and UNHCR– and are matching donations for all employees to contribute additional funds. We join the many voices around the world calling for peace and we stand firmly with the people of Ukraine.
Shared image - Zynga on LinkedIn: Zynga Statement on Ukraine - Zynga

Meta Logo
Meta

11,768 Reviews
Compare

Glassdoor has 1,183 Zynga reviews submitted anonymously by Zynga employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if Zynga is right for you.