alliantgroup, LP Reviews in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

Houston, TX Area

3.5
Dhaval R. Jadav

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They'll sell you in on the perks -- free lunch and health benefits (in 49 reviews)

• Free food, long hours so that I cannot have any outside social interaction (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • There has to be a work life balance for a happy associate (in 55 reviews)

• absolutely no work life balance (in 28 reviews)

"Glad I joined"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This time of year is always a good time to be reflective. Must say i am so happy to have joined alliantgroup. As I spend time with my friends that have literally dull and boring jobs, i'm thankful i found a place that is growing and wants me to be a great professional. Great to have an opportunity to continue my career without being tied to typical corporate bureaucracy.

Cons

Sure there is a ton of work, but that's because its a growing company. my friends in the energy industry are still looking for jobs and those that have found something are generally unhappy.

Advice to Management

Don't listen to the naysayers. they will only try and bring you down. Looking forward to 2018.

"The Harvey Weinstein of Tax Consulting Firms"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Around Thanksgiving time new movies come out that are poisoning our children's minds. It's nice that there is a place like this where people are safe, just like they are safe when around our good pal Harvey Weinstein. In an effort to protect young women, the CEO personally spends many late nights with his disciples.

Cons

Many of the girls "scream" (get the weinstein reference, he produced it!) when they see how much attention the CEO will pay to them. This place seems like a "Scary Movie" because its too good to be true! The CEO will tell all the young prey that "She's So Lovely". What a compliment!!! Just like "Pulp Fiction" this place is a real classic! The way people act is like "gangs of new york"!

Overall, just a great experience. Much like meeting with Harvey Weinstein, many career opportunities open once you begin working here! One girl has a "what's your favorite position?" "CEO!" sign in her room. LOL thats so ironic because she used to spend so much time with the CEO at night! Just like the actresses that spent so much time with our savior, Harvey, she "worked" her way to the top! Great job!

Advice to Management

Never change! Keep meeting late at night with the attractive people in the office. Continue to ignore what people do. Like the Kardashians, you recognize that talent and hard work isnt as important as beauty! It's nice to see that beauty is still recognized in the workplace for non-admin positions. If you are beautiful and looking for an admin position, DO NOT APPLY here. These people put attractive people in real management positions.

"12 Reasons to Stay Far Away from the Blue A"

Former Employee - Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company is absolutely terrible. In some reviews you will see “pros” as free lunch, free alcohol, etc. But these are NOT a pros - these are all tricks that are used so no one ever has the opportunity to leave the big blue a building.

Cons

1) work life balance. There is none. Zero. If you have a husband/wife/kids, kiss them goodbye on Monday morning because you won’t see them again until Saturday. This company does not care about your personal life at all, mainly because leadership (including the CEO) is single with no friends or family outside of alliantgroup.
    2) bullying. There is no professional atmosphere at this company...AT ALL. Development meetings and performance reviews are done in an aggressive, bullish manner that will leave you wondering how MORE legal lawsuits haven’t been filed against this company for harassment.
    3) houston press articles. I don’t know how much of these articles are based on facts, but the company is losing millions of dollars in business based on these articles. Current customers are not re-engaging with alliantgroup because of the disgusting behaviors of the CEO.
    4) transparency. Sorry, i meant “transparency.” This term is a joke at ag. You are forced, pushed, controlled, and bullied into being transparent but really they just want you to “enforce the culture” by tattling on everyone around you and throwing people under the bus. Unless you are leadership/mgmt, you have no idea what’s going on in this company. There is zero transparency.
    5) management. The management team is only management because they have tenure. They could never survive as managers anywhere else - they zero skills to lead.
    6) culture. The culture at ag is worse than anything I’ve seen. It is a fraternity of favoritism, manipulation by money/bonuses, and although you are encouraged to speak up, you are ridiculed if you ever disagree with management.
    7) hr. There is no hr department at all. They were relabeled “talent” and because the main lady is so far up the ceo’s butt, there is no way to ever report anything to anyone.
    8) inappropriateness. The jokes and dialogue that circulate the offices and pods are disgusting, demeaning, and inappropriate. There is absolutely no way everyone at ag is comfortable with the language used, but again...no one to report it to.
    9) outside work events. There are many fun events planned for teams outside of work, but they lose their enjoyment because you are forced to be there. No matter anything else you may have going on in your life, you will be labeled “disengaged” and “not a team player” if you don’t show up and stay til at least 11pm.
    10. UNETHICAL!!! The billing practices here are the most unethical I’ve ever seen in professional services. PMs are incentivized to bill more for bonuses and failure to hit those goals results in “billing training” or further evaluations from your manager. People will log completely falsified billable hours in order to hit cap. It’s completely wrong. But don’t speak up about it or you’ll get chastised.
    11. high turnover. You’ll meet some cool people but they’ll all come to the same realization and quit within the year. Then you’re stuck with a million new files you don’t have the capacity to handle until you leave yourself.
    12) cult. Don’t plan to love anything outside of ag if you chose this to be your career.

