alliantgroup, LP Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 9, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dhaval R. Jadav

Pros
  • Free lunch everyday, compensated well; wellness program (in 32 reviews)

• Free food, long hours so that I cannot have any outside social interaction (in 32 reviews)

Cons

"The Cut Throat Will Succeed"

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are great opportunities for upward mobility due to the turnover. Hourly employees can bank on the over time they work, while salaried employees are often rewarded with sizable bonuses. Contests will also earn you big checks and gift cards. Of course, free lunch, and during tax season, dinner. Facilities are gorgeous and the location is great.

Cons

This company is definitely a great home for a particular personality type. People who are comfortable making work their whole life, who don't mind incredibly long days, and people who love "playing the game" will thrive here. Employees who enjoy work/life balance, who are involved in anything outside of work, and who are not prone to drinking the blue a kool-aide likely won't last.

I found that if I got my work done on time and left at a reasonable hour, I would get chastised for not being a team player, for not staying late, and for being committed.

Teams constantly get restructured due to crazy turnover. By the time I left a year after I started, I had seen my entire training class slowly die off. Not one member of the team that recruited me was there when I left. You'd often ask where a teammate was only to find out they'd been fired, with no real consideration given to how it would affect the rest of the team.

It isn't uncommon to hear girls crying or vomiting in the bathrooms due to stress, and the lack of emotional maturity in the company often led to explosive interactions.

Most of the work I did there seemed redundant and only done to justify upping billing on more lucrative accounts.

Advice to Management

Hire carefully, prepare new team members for success by providing MEANINGFUL training, and spend less time worrying about how many hours your people work, instead focus on the quality of their work.

"Rude people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company provided lunch
    Company pays 100% insurance
    Company Happy Hours & Parties

Cons

Long Hours
    Management is rude
    Turnover rate is extremely HIGH
    They interview at least 25 people a day

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better,communication is key

"Working at alliantgroup"

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health and dental benefits, casual dress code, free lunch daily

Cons

No work life balance, I was working 12-14 hour days, high turn-over. You never knew in advance how late you would be

Advice to Management

If you're going to have employees work 12-14 hour days for two weeks straight, give them 2 weeks where they can leave at 6pm so they can plan to be with their families.

"Mixed Feelings"

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some really nice coworkers, if you are lucky to be assigned to their team. Free food (to make you stay and work more). Some legitimately good learning experiences, should you physically and mentally be able to sustain yourself through long hours.

Cons

Management is very much out of touch with the reality of their own company and do not practice what they preach. High school mentality. No work-life balance, even for a normal desired standard. Employees are shamed if they do not buy into the blue a 'attitude'. Can be extremely disorganized, and unfortunately those who have the power to change it do not want to or are uninterested as it does not seem to immediately affect them.

Advice to Management

Clean house, start over.

"An in depth look at a day-to-day - Great Company but please make sure you know what you’ll actually be doing..."

Former Employee - Project Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Get to work with extremely intelligent and motivated people
    -Beautiful building - makes you feel proud
    -Amazing views
    -Great benefits
    -Pay is pretty good - especially for entry level
    -Like everyone else says, lunch is great and included every single day. All three meals are served during tax season
    -Young crowd. Average age seems to be late 20’s - Awesome if your post university
    -Lots of room to growth in the company
    -If you are a Project Associate you get paid overtime
    -Lots of training provided
    -Convenient parking garage connected to the building
    -Company gym
    -Fun little parties with food and and drinks every once in a while

Be aware these pros and cons vary depending on the department in which you are involved. I am speaking specifically from the implementation side of the company. Before I left the company I did a lot of deeper networking within the company. I spoke with people across multiple teams, departments, existing employees, and employees that had left or that were terminated before they could leave. The places in the company where people seem happiest and where moral seems to be highest is in Human Resources and Customer Relations. Unfortunately, there seemed to be a disconnect between departments. They did not seem to fully grasp what our day-to-day looked like making it difficult to relate and rationalize expectations at times.

