a la mode Reviews | Glassdoor

Jay Shafer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great Place"

I have been working at a la mode full-time

Pros

I was a career job-hopper before I started my career at a la mode.

There is a real sense of comradery here. The entire company seems focused on the uniform goal, with all departments working in a cohesive manner to accomplish it. Even though I've only worked here about 6 months, I am proud to be part of this team.

The upper management are intelligent, humble, approachable, and incredibly competent.

I have no plans of leaving this company. For the first time in my career, I feel as if there are better opportunities for me at my current job than in the open market.

Cons

Big, open floor plan with a lot going on. It feels as if the entire layout was designed for extroverts. Not many places to get a few minutes to yourself.

2. "Their products are really terrible"

I worked at a la mode full-time

Pros

good lunch options, nice hardware

Cons

They cannot get their products to actually work. They have constant issues with every product they put out and cannot get anything to actually work. They have literally hired a staff to deal with the defects in their software.

"Any Developer With Her Salt Should Run Away as Fast as Possible"

I have been working at a la mode full-time

Pros

Alamode seems like a great opportunity, great perks, great opportunities, sounds like they want to be better. People who you work with are great, and extremely knowledgable.

Cons

You spend all of your time working on an outdated product and unless you are in the first few years of your career, you never actually see any career advancement. You constantly get blamed by the middle and senior managers involved in development for not meeting vague goals that have no idea what is going on. The majority of senior managers haven't worked in a modern stack in at least a decade. Unless you want your career to stagnate, stay away from this company.

"Culture and Benefits = Winner"

Current Employee - Product Coach in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Product Coach in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at a la mode full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Paid Medical, 4-day workweek, salaried positions get unlimited PTO, Food Trucks FREE food trucks every Mon and Thurs, free coffee coke snacks salads in a cafe style break area, random parties including free alcohol for those that wish to have a beer or three.
         Upward mobility in the company is for real if you want it. Or you can just be the best support tech you can be if that is what you need. I have seen numerous entry level techs make it to Team Leader, Customer Support Manager, Developer, Product Manager, etc. Talented people are recognized and given the chance to do more and be more.
         I've been with alamode nearly 6 years now, over 40 yrsold, and hope to retire from 'tha mode'. I've had a few emergencies over the years and the alamode family has always been ready to lend a hand if needed.
    From the owner himself on down the management chain generosity during lifes trying times is the norm.
    The company helped my family with funeral costs when there was an unexpected death in my family. I also have dealt with a terrifying medical condition and alamode helped with all paperwork, leave, welcoming me back when i did return to work with anything I needed to transition back to work.
    I've seen our company help employees that suffered damage during the May tornado season.
    But the company's gifts do not stop there. Every year we collect Christmas gifts for a lower-income school in the metro. We just put together a truckload of diapers, water, formula, groceries and drove it down to help hurricane Harvey victims.
    In short, best company, hands down, that I have worked for ever.
    All together the work environment, the colleagues, and the benefits give alamode 5+ stars in my experience.
     I could go on with more company anecdotes...for instance they are giving away a 64" TV this month to a hard-working support tech.
    I think you get the picture...

Cons

Non-salaried employees do not enjoy the unlimited PTO, and sometimes as a low level employee I think management needs to pull their head out, but hey what plebian has not thought the same thing of their lord. Heh.

Advice to Management

Keep doin' what you're doin' just the way you doin' it and we should keep hitting our company goals (they required 20 words) just keep doin' what you're doin'.

5. "Great place to work"

I have been working at a la mode full-time

Pros

Not like any call center you've ever worked at before! The place is upbeat, the people are amazing, and the benefits are great. If you like open office/highly collaborative environments, this place is for you!

Cons

A la mode gives a lot to its employees because it asks for a lot. The work is super fast paced and depending on call volume you might be eating the occasional late lunch, but that's all pretty par for the course concerning call center work.

Advice to Management

Give me a raise.

Please?

"Great place to grow professionally"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at a la mode full-time (More than a year)

Pros

(Excuse the wall of text. It’s thorough.)

This place understands the importance of employee advocacy. I have seen far too many companies allow their commitment to their employees fall by the wayside in favor of pushing revenue. This place doesn’t do that, and in turn employees are happier, more effective, and actually LIKE coming to work. I consistently see employers and employees actively working for each other to make the business better, and in my opinion this has created a really fantastic working environment.

Work hard, and you’ll be given guidance (especially if you ask for it). I started as a CSR, moved into a Senior Tech position, and have since moved into a salaried position in relatively little time – and I’ve seen others do the same! Management aims to help nurture your strengths and give you a fair shake with opportunities that fit. You won’t get very far if you aren’t willing to put in the effort, though.

