alliantgroup, LP Reviews in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

Houston, TX Area

1.0
Dhaval R. Jadav

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free lunch everyday, compensated well; wellness program (in 42 reviews)

• Free food, long hours so that I cannot have any outside social interaction (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • absolutely no work life balance (in 48 reviews)

• LONG HOURS, no work/life balance (in 23 reviews)

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

pretty building, covered parking, and what seems to be a high salary and good benefits, provided lunches

Cons

terrible work hours, if you do the math you are paid like shi* for all the hours that are worked. all meetings are done outside of work hours and you can have up to 2-5 meetings a week depending on which group you are in.

you think you have a gym access but there is absolutely no way to access the gym during any hours of 8-6.
    they provide lunch every day which sounds great, but its awful- you eat at your desk and you are frowned upon if you try to leave. and your neighbors food stinks the rest of the day.

Advice to Management

Figure out that people enjoy work and LIFE. you can't keep ppl locked in a building from 8-11pm.
    Ppl are there to work, not be the CEO's friends. It's almost as if he doesn't have anything better to do but throw a meeting to guarantee he has someone to hang out with at night.

"Best shot at an honest and fair review, but this is Big Brother in real life."

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Catered lunch everyday, but options are recycled frequently, and you'll quickly get bored. Free health insurance (for employee only). On site gym. Some of the best people I've met, I met at alliantgroup. You can get promoted multiple times in a short period of time (although this is mostly due to high turnover). Good pay, UNTIL you realize how many hours you are working.

Cons

I'll go ahead and get this out of the way since most reviews you see on here will reference it: terrible hours.

The posted client service hours are 8:30 am - 6:30 pm, but those who actually leave at 6:30 are chastised and viewed as not committed to the organization, even if they have completed their work. You're more likely to leave at around 8:00 pm most days; potentially even later during the two tax seasons. Furthermore, it is highly discouraged / frowned upon to leave for lunch, so you are actually there in a glass box for the entire duration of your sentencing. Most people took work home with them during evenings/on weekends. They don't say work-life balance, they say work-life integration...even they know they are controlling people's lives.

The billing at best is highly unethical and at worst illegal. You're encouraged to bill 80% billable hours / 20% unbillable hours so the client still thinks you're paying attention to their file. You're expected to bill 50-60 billable hours, so at 80% that means you should also be billing 62-75 hours a week... you tell me if that seems reasonable. People are obviously billing for work they don't do and are encouraged to do so by upper management and even rewarded to do so with bonuses.

Their is a very cult like culture. If you don't go to after hour parties, dinners, happy hours, then you are viewed as not committed and a misfit for the culture.

This place is toxic. READ THE MOST RECENT ARTICLE BY THE HOUSTON PRESS. It is all true! If you do nothing else, read that article.

Very high turnover. The average time is less than one year and people who make it two years are already in management because they have the most tenure. New hire classes usually come in weekly with 10-15 new hires. If the Houston office has 300 employees (just a guess), that means they are replacing 3-5% of their workforce WEEKLY.

Most, although not all, of the positive reviews are written by current employees who are instructed to do so in order to get a promotion. Some people genuinely like this place. Think about it....the reviews are all either 1 star or 5 stars, doesn't that seem odd?? Furthermore, all of the "5 star reviews" come in bulk quantities on the same day. This is because when ratings start to plummet, management will send out orders for employees to write a raving review. What are they trying to hide you may ask? The toxic culture that is described in all of the honest reviews!

I ignored all of the warnings and I wish I hadn't. The time I spent at alliantgroup was the most miserable of my adult life. I feel so incredibly lucky to have gotten out and have found a job that I enjoy, where work life balance is actually a thing, and even making more money. Although I had to call in and pretend to be sick in order to actually attend interviews.

"The Ten Commandments of Alliantgroup"

Current Employee - Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growing up, my parents sent me to vacation bible school each and every summer. We always learned about sin, and the dangers of those who sin. The entire time I worked at alliantgroup, I watched people committing sins before my Lord, and wondered when they would be punished. The best part of working for alliantgroup was reading a recent publication, which as the Lord alway does, refilled my cup. My faith in the fact that those who commit sins will be punished had been shaken. It has been restored. I am eternally thankful for alliantgroup for restoring my faith that sinners will be punished.

I understand that all people may not be a religious zealout, like myself. Therefore, I decided to judge the merits of alliantgroup as they stand before my Lord based purely on the Ten Commandments. I will also grade the commandments, based on the degree to which they are broken at alliantgroup.

GRADE SCALE:

1-10. 1 meaning a commandment is followed. 10 meaning part of the mission statement runs contrary to the particular commandment.

Cons

1) You shall have no other gods before Me.

This one, I am not sure if they break or simply misinterpret. The CEO probably believes that this commandment was written by him (or at least written by a project associate somewhere in one of his project summary reports) and therefore is discussing himself. Yes, there are no other gods at alliantgroup other than the CEO. Grade: Incomplete.

2) You shall not make idols.

