adMarketplace Account Executive Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
adMarketplace Chairman and CEO Jamie Hill
Jamie Hill

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Upper management recognizes initiative and the promotion policy is good if you are willing to work for it (in 7 reviews)

• Some leniency to work from home (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Vacation packages are pretty basic and there is little to no opportunity to work from home (in 4 reviews)

• This means working long hours when necessary (in 6 reviews)

"Enjoyed the Company"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at adMarketplace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked as an account exec for a little over a year and it was my first opportunity to sell a product that had good differences from what else is out there. You can learn a lot from the team and unlike what I’ve heard from my friends at other ad tech companies, they have a really approachable tech and data team. It was easy to go troubleshoot something for a client or ask questions about new features.

Do what you have to do to close the deal, and come back the next day to do it again. I worked with some great people and I feel like we did good work together.

Cons

It was hard at the beginning to figure out the product. Learning to tell the story in a way that resulted in new business was harder than other places where you got off the ground within a few weeks. There were a lot of one off trainings and there was a lot of focus on one part of the pitch for a few weeks and then it was on to a new all-important topic. When they jump to the next one it often contradicts what they just pushed in the last big topic.

Advice to Management

Learn from your teams - most are a solid benefit to your company. Find the foundation and build on it. There are emergencies, and then there are Emergencies, and knowing when to call wolf is important.

"Great learning experience"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at adMarketplace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I came from a completely different industry with no media experience. It was a great learning experience. Great training was provided through various lunch and learns and weekly sales meetings. The platform is outstanding. There is none as detailed and as granular in the search industry. There is opportunity here to make a lot of money as did some of my seasoned colleagues, lots of it. From every department, be it Biz Dev, Ad ops, marketing, tech or sales, the people at adMarketplace are some of the nicest and smartest you will meet. As it happens sometimes, it didn't work out for me but we parted ways on very good terms.

Cons

It is a high pressure place like it would be if you are competing with the likes of Google. If you can't handle a fast pace, enriching but challenging environment, this may not be for you.

Advice to Management

You are making all the right moves from better communication with your employees and enhancing the benefit plans. The happier your employees, the more productive they are, is really true. Keep that up and all the best!

"Absolutely Horrible, traumatizing work environment"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at adMarketplace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The way they get you in.... The pay maybe or lies about a great career

Cons

Extremely abusive staff and upper management and sexual harassment by direct management. This place will drain the life out of you. They micro-manage every aspect of what you do and then yell at you when they do not like the results. They favor a few and treat the rest like crap. They are degrading and humiliating during meetings. It Honestly,do yourself the favor and stay away from this company.

Advice to Management

Just shut down the company. Get help and learn to treat people (including your own families) better.

"Disappointing experience"

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not many. Coworkers, for the most part, are lovely. Largely unhappy, but lovely.

Cons

There are some key problems with Senior leadership. The company will never grow much bigger than what it is now because they are hell-bent on burning bridges. With agencies, clients, employees (past or current), doesn't matter. It's really disappointing because it no matter how much time or energy you've spent with this company, every day is a new day. I hate to name names, so I won't, but the lack of respect for anyone and everyone outside and under "Senior Leadership" is so appalling. People are your biggest resource, not technology.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people who will be your puppets. The key to company growth is hiring diverse, not hiring extensions of your arms and legs. That's the quickest way to trip right over yourself. Oh and giving people food means they are getting fatter, not liking you more.

"WORST JOB EVER"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely none. Unless you enjoy working for people who have no idea what they are doing, give you zero support, and write fake reviews on glassdoor to make it appear as a better place to work.

Cons

Jamie Hill and Adam Epstein. The top 2 executives in the company, have absolutely no idea what they are doing. The two of them will lie right to your face and then stab you in the back the first chance that they get. I started around the same time as 5 other people, none of whom still work for the company. This isn't an exaggeration. They give you 45 days to build out a strong pipeline with little to no support and the worst accounts they have in salesforce, and terminate you if they feel you haven't progressed enough

Advice to Management

Read a book. Pick up "How to win friends and influence people in the digital age" by the Dale Carnegie Institute. Treat people the way you would want to be treated. Adam, Jamie didn't fire you when eBay dropped as client, so why are you so hard on everyone else?

