alliantgroup, LP Reviews in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

Houston, TX Area

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dhaval R. Jadav

Pros
  • Free food, long hours so that I cannot have any outside social interaction (in 32 reviews)

• Health and dental benefits, casual dress code, free lunch daily (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • I have no problem with the work hours, but I can see how people with children might have a hard time having a work life balance (in 40 reviews)

• Consistent long hours year round (in 47 reviews)

1. "Terrible Work/Life Balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch everyday, compensated well; wellness program

Cons

Don't work here if you have a family or want a good work/life balance. It's common to work from 7 am-11 pm.

Advice to Management

Review the hours you make employees work.

"Do Not Reccomend"

Former Employee - Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Brilliant people. Decent stepping stone into the Big 4 or other top consulting companies.

Cons

Negative work environment. Promotions are only given to select few, and the requirements for bonuses are virtually impossible to meet. Company is failing financially, and is often sued by clients who end up in audit and due to unethical practices. Alliantgroup has an awful reputation in Houston, and is considered a joke among other consulting companies.

Extremely high pressure environment due to high turn over, financial stress, 12 hr work days, and poor management cause resentment and distrust among colleagues and management. Because of this, Alliantgroup restructures its teams every few months. I worked there for over a year and was on three different teams, and only 2 of the 15 people I started with are still at the company. They also preclude PTO 6 mo out of the year due to tax seasons. A recruiter told me that she saw more employees trying to leave Alliantgroup than any other company in Houston.

Pay is low in comparison to competitors, and many employees take on side jobs (like driving for Uber) to cover rent and student loans.

I have had many people contact me about working here, and I have discouraged each one from applying or accepting an offer. Because of the oil price collapse and layoffs in Houston, Alliantgroup hired many young people who were desperate for a job. I was one of these hires, and spent a long time regretting it. Don't waste your talent like I did.

Advice to Management

The extremely high rate of employee turn over should tell you something. Change your policies and approach to management. You cannot expect people to work 12 hr days and weekends if youre going to underpay them.

"Project Associate"

Current Employee - Project Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP (Less than a year)

Pros

Before I went in for my interview, I read the reviews and have to say now that I have been working for a few months that they are not true. Yes, we have a 8:30 to 6:30 general work day but that is because we are consultants. We have amazing perks, free lunch everyday, we can drink after 5, and get to leave early most Fridays and get to leave early more than one would imagine. There is a great atmosphere and culture. I recently graduated from college and could not have asked for a better job! The pay is great, free health care, and have an amazing group of passionate people who I get to work with.

Cons

A more direct path to promotion.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! I love the how engaging the trainings are and everybody truly cars about growth and investment.

"difficult but well worth it"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

grew more here in 2 years than in 5 years at my previous job; free breakfast, lunch and dinner; free gym; free yoga, circuit training, pilates lasses; free health assessments; outsized bonuses; can make more $ here than anywhere else; chance to meet former and current governors, senators and congressmen and know them on a first name basis; help us businesses grow; given a lot of responsibility from the start

Cons

you will work 50 hours a week; will challenge your brain more than you thought possible

Advice to Management

need more experienced managers

"horrible environment and atmosphere"

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

provided lunch, free health insurance for singles, great location and office.

Cons

Where to begin...

The hours are OUTRAGEOUS! You're expected to come in at 08:30 AM. Client service hours end at 06:30 PM -- but your day doesn't end there. There are ALWAYS last minute meetings, extra assignments or mandatory activities. In a nutshell, here are the problems I noticed with this company.

1. Very cult, frat-like atmosphere. The values and philosophies are engrained in people's heads, and heaven forbid if someone disagrees with it.

2. Management are insecure bullies all striving to get to the next level. It's not unusual for any of them to call a subordinate out in front of everyone or speak to a fellow employee with a abnormally high level of condescension. It's all an attempt to strike fear into people in hopes of developing them for the next level -- VERY demoralizing way of developing someone professionally.

2. Lack of consistency - one day everyone is on their high horse about something then they just forget about it the next day. My question is, how does a young professional expect to take a company seriously if the management displays inconsistency.

3. They claim to be "client-first", but that's a major lie. It's all about making money,so people can hit their bonuses -- which are difficult to impossible -- to attain.

4 The main reason people claim to assist each other is so they can look good in front of management.

5. Lastly, my biggest gripe -- nobody is held accountable or disciplined for their actions. This is integral for a company to run smoothly, but this place allows people to get away with murder.

This is a for a young college graduate who just needs a pay check or experience for 6-12 months. However, it's hard to believe people spent 50 grand on a degree and end up working here.

It's a place where young people get brainwashed into thinking this is how life and the "real world" is, which is absolutely not true.

Advice to Management

Respect the younger, less experienced employees and learn how to develop people better.