Advice to Management

Really ask yourself what type of business you are running here. There are maybe 20/800 that are committed to work there for the rest of their lives. Everyone else leaves within a year because there is no regard to their personal life, professional goals, or opinions. This company WILL fail, and soon.

"Stay away!!"

Former Employee - Attorney in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Attorney in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I genuinely liked the people I worked with.
    - Catered lunches are a nice way to make sure you never leave your desk.

Cons

- You will have no life outside of this company. I am not exaggerating.
    - This company demands the very best and then some, but won’t pay you your market value. Or anywhere close to it. The bonuses are nice, but they’re not worth it when you think about the revenue that you generated for the company and the extra hours and stress that it took you to earn them.
    - Your supervisors will insist that they won’t micromanage you, but they absolutely will. Everybody goes through hours of “mocks” because management wants to make sure that you look flawless in front of a client. It’s all about making the best impression on the client! God forbid you word something awkwardly or go off of the script. This will hold back your promotion for weeks or months, and then you will be told that it’s your own fault for not spending even more time outside of client service hours to study (literally study) or prepare.
    - When you decide that it’s time to leave—and you will—you will be stuck because you will have no time to search for a job that you actually care about.
    - Speaking of leaving: turnover is crazy here. It’s rare to find people who last more than a year.
    - All of the positive reviews here are fake. All of them. Every single one.

Advice to Management

It’s not us, it’s you.

"Not Worth The Stress and Time"

Current Employee - Lead Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free dental and health insurance
    Free lunch
    Your coworkers are honestly great people, most are outgoing, smart, and just fun to be around.
    Gym on site
    Modern building

Cons

Let me start by saying I used to love my job. As I said above, your coworkers are awesome and I genuinely feel that I have made some great friends by working here. That being said, alliantgroup is a perpetually toxic environment. In fact, it is so toxic that for a while the HR department ran a campaign looking for applicants with ‘grit’ and broadly advertised this on all social media accounts (including the dying platform of twitter which the company has asked high level employees to get and maintain as it is the CEOs personal preference). My personal thoughts are if you need to possess grit to maintain a job, should you really be working there? Is this not an automatic red flag? Also, while we are on the topic of HR, please do yourself a favor and click on the link that says rating trends at the top of the page. Here you will notice a large increase in positive reviews starting last summer. Around this time, HR asked employees to write positive reviews as all the negative ones were making it difficult to recruit recent college grads. I assure you this really happened and continues to happen when reviews get too negative to ensure the company can somehow manage the mass exodus of people out of there. You can normally pick these reviews out if they are written by an Associate Director or Senior Associate Director or include the buzzwords of transparency, collaboration, or investment.

While the company is a ‘meritocracy’ this meritocracy has its limits. What the fine print attached to this meritocracy says is that while promotions will not be based on tenure, they will be based on who networks the best, plays the political game, and fully performs the role of the job function above them prior to being promoted. If you want to reach the next level, be sure to use the company’s cultural value buzzwords in every meeting and that promotion will soon be yours. It really doesn’t matter if you mean it or not as long as upper management believes you.

I consider myself a hard worker who gave a lot to the company personally, professionally, and emotionally. However, this place has negatively impacted my life in that I regularly experience physical and mental symptoms of job burn out and constant high stress. While the pay is good, when you break out the numbers compared to the hours you work, the money is not worth the negative impact to my personal life or health.

Advice to Management

Culture is important but don’t let that fool you into thinking people are worthy of promotions and leadership positions. I would personally rather have a manager who I trusted and felt could mentor me rather than someone who overuses the terms transparency and collaboration. People at the company spend far too much time ridiculing each other and direct reports over minor issues instead of highlighting the positive or uplifting people which leads to a perpetually negative environment.

"Amazing opportunities"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have the pleasure of working with great people. This rings true in the amazing diversity of the organization and the relationships I've built with my co-workers. Everyday is a different challenge and I am truly excited to come into work everyday. I know that I am going to have a lot of fun, help U.S. businesses, and grow professionally and personally. The energy this company has is second to none! I just wish I had found this organization years and years ago! I love being a part of the growth and future of the company! Everyone is afforded the same opportunity!

Cons

People who are looking for a clock in clock out job will not be happy. It is a high performance culture, and that is a good thing for those who like to be challenged and make an impact!

Advice to Management

The culture is second to none! Also, thank you for the community outreach programs, wellness initiatives, and support you've provided during times like Hurricane Harvey

"Make a difference, every day!"

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

at alliantgroup, you are in charge of your own career. The atmosphere is perfect for professionals who want to grow their career by working hard in a fun atmosphere. Plus, every day, you get to work with small to mid-size American businesses to help keep jobs in America!

Cons

The con is that we aren't helping MORE businesses - let's keep growing!!

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing work!

