albelli Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 2 reviews

3.1
albelli CEO Tristan Money
Tristan Money

"Good company, but slowly falling behind"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Amsterdam

I have been working at albelli full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Nice colleagues * Great work life balance * Depending on the team, room to try new technologies and processes * Great office location next to Amsterdam Central Station * A cloud and DevOps oriented culture * Budget to go to conferences * Great parties

Cons

* Too many meetings, sometimes you spend more time on meetings than actually working. * Disconnection between the C-level and the rest of the company, decisions don't feel completely transparent. This has gotten better for some recent projects, but is still not there. * Lack of leadership, for some projects you will have to assume leadership even if that's not your job. Sometimes decision makers won't decide in... projects, leaving you to make your own decisions, for better or for worse. * Silo-ed work between teams, every team is like an island which leads to disconnection between the different technology teams, and poor knowledge sharing across teams. * Lack of growth opportunities, unless you are willing to become a people's manager there are no real opportunities to grow. * Lack of attention to feedback given by employees, there are some basic things that are getting worse day by day, with things as basic as the lunch, but no one steps in to fix them.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to employees feedback, really good people have left already because they feel like no one is paying attention or because no one steps in to support them. Having decision effectiveness trainings is not enough to improve leadership and communication across the company. Lead by example by driving projects, by attending retrospective meetings and hearing people, by providing resources and support teams... to make those thing happen. Instead of defining deadlines and hoping for the best. Invest in communication spaces for teams, specially for technology teams. Learn to provide positive informed feedback to technology teams, instead of just pointing to the failing things and giving opinions. Define career paths for engineers, not all of us want to be managers, define also incentives to motivate people, the year-based review is dated and is not enough to retain engineers. Stop creating committees to make things happen, that unfortunately never happen. And start making and communicating decisions for the things that employees care about.

albelli2019-04-24

albelli Response

June 4, 2019Response albelli

Thank you for your feedback. You clearly address the areas we are working to improve; thanks! Only honest and direct feedback likes this will make us better. It is great to hear that we are progressing on the topic of transparency as this is something we are continuously trying to make better. We will take on board your other feedback and please feel free to speak to your manager or HR about any other concerns you may have.

"Good company but Lobbying culture in pockets"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at albelli full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good location. Fairly good package. Free beer and subsidised lunches.

Cons

Do have a lobbying culture(Friends prefer friends) in pockets, in highly paying technology teams. Certain expat team members do not speak English or the Dutch, lots of time even even while working, making it nearly impossible for rest to comprehend. Workers council need to look into this matter.

Advice to Management

Instead of relying too much on internal referral schemes for recruiting high-paying roles, do advertise on popular Dutch and EU job boards, so that more local candidates could apply brining in real talent & healthy competition. -Instead of sending recruitment tests via email (which could potentially be leaked by internal referrals to their friends) use independent test solutions like hackerrank, codility,... Devskiller etc - Listen to interview reviews given by external candidates (non-referral candidates) about the interview process.

albelli2019-03-20

albelli Response

April 4, 2019Response albelli

Thank you for your feedback and nice to hear that you have a generally positive outlook and enjoy our benefits. At albelli the business language is English and speaking English fluently is a requirement for all roles. In addition, as albelli currently employs over 35 nationalities, we do notice in some cases it seems easier for people speaking their native language in small groups. This is something we’ll continue to focus on. Finally, we would like to thank you for your feedback, it helps us to reflect on how we could further improve moving forward.

Found 2 reviews