alliantgroup, LP Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 11, 2017

1.0
Dhaval R. Jadav

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free lunch everyday, compensated well; wellness program (in 42 reviews)

• Free food, long hours so that I cannot have any outside social interaction (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • absolutely no work life balance (in 48 reviews)

• LONG HOURS, no work/life balance (in 23 reviews)

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

pretty building, covered parking, and what seems to be a high salary and good benefits, provided lunches

Cons

terrible work hours, if you do the math you are paid like shi* for all the hours that are worked. all meetings are done outside of work hours and you can have up to 2-5 meetings a week depending on which group you are in.

you think you have a gym access but there is absolutely no way to access the gym during any hours of 8-6.
    they provide lunch every day which sounds great, but its awful- you eat at your desk and you are frowned upon if you try to leave. and your neighbors food stinks the rest of the day.

Advice to Management

Figure out that people enjoy work and LIFE. you can't keep ppl locked in a building from 8-11pm.
    Ppl are there to work, not be the CEO's friends. It's almost as if he doesn't have anything better to do but throw a meeting to guarantee he has someone to hang out with at night.

"They literally asked us to write "honest" Glassdoor reviews"

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time

Pros

Free catered lunch with minimal health value, a tiny gym open at all hours but you can only use it before 8:30a or after 6:30p if you're not "blue a elite", lots of free beer and wine during company happy hours and events, and some of the nicest and most intelligent coworkers you'll ever have. Seriously, there are some incredibly smart engineers, lawyers, and individuals with PhDs working here.

Cons

They wanted an honest review, so here it is. HR. I mean "talent," because that's what they renamed themselves and we don't have an actual HR group anymore because they focus most of their time on hiring and trying to retain disgruntled employees... anyways, they reach out to people that appear to love the company and beg them to write 5 star reviews. All 5 star reviews are fake. Please realize this. I'm convinced people make multiple Glassdoor accounts to just keep posting high reviews to try to save their awful rating.

I originally was going to title this review as "you're now a brother/sister of alliantgroup fraternity" but I thought it was better to inform everyone that they beg you from the inside to post 5 star reviews because it's that bad. On your first day, you're herded like cattle into the shiny elevator where you emerge on the 20th floor to walk through a tunnel of excited new coworkers utilizing noisemakers to welcome you into your new fraternity that you just sold your soul to. They paint you a very pretty picture to sign your life away, showing you a beautiful oasis. but all it is, is an oasis. If you've had a job before and were laid off or fresh out of college and can't find a job... walk away now and save your sanity. I know what you're thinking, "Wow, they'll pay me a lot of money to get awesome work experience while I continue to look for another job." Think again. After you're there over 10 hours each day (make it 12+ during the 5 month long tax seasons you cannot take PTO during), you have no time or energy to apply for other jobs that you're actually passionate about. There will be moments where you'll love the place, like a great client experience or a good interaction with your coworkers, but that thought will always quickly change when you realize you're undervalued and not treated as a person, more as a cog in the wheel.

They believe in a raving fan mission, which is great, they really want their clients to have a great experience. This should show you right here that this job is basically a sales role - through every client interaction, you're preached to "add value" to try and retain clients. They hold "Raving Fan Rows" where they force you to cold call your clients, regardless of where you are in the study process, to badger and beg them to write a testimonial letter or refer their friends. Again, this job is heavy on a salesman persona, so if that's not you, you will not be comfortable in this role.

Have you read the Houston chronicle articles about the sexual harassment and daily occurrences at this place? It's all true. Every single word. As you can see, former employees AND many current employees dislike this place enough to sell news to the media to expose the wrongdoings on the inside. You'll find during your time here, the only happy people are the ones with no outside life and practically live inside the big blue A's walls.

They love to hold their culture against you and stifle your promotions if you're not "culturally aligned." I watch ill equipped people gain and maintain positions they're not qualified for simply because they live, eat, breathe this company. Being culturally aligned includes drinking beer during working hours with your coworkers at work. being forced to interact with coworkers while still working on client files. Being culturally aligned requires you to spend much more time at work outside of the ridiculously required 50 hours for a salary job (yes it's literally a minimum of 50 hours per week for a straight salary position). Do the math. We work 20% more than normal 40 hour/week people, so your salary is really 20% less in that respect. Anytime your coworkers organize a team function or a hang out, you better be there, regardless of what you have going on at home, because they'll hold it against you later and make you feel inferior because you have a family or hobbies at home.

