alliantgroup, LP Reviews in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

Houston, TX Area

3.5
Dhaval R. Jadav

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free lunch until you realize it's because they expect you to work during lunch or schedule meetings during lunch (in 47 reviews)

• Free food, long hours so that I cannot have any outside social interaction (in 33 reviews)

Cons

"Working at Alliant Group was awful."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

they provided lunch to the staff everyday

Cons

Management was awful and I quit without another job to go to. To the best of my knowledge so did basically everyone else that started at the same time I did which was approximately 10 people.

Advice to Management

Grow up and get a life and quit playing silly games with the company and the employees. Worst working experience of my life.

"Senior Associate"

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really its very difficult to assume that the company has pros with respect to their employees. The pro here is that this company is making money and work will be there.

Cons

If you cherish family, social life, and time away from work then this job will rip this away from you. Your life becomes your work here. Most employees they hire are at the bottom and are entry level but even more senior individuals are worked to death. People develop irregular sleep patterns, and are prone to develop drinking and smoking habits to relieve from the stress, especial during there main tax seasons (Feb-March) (Aug Sept) but in reality the stress is year round. The company attempts to provide a fraternity like culture where pledges are turned into embarrassing examples. Where proving yourself competent is always required in the sense that you'll be humiliated otherwise amongst your peers and amongst the entire company through mass emailing. Those who stay quiet and try and stay out of this culture and quickly eliminated by discouraging their work and finding fault till either they quit or are fired.

I obtained this job because of necessity and the moment I landed a new job I quit without regret. I have almost two years of my life to working here and by far this is the single worst job anyone could ever ask for. Don't be fooled into the seemingly professional atmosphere by the way they are required to dress.

I could never advise anyone to work there and I have told many people currently at the company STUCK that I would help them get out.

Advice to Management

Really there is no hope for management since management exemplifies the fraternity like culture.

"Unless you really need a job, don't work here"

Current Employee - Project Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can make plenty of money and everyone seems to like it for it for the first 6 months

Cons

Work - Life balance is terrible. Plan on working a 100 hours a week.

"Would not recommend"

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on the group you are placed in, this job would not be any worse than working at a Big 4 firm. If you play the game correctly, you can be promoted very quickly. You will learn a lot and the work is interesting. If you graduated with a liberal arts degree, this may be one of the better jobs available. If you like to travel, this is also a plus. I was out of the office 40% of the time.

Cons

Best case scenario, you work 100+ hours during tax season and 80 rest of the year. The downside is alliantgroup is not looked at in a favorable light by most accounting firms. Part of this is due to lack of recognition (due to size) and part of this is alliantgroup has been involved in numerous lawsuits and disputes with reputable accounting firms. alliantgroup tries to emulate the Big 4 accounting firm practice of bringing in a ton of people and weeding them out. Unfortunately there are not companies lined up to hire those people afterwords like with the Big 4 firms. Once you leave this company (I promise you will dream of this day as soon as you hit 6 months) don't expect for other employers to value the experience you received at alliantgroup.

There is also a strict hierarchy here. If you are hired as a project associate, be prepared to be talked to by the directors and associates. Double if you are hired on as Admin position. alliantgroup started a group for client relation experts while I was working there. This group is the worst. They have direct access to the owner of the company and their role is basically to act as informants within the company. They don't understand the tax credits are calculated but are higher on the food chain then associates and project associates. Management is very young and unprofessional. Be prepared for a lot of gossip and backstabbing. Part of this is also not management’s fault, since they are also project managers for a large number of projects and have not had a life outside of work for years.

If you cannot find any other job elsewhere is the only reason I would consider taking a position at this company.

Advice to Management

Hire people to actually manage. Get rid of the client relation experts.

"alliantgroup is a frat house!! All Previous Favorable Reviews Were Internal Propaganda!!"

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

$5 lunch credit to the cafeteria
    Free pop from the vending machine
    Dinner catered in so that you have to/must work late
    Monthly birthday cake parties
    Training new people, because it's a turnstile, most every new employee catches on 6 month into the job.

Cons

The expectation to work ridiculous hours per week. There is no work life balance!

"Work hard play hard", for who, not me and my group! Management plays hard, playing on their Xbox while we are working late hours!

You start off working 50 hours per week. Gradually, that gets accelerated to minimum 12 hour days with 6 day work weeks. You might even be given a guilt trip to work Sundays.

You will be expected to communicate all the time while you are on vacation or even during religious holidays!

Your pay will be below average. Good luck with any pay raises or reviews.

Bonuses are discretionary and if you are fortunate to get one, it might be paid to you in pennies.

Ever saw Animal House? This place is a close second. Jeans and a polo shirt is the dress code.

Completely classless company considering the industry. Their reputation speaks volumes about them. Just search the company and lawsuits, there are many!

