aTyr Pharma Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
aTyr Pharma CEO and Executive Chairman John Mendlein
John Mendlein

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Fast-paced environment with tremendous upside"

I have been working at aTyr Pharma full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Patients and Science come first. This company has a fantastic opportunity to translate truly novel biology to medicines that could make a big difference in patient’s lives. The science behind the company is really exciting and the work of the research team continues to uncover potential blockbuster opportunities. Management is engaged and works tirelessly to make the company a true success.

Cons

This is a lean and mean biotech company that expects a lot of hard-work and grit from its employees. If you are not willing to put in the blood, sweat, and tears on behalf of your fellow co-workers, the patients we aim to serve, and the shareholders who entrust the company with their money, then this is not the right place for you.

Advice to Management

More transparent and actionable communication is always appreciated. Lead by example and set appropriate expectations for your work force. We all want to obtain the impossible, but we should be evaluated on our willingness to reach.

2. "Love working at aTYr"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at aTyr Pharma full-time (More than a year)

Pros

aTyr is a great company to work for. It is fast moving, dynamic and most all, inspiring. I am excited to work for a company that genuinely cares not only about its employees, but also about the patients we are trying to help. It sounds corny, but when you realize that what you do on a day to day basis can impact people’s lives and help them to feel better, it makes you want to work harder. Everyone is excited about the research and it translates into their work ethic. Even though people work incredibly hard, there is still a fun corporate culture with happy hours, parties, and lots of free food! It’s pretty small (less than 100 employees), so it has a kind of a family feeling, rather than big pharma, which I really like. The people who work here are extremely smart and talented. I feel like management listens to the employees and cares what we think. They also provide really great benefits. I highly recommend aTyr to anyone who wants to work for a company that cares about people and where you feel like you can make a difference. It is very rewarding!

Cons

We are getting cramped in our space, would love to move to a larger building!

"Current Employee"

I have been working at aTyr Pharma full-time

Pros

Novel, interesting science... very cutting edge. I really like the team and the people. I like the patient focus. Great benefits, good paid time off program, nice 401(k) match.

Cons

Need more office space soon.

"Meaningful work"

I have been working at aTyr Pharma full-time

Pros

Novel biology, great people and talented team, collaborative, interesting science, intellectually stimulating, great opportunities to learn and touch exciting projects

Cons

Nothing that shouldn't be expected from a dynamic, pioneering early-stage biotech company

Advice to Management

Let's publish more when we can!!!

"Great people with a crazy CEO"

I worked at aTyr Pharma full-time

Pros

Really interesting science, very hard working group of smart people on the cutting edge of a new technology.

Cons

The CEO is crazy. He works people too hard and has no sense of propriety. People don't stay anymore because of the overwork.

Advice to Management

Get a new CEO, put this guy on the board only. Make the CEO accountable for all the money he spends when it's unnecessary.

"Research"

Pros

Team Orientated
    Research focused
    Progressive attitude

Cons

Can't think of any now

"Steady Improvements"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at aTyr Pharma full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Recent improvements to the benefits offered, mainly increasing the vacation time. Also, have added free lunch days, and increased salaries to reflect current market. All are steps in the right direction.

Cons

Still some turnover, especially in certain groups and at senior levels.

"aTyr - Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at aTyr Pharma full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The science and the team are very strong at aTyr. There is continuous discussion around the patients and the impact we can have. Very smart people. Good communication with teams. I really like my team and the people I work with. High work ethic within the company. Good benefits, good snacks, nice work space, casual environment, a lot of great events and parties including "bring your dog to work day". I really like working at aTyr!

Cons

We are growing out of our space.

"Needs Improvement"

I have been working at aTyr Pharma full-time

Pros

People, interesting science, lab space

Cons

Management, benefits, poor communication, micro-manage too many details

Advice to Management

Improve vacation time, communicate better to employees, don't micro-manage. CEO has too much say in the every day experiments, we are good scientists, let us do our job.