You'll question ethics and morals here. It might take a while, but it will happen. You're given incentives like half days and bonuses to over-bill clients and you'll find some of your coworkers hoard billable work for themselves, or even worse, bill to clients and tasks they never actually worked on.

Sure, if you're a young, fresh twenty something that's single and have minimal friends or outside interests, you might love this place. It'll feel like a warm embrace with all of these 22-27 year olds trying to carry a company. You'll see high up managers taking vacations with people they oversee. Professional, eh? You can even go hang out with C-level management at Cle and be set for life. However, if you're a self-respecting person, regardless of age, you'll hate every minute of your time here. Say goodbye to your family when you leave your house Monday morning because you won't get to spend time with them again until late Friday night. You'll literally be "working for the weekend."

PTO - yes, you get 15 days to start, but you better have your phone with company e-mail or your computer on you at all times because they force you to be available to your clients at all times. Automatic out of office replies are not allowed (this was told to me once and I received a text message asking me to remove it), but it's becoming more commonplace now. Rules like this, like many others, are not written down anywhere and cannot be validated and fluctuate across different teams. You can't take PTO during spring (February through mid-April) and fall (August through mid-October) tax seasons anyways.

When you read reviews about people crying and feeling worthless, believe it, because I've felt it. I've gone and taken a half hour nap in my car because I've been utterly exhausted from working, I've cried on the bathroom floor, I've cried in conference rooms, I've walked to the water wall and literally contemplated my existence... it's not a healthy environment. My mental health and self-worth deteriorated during my tenure here. Even on the days that I love my job and I feel so much support from coworkers, you're utterly overworked here and are slowly wasting away. You'll see 28 year old people who have only worked here a few years with bags under their eyes every day and slowly forming wrinkles. I am not joking. Everything in here is true.

Advice to Management

Come out of your offices and get to know the people making you money. One of my managers didn't even know my name for months and has still to this day never had a real conversation with me unless I marched into the person's office myself to share information or ask for help

"Best shot at an honest and fair review, but this is Big Brother in real life."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Catered lunch everyday, but options are recycled frequently, and you'll quickly get bored. Free health insurance (for employee only). On site gym. Some of the best people I've met, I met at alliantgroup. You can get promoted multiple times in a short period of time (although this is mostly due to high turnover). Good pay, UNTIL you realize how many hours you are working.

Cons

I'll go ahead and get this out of the way since most reviews you see on here will reference it: terrible hours.

The posted client service hours are 8:30 am - 6:30 pm, but those who actually leave at 6:30 are chastised and viewed as not committed to the organization, even if they have completed their work. You're more likely to leave at around 8:00 pm most days; potentially even later during the two tax seasons. Furthermore, it is highly discouraged / frowned upon to leave for lunch, so you are actually there in a glass box for the entire duration of your sentencing. Most people took work home with them during evenings/on weekends. They don't say work-life balance, they say work-life integration...even they know they are controlling people's lives.

The billing at best is highly unethical and at worst illegal. You're encouraged to bill 80% billable hours / 20% unbillable hours so the client still thinks you're paying attention to their file. You're expected to bill 50-60 billable hours, so at 80% that means you should also be billing 62-75 hours a week... you tell me if that seems reasonable. People are obviously billing for work they don't do and are encouraged to do so by upper management and even rewarded to do so with bonuses.

Their is a very cult like culture. If you don't go to after hour parties, dinners, happy hours, then you are viewed as not committed and a misfit for the culture.

This place is toxic. READ THE MOST RECENT ARTICLE BY THE HOUSTON PRESS. It is all true! If you do nothing else, read that article.

Very high turnover. The average time is less than one year and people who make it two years are already in management because they have the most tenure. New hire classes usually come in weekly with 10-15 new hires. If the Houston office has 300 employees (just a guess), that means they are replacing 3-5% of their workforce WEEKLY.

Most, although not all, of the positive reviews are written by current employees who are instructed to do so in order to get a promotion. Some people genuinely like this place. Think about it....the reviews are all either 1 star or 5 stars, doesn't that seem odd?? Furthermore, all of the "5 star reviews" come in bulk quantities on the same day. This is because when ratings start to plummet, management will send out orders for employees to write a raving review. What are they trying to hide you may ask? The toxic culture that is described in all of the honest reviews!

