adMarketplace Reviews in New York, NY | Glassdoor

3.6
adMarketplace Chairman and CEO Jamie Hill
Jamie Hill

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • and bonuses) and the cool, casual work environment runs a close third (in 4 reviews)

• Great people and decent product (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Vacation packages are pretty basic and there is little to no opportunity to work from home (in 4 reviews)

"Pretty, pretty good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Been working here about a year. Since I got here we landed a handful of big new clients, including one huge deal. No complaints there. One plus is I actually feel like adMarketplace is going to grow. The product is solid.

Cons

They cut the free lunches at the end of last year. Work life balance can be an issue. But it’s not worse than my last job. More an industry thing.

Advice to Management

Bring back the lunches. Give employees a bit more autonomy.

"Still LOL'ing"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at adMarketplace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The number of reviews that admarketplace management or HR writes on behalf of their company is actually hysterical. So they've got that going for them...which is nice.

I love not working at admarketplace anymore (since October 2015) but still getting notifications from Glassdoor about recent reviews. It's actually pretty easy to spot the fake ones, so please, dig a bit deeper before you waste one day of your career at admarketplace.

Cons

I felt micromanaged, yelled at for doing my job, frustrated at management's decisions and laziness, and a bit bewildered that I had 5 different bosses in 13 months. That last point is a recipe for dysfunction.

Advice to Management

High some capable operators and allow them to run your business the way they know how, i.e. treat them like adults.

3. "East Coast Hidden Gem"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you live on the east coast and want to get a job as a developer or software engineer in the Bay Area, then you should jump at any opportunity to work here. Seriously this place is a gem. Due to the nature of the advertiser and publisher network here, and the fact that we built our own platform, members of the tech team are either dealing with massive amounts of data, or building a UI/writing code for massive query volume. It’s a smallish company that competes with huge companies (Google…Ever heard of ‘em?). Some of my coworkers have left to join twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Bing. I’ve had some lucrative opportunities as well, but stayed because I feel I have more control over my output here. If you can prove yourself here, there will be amazing opportunities, internally and externally.

Cons

While this place offers amazing training for big data technology, and can serve as a launchpad for other more famous tech companies. This isn’t one of those companies. It might be someday, but right now don’t expect an extravagant office or a private chef. It’s not happening anytime soon. Expect some pressure. Expect some long hours. Expect some stress. AND expect an unrivaled training experience. There are legitimate reasons that some people are unhappy here, but lack of career development is not one of them, especially on the tech side.

Advice to Management

Talented people wouldn’t leave to go to west coast companies if we made a few small changes. You’ve done a good job improving the way you communicate the company vision with the rest of the employees, but there is still a lot of uncertainty. We talk a lot about trust and accountability. Let’s actually build it

4. "A Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time

Pros

I work with very knowledgeable and supportive coworkers. As a company we tackle the BIG challenges currently affecting the search industry and develop innovative solutions that actually drive great performance for our advertisers. I find the work/life balance very fair and healthy, also have seen great improvements in company culture. Upper management has made big strides towards hearing out employees and bettering the work environment based on feedback.

Cons

This company moves quickly as our industry is constantly evolving. Projects and overall company priorities may shift suddenly, requiring individuals to adjust their work schedules accordingly. Vacation packages are pretty basic and there is little to no opportunity to work from home.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work with improving the company culture!

"It’s Not Perfect, but it is Better"

Current Employee - Business Development in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development in New York, NY

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I’ve been working at adMarketplace for several years now and I have seen a lot of changes, some for better, some not so much. Probably the biggest change, and maybe one of the most important, is that the company is finally!!! building trust with us workers. The micromanaging was insane, but it seems like the company is willing to let go of the leash a little and letting people do their jobs. Morale has improved, mostly because we can finally feel like the company trusts us to the jobs they hired us to do.

Cons

While the vacation packages are fine for new hires, those of us that have been here a while would really like to see a much improved package. We’ve earned it don’t you think?

Advice to Management

The mood of upper management can change in the blink of the eye, which can really effect day to day operations. You guys either need to buffer how your mood is seen/felt by workers, or leave your moodiness at home – it has no place in the office anyways.