Cons

-The company is growing so fast things can get unclear - such as your duties and the workflow process
    -Repetitive template work
    -Not much opportunity to do deeper networking
    -Loss of moral as employee turn-over rate increases
    -Work hours are intense - I’m okay with that but the work can be draining
    -Seems to be a disconnect between some departments - do not seem to understand the others
    -Extremely competitive to the point where it seemed to make people have to be selfish with their careers
    -Heavily graded on your metrics not always on what you are actually doing for the team
    -Training is rushed and takes time out of your day making it difficult at times to meet metric goals and other milestones
    -Felt as if a real lunch break was looked down upon. Lunch is usually taken at your desk to continue working (I only took an hour lunch break once a month. My lunch breaks usually were 15 minutes long)

This review is a bit long but I really want to provide some in-depth information I wish I would have had when I was presented to alliantgroup, LP (I hope this helps).

-My Short Story:
    Felt very delayed in my growth because I was not given training until a month into my career, no matter how hard I pushed to get into classes.

It is an odd thing but even though we were working hard and getting stuff done, it did not feel as if most of us felt as if we really knew what we were doing… or at least what we were doing in the grand scheme of things. What impact were we really making? Nonetheless, things start to clear up after about a month so keep your head up. However, you must be extremely proactive and push hard to gain an understanding.

After seeing so much turnover, it started to feel as if the people around me and even myself were replaceable to the company. In my first couple months three people from my team alone had either left or were terminated because they wanted to leave. I had friends in other departments that I would stop seeing around and later found out they were no longer with the company. This made me sad. I also did not like how turnover was such a “hush hush” topic. People would talk about it quietly and wondered what happened and some worried if they would be next even though they were such great workers - not to mention amazing individuals.

-Advice To Those Who Are Thinking About Working Here:
    You better be a type A individual or you will not last long here. If you are you will enjoy your time. In the past it was difficult for me to find a work environment with this many type A people like me. I liked this about alliantgroup.

-Know What You Are About To Get Into:
    I had no idea what I was really getting into even though I did lots of research, asking other employees (make sure you ask those that are actually working in the department in which you will be working), and my interviewers. You deal with a really interesting yet grey area in the IRS code - maybe that is why you really do not understand what you will be doing until you are in deep.

If you are interested in tax law and the Internal Revenue Code this will be a great place for you. I enjoy it to a certain degree but even though I told my interviewers who I was and what energized me and what did not, I do not feel as if it was considered or heard.

- A Transparent Description of The General Day-to-Day As a Project Associate:
    The company was and is still going through a major restructuring of their workflow process to adjust for the explosive growth therefore, what you might be doing will always be changing.

I was a Project Associate (PA) and was pushing hard to become an Associate (PM) and was getting close to reaching my goal of becoming a PM but just did not see myself at alliantgroup anymore. I found myself waiting for the day to end. That is not who I am and I want to enjoy my career. I do not want my career to start to feel like a job.

If you are just getting out of university here is the university way of describing what you will be doing (these are not complaints. I was happy to do what needed to be done but you need to know what you will be doing.

Every morning printing and color coding milestones and status updates for your Project Manager (an Associate), writing massive papers (however you have less flexibility or input into what you are writing since you must follow meticulous templates). You have to do a ton of digging through a bunch of files to try and find all of the information needed, which can take a massive amount of time. People were getting better at organizing this information and I took time out of my day to help organize files but, it was painful having to dig through other peoples files to try and write / “copy and paste” all of the notes and documentation into these reports.

You will then need to take your papers to get “graded”. You will get your reports back with red ink, make the changes, and repeat until its good enough to take to the next “grader”. That will be your main task especially if you decide to go the Associate / PM route. If you go the Senior Project Associate route you will continue honing your skills on the more administrative tasks, such as setting up and managing Project Manager and or Team Director calendars, scheduling meetings, and drafting and sometimes sending emails for them. As a PA you will be involved in both areas mentioned. Again you will be able to chose your path. Doing all of these PA tasks really helps you learn the system of how things work at a micro level.