Have this job on your resume will not help your career.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to stop driving their high end cars, step away from their big screen TVs in their offices, stop the games and ridicule! Get in the office the same business hours you expect from your employees!!!

"Unprofessional, political and very high turnover - First page of reviews is clearly the company."

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are right out of college, you will make decent money for having no experience. Good parties with open bar.

Cons

However, the hours you will work and stuff you will have to put up with makes no amount of money worth it and you will be underpaid for your worth. "Tax Season" is year-round because turnover is so high. Everyone in management is out for their own and this company has the most deluded ideas and abuses group think. You are not a person here, you are a working monkey and if you let them walk all over you with the long hours and extreme study loads, they will. You will be told we want you to leave at 6:30pm each day - but then given unreasonable work loads that require long nights and weekend working. There is a reason no one has a family in this company. Don't be fooled by the quick promotions - management is benefiting from promoting quickly and getting bonuses - told to promote quickly. People aren't prepared to be promoted but are in order to keep them around - then they quit anyways because they are overwhelmed with the work load and responsibilities of a promotion. Speaking of bonuses - billing is the only thing rewarded here. Not hard work - how much money can you bill to your clients. Bonuses are hard to get when you are new because uppers push non-billable work down. People will bill 100+ hours to billable files during "billing contests" - contest set to bring in revenue at the end of quarter etc. If you are an attorney - billing this way will be a problem for you.

Advice to Management

I don't think there is anything that can be done to improve this place. Management will never listen. People leaving all the time is not enough. My only advice is to get rid of recruiting. They are awful. Also stop hiring "talent". Hire people that need money and will work for it no matter the dirty feeling you get by being apart of this company. Also hire people that don't have experience and won't leave for better opportunities - because they don't know better. Start letting people expense their alcohol bills - it is the only way people can survive this job.

"Absolutely Horrible"

Former Employee - Client Relations in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Client Relations in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food, free parking, they pay decent and the benefits are fine as well

Cons

Long hours, poor management, unprofessional...The company is incredibly unprofessional as a whole. I was invited to a meeting/"party" at the corporate house my first week of joining where all the company senior associates were drinking and dancing around, even banging on pots. You are made to work long hours and if you do not comply, they fire you. I worked for Alliantgroup for almost 3 months and saw 5 people let go. Three of them were given no explanation. My boss kept whiskey at the office and drank on the job. I was told this is not uncommon. Everything about this job was horrific. I took it off my resume as soon as I left. It is embarrassing to admit having worked for Alliantgroup. The environment is much more like a cult than a workplace....Also, the reviews at the beginning are posted by upper management to try and cover up the fact that the company has an extremely high turnover rate with very unhappy employees.

Advice to Management

Reorganize and rethink the whole company

"Lack of professionalism"

Current Employee - Architecture Associate/Energy Modeler in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Architecture Associate/Energy Modeler in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a decent enough salary with overtime pay included, they pay $5 everyday for your lunch from a café that was onsite

Cons

No discipline regarding work ethic, no repercussions for those who screw around during work, forced overtime work, lots of coworkers who spend hours goofing around, lots of crude language around the office, managers who don't have a gameplan for workloads, just overall bad work environment that can drive you insane

Advice to Management

Change the culture of lack of discipline, learn to be more professional, don't badmouth numerous employees behind their backs

"Mistake of accepting position and working there for as long as I did."

Former Employee - Project Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Drinking was allowed at the office. Worked with individuals around my age. Unlimited sodas. Food during the tax seasons.

Cons

Drinking was allowed at the office. Expect to be present at every company event outside of work hours, regardless of personal matters or previous engagements. Too much slacking off during hours. Gossip went around like wildfire.

Advice to Management

Need to reevaluate yourself, other management personal and the individuals currently working there.

"Probably the worst company to work for in Houston"

Former Employee - Associate Director in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lasting friendships even after you quit or get fired.
    Vending machines
    Free Food during tax season

Cons

-Favortism
    -Overworked for absolutely nothing
    -High Turnover
    -I had employees who work there, tell me not to work for the company when i was interviewing; i even had a director tell me that i should not trust anyone at the company and pointed out who i should and should not talk to - uh, what is this high school?
    -HR has even quit - if they're so amazing, why is the HR team quitting?

Advice to Management

Your motto is "Job Creation" but yet you have the highest turnover ever - it doesn't make sense. You should also re-evaluate your standard of ethics, especially since you're dealing with small to mid sized companies and their confidential tax information; one may have nothing to do with the other but you should consider your character to be the real ruling on that concept.
    If all your data entry and marketing team can think of to sway someone's decision to work here is "vending machines and free food" as the pros - you have a bigger problem and answers your question why your turnover is so high and they never mention it.