alliantgroup, LP Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dhaval R. Jadav

Pros
  • Free food, long hours so that I cannot have any outside social interaction (in 32 reviews)

• Free lunch everyday, compensated well; wellness program (in 32 reviews)

Cons

"Working at Alliant Group was awful."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

they provided lunch to the staff everyday

Cons

Management was awful and I quit without another job to go to. To the best of my knowledge so did basically everyone else that started at the same time I did which was approximately 10 people.

Advice to Management

Grow up and get a life and quit playing silly games with the company and the employees. Worst working experience of my life.

"Senior Associate"

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really its very difficult to assume that the company has pros with respect to their employees. The pro here is that this company is making money and work will be there.

Cons

If you cherish family, social life, and time away from work then this job will rip this away from you. Your life becomes your work here. Most employees they hire are at the bottom and are entry level but even more senior individuals are worked to death. People develop irregular sleep patterns, and are prone to develop drinking and smoking habits to relieve from the stress, especial during there main tax seasons (Feb-March) (Aug Sept) but in reality the stress is year round. The company attempts to provide a fraternity like culture where pledges are turned into embarrassing examples. Where proving yourself competent is always required in the sense that you'll be humiliated otherwise amongst your peers and amongst the entire company through mass emailing. Those who stay quiet and try and stay out of this culture and quickly eliminated by discouraging their work and finding fault till either they quit or are fired.

I obtained this job because of necessity and the moment I landed a new job I quit without regret. I have almost two years of my life to working here and by far this is the single worst job anyone could ever ask for. Don't be fooled into the seemingly professional atmosphere by the way they are required to dress.

I could never advise anyone to work there and I have told many people currently at the company STUCK that I would help them get out.

Advice to Management

Really there is no hope for management since management exemplifies the fraternity like culture.

"Unless you really need a job, don't work here"

Current Employee - Project Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can make plenty of money and everyone seems to like it for it for the first 6 months

Cons

Work - Life balance is terrible. Plan on working a 100 hours a week.

"Would not recommend"

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on the group you are placed in, this job would not be any worse than working at a Big 4 firm. If you play the game correctly, you can be promoted very quickly. You will learn a lot and the work is interesting. If you graduated with a liberal arts degree, this may be one of the better jobs available. If you like to travel, this is also a plus. I was out of the office 40% of the time.

Cons

Best case scenario, you work 100+ hours during tax season and 80 rest of the year. The downside is alliantgroup is not looked at in a favorable light by most accounting firms. Part of this is due to lack of recognition (due to size) and part of this is alliantgroup has been involved in numerous lawsuits and disputes with reputable accounting firms. alliantgroup tries to emulate the Big 4 accounting firm practice of bringing in a ton of people and weeding them out. Unfortunately there are not companies lined up to hire those people afterwords like with the Big 4 firms. Once you leave this company (I promise you will dream of this day as soon as you hit 6 months) don't expect for other employers to value the experience you received at alliantgroup.

There is also a strict hierarchy here. If you are hired as a project associate, be prepared to be talked to by the directors and associates. Double if you are hired on as Admin position. alliantgroup started a group for client relation experts while I was working there. This group is the worst. They have direct access to the owner of the company and their role is basically to act as informants within the company. They don't understand the tax credits are calculated but are higher on the food chain then associates and project associates. Management is very young and unprofessional. Be prepared for a lot of gossip and backstabbing. Part of this is also not management’s fault, since they are also project managers for a large number of projects and have not had a life outside of work for years.

If you cannot find any other job elsewhere is the only reason I would consider taking a position at this company.

Advice to Management

Hire people to actually manage. Get rid of the client relation experts.

"Continuous high turnover tells the story"

Pros

If you prefer fair compensation in terms of sweets, $5 lunch credits, and occasional pizza dinners, then this place is for you.

Cons

If you prefer fair compensation, then this place is certainly not for you. This is a high volume, high stress, and low incentive environment.

Advice to Management

Management very intelligently uses entry-level people for cheap in-sourcing. Honestly, pressing young, inexperienced (but relatively intelligent) people to the max on the (relatively) cheap is a good business model, given the constant value the project associates and managers can be used for billing despite the high turnover.

"You'll be looking for a new job within 6 months"

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunches during tax season
    Alcohol

Cons

Turnover is very high. If you're not part of the "in" crowd or enjoying the "company" of management you won't be moving up the corporate ladder. Salary sucks for the amount of hours you work. No real room for career advancement. Senior management makes a ton of money but doesn't pay out to those actually doing the work

Advice to Management

Bump pay for everyone and quit lining your own pockets. Maybe get some actual hierarchy in the company and have quarterly reviews with employees so they can figure out how they are actually doing throughout the year.