Other activities include sitting in on calls with your PM(s) and taking notes on the conversations. You must make sure they are well written and well organized so that either you or your coworkers can write all the documentation later. (In the new workflow we are trying to write the documentation as we go so things are fresh and more time effective. However, this is not always realistic and you will have many tasks to juggle. This does keep things interesting).

You will also prepare the agendas for all of the calls. Which means again, digging through a bunch of information that your PM pretty much knows of the top of his or her head and try and figure out the best way to fill out your template.

You must also get really good at billing your time. You MUST keep track of what you do every second so you can bill it. If you do not, your metrics will drop and your advancement and overall reputation can quickly drop.

You will attend training (typical education system / socrative style classes). You will have homework and have to take tests. This can make things stressful as it can make it difficult to keep up with your billing hours. If you are a PA you must meet or exceed the billing amount of hours with the amount of time you spent in the office (you clock in and clock out).
    For example, you will always work overtime so at least 10 hours a day, meaning you have to bill at a minimum of 10 hours to a client or clients. If not you will get emails from those watching your metrics. The training sessions are rushed and take one to one and a half hours. So be sure to find a lot to do to make up for that lost time. This makes it difficult to apply your full attention to class. However, you will get the hang of this process after about three weeks to a month if you work hard.

If you are an Associate, your work will be similar. You will have an added pressure on your metrics. You will still be writing the documentation discussed above however, you will also be grading others work now and be graded on how well you graded the work. You will be making calls now - which can be pretty cool however can feel rushed.I love to talk with people and really get to know them but you need to be effective with your time and extract the necessary information efficiently. You will no longer have to do the more micro tasks that a PA does and work more on speaking with clients and conducting calculations using excel.

If you do not mind this kind of work and environment you will be a great fit.

To this day I am still excited by the tax credit we work with and what it can do for an organization. Even though I no longer work at AG I still tell people about the credit and tell them about alliantgroup because I have seen how the treat their customers…they treat them very well.

Advice to Management

I learned a lot even through the difficult times. I have you all to thank for that. I respect the fact that you all are exploding with growth and that is wonderful however, do not let growth distract you from quality. The way you treat your customers is great from what I saw. I believe there must be a way to treat your employees the same way. You invest in education yes but, throw some love in the mix beyond some of the superficial stuff...

"No Work-Life Balance"

Former Employee - Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They will compensate you handsomely! Catered lunch every single day. State of the art facility and free covered parking.

Cons

Your compensation will come at the sacrifice of your home life and family. They expect you there from sun up to 8 or 9 pm on a regular day. During high season you might not leave until 10 or midnight. If you are lucky enough to go home you only open your laptop back up to complete your work once you're there. The catered lunch is a ploy so that you do not actually take time for yourself and leave the building for lunch. The facility is state of the art, however, it will feel like an asylum that you cannot escape after a while. Plus they forgot to buy enough chairs for all of their employees so do not be surprised if you find yourself sitting on a desk or the floor.

Advice to Management

Learn to accept that every one does not want to drink the Kool-aid!

"CAUTION! Don't believe the positive reviews."

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time

Pros

Free lunches, good benefits. A good stepping stone for new graduates looking to start a career.

Cons

I was holding back in sending my review on my experience with this company. After reading the positive reviews, I can not keep the silence. Candidates beware! Upper Management is all about favoritism. I have seen this time and time again. Most of the consultants promoted to a lead role in implementation lack managerial skills. These are the individuals you would be reporting before you reach Upper Management (Sr. Managing Director and Sr. Director) levels. If you are lucky and get assigned to a group (in implementation) lead by a decent sr. consultant, then your experience at alliantgroup will be a decent one. The only problem is there are so few of them! Your success will be in reflection to the quality of training you receive. So hope that you are with a group with a good lead/mentor type individual. They continue to hire candidates that have just graduated lacking practical business and lead experience because they are the most moldable. They grow their management organically. They can't hire experienced lead consultants because they do not want to work here. I have tried to help out the Talent Acquisition team with referrals but have not been successful to find anyone that wants to work here. alliantgroup does not have the best reputation.