I ignored all of the warnings and I wish I hadn't. The time I spent at alliantgroup was the most miserable of my adult life. I feel so incredibly lucky to have gotten out and have found a job that I enjoy, where work life balance is actually a thing, and even making more money. Although I had to call in and pretend to be sick in order to actually attend interviews.

"The Ten Commandments of Alliantgroup"

Current Employee - Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growing up, my parents sent me to vacation bible school each and every summer. We always learned about sin, and the dangers of those who sin. The entire time I worked at alliantgroup, I watched people committing sins before my Lord, and wondered when they would be punished. The best part of working for alliantgroup was reading a recent publication, which as the Lord alway does, refilled my cup. My faith in the fact that those who commit sins will be punished had been shaken. It has been restored. I am eternally thankful for alliantgroup for restoring my faith that sinners will be punished.

I understand that all people may not be a religious zealout, like myself. Therefore, I decided to judge the merits of alliantgroup as they stand before my Lord based purely on the Ten Commandments. I will also grade the commandments, based on the degree to which they are broken at alliantgroup.

GRADE SCALE:

1-10. 1 meaning a commandment is followed. 10 meaning part of the mission statement runs contrary to the particular commandment.

Cons

1) You shall have no other gods before Me.

This one, I am not sure if they break or simply misinterpret. The CEO probably believes that this commandment was written by him (or at least written by a project associate somewhere in one of his project summary reports) and therefore is discussing himself. Yes, there are no other gods at alliantgroup other than the CEO. Grade: Incomplete.

2) You shall not make idols.

Once again, pretty tough to determine. I had seen an email in some report discussing some inappropriate things and discussing the CEOs private areas. I found that to be inappropriate about the "Lord of Alliantgroup". Grade: 3/10.

3) You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.

The people of alliantgroup use the phrase "G-d d*mn craigggggg" so often it hurts. I was constantly hurt by the fact that my name was not craig (did they know my name), but was glad because I know my Lord may strike them down, and I didn't want my actual names in the transcript when he learned of these atrocities. Grade 5/10.

4) Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Whether you are Jewish, Christian, Mormon, or any other religion, the sabbath will always come second to your "billable" hours. You have two choices, you can either claim billable hours throughout the week that you did not work, OR you can work on the Sabbath to meet the billable hour standards. You are forced to break either commandment 4 or commandment 8 or 9. Since they will give you the choice on which commandment to break, I will judge this one with a grain of salt. Grade 4/10

5) Honor your father and your mother.

CEO and COO are shown great honor by their plebes. Grade: 1/10. They follow this commandment.

6) You shall not murder.

There were no murders committed at alliantgroup. I did see at least 200 people fired. I felt that necessary to mention because thats the business form of murder. Grade 1/10.

7) You shall not commit adultery.

This is my favorite one. One of the "perks" of becoming a "craig" or upper management is that as a gift upon your promotion, you are given (similar to a dowry) your very own CRA to commit adultery with. You get to choose this one on your own, however. You can choose a relationship director, but be careful not to step on any toes when doing so! Best part is, while your wife is in a suburb tucking your children in and reading them a bedtime story, you get to be drinking (sin!) gambling (sin!) and dancing (sin!) with a cute young thing in Las Vegas (sin!). Even the good family men will fall victim to these fresh college graduates, as if these women are Sirens from the Illiad, luring them away from Clear Lake and Katy, and into the arms of young, recent college graduates in Las Vegas. Since both of the founders (that still work there) are unmarried and are therefore unable to commit adultery, this grade is lessened. 8.5/10.

8) You shall not steal.

10!!!!! Sorry, I am supposed to wait until the end to give out my grades. Which part of their stealing is the worst? These people steal from the government (by claiming false R&D credits), they steal from their clients (by claiming billable hours that were not worked) and they steal from each other (by taking credit for each others work, as well as by forcing people to work unbillable hours after the "cap" is hit.) As a gift to the people of alliantgroup, I have rewritten their mission statement for them since I felt "Helping small to mid-sized businesses" wasn't exactly accurate. I feel as if "We get 35%, you get a 12 page PSR!" is a much more appropriate mission statement. Feel free to use that, I will claim no ownership over it. You can have it. For once, you won't be stealing something.
    Grade- 10/10. Wish I could go higher, but I respect the rating scale too much.

