Zywave Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dave O'Brien

Pros
  • Lots of vacation time which allows for an excellent work life balance (in 22 reviews)

• Great Pto/flex time, awesome culture - work hard play hard, fast paced, lots of growth (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management can make you feel unappreciated (in 10 reviews)

• Low pay, kind of an old boys club, most of my cons were job specific and not about the company itself (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great Job"

Current Employee - Product Trainer in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Product Trainer in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Zywave full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They treat their employees really well and have a lot of in office perks. They also celebrate employees and their accomplishments quite a bit.

Cons

Can be high stress so you need to have a high tolerance for stress and be able to manage multiple tasks at once.

Advice to Management

Encourage us to try other opportunities or at the very least shadow more departments.

2. "One of the best companies in Milwaukee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Zywave full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed work environment
    Great people
    Great company equipment
    Flex scheduling is super helpful
    Challenging work
    Potential for growth
    Ability to innovate and educate yourself while at work
    Lots of company perks....just way too many to list.
    Awesome CEO
    Charitable company
    Company outings are a blast

Cons

There is no downside to working here. Great place to grow and be better at your job/career.

Advice to Management

Provide tools for your employees to educate themselves

3. "Fast Paced Challenging Job"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Zywave full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love the people and the investment in development and employees.

Cons

Sometimes there is too much freedom on how to get the job done

Advice to Management

Your core values at times conflict with your business policies and encouragement of certain behaviors from the top down.

"Marketing Department"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Zywave (Less than a year)

Pros

For all of its (many) faults, I gained pretty valuable experience I will utilize the rest of my career. Despite the far below-average salary, the benefits are better than most. Willing to hire right out of college.

Cons

Priorities simply aren't in the right place. Built a new building, the "House that Zywave Built", and had a terrible Q1 and cut spending. Fired my coworker(before the bad quarter, but after the building announcement), leaving me with the work of 2 people on an already lean team and failed to compensate that even remotely. Was making well below market value even after the team consolidation. Continually piled on more work and scoffed when things weren't getting accomplished in a timely manner despite numerous pleas for help. They say they want to attract top talent, but fail to compensate. Sales team priorities took precedent over our priorities. Never had a formal performance review, boss regularly canceled weekly 1 on 1's to gossip with coworkers (had about a handful in 6 months), and wonders why they weren't 'in the loop.' Left for a better company and salary. Exit interview lasted all of 3 minutes, so they clearly don't care about their turnover rate. Most incestuous company I have ever been a part of, and that includes management. Get your experience and get out.

Advice to Management

Take your turnover rate seriously. Compensate your employees, listen to the ones that leave.

6. "Good sales job, not for everyone"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Great atmosphere, compensation is competitive

Cons

Cut throat sales job, not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

"Great place to work, salary just under market"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Zywave full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management is great, flexible scheduling and fantastic PTO and benefits. Also company treats employees well and has frequent food brought in or outings to improve employee morale.

Cons

Salary compensation is not always competitive in the market. But they make up for it with company food and outings.

"Wasn't a good fit for me"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Zywave full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere of Teamwork. Supportive bosses in many ways. A lot of people there have fun during the day and have freedom to do things non-work during the workday. Always looking for ways to improve. The training for the sales department is top notch.

Cons

The executives were non-existent when I was there. Never once saw the CEO (wasn't Dave O'Brien when I was there). I was hired in a sales position that was a better fit for someone straight out of college where Zywave could mold that person in the way they wanted. I came in with years of experience and clashed with some of the things they wanted to do.

Advice to Management

Hire inside sales straight out of college, not with prior experience. Be more involved with milestones during the training process.

"Management failed to train and had no plan to help improve - Product Development (Web Development/Software Engineer)"

Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Wauwatosa, WI
    Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Wauwatosa, WI

Pros

Flexible schedule, bonuses based on performance, little to no experience required

Cons

I was hired for an Associate Software Engineer (job posting said 0-2 years of experience). Throughout the interview process, Zywave made promises of providing all necessary training and I gave a full disclosure that I had less than 1 year of coding experience and 0 years of professional coding experience (this was my first professional opportunity). I did not receive all of the product training that was promised. Zywave is a Software as a Service type of company and it is very important that you understand what you are building as a Software Engineer before you can build it. I also did not receive anything worth mentioning for programming language training or learning from Zywave itself.