The hours are ridiculous. I can see why they do hire people right out of school. They are young and can handle the hard core hours needed during the training period and tax seasons.

Advice to Management

There is no point in providing advice to these individuals. They will not listen. They will continue to have human capital growth problems due to their toxic culture environment.

"Dreams Really Do Come True: High School Pt. 2"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some really great people here - smart, personable, funny - just awesome people to work with. I've made some great friends here - I'm sure bonding over misery may have had something to do with it. The lunch catering really helps cut down on my grocery bill.

Cons

The pay is a joke. They under pay you, work you to death, when you become unhappy (or fall out of favor - whichever comes first) crap on you until you leave, then hate you for leaving - 'tis the cycle of alliantgroup. This is a VERY political work environment - the most so in Implementation. If you aren't in the higher ups office every other day telling them how great and wonderful they are good luck making any kind of move up in the company. Be sure to listen for buzzwords such as 'escalate' 'bubble up' and 'calendar management' while you drink the kool-aid with a forced smile on your face. Oh and don't forget to hit 'reply-all' on company wide emails because they watch that too. When they send Work Anniversary emails, the funny thing is there are a ton of one year anniversaries and hardly any anniversaries higher than that... I wonder why. I've been here around 6 months - it only took me a few weeks to figure out that this place was not somewhere I wanted to work and I am now looking at other jobs.

Advice to Management

Employees have lives outside of alliantgroup. I think the company would be better served trying to foster that and ensuring that employees lead balanced lives. The rate of burnout here is extremely high because you can't keep people at this company and their work falls on the others left. I work far too many hours for far too little pay - also not matching 401ks at all is a joke. How about we stop putting fresh flowers in the lobby and put the money towards something your employees actually benefit from.

"Where to begin"

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can wear comfy clothes and they cater lunch every day - but that's because they don't want you to leave. You will maybe meet some really nice coworkers. You will learn a lot.

Cons

Alright..... well........ this place is disorganized from the top and it trickles down. I worked there for 2 years and was never offered a raise. Didn't know it was standard for people to get one after a year, and by the time I did, I was looking for new jobs anyway and didn't want the hassle. They do not want you to have a life outside of work. They want you to drink the kool-aid with a forced smile. They want you to work 10-12 hours every day, and they don't care if it is a detriment to your health, family, or life in general. People will ask everything of you and will not give you the tools to get it done timely or perfectly. There is a disgusting amount of favoritism and a high school/frat atmosphere at times. The way people talk is abhorrent. It's like you can't go 2 sentences without dropping a much unneeded F bomb somewhere. The priorities are out of line. There is no punishment for reviews coming in late, so the Quality Control department suffers tremendously when Implementation is out of sync, which in my 2 year run was almost always. Alcohol is encouraged and force fed it seems to try and enchant employees into thinking the work culture and environment is a fun place. People will talk down to you and step all over you to make sure they get what they want. There were far too many days in which I went to the bathroom to cry just because of the people, the stress, and the unrealistic work expected. Didn't think that would ever happen. Didn't think I'd ever contemplate suicide either but, when you don't see another way out and your life is spiraling downward, I guess that happens too. Bottom line: Do not apply here. Do not interview here. Do not work here.

Advice to Management

Get your heads out of the clouds - learn about your company instead of the generic management. Your employees are unhappy. Mentally, physically, emotionally unhappy. Understand that work is PART of life, and should not BE YOUR LIFE. You have turned this company into a disorganized cult.

"HIGH TURNOVER!"

Current Employee - Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-pay is decent, but considering the hours, it's not worth it
    -nice building

Cons

-REALLLYYY catty environment amongst the women
    -travel is presented as 30-50% but it's more like 70%
    -it's ALWAYS someone's first/last day everyday.
    -associate is a fancy title for "administrative assistant who are scape goats"

Advice to Management

This is not normal and masking negative reviews by having internal employees post "raving reviews" is obvious.