9) You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

Does testifying (before God and our courts) that these companies ACTUALLY qualify for R&D credits count as bearing false witness? Yes. Does telling every employee "we see a ton of potential in you, that's why we are [insert punishment here] in order to get them to do whatever you want count as bearing false witness? Yes. Does making fake glass door reviews and posting them trying to lure people into your cult count as bearing false witness? Yes. I have seen enough. Everything here is a lie before our Lord. Grade 10/10.

10) You shall not covet.

We are all forced to break this one. When you look at your most recent bank statement to see you are behind on your home payment, and then see the CEO drive up in a 900K Porche at 3 in the afternoon, yeah, you're gonna covet his life. The man is the definition of gluttony. He eats, drinks soda-pop (sin!) and tells dirty jokes during his entire work day. 3:00PM-6:00PM. He does send his occasional 2:45AM email so we plebes think he is working late. Grade 9/10.

Advice to Management

God is watching.

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee." Ezekial Elliot 25:17.

"The Absolute Worst"

Former Employee - Associate Director in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Irvine, CA

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Frequent free lunch. Biggest pro was getting a new job and leaving allliantgroup.

Cons

-Unbearable work hours and working conditions.
    -Rampant employment practice violations, hostile work environment, sexual harrassment.
    -Questionable (if not illegal) business practices (overbilling clients, etc)

Took the job because I needed it. Worked there for over a year. After I left, I was diagnosed by a medical professional with PTSD. The absolute worst professional experience of my life. Be aware that the vast majority of positive reviews on this site are written by current employees who are either being paid or forced to do so. Do not work for this company unless it your last resort.

Advice to Management

Not worth the time to offer any advice. Nothing will change unless or until the lawsuits become too costly.

"GET OUT! RUN! IT'S NOT WORTH IT!"

Former Employee - Associate Director in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch, amazing training, and awesome coworkers

Cons

Read all the bad reviews and the latest expose is the Houstonpress and then add some things that they didn't mention:
    * you will watch your friends and anyone you become close with get tortured, be ostracized, ignored, picked on and you will probably see them cry in the bathroom every day until they quit. More than likely though, they will be fired. In 18 months this happened 8 times and each time it was heart wrenching. None of these people were bad employees and all of them had what it took to be an "a" elite. Most of them just had too much integrity and self worth to lie, cheat and steal.
    *favortism is based on two things - relinquishing your life and soul or letting them sexually objectify you. The CEO throw raves and the elite executives force girls to do sexual sketches. This may seem like I'm exaggerating, but I'm not. You will hear rumors about girls getting text messages from the owner. You won't believe any of it until you see it. When you see it, you will have to decide if a paycheck is worth it.
    *HR does not care about federal labor laws and protecting employees. They don't even care about protecting the company. They are there to make sure the revolving door keeps revolving fresh meat. Constantly.
    *they have been sued many times by former employees and they have sued former employees
    *once you leave, you will never recover fully.
    This place is every employees worst nightmare.
    Consider yourself warned

Advice to Management

Nothing will change them. No advice, no review, no newspaper article, and no lawsuit. They don't believe in anything other than money. What's a God to a non-believer?

"Don't be fooled by glowing reviews - current employees are forced to write them"

Former Employee - MBA Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - MBA Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lunches were OK (not great).
    The lowest level employees are awesome people.

Cons

I don't like reading walls of text so I will spare you and give you some bullet points instead:

-The most revolting company culture I have ever had the unfortunate luck to be around. The cult of personality around the CEO is off-putting. During the Christmas party, he would not let it start until he heard enough toasts to him on stage by his subordinates. This lasted about 20 minutes before the party started.

-This “great pay” for bad work sentiment is a myth for anyone with a business degree. It is not good pay.

-The work/life balance is poor.

-They hire girls based on looks. This is not an exaggeration. I have been in on some of these hiring discussions.

-The actual work is dull, formulaic, and uninspired.

-The billing practices felt unethical at best and illegal at worst. The lowest employees are given the worst “billable” customers and berated in team meetings for not meeting billable goals. Therefore, they knowingly put pressure on you to either falsify billable hours to meet quota OR keep taking the punishment for not hitting billable goals.

