albelli "amsterdam central" Reviews | Glassdoor

albelli Employee Reviews about "amsterdam central"

Updated Apr 24, 2019

4.2
albelli CEO Tristan Money
Tristan Money
Pros
Cons
  • "Daarbij wordt er erg leuk gepresenteerd hoe geweldig en gezellig het is, maar dit gaat vooral over locatie amsterdam(in 3 reviews)

• "no real contra, but Dutch courses for the international employees would be nice(in 3 reviews)

Reviews about "amsterdam central"

Return to all Reviews

"Good company, but slowly falling behind"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Amsterdam

I have been working at albelli full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Nice colleagues * Great work life balance * Depending on the team, room to try new technologies and processes * Great office location next to Amsterdam Central Station * A cloud and DevOps oriented culture * Budget to go to conferences * Great parties

Cons

* Too many meetings, sometimes you spend more time on meetings than actually working. * Disconnection between the C-level and the rest of the company, decisions don't feel completely transparent. This has gotten better for some recent projects, but is still not there. * Lack of leadership, for some projects you will have to assume leadership even if that's not your job. Sometimes decision makers won't decide in... projects, leaving you to make your own decisions, for better or for worse. * Silo-ed work between teams, every team is like an island which leads to disconnection between the different technology teams, and poor knowledge sharing across teams. * Lack of growth opportunities, unless you are willing to become a people's manager there are no real opportunities to grow. * Lack of attention to feedback given by employees, there are some basic things that are getting worse day by day, with things as basic as the lunch, but no one steps in to fix them.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to employees feedback, really good people have left already because they feel like no one is paying attention or because no one steps in to support them. Having decision effectiveness trainings is not enough to improve leadership and communication across the company. Lead by example by driving projects, by attending retrospective meetings and hearing people, by providing resources and support teams... to make those thing happen. Instead of defining deadlines and hoping for the best. Invest in communication spaces for teams, specially for technology teams. Learn to provide positive informed feedback to technology teams, instead of just pointing to the failing things and giving opinions. Define career paths for engineers, not all of us want to be managers, define also incentives to motivate people, the year-based review is dated and is not enough to retain engineers. Stop creating committees to make things happen, that unfortunately never happen. And start making and communicating decisions for the things that employees care about.

albelli2019-04-24

"Full time Graphic Designer /"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Amsterdam

I have been working at albelli full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great location, Amsterdam Central Good compensation value Very professional and friendly environment

Cons

I have no negative comments to make so far.

albelli2018-01-02

"One of the best employers"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at albelli full-time

Pros

Great colleagues, international environment, result-driven culture, continuously improving itself, excellent lunch, top-notch location (next to Amsterdam Central Station), good secondary benefits, good salary, growing company, work hard play hard mentality, Albelli break (2 months vacation after 5 years of service).

Cons

Trying to focus on too much at the same time. Limited career growth opportunity. Very little office space, so too many people are cramped in a big noisy open office. Meeting culture (though that's getting way better). Siloed organizational structure causing trouble with communication.

Advice to Management

The management team understands what challenges Albelli is facing and directs the organization in the right way to fix them. Therefore, over the past year, we have seen a declining meeting culture, more focus on a limited number of projects (so the quality of projects increases) and improved collaboration between siloed departments. Management should continue with these improvements, it's making Albelli an even... better place to work than it already is.

albelli2017-04-04

"6 years and counting"

Current Employee - Product Owner in Amsterdam

I have been working at albelli part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

* Great, smart colleagues * Nice working atmosphere and lunch * Awesome office location (2 min. walking from Amsterdam Central Station) - great for lunch walks

Cons

* You tend to stick around a lot longer than you thought upfront :) * I cannot remember the names of all employees anymore

Advice to Management

Keep fixing the basics to continue to grow!

albelli2017-03-16

"Fun to work at"

Current Employee - Product Owner in Amsterdam

I have been working at albelli full-time for more than a year

Pros

Although albelli is a relatively large company, part of the larger cimpress organization, it doesn't feel like such. The company works agile, employs highly professional people and invests a lot in implementing and learning the latest technologies. The location at Amsterdam Central station is PERFECT and the view over Amsterdam amazing.

Cons

Amsterdam is an expensive city to live in.

albelli2017-02-16

"Good company to work for and good photo products"

Current Employee - Engineer in Amsterdam

I have been working at albelli full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Innovative, ambitious and growing e-commerce company I can relate to our customers who use our appealing personal photo products Great international culture and people Smart, friendly and professional people I work with every day Continuously learning is supported by management– on the job, workshops, conferences, etc. Informal but professional culture Company vision and strategy Company leadership... team Technology strategy – Quality, Continuous Delivery, Agile / Lean and Micro Services / Cloud First Great location right next to Amsterdam Central Station I look forward to coming to work each day

Cons

Communication and collaboration should be better for a company this size Company benefits could be better though they are good. Technical Debt – Management is prioritizing but there still is some

Advice to Management

Focus on removing Technical Debt and improving communication and collaboration to achieve our goals and making us more nimble.

albelli2017-02-07