"Not Your Typical 9-5"

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This place is perfect for people who are ambitious. There are plenty of opportunities for advancement, and we have a good mix of freedom and responsibility. I work on interesting projects and the company gives me the space I need to be creative and innovative. It's a great atmosphere that fosters learning and sharing ideas and finding unique approaches to problems and challenges. I appreciate our tech flexibility to find new ways to use the data and love working with my team mates who are all really smart and can make just about any task fun and even rewarding.

Cons

Priorities change too much, making it difficult to keep everyone on the same page. Too many times, meetings are canceled or project time lines are derailed because something that hasn't been vetted for importance is suddenly deemed urgent. There's also too much secrecy around some plans and priorities which limits our ability to communicate about specific goals until the last minute. This all makes our work more difficult and stressful, especially for those who are trying to pull all the pieces together.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the all-hands meetings where you share the reason behind company and department goals. The more we understand why something is prioritized, the better we can do our jobs.

"Some of the Best Co-workers Ever"

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy the passion and energy that most my coworkers put into their jobs everyday and I feel that our work is valued which inspires me to improve. There isn’t a big political division among management, instead they seem generally more focused on unity. Senior management has an open door policy that I truly appreciate, especially after having worked in numerous jobs where senior management personnel were more like ghosts.

Cons

We say we are a performance and goal oriented company, but the culture here still puts pressure on people to work very long hours, regardless of performance. I'd like to see more of a focus on efficient productivity. If workers meet goals on time, there should be more leniency in terms of time in the office. I know that the pressure to show up early/stay late regardless of performance is a factor with employee retention. Morale boosting trips to the Hamptons or bowling can't fix this. It's more the daily interactions and mandates given in the office that make or break the culture.

Advice to Management

I think you should send all team members to conferences because really, it’s the only way for younger employees to get a realistic grasp on the industry. I also think you need to encourage employee affiliation across all departments in social and business settings. But most importantly, I think the company would be better served if management lead by example.

"Enjoyed the Company"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at adMarketplace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked as an account exec for a little over a year and it was my first opportunity to sell a product that had good differences from what else is out there. You can learn a lot from the team and unlike what I’ve heard from my friends at other ad tech companies, they have a really approachable tech and data team. It was easy to go troubleshoot something for a client or ask questions about new features.

Do what you have to do to close the deal, and come back the next day to do it again. I worked with some great people and I feel like we did good work together.

Cons

It was hard at the beginning to figure out the product. Learning to tell the story in a way that resulted in new business was harder than other places where you got off the ground within a few weeks. There were a lot of one off trainings and there was a lot of focus on one part of the pitch for a few weeks and then it was on to a new all-important topic. When they jump to the next one it often contradicts what they just pushed in the last big topic.

Advice to Management

Learn from your teams - most are a solid benefit to your company. Find the foundation and build on it. There are emergencies, and then there are Emergencies, and knowing when to call wolf is important.

"When trail by fire is a good thing"

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When I started, I had experience with search marketing, but man did I find out fast just how little I really knew. I have learned a quite a lot about search over the past year because of my team members as well as my managers. In my previous experience, I managed several high profile accounts, but nothing compared to the campaigns and spending that I manage now. The skills that I have developed will be useful to me for as long as I choose to work in ad tech.

There were a lot of times where I was responsible for big decisions about the direction of my clients’ accounts and had to really own the outcome and justify it. It made me have to be accountable to a lot of different internal teams, plus my client and their agency. The jump in and do it way of learning really helped me figure out how to focus on smart decisions and handling my mistakes better when I had them.

Cons

There is a lot of stuff you take on fast and while it helped me learn, I saw a lot of people who felt like there wasn’t enough of a consistent framework or team resources to get the work done cause it was always changing and we had a lot of new people and too many accounts. The ones new to ad tech definitely had a harder time adjusting to what seemed pretty normal to me.

Advice to Management

Choose some of the more advanced team members and having them give their own “lunch and learn" to their team members. Some of the folks on my team should be made of gold for all the knowledge they have.

10. "Love the Fast Pace"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy the fast pace and team atmosphere and the advanced tools we use. Upper management recognizes initiative and the promotion policy is good if you are willing to work for it. I have been able to get involved in interesting projects just by presenting them to my manager, and talking about them with my team.

Cons

Though there is a work-from-home policy I think it could be loosened up a little bit. I’d like to be able to choose when I come in and when I work from home, especially because of the ability to be virtually present when needed.

Advice to Management

Increase the communication among departments so there is more clarity on the company strategy.