-Mandatory lip syncing and costume parties. This is not an exaggeration or metaphor.

-They provide food for lunch every work day and dinner during tax season. Obviously, they don’t want you to leave. This has been mentioned on countless reviews. However, the food was not great. Sometimes they would have a decent national chain come in, but usually it was underwhelming and I would rather walk to the Galleria.

-It is a terrible place to work. If you have other options, I would strongly suggest you take a harder look at them.

Advice to Management

You should work somewhere else. I would be embarrassed if I were in upper management after the Houston Press article came out. See you in an Organizational Behavior Case study in 10 years.

"Cult-like, unprofessional company filled with childish/frat-like mentality and slave labor."

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time

Pros

Free lunches, good parking, nice views

Cons

Literally everything else. Employees are encouraged to lie to companies about how many hours they are putting into their work (putting in 100 hours instead of 10 hours). Management is creepy and cult-like, preaching buzz words to you all day instead of actually training you.

If you want an unrewarding job with impossible to get bonuses, and a cancerous group of colleagues company-wide, go for it. You won't go anywhere - this place is career suicide. Can be an "okay" placeholder job, if you are willing to work unpaid overtime up to 10-20 hours extra a week (Which, by the way, is completely illegal, but they manipulate you into working it for the "good of your team." And AG can get away with it because they are based in California, where overtime laws are different.) Work is repetitive and mind-numbing once you've been there a few months.

Slave-like labor corporation. Stay away.

Advice to Management

Just stop. Burn this place to the ground. There is nothing good here. Just look at the over 200 lawsuits filed against them and the recent sex scandal with the CEO, who I can confirm, is accurately described in the report.

"Terrible Work/Life Balance"

Current Employee - Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Lunch AND Free Dinner - Yes, if a company is offering you free dinner, it means that they expect you to work long into the evening.

Cons

No work/life balance. Extremely high turnover. Too much travel. Bad publicity.

"The Devil Wears Prada"

Current Employee - Associate Director
    Current Employee - Associate Director

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I don't get to wear free designer clothing but during my frequent trips to Houston I cringe while witnessing 20 somethings teetering along in their 4 inch heels (slightly reminiscent of playing dress up in mommy’s closet). Statically speaking this company is made up of over 50% women and the average age of 27. I used to love that I was a part of a company who devoted resources/attention to their female employees. This is not accidental but purely by design to benefit the CEO & clientele. 'A million girls would wish for this job’ (only because they wouldn’t hire a male) & ‘You can have it all’ is pounded into your female brain but will never be uttered to your male counterparts. Why is that!? Work/ Life balance is something that is discussed a lot because the demand for work is unsustainable. How does one have balance when working EASILY 80+ hours a week? The pay is nowhere decent considering the hours worked. Your priority is strictly Work and your Life will be left for balancing. Upper management expects you not to be troubled by your Home Life. That means hiring out your other life duties, such as but not limited to: House manager, Dry cleaning delivery, Grocery delivery, House keeper, Errand person, AM & PM Child(ren) Nannies (as you won’t be home till after 9pm), Dog nanny, Husband nanny (I think that's called a new wife)…..all on a non-competitive salary.

Cons

‘You choose to get ahead' by closely watching your colleagues to see if they are living the alliantgroup culture and if they bleed blue. At first signs of distress you are to run straight to the Senior Management and tell them your findings, which will make them think you are 'bought' into the culture. But really it’s just a simple game of Hot Potato & you don't want to be the one caught holding the information. The relationship by many executives is abusive, name calling, harassing, giving 'context to understanding' and verbal attacks are all too frequent. At an attempt for a quick resolution, AKA so you continue making them money, they will offer employee praise, lack luster bonuses or glorified promotions because they 'invest in you'....which all mean nothing. Ithink I just gave you the definition of 'Narcissistic rage'!! Moving on... I thought I was 'bought' into the culture and it was fun while it lasted. I enjoy being part of the cool club but ultimately the price comes at HUGE cost. I had alienated my family, friends, husband all because I was too invested into my career and that 'I loved my job'. Fake it till you make it, is a repeated mantra by many associates/directors hoping our endless sacrifices will eventually lead to the fruition of less hours, real life promotions and a decent salary.

Advice to Management

Stop having your associates do all your heavy lifting and literally escorting you the bathroom. I don’t think I need to wipe you as well. That's all.