Once again, pretty tough to determine. I had seen an email in some report discussing some inappropriate things and discussing the CEOs private areas. I found that to be inappropriate about the "Lord of Alliantgroup". Grade: 3/10.

3) You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.

The people of alliantgroup use the phrase "G-d d*mn craigggggg" so often it hurts. I was constantly hurt by the fact that my name was not craig (did they know my name), but was glad because I know my Lord may strike them down, and I didn't want my actual names in the transcript when he learned of these atrocities. Grade 5/10.

4) Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Whether you are Jewish, Christian, Mormon, or any other religion, the sabbath will always come second to your "billable" hours. You have two choices, you can either claim billable hours throughout the week that you did not work, OR you can work on the Sabbath to meet the billable hour standards. You are forced to break either commandment 4 or commandment 8 or 9. Since they will give you the choice on which commandment to break, I will judge this one with a grain of salt. Grade 4/10

5) Honor your father and your mother.

CEO and COO are shown great honor by their plebes. Grade: 1/10. They follow this commandment.

6) You shall not murder.

There were no murders committed at alliantgroup. I did see at least 200 people fired. I felt that necessary to mention because thats the business form of murder. Grade 1/10.

7) You shall not commit adultery.

This is my favorite one. One of the "perks" of becoming a "craig" or upper management is that as a gift upon your promotion, you are given (similar to a dowry) your very own CRA to commit adultery with. You get to choose this one on your own, however. You can choose a relationship director, but be careful not to step on any toes when doing so! Best part is, while your wife is in a suburb tucking your children in and reading them a bedtime story, you get to be drinking (sin!) gambling (sin!) and dancing (sin!) with a cute young thing in Las Vegas (sin!). Even the good family men will fall victim to these fresh college graduates, as if these women are Sirens from the Illiad, luring them away from Clear Lake and Katy, and into the arms of young, recent college graduates in Las Vegas. Since both of the founders (that still work there) are unmarried and are therefore unable to commit adultery, this grade is lessened. 8.5/10.

8) You shall not steal.

10!!!!! Sorry, I am supposed to wait until the end to give out my grades. Which part of their stealing is the worst? These people steal from the government (by claiming false R&D credits), they steal from their clients (by claiming billable hours that were not worked) and they steal from each other (by taking credit for each others work, as well as by forcing people to work unbillable hours after the "cap" is hit.) As a gift to the people of alliantgroup, I have rewritten their mission statement for them since I felt "Helping small to mid-sized businesses" wasn't exactly accurate. I feel as if "We get 35%, you get a 12 page PSR!" is a much more appropriate mission statement. Feel free to use that, I will claim no ownership over it. You can have it. For once, you won't be stealing something.
    Grade- 10/10. Wish I could go higher, but I respect the rating scale too much.

9) You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

Does testifying (before God and our courts) that these companies ACTUALLY qualify for R&D credits count as bearing false witness? Yes. Does telling every employee "we see a ton of potential in you, that's why we are [insert punishment here] in order to get them to do whatever you want count as bearing false witness? Yes. Does making fake glass door reviews and posting them trying to lure people into your cult count as bearing false witness? Yes. I have seen enough. Everything here is a lie before our Lord. Grade 10/10.

10) You shall not covet.

We are all forced to break this one. When you look at your most recent bank statement to see you are behind on your home payment, and then see the CEO drive up in a 900K Porche at 3 in the afternoon, yeah, you're gonna covet his life. The man is the definition of gluttony. He eats, drinks soda-pop (sin!) and tells dirty jokes during his entire work day. 3:00PM-6:00PM. He does send his occasional 2:45AM email so we plebes think he is working late. Grade 9/10.

Advice to Management

God is watching.

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee." Ezekial Elliot 25:17.

"GET OUT! RUN! IT'S NOT WORTH IT!"

Former Employee - Associate Director in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch, amazing training, and awesome coworkers

Cons

Read all the bad reviews and the latest expose is the Houstonpress and then add some things that they didn't mention:
    * you will watch your friends and anyone you become close with get tortured, be ostracized, ignored, picked on and you will probably see them cry in the bathroom every day until they quit. More than likely though, they will be fired. In 18 months this happened 8 times and each time it was heart wrenching. None of these people were bad employees and all of them had what it took to be an "a" elite. Most of them just had too much integrity and self worth to lie, cheat and steal.
    *favortism is based on two things - relinquishing your life and soul or letting them sexually objectify you. The CEO throw raves and the elite executives force girls to do sexual sketches. This may seem like I'm exaggerating, but I'm not. You will hear rumors about girls getting text messages from the owner. You won't believe any of it until you see it. When you see it, you will have to decide if a paycheck is worth it.
    *HR does not care about federal labor laws and protecting employees. They don't even care about protecting the company. They are there to make sure the revolving door keeps revolving fresh meat. Constantly.
    *they have been sued many times by former employees and they have sued former employees
    *once you leave, you will never recover fully.
    This place is every employees worst nightmare.
    Consider yourself warned

Advice to Management

Nothing will change them. No advice, no review, no newspaper article, and no lawsuit. They don't believe in anything other than money. What's a God to a non-believer?