"alliantgroup is a frat house!! All Previous Favorable Reviews Were Internal Propaganda!!"

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

$5 lunch credit to the cafeteria
    Free pop from the vending machine
    Dinner catered in so that you have to/must work late
    Monthly birthday cake parties
    Training new people, because it's a turnstile, most every new employee catches on 6 month into the job.

Cons

The expectation to work ridiculous hours per week. There is no work life balance!

"Work hard play hard", for who, not me and my group! Management plays hard, playing on their Xbox while we are working late hours!

You start off working 50 hours per week. Gradually, that gets accelerated to minimum 12 hour days with 6 day work weeks. You might even be given a guilt trip to work Sundays.

You will be expected to communicate all the time while you are on vacation or even during religious holidays!

Your pay will be below average. Good luck with any pay raises or reviews.

Bonuses are discretionary and if you are fortunate to get one, it might be paid to you in pennies.

Ever saw Animal House? This place is a close second. Jeans and a polo shirt is the dress code.

Completely classless company considering the industry. Their reputation speaks volumes about them. Just search the company and lawsuits, there are many!

Have this job on your resume will not help your career.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to stop driving their high end cars, step away from their big screen TVs in their offices, stop the games and ridicule! Get in the office the same business hours you expect from your employees!!!

"Fake Reviews"

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time

Pros

Pay is ok, but for the amount of work you do and the hours you put in, it isn't as great as it seems

Cons

The 5 star reviews posted here are written and posted by management. Any company that goes to such great lengths to suppress real reviews is probably not a good place to work.

They are extremely unethical with regards to billing practices. They also treat their employees very poorly, often publicly humiliating and berating them. I know the job market is bad, but just keep looking. Don't settle for Alliantgroup

"Approach with caution"

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time

Pros

There are lots of young people there which made for a lively albeit counterproductive environment. I suppose there were other good things like free food, frequent office celebrations, and flexible policies for favored employees.

Cons

Management's public humilitation of employees
    Questionable billing practices
    Constant quitting, firing, and hiring
    Extreme work hours, typically 70+ hrs a week
    Poor work quality

There were other things too. People running out of the building crying became pretty typical by the time I left. They also had a knack for firing people on their birthdays.

I left because I wanted a stable work environment without the constant pressure to bill, bill, bill especially since I didn't agree with their methods. I also felt that the company lacked structure. Its a young company so it may have still been trying to get its footing. Either way, I couldn't wait to get out. Dropping that company was like losing 20 pounds of stress and negativity. I'm much happier in my new company.

Also, be leery of all the cheery, overly positive reviews. The "marketing department" always seemed to have alot of time on their hands. The people I know that still work there say nothing has changed and may even be worse.

Advice to Management

Hire real business experts to run the company. Having a law degree does not automatically make you a businessman.

"Unprofessional, political and very high turnover - First page of reviews is clearly the company."

Former Employee - Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are right out of college, you will make decent money for having no experience. Good parties with open bar.

Cons

However, the hours you will work and stuff you will have to put up with makes no amount of money worth it and you will be underpaid for your worth. "Tax Season" is year-round because turnover is so high. Everyone in management is out for their own and this company has the most deluded ideas and abuses group think. You are not a person here, you are a working monkey and if you let them walk all over you with the long hours and extreme study loads, they will. You will be told we want you to leave at 6:30pm each day - but then given unreasonable work loads that require long nights and weekend working. There is a reason no one has a family in this company. Don't be fooled by the quick promotions - management is benefiting from promoting quickly and getting bonuses - told to promote quickly. People aren't prepared to be promoted but are in order to keep them around - then they quit anyways because they are overwhelmed with the work load and responsibilities of a promotion. Speaking of bonuses - billing is the only thing rewarded here. Not hard work - how much money can you bill to your clients. Bonuses are hard to get when you are new because uppers push non-billable work down. People will bill 100+ hours to billable files during "billing contests" - contest set to bring in revenue at the end of quarter etc. If you are an attorney - billing this way will be a problem for you.

Advice to Management

I don't think there is anything that can be done to improve this place. Management will never listen. People leaving all the time is not enough. My only advice is to get rid of recruiting. They are awful. Also stop hiring "talent". Hire people that need money and will work for it no matter the dirty feeling you get by being apart of this company. Also hire people that don't have experience and won't leave for better opportunities - because they don't know better. Start letting people expense their alcohol bills - it is the only way people can survive this job.