accountingdepartment.com Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
accountingdepartment.com Co-Founder Bill Gerber
Bill Gerber

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Best employer ever - especially for military spouse!"

I have been working at accountingdepartment.com full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule; take your job with you when you move; Friendly and supportive work environment

Cons

There is some but limited upward mobility

"You WANT to work here"

I have been working at accountingdepartment.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility for Family Obligations: They really do mean it when they say that they are flexible with family schedules/obligations. It is not a problem at all for me to do the carpool or attend parent/teacher conferences, etc.

Legitimate Work From Home positions. No sales, no cold calling, no envelope stuffing.

Work/Life Balance: The directors/HR/Controllers are all very encouraging for every staff member to have a good work/life balance. They encourage us to take our holidays off, PTO, etc. and enjoy time with our families.

Kindness – From my first day, I have found that everyone is extremely helpful, kind and forgiving when you make mistakes. They have all wanted to help me do my best.

ADC becomes your family – When you immerse yourself into the ADC culture and take part in the many activities (sports, fitness, cooking, Christmas Tree decorating, pumpkin carving, anniversary party – there’s something for everyone!), you get to know some of the most incredible people and they quickly become your extended family. You find that they truly care about you. It makes this large company feel small in the all the best gooey & warm fuzzies kind of way.

ADC wants all their staff to excel. They want us to succeed. They want us to be happy. Is the training tough? Yes. Are there going to be stressful times? Of course. This is life and all jobs have various points where they can be stressful. But that doesn’t mean that they don’t give you all the tools and resources to help you along the way.

ADC is generous. I have found that my salary is very competitive than other jobs in my area (which is a large city). In addition, the benefits that ADC offers are far superior to those offered in my area. Benefits include 401k (and company match), heath, dental, vision, etc. There are extras along the way too in the form of pizza Friday, loot from various competitions, etc.

Cons

I don’t think there really are any. The hiring process is extensive, and I have never worked so hard to get a job in my life. However, that being said, ADC needs the best of the best and I wouldn’t want them to skimp on the hiring process.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing! As an employee, I truly feel valued and needed. The directors are approachable and frequently convey their praise and appreciation.

"Accounting Specialist"

I have been working at accountingdepartment.com full-time

Pros

They allow you the flexibility to take care of your family obligations as they realize how important that is. They are very supportive in all aspects of the job.

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Put on a happy face...or else"

I worked at accountingdepartment.com full-time

Pros

Work from home, nice coworkers, never boring, good benefits, learn something new every day, company wide events from the comfort of your home office.

Cons

Very stressful and intensive. You're encouraged to ask questions because the learning curve is steep, but when you ask, be careful how you ask. Any signs of struggle and you're gone. Don't complain and don't tell anyone how you really feel or else start looking for another job. Simple mistakes are harshly punished even if you weren't the one that actually made the mistake. If it's your client, it's your fault.

"Bookkeeper"

Former Employee - Bookkeeper
    Former Employee - Bookkeeper

I worked at accountingdepartment.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working from Home was the ONLY one

Cons

Not as flexible as advertised. They make money based on how "productive" you are, and how much they can pile on you. Very, Very Stressful - hard to take vacations. They claim to be helpful, but no one ever has time to really help. They MICROMANAGE nonstop, but do it with a disclaimer - "we aren't trying to micromanage BUT...." if you vocalize your trouble, like they encourage, then it is a sign of weakness and only your problem. No advancement opportunities unless you switch to startup (who they treat like they are better than the rest of the company). Pay is poor. Clients talk down to you, and they blame you instead of backing you. 1/5 of my clients were nice. The rest were total jerks. They win awards because they pressure you into giving them good ratings on surveys. I honestly felt like i was in an abusive relationship. No matter how hard I worked or how much I gave it was never acknowledged or enough. This job literally sucked the life out of me. I left because I accepted an easier position (at a different company) for $6,000 more per year.

Advice to Management

Instead of saying things are "just you, or just your problem" actually accept fault when it's there.

6. "Accounting Specialist"

Current Employee - Accounting Specialist

I have been working at accountingdepartment.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, and feeling valued within the company

Cons

Opportunities to advance within the company

7. "Great Place For Work Life Balance"

Current Employee - Accounting Specialist

I have been working at accountingdepartment.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Family Friendly Environment
    Work Life Balance
    Hardworking People and Managers

Cons

Lower Hourly Pay Than What You May Find In A Traditional Desk Job (This is compensated by all of the perks of working from home in addition to the generous PTO, birthday and anniversary policies.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. You have made a connection between the happiness of employees and the health of the company. Happy to be a team member for many years to come.

8. "Accountingdepartment.com"

Current Employee - Accounting Specialist

I have been working at accountingdepartment.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome company to work for!

Cons

Really no cons for accountingdepartment.com

9. "Happy Employees Make Happy Clients"

I have been working at accountingdepartment.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's difficult to explain how the culture in our family makes you want to excel at everything you do. Knowing we provide the highest level of outsourced accounting and controllership services reflects in the way we explain it to those who don't know us.
    It is not easy to become an employee but when you do, and your performance is good, you will love being here. It's work but it becomes a passion.

Cons

Working at a 100% virtual company has many advantages, especially when the co-founders and directors create a comfortable atmosphere. The only con is not being able to meet your co-workers who you've gotten to know so well, in person on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

As we grow to the size company that is forecasted, it will be difficult to keep the close knit culture that's been instituted. Continue placing supervisors with the same passion you started the company with.

10. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Accounting Specialist

I have been working at accountingdepartment.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked here for only a few months, but all the staff are great. They really seem to care about their employees and want to help us succeed. They are very supportive as I have taken on new clients. I love working here so far.

Cons

I don't know if I have run into any cons yet about ADC. You have to get used to not seeing people in person and you have to make sure if you need to talk to people you speak up, because since it is all virtual they won't see when you need help. It does take longer to really get to know people since there are so many and you don't interact with them a lot. You have to be able to work on your own and be self motivated since you are at home.