"Don't be fooled by glowing reviews - current employees are forced to write them"

Former Employee - MBA Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - MBA Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lunches were OK (not great).
    The lowest level employees are awesome people.

Cons

I don't like reading walls of text so I will spare you and give you some bullet points instead:

-The most revolting company culture I have ever had the unfortunate luck to be around. The cult of personality around the CEO is off-putting. During the Christmas party, he would not let it start until he heard enough toasts to him on stage by his subordinates. This lasted about 20 minutes before the party started.

-This “great pay” for bad work sentiment is a myth for anyone with a business degree. It is not good pay.

-The work/life balance is poor.

-They hire girls based on looks. This is not an exaggeration. I have been in on some of these hiring discussions.

-The actual work is dull, formulaic, and uninspired.

-The billing practices felt unethical at best and illegal at worst. The lowest employees are given the worst “billable” customers and berated in team meetings for not meeting billable goals. Therefore, they knowingly put pressure on you to either falsify billable hours to meet quota OR keep taking the punishment for not hitting billable goals.

-Mandatory lip syncing and costume parties. This is not an exaggeration or metaphor.

-They provide food for lunch every work day and dinner during tax season. Obviously, they don’t want you to leave. This has been mentioned on countless reviews. However, the food was not great. Sometimes they would have a decent national chain come in, but usually it was underwhelming and I would rather walk to the Galleria.

-It is a terrible place to work. If you have other options, I would strongly suggest you take a harder look at them.

Advice to Management

You should work somewhere else. I would be embarrassed if I were in upper management after the Houston Press article came out. See you in an Organizational Behavior Case study in 10 years.

"Terrible Work/Life Balance"

Current Employee - Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Lunch AND Free Dinner - Yes, if a company is offering you free dinner, it means that they expect you to work long into the evening.

Cons

No work/life balance. Extremely high turnover. Too much travel. Bad publicity.

"Toxic Cult-Like place"

Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pros
    Free Lunch
    Pay is decent at first
    fun co-workers
    Full medical and dental and vision
    At first this place seems like google. fun young people, company happy hour, free lunches and half the yr free dinner etc The most of the new employees are good fun loving people. They have good perks like onsite gym and wellness classes. The bldg is nice and in a great location with free parking.

Cons

No work life balance
    unethical practices
    brown-nose type culture at its worse

After the honeymoon of three months of so you get a better idea of the place. They bring lunch and dinner in so that they can bill the client more and keep you in the bldg. they do not want you to go home and even want you to work weekends. They claim that if you go home before 6:30 that you are only working for a check even if you have finished your workload. They want you to live for them and have no outside life.

They create a toxic work environment that is extremely unprofessional. There is a reason that most people that work their that are not management are younger than 28 and are unmarried with no kids. They try to trick and trap you with decent pay and bonuses. Most intelligent people see past this trick and leave. Intelligent people also soon realized that management does not care for them and belittle you as quick as the season change. if 90% of your promotion or raise depends on your brown nosing skill than there is a bigger issue.

Most of the positive reviews you will read are probably fake, written by the paid employees to balanced out the negative.

Advice to Management

When your turnover is as high as McDonald's than you have a issue. Truly try to invest in your employees lives and not how they make you feel. Let them have a outside life.

"If I could give 0 stars I would"

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch
    Free benefits

Cons

Late hours
    Lack of work life balance

Advice to Management

If I could give this company 0 stars I would. I wish I would have read the reviews on glassdoor before I even considered this company as a place for employment. Everyone who works here succeeds if you brown nose or throw your colleagues under the bus. You don't have time for friends or outside influences because they cater lunches to keep you from leaving. This is obviously a tactic to keep you from taking an hour lunch. Most people work through lunch amd eat at their desk. Once a week you have "team meetings" where you discuss ways to improve the company. In the meetings that you stay at until 10 PM everyone throws each other under the bus to brown nose up to the CEO. During the work week, everyone stares at you if you leave at 6PM or if you have an outside life. The turnover is extremely high because they fire employees who dont fit their mold. If you want an outside life or have a family STAY AWAY. So happy to have a job that isn't toxic and draining!

"Build you up only to tear you down"

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Daily catered lunches
    Pay is OK (not worth having to work 12+ hours a day)
    Casual dress code
    Health insurance is 100% paid for by the company
    On site gym

Cons

You will be worked like a slave. The hours are ridiculous. If you actually leave the building for lunch you will be questioned. It's very much a frat and cult like culture. They make you feel really special for being "selected" and make you feel incredibly stupid if you're not "in". They will tell you the negative reviews are fake and that's absolutely false. HR department is extremely unethical and I have never worked in a more toxic environment. DO NOT work here.

Advice to Management

Doesn't matter what I write here... they won't change.

"Read the latest news reports on this company!!"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The fact that I don't work there anymore. The fact that someone finally published what really goes on at this company.

Cons

Be sure to read the latest news report regarding the actions of the CEO. Buyer beware. It's all true. It's the same behavior and "culture" that gets trickled down.

Advice to Management

Stop doing what the article says.