"I am enjoying myself"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been at alliantgroup for almost two months. I'm very happy with my career and the decision to come here. My last job made me depressed on Sunday afternoons, I had no upward mobility no matter how hard I worked and my colleagues didn't pull their weight. Here, everyone has upward mobility, there is so much fun work to do that the day goes by very quickly and there is very little red tape that gets in between having a new idea and bringing that new idea to life. I am really enjoying myself and I'm having a lot of fun with my team. They are good people. Every day is different and I'm constantly learning about new industries.

Also, the free lunches are making a difference in my health. I've got a simple palate and I used to eat most of my meals from the microwave. alliantgroup's meals are much more balanced than what I've been feeding myself for the past few years! I don't think I've ever eaten so many vegetables in my life.

I have not seen any of the silly stuff some of these reviews talk about.

Cons

This is a very young workforce and a small handful of people lack basic social skills.

Advice to Management

I think you guys know that to take the company to the next level, you're going to have to hire some more senior people than you've been hiring for the past 15 years. Continue to bring in experienced hires -- people who have proven themselves at other places -- who can bring their skill sets and knowledge to alliantgroup and help drive the company to the next level.

"Play the Game, or Don't Pass Go"

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- free food, free soda
    - big parties
    - lots of contests
    - decent pay
    - good location

- If you are hyper competitive, you can promote quickly and lead your own team
    - If you buddy up with leadership and become a yes man, you will win lots in bonuses and awards

Cons

Let me say: I hated working here. I will try to be objective, but just let that be known up front. I was unwilling to back stab and throw other people under buses. I wasn't willing to kowtow to the powers that be and speak only in buzzwords. I did my job, but tried to keep the best interests of the clients in mind instead of my own, which apparently was not the correct protocol.

This company gave me anxiety issues that I now need medication for. I couldn't get through the day without throwing up or crying. I couldn't understand why the reviews were so shining. Then I realized they were written under coercion.

Walking the halls every day wondering who was getting fired was too much stress. Knowing your teams would be rearranged every few months because they couldn't hold on to enough experienced employees to make their current teams work was bizarre.

Advice to Management

Change. Everything.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food, long hours so that I cannot have any outside social interaction!

Compensated for posting 5* reviews on this site!

Cons

Frat house mentality
    Cut throat (everyone throws anybody and everybody under the bus to succeed)
    LONG HOURS
    Snitched on when you leave early
    What work/life balance. It's work, work and more work. Oh wait, don't forget to max out all the hours on the project. Seriously, I had one staff charge 120 hours in a week!!!!

"The Cut Throat Will Succeed"

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are great opportunities for upward mobility due to the turnover. Hourly employees can bank on the over time they work, while salaried employees are often rewarded with sizable bonuses. Contests will also earn you big checks and gift cards. Of course, free lunch, and during tax season, dinner. Facilities are gorgeous and the location is great.

Cons

This company is definitely a great home for a particular personality type. People who are comfortable making work their whole life, who don't mind incredibly long days, and people who love "playing the game" will thrive here. Employees who enjoy work/life balance, who are involved in anything outside of work, and who are not prone to drinking the blue a kool-aide likely won't last.

I found that if I got my work done on time and left at a reasonable hour, I would get chastised for not being a team player, for not staying late, and for being committed.

Teams constantly get restructured due to crazy turnover. By the time I left a year after I started, I had seen my entire training class slowly die off. Not one member of the team that recruited me was there when I left. You'd often ask where a teammate was only to find out they'd been fired, with no real consideration given to how it would affect the rest of the team.

It isn't uncommon to hear girls crying or vomiting in the bathrooms due to stress, and the lack of emotional maturity in the company often led to explosive interactions.

Most of the work I did there seemed redundant and only done to justify upping billing on more lucrative accounts.

Advice to Management

Hire carefully, prepare new team members for success by providing MEANINGFUL training, and spend less time worrying about how many hours your people work, instead focus on the quality of their work.

"Associate Director"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have recently joined alliantgroup just under a year ago and I am so happy I did. I read all the pros and cons and did my own research and I am so glad I did! Everything I want from an employer and in a new job I have found here. I am able to watch my co-workers celebrate their success and they celebrate mine. We are changing the world with what we are doing for our clients in keeping jobs here in the U.S. and the fact that we are able to help CEO's uncover the cash refunds they are eligible for is all the more rewarding. If you have been successful in your career and you want to work for the company that will reward you for your hard work when you want to work here with us.

Cons

The company is growing at such a rapid pace we need more top performers. If you do not want to have your work reviewed or be part of an elite group then don't come here. Some people come here and think they are going to change us and then they don't work out so that sometimes puts pressure on the others so know what you want in your career and be honest with the person you are meeting with in what you are looking for.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!!! I love it!!!!!!