"A rare find - be rewarded for your contributions, not your tenure"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time

Pros

Guided by three core values - investment, high performance and the Raving Fan Mission, this company rewards performance and not time with the company. The company is in growth mode making for plenty of opportunity for people looking to grow a career. A large firm with an small-firm mentality, ideas are rewarded and opportunities are endless.

Cons

There is a lot of work. Time management skills will be tested since there is always plenty to do. People that cannot say no and those that have poor time management skills will find it hard to thrive.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring to keep up with the growth!

"Work Here Only if Necessary"

Current Employee - Project Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch, medical, dental. Good FIRST job. All busy work, nothing is hard. Good for people with secretary, administrative, or customer service backgrounds. Can drink at work sometimes

Cons

There is not a great work-life balance. You will be expected to work 12 or more hours sometimes as well as work from home on weekends. Don't work here if you have any type of technical engineering or life science degree. This is not somewhere you will use your degree. The most you will use it is writing a couple paragraphs that "could" be science related, but 99% of your work will not be related to your degree at all, and that goes for all degrees. You really don't even need a degree to do this job. If you are expecting to be intellectually stimulated, this is not the job for you. There is a lot of copy and pasting and filling out templates. In this role you are mostly an assistant. Succeeding here is largely based on being a favorite. It feels a lot like being in college or in a frat or sorority. Leadership is not great here, you will basically be expected to take your training into your own hands with little to no guidance. You will not gain experience or skills that you can apply at other companies, unless it is being a secretary or in an administrative role.

Advice to Management

Work on being more transparent with employees. Give feedback that can be turned into tangible goals.

"Honesty is the best policy"

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None of these are pros, besides the free booze and food. You will gain weight.
    The truth is in the reviews that are not titled BEST PLACE EVER with an over exaggerated amount of exclamations points. Those exclamation points are a clear sign that someone internally was asked to write that review. It is not the best place ever, it’s quite the opposite. Beginning my career at a place like alliantgroup as a fresh graduate, was of course, great. I got introduced to people my age, the atmosphere was fun, the people were friendly and nice, and the best part, I got to drink daily for free. What 22-23 year old wouldn’t love that as a job? Then I slowly watched week by week at least one individual getting fired or leaving. The reason you may ask? It’s all about the culture. The culture appears to be normal once explained to you, but you will soon enough find out that the “culture” is similar to some type of cult, and I am not being dramatic about that. I watched 2 directors get fired for “not being culturally aligned” after being with the firm for at least 5 years. How in that time is someone all of a sudden, not fitting the culture? That’s the go-to phrase when someone leaves or gets fired. Once you make the decision to leave and people find out, no one speaks to you. Not even a congratulations on your new adventure. You are shunned from the alliantgroup society.
    Additionally, you will be told who to associate with. Once management deems someone as “unfit”, you will be told to disengage with that individual and only focus on people on your team. Working 10 hours a day, that’s a minimum. Don’t dare leave on time or people will think you are lazy and not culturally aligned. They will tell you that you have the ability to move up quickly, that’s a lie. Well, it’s not a lie if you are on the right team, which 99% of the time, you’re not. My path was cursed the minute I walked into alliantgroup. 2 directors fired, a handful of PM’s quitting and my personal favorite, a failing team a time or two. A failing team does not directly relate to your cultural alignment or performance, its job security apparently.
    Lastly, HR is a total joke. Not one single person cares about your well-being or promotions. Team leads and HR are besties, which means you will lose, every single time. Speak up once or maybe twice, and you are out. Don’t dare question any unethical situations such as billing practices or the fact that everyone deserves overtime pay, you will be shown the door.
    Moral of the story here kids, do not take the job. It sounds great on paper, but once the blinds are pulled back, it’s toxic. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen people cry after development meetings because they were told they are unworthy, or having personal performance conversations in front of everyone. I can’t tell you how many times people are passed up for leadership positions that actually deserve it. Oh and if you’re married, you can kiss that goodbye. You will never see your SO due to the crazy work hours and expectations to attend every single team outing, including the famous raves where people dress up in inappropriate outfits and perform some type of dance for everyone, and participation is required. This is not a professional work environment. Every Monday, you will get to openly listen to everyone’s weekend stories about who they slept with or how drunk they got. Pretty entertaining if you like that sort of thing in the work place.

Cons

Where do I start? No work-life balance, long hours with no compensation, unethical practices, cult-like mentality, lack of professionalism, lack of real guidance and management.

Advice to Management

My advice to management, look internally and really understand the root of the issues instead of brushing everything under the rug. Use the information your ex-employees are saying, it’s not a coincidence that everyone says the exact same thing in their exit interview (if even given one). Change the hours or start paying employees what they deserve for working 7 days a week. You need a diversified workplace, not everyone needs to be the exact same robot. More ideas come out of diversity of personalities. Oh, might also want to hit up a professional to teach the employees about harassment in the workplace. Might help alleviate some of those comments and allegations. Also take your "leaders" to some type of management and leadership conference, might learn something different from real leaders who have respect from their employees. Its a whole different ballgame when your employees actually trust and respect you.