The team that I was placed on offered very little support since they were supposed to have 4 developers and only had 2 senior devs and myself. They did not have the time to onboard me properly. I was told I could expense a PluralSight subscription for my technical training. The senior developers on my team had a negative attitude toward the product that we were responsible for maintaining and developing. They were vocal about it every day.

I was given an average review after 4 months of employment. During my review, I asked about a plan for improvement and metrics for my performance along with time-based goals for improvement. I did not receive any of those things. I brought them up every 2-3 weeks during my one on one meeting with my team lead. I asked for help pair programming or more time to spend one on one with the team lead or a senior developer. I was told that our team did not have the time, nor was that something our team really did. During my employment at Zywave, I became quite active in the local community with other developers and Zywave even sponsored some events I helped organize.

2 weeks before I was fired for insufficient productivity, I was told that I needed to have 50% of the output of the 2 senior developers on our team. I asked again for help with pair programming or extra help with the same result. The only metric upon which the firing decision was made I was told, was the number of hours assigned to the job tickets that I checked out on the Agile board. The number of hours were assigned by a group estimate of averages. Most Agile practicing development companies use story points instead of number of hours since it can vary wildly from developer to developer and experience levels. I was given 1 full Sprint (2-3 weeks) to reach that productivity mark or my tech lead told me that "we may have to let you go". I was fired before the end of the Sprint - there were still 4 days left. Most of the Sprint I had to either wait for the senior developers for something or there were added features to the tickets I was working on without adequate hours added on to reflect the time it took to implement the unplanned features. I understand things change, which is why I spent the extra time coordinating with other team members to make sure it was done with quality. What I don't understand is why I was not given more time or held so strictly to that single metric during that Sprint.

Overall, the entire last month that I was employed was a horrible experience. Zywave uses outdated technology for most of their products. Not only did I lose my job, but most of my experience with the technology is not transferrable to other companies.

Advice to Management

If you are going to fire someone, just do it and be honest about the reason. Don't half-implement a way for someone to "redeem" productivity and then not try to help him/her out with the process. You should also not tell someone that he/she "might be let go" in 2 weeks. How do you think that will play out for the company, regardless of whether or not the employee improves? If the employee improves, he/she will most likely be looking for another job anyhow since that is like saying, "we don't think you are worth keeping". If the employee does not improve, what quality of work do you think most people will give you for those 2 weeks?

I regret ever taking the job opportunity with this company and warn anyone looking to join their product development team who does not have a lot of prior experience.

"Good place to start a career"

I worked at Zywave full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They hire people who don't have much experience and the company allows you to switch departments pretty easily if you think something else will interest you (after 1 year in your first position, but it also depends on your relationship with your manager.)
    You can learn a lot, and there are some great people at the company (in non-sales positions.)
    Fun environment.

Cons

They don't pay well and they rarely will offer more when an employee has another company offering them more. They play favorites with departments. Sales is heavily favored which leads to neglecting the development and services/support departments.
    It can get very high school at times...especially in the sales department.

Advice to Management

If you want to reach your retention goal (which I don't think has ever happened), you need to invest in the departments that make retention happen: develop quality products and deliver top notch services/support.

11. "Great company, lots of change"

I worked at Zywave full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture is absolutely amazing. Everyone works hard and plays hard. There is a culture of excellence and it really sets you up for a great career.

Cons

There is a lot of change of priorities at this company between sales, the executive team and the board. If you don't handle change well, this isn't the place for you.

There is definitely favoritism and people get promoted, especially to management positions, based on seniority or likability, not necessarily based on work or abilities.

The rumor mill/gossip level is insane. Often times people in upper management tell a few people below them about what might be coming and everyone in the company knows often weeks before an official announcement.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your employees directly. Don't rely on mid-level managers as they often don't have all the answers.