adMarketplace Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
adMarketplace Chairman and CEO Jamie Hill
Jamie Hill

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The only positive thing at this company are coworkers (excluding all upper management here) (in 9 reviews)

• Great place to gain practical machine learning skills (in 5 reviews)

Cons

1. "Sales Experience & NYC Tech Experience"

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time

Pros

I’ve been working here about a year. Here’s a few good things’s I’ve noticed.

-You get to work with upper management and executives right away
    -Really good opportunities to move up in company. Great for young people
    -Fast way to gain varied experience. My accounts included some of the biggest tech companies in the world.
    -Opportunities for travel. I got to go to SIS, I’ll be going to more conferences this year, and I take frequent client meetings on the west coast.
    -New marketing vision has made sales side roles much easier. We’re focused on showcasing our incremental sales. I like the new direction.

Free lunches on Friday (not always, but more often than not).

Cons

-Adtech is unpredictable. Sometimes accounts get paused for reasons outside our control, but we still hear about it.
    -High pressure environment.
    -Long hours during certain points in account cycles.

Advice to Management

Morale/culture were down a bit but seems to be in an upswing. Holiday party was great. I dig some of the team building events. Clients have been happy with new incremental focused approach. Keep trusting us enough to do our jobs right.

"I wish the same two people writing the past few negatives reviews would get over it!"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I felt the need to write this because of so many untruths about this company. It's sad that a couple of people and competitors put up fake negative reviews to prop themselves up.

Anyway, the truth is adMarketplace has some of the best co-workers you can possibly ask for. Everyone is willing to help you succeed and learn. The managers have team meetings as well as one on ones which keeps everyone on the same page.

There is career advancement and growth that I have enjoyed in my 3 years. That is one of the reasons I have stayed, being able to move up within the organization and even between departments. I am always kept challenged which keeps me engaged!

The clients we work with both on the ad and pub side are top-tier. I have been at other tech company's and adMarketplace is the one company that has big name advertisers running their campaigns with us and YOU get to work with them.

The compensation, benefits/ health insurance is solid if not better than most tech firms. While we have the feel of a start up (with fun perks), adMarketplace is established and does not have the same growing pains as other "actual" start ups.

Cons

We are a very results driven company. Of course, there is ramp up time and on-boarding for new executives, but the CEO and COO want to be the best in the market. That means your performance in the key to the company's success.

I am not sure what company doesn't have pressure or times where management wants more out of it's workers. That's healthy, that's how company's grow. Don't take it personal.

Advice to Management

Keep creating opportunities for growth of current employees like you have done for me. More lunch and learns as I find them extremely valuable.

3. "Great Technology and Co-Workers!"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing team environment. Everyone cares about your success and I’ve learned so much. I could have chosen more well known tech companies, but I’m so glad I chose AMP! You can see the impact your having and your opinion matters. You learn so much and it’s not chaotic like a start up. I’ve been promoted once so far and the growth opportunities are there if you want it.

The platform is one of a kind and the advertisers we have are the best of the best. We are growing and it’s awesome!

Management and managers keep you engaged and let you take on as much as you want. I personally enjoy new challenges which keeps work from getting boring. You’re continuing to learn every week.

2018 is going to be even bigger than last year and I’m excited to be on this journey with awesome colleagues.

You also have access to the President who always makes time to address any issues.

Cons

Definitely times of stress when we have a major account running but when you have the support around you, it makes things a lot better:).

Would love even more lunch and learns.

Advice to Management

Keep growing the company, lol! You have an amazing team around you, trust them and continue to provide more s d more training tools to succeed.

"There are plenty of other opportunities out there, don’t fall for this one"

I worked at adMarketplace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The coffee from Stubtown is nice to have. Plus the location is good.

Cons

There are only 4-6 players who matter at this company, the rest are pions. The screaming arguments between upper management is very disturbing. One minute you are great and the next minute you are the worst thing to walk in the door. There is extremely high turnover in all departments which keeps HR very busy, they are tasked with trying to find people in addition to writing the fake reviews on this site. The benefits are not even at par of what a tech tech company, they offer the cheapest thing out there. The fake reviews that state there are opportunities for advancement? The only thing that advances is the 4 - 6 players bank accounts. Plus the tech is skeptical. Would need an hour to write up the issues they have there.

Advice to Management

Go to anger management sessions, stop giving the pep talks on Tuesday mornings which sugar coat the business, don’t be litigious with ex employees, and lastly own up to the fact that you have an extremely hostile environment to work in and try to fix it.

"RUN AS FAR AWAY FROM THIS PLACE AS POSSIBLE"

I worked at adMarketplace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ha ha ha ha ha

Cons

- Look at each review on this company. All those which are negative, and true, have been flagged as helpful by more than one person while all these fake 4-5 star reviews have 0. That's because the view of this company is so horrid that upper management is making HR fill out these fake reviews to counter the real ones. Take your time as you read each one and you'll start to see the trend.

- The CEO is an absolute joke! All these reviews about him screaming in employees' faces are true. I witnessed it on more than one occasion and could not believe what he was getting away with.

- The COO is just as bad. He doesn't yell at you like the CEO, but uses bullying/fear tactics to get what he wants out of his employees.

- Account Management team lacks any real leadership. The AM directors use the same tactics as the COO and will try to intimidate you during team meetings as well as one-on-ones. They never stand up for their employees and are willing to throw them under the bus just so that they don't get in any trouble with upper management.