The benefits are good too:
    • Base pay was increased to $30k over a year ago
    • We get awesome medical/dental/vision options
    • Optional 401k with company match and super quick vesting
    • Flexible leave time (even for phone based employees – I’ve seen this company bend over backwards for people with personal/medical/family issues, some of which would be grounds for termination in other places)
    • Free food in the café, an annual food allowance, and twice-a-week food trucks
    • Extensive training that really is available to you if you want it and ask for it. I’ve seen reviews here that talk about little training, and if I asked I was always given opportunities. They’ve even ordered books on employees’ behalf (if requested) for career growth.
    • Monthly surveys from management to see how they can improve the company/work environment from an EMPLOYEE standpoint – whaaat? A company wanting internal feedback?!

Additionally, the people I work with are people I can be comfortable around. I have no fear of approaching anyone with a “stupid” question or email, or just to say hello, regardless of tenure or position. No one is off limits, and everyone welcomes new ideas and conversation about how to do business. It’s a really progressive, organic way to work, and the results speak for themselves.

Cons

No real cons here. I’ve seen plenty of “STAY AWAY” reviews. I’m a bit confused by this, as many people I talk to really enjoy what they do here. Every company will have frustrating points and communication gaps, but looking at the broader picture, this company outshines every other place I’ve worked. Most of the frustrations I run into are daily parts of [any] job.

Advice to Management

You're doing great at trying to be accessible and open, but sometimes it's hard to get you in a room to talk about projects/products or get timely responses to messages or emails. Other than that, you're awesome. I love that you're open to ideas from every employee.

"Support Desk"

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Edmond, OK
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Edmond, OK

I worked at a la mode full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The man who owns this company is a person who cares about the employees. He provided breakfast and lunch. Would hold meetings to get insight from the employees. He then Would Act on it. What a rare breed, he truly cares.

Cons

The people in mid management were to "green" to hold the job. The manager over the area was someone who did not seem to know what he was doing. I was at a loss over some of the decisions made. I had done well , at the last help desk job. Joined A La Mode and was excited. However, the popular byline was if you did not meet a stat goal was... Maybe you don't want to be here. I thought wow, never led a team this way. Maybe I don't need to be here. Funny thing is I had to leave because I was not making enough. Another interesting point, the next place I went I was back on top. Tons of CE, notable improvements, etc.

Advice to Management

Be team builders, take a few classes on how to lead a team if you are a Lead. I led a team of 23 and took them to the top. And they stayed there. It was alot of work, sitting with them, honing them, zeroing in on where the failure points were. All this while doing my normal job. If the change can be made, then you will get teams that will be built around success and not failures

"It's a decent start"

I worked at a la mode full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some really good perks, but they just don't apply to everyone. Good healthcare and they do quite a bit of fun stuff.

Cons

The best perks don't apply to half the company. Also management isn't that great.

Advice to Management

Don't let everything roll downhill. Just because you get lashed at, doesn't mean you need to lash out to your employees.

"An intense, one-of-a-kind experience"

Former Employee - Grunt in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Grunt in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at a la mode full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Join the brotherhood of former employees in the rapidly expanding support group for survivors of the 'mode! When you tell people you used to work at a la mode, others who made it out alive are quick to embrace you and comfort you with an encouraging, heartfelt "It gets better." It's actually really good for making new friends.

Cons

This company will treat you like a king! That king, unfortunately, is Sisyphus. It's a grueling job trying to support a bad, outdated product for leadership that has a hostile attitude toward employees and customers alike. There is a dark cloud of misery that permeates every corner of that building and slowly eats away at your soul.

Advice to Management

Stop saying you 'work hard and play hard' to dismiss the horrible working conditions and your obvious drinking problems. Just be better.

"Great company - one of the best in Oklahoma"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at a la mode full-time (More than a year)

Pros

a la mode is right up there with some of the best companies to work for in Oklahoma. The leadership is hands-on and genuinely cares. I appreciate the Fourth Friday staff meetings where our CEO and other members of management share information on goals and new product releases. The company has a cool work environment where you can come as you are (no dress code). Not to mention, free health care, having just about every Friday off, snacks and food trucks, no vacation policy, etc.

Cons

No cons in my eyes. A lot of people complain about work - there are long days and stressful situations, but that's part of any job. If you can't handle that - it's on you, not the company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Always be listening for new ideas and never be afraid to try something a little new and different.