"Great team environment, clear vision on growth strategy, and an unmatched product with unlimited potential"

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to grow as a professional
    Terrific team environment and collaboration
    Working with some of the best Publishers and Advertisers
    Great earnings potential
    An unbelievable commitment to company vision and growth
    Great product and platform
    The Friday catered lunches definitely put a nice ending to the week!

Cons

Fast paced and entrepreneurial - need to be able to adapt in a quick changing landscape, not for everyone

Advice to Management

Continue to share the clear vision and strategy for the company. Also, great job on attracting fantastic new hires within the company...

"Great opportunity for driven salespeople to advance their careers."

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at adMarketplace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

adMarketplace was a great opportunity and I am proud to say I got a chance to work there. The office is filled with a ton of very smart people to learn from with experience in many different fields. The tech team is onsite so any issues or questions can be solved quickly

-Opportunity to sell into large brands and agencies.
    -No micromanagement, they give you room to prove yourself.
    -Great Office perks like free soda, ping pong, free lunch on Fridays and free beer after working hours.
    -Help given if asked for.
    -Emphasis on ongoing training.

Cons

Make no mistake there is pressure to succeed and do well but what that is what you should expect from any real organization.

- Longer hours can cut into free time during the week.
    - Competition and pressure to succeed are not for everyone.
    - Not really a rah rah pat you on the back environment if that's your thing.

Advice to Management

Add more midweek events to build team camaraderie, otherwise keep up the good work.

"Things change on a minute by minute basis"

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros are the free food on fridays and the people that work there

Cons

Sr Management can not stick to 1 strategy. Things change way to often. The CEO is to busy hitting the slopes to be worried about what is going on with his own company. The president yells all the time and is not open to any suggestion. It is his way and his way only. He pushes the people who work for him around to much. Everyone is expected to work 24/7. And if you aren't friends with senior management you will not be given the opportunity to call on the better accounts.

Advice to Management

Sell your company or bring in people who are more open to suggestions and can talk to and treat people the right way. Spend less time googling yourselves and spending time on facebook and say thank you to your employees who work very hard for you

"Work hard and reap the fruits of your labor."

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced technology company that builds everything in-house. Half of the floor-space in the NY office is reserved for developers and senior management encourages tech requests from every employee. On the sales side, the team is focused on the biggest ad spenders online and most are still up for grabs. If you prove your worth in the initial days of training, you can be calling on Fortune 1000 clients within your first 60 days on the job. I have seen many employees promoted from within, so the ability to advance your career without hopping jobs is definitely a reality at adMarketplace.

Cons

Everyone is held accountable for their work, so if you are looking for a job to simply collect a paycheck, rather than make a mark in your career, forget about working at adMarketplace.

Advice to Management

Ping-pong table would be a great addition.

"Work Hard and Reap the Rewards"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

Pros

- Hard work is noticed and rewarded
    - Culture is focused on success and company has tremendous momentum
    - Great combination of serious work and time for fun
    - Opportunities for growth and advancement
    - High level of client interaction and corresponding responsibility
    - Awesome perks, including travel, events, and team-building outings
    - Management acts like a "good coach" - fair, tough when necessary, and will make you your best self

Cons

- Higher than average turnover in the past, but never saw an unwarranted departure
    - Client base had previously been average, but is now top-notch
    - Marketing materials were sub-par, but issue was addressed
    - Not the place for someone looking to be lazy, unmotivated, or uninspired

Advice to Management

My experience at adMarketplace was both financially and personally rewarding. I felt like a valued member of the team, and that my feedback to management was heard, respected, and most importantly, acted upon. I still visit the office when I am in town, and am warmly received when I do. My advice would be to be even more selective when making hiring decisions, as it takes the right kind of highly motivated and emotionally stable person to work there. That being said, the company has exhibited tremendous growth in a down economy, and management is notably intelligent and strategic minded. I always felt like we were headed in the right direction, and that was proven during my time there and the time since my departure. Overall, I miss working there and highly recommend both the Account Executive position and the company in general to those looking for a challenging next career move.