- There is no work/life balance. If you have social obligations, whether it be family or friends, you might as well forget about them.

- I personally felt bad for HR. The people in this department truly do feel terrible for their fellow coworkers and want what's best for them, but are helpless against upper management. They are told what to do and cannot help any employee that has been negatively accosted by those in higher positions.

- Pay is terrible. In exception to those in upper management NO ONE else is given pay that is considered fair or market rate. Also if you're in Sales or Account Management you better be prepared for constant commission structure changes (without you being notified) or a cut in commission because upper management felt that you didn't deserve the money.

- The platform is constantly breaking down/lagging/glitching. If you expect to get your work done in a timely manner with the help of this UI then you're kidding yourself.

Advice to Management

You won't listen so there's nothing that needs to be said.

"The CEO forces HR to create positive reviews. Don't believe a word. Don't ever consider working here."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at adMarketplace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only positive thing at this company are coworkers (excluding all upper management here). I made so many good friends at this company. Friendships are likely accelerated by the commonly shared traumatic experiences and everyday insanity we experience together.

The occasional company paid happy hour is a good way to forget the yelling overheard in the office that day and to feel like you are taking just a little bit of money out of the CEO's pockets.

Cons

It is a shame to know that the greediness of upper management knows no limits. They will cheat their clients and their employees on a daily basis.

Employees should take a very close look at their bonus structures and the payments received. Even if you have rightfully earned something (based on the bonus structures created by your manager) good luck getting paid the proper amount.

If you ever dare to question upper management, you better be brave. You will likely find yourself packing your desk the next week. There is so much turnover at this company, you don't even get phased when you hear that someone is fired or that someone quit. It is just a regular weekly experience.

Vacation time- employees start off with 10 days of vacation. This is completely unreasonable. If they cared about the well being of their employees, they would realize that time off to spend with family (and decompress from the insane environment at adMarketplace) is much needed.

Advice to Management

The CEO should go immediately to anger management therapy. With a LOT of help, maybe he can stop screaming in his employee's faces. It is shocking that he owns an adtech company when he knows so little about how everything operates. But I guess money can buy anything right?

Unfortunately, the rest of upper management are the CEO's puppets. They will do anything asked of them for fear of losing their position/status/lifestyle. It is a shame, because if someone high up would stand up to the CEO's insane demands, or stand up for an employee, at least once, maybe some positive change could be brought about.

Slowly, the upper management evolves into mini versions of the CEO, yelling in people's faces, belittling employees, making people cry. It is truly a sick unstable environment.

Whenever someone leaves or is fired, they leave the desk empty and don't bother hiring someone else for that position. They just make the rest of the team absorb the work of the former employee.

If you are a candidate for a job, do yourself a favor and work anywhere else. It is not worth it.

7. "Intro to Machine Learning"

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My team is working on some pretty innovative tech. Great place to gain practical machine learning skills. I feel like the skills I’m learning here will be very valuable for a long time.

Cons

Limited flexibility with projects. The work is challenging, which I like, but I want more creative freedom.

Advice to Management

Put more resources into experimental R&D. Sometimes we pass on good ideas because the benefit isn’t immediate.

8. "Feel good about direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We’ve made some positive changes that make my relationship w/ advertiser accounts much easier and are doing a lot more with our available data to study brand strength which (again) makes account relationships easier. We’ve got a good department and company feels stable even though industry is crazy these days. What I like is that the company focus is really getting refined. There’s a lot more of an effort from mgmt to make sure everyone is kept involved and informed in the planning and we talk about how that helps us work towards our company goals.

Cons

The work/life balance needs work. Ad tech standard but it is hard to do all this to stay “nimble” when the clients (esp. agency side) don't have the same go-go-go pace that we do. There is some effort to address it now and the company perks (lunches, snacks) are happening more which is good. And it's not so much of a con now but the strategy wasn't so clear before.

Advice to Management

Keep up the weekly communication in terms of long term vision. It’s easier to do my job, and communicate with clients, when I know why we are doing certain things. If revenue is up, then let’s bring back steady lunches.

9. "Strong Product"

Current Employee - Business Development
    Current Employee - Business Development

I have been working at adMarketplace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great product that works for large advertisers
    -Tons of room to grow in mobile app space
    -really solid advertiser base (helps a lot with sales)
    -great introduction to a complicated industry
    -strong company vision (has become a lot more clear in my one year here)

Cons

-long sales cycle (can take a while to see big commissions)
    -new ideas sometimes abandoned before implementation
    -high stakes sales environment

Advice to Management

Keep up the communication. I really like the weekly meetings that focus on other teams within the company. It gives us a much better big-picture view.

"Difficult Environment"

Former Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY

I worked at adMarketplace full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice coworkers in all departments who are genuinely working really hard. Occasionally there is lunch for everyone. Office setting is nice. Good location for commuters.

Cons

The company culture is hard. Upper management is shortsighted, only caring for revenue brought in daily down to the penny. Random acts coming from the top and HR , one minute you are doing well next you can be shown the door with very little explanation. Plus the tension exhibited with upper management is very disturbing. There is allot of yelling that should be kept behind closed doors. The product is also a bit iffy, somewhat misleading.

Advice to Management

Not much, they would not listen so why bother. Kinda a shame for the long time people who chose to stay.