alliantgroup, LP Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

alliantgroup, LP Reviews

Updated March 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Free food, long hours so that I cannot have any outside social interaction (in 32 reviews)

• Health and dental benefits, casual dress code, free lunch daily (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • I have no problem with the work hours, but I can see how people with children might have a hard time having a work life balance (in 40 reviews)

• Consistent long hours year round (in 47 reviews)

"Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food, long hours so that I cannot have any outside social interaction!

Compensated for posting 5* reviews on this site!

Cons

Frat house mentality
    Cut throat (everyone throws anybody and everybody under the bus to succeed)
    LONG HOURS
    Snitched on when you leave early
    What work/life balance. It's work, work and more work. Oh wait, don't forget to max out all the hours on the project. Seriously, I had one staff charge 120 hours in a week!!!!

"The Cut Throat Will Succeed"

Former Employee - Project Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are great opportunities for upward mobility due to the turnover. Hourly employees can bank on the over time they work, while salaried employees are often rewarded with sizable bonuses. Contests will also earn you big checks and gift cards. Of course, free lunch, and during tax season, dinner. Facilities are gorgeous and the location is great.

Cons

This company is definitely a great home for a particular personality type. People who are comfortable making work their whole life, who don't mind incredibly long days, and people who love "playing the game" will thrive here. Employees who enjoy work/life balance, who are involved in anything outside of work, and who are not prone to drinking the blue a kool-aide likely won't last.

I found that if I got my work done on time and left at a reasonable hour, I would get chastised for not being a team player, for not staying late, and for being committed.

Teams constantly get restructured due to crazy turnover. By the time I left a year after I started, I had seen my entire training class slowly die off. Not one member of the team that recruited me was there when I left. You'd often ask where a teammate was only to find out they'd been fired, with no real consideration given to how it would affect the rest of the team.

It isn't uncommon to hear girls crying or vomiting in the bathrooms due to stress, and the lack of emotional maturity in the company often led to explosive interactions.

Most of the work I did there seemed redundant and only done to justify upping billing on more lucrative accounts.

Advice to Management

Hire carefully, prepare new team members for success by providing MEANINGFUL training, and spend less time worrying about how many hours your people work, instead focus on the quality of their work.

"Energy Modeler, worst job in Houston!"

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time

Pros

Nice building. Good location.

Cons

Where to begin. They hire people with engineering degrees for this position, but you sure aren't treated like an engineer. You are treated without respect, you will be working 50+ hours a week without overtime pay. The work is so bland, and repetitive and not technical at all. You will hate yourself doing this job if you are an engineer. True energy modeling is actually technical and very rewarding, but not here. The director is a civil engineer graduate from Texas A&M, you would think he would lead the charge and really give direction to his employees, but he doesn't take the time to talk to his employees. In a meeting with him once, he forgot my name and job function, mind you this is the same person who interviewed me. How are people suppose to get promoted if he doesn't know his employees and their work? This is just the case here. No energy modeler gets promoted, that's what causes the really high turnover rate. I have literally seen 8 people leave here recently. Promotions aren't based on your work, which is another why no one gets promoted. There is a terrible work environment, not professional at all and not good for someone's first job. So if you're an engineer and are looking for a rewarding career, please look past this place. Don't be fooled by the positive reviews here. Upper Management is required to write them. And don't be fooled when they say, one of the best places to work in the Houston Buisness Journal, this isn't true, just look at the big donors to the HBJ.

"Associate Director"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have recently joined alliantgroup just under a year ago and I am so happy I did. I read all the pros and cons and did my own research and I am so glad I did! Everything I want from an employer and in a new job I have found here. I am able to watch my co-workers celebrate their success and they celebrate mine. We are changing the world with what we are doing for our clients in keeping jobs here in the U.S. and the fact that we are able to help CEO's uncover the cash refunds they are eligible for is all the more rewarding. If you have been successful in your career and you want to work for the company that will reward you for your hard work when you want to work here with us.

Cons

The company is growing at such a rapid pace we need more top performers. If you do not want to have your work reviewed or be part of an elite group then don't come here. Some people come here and think they are going to change us and then they don't work out so that sometimes puts pressure on the others so know what you want in your career and be honest with the person you are meeting with in what you are looking for.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!!! I love it!!!!!!

"great transition to a new industry"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started here in an entry level Professional Engineering position after transitioning from a different industry. I was a bit nervous at first because it was so new for me. But, there was a lot of opportunity for growth because my group was new so I took advantage of it. My earning potential and bonus plan is great and above what my friends in my engineering program in college have available to them. Sometimes the work can be repetitive, but oftentimes I do get to work on buildings that are very innovative and featured in industry journals and publications so that is pretty interesting and makes it well worth it. Makes for good conversation with other engineers while on the road. The benefits work out really great for me. Health insurance is covered 100% and they recently started matching 401k contributions so I started participating in the plan this year. Management has an open door policy which is good and my manager isn't opposed to getting in the trenches and getting his hands dirty when the work gets tough, and I appreciate that a lot. I can actually say this about all of management really. All the way up to the top, which is really awesome. You don't find that at a lot of places nowadays.

Cons

Managing my workload with the tools that I have available can be difficult sometimes. For a mature company we should have better project tracking and assignment systems. One day I could have two projects on my plate and the next day I could have 20. It is very hard to plan with swings in workload like this. There has to be a better way. I know the company is making significant investments in this area, so I am hopeful for what is to come. Fingers crossed.

Advice to Management

Overall I like the direction management has taken the company since I have been here. We have grown significantly and so has the opportunities for myself as well as my compensation and benefits. As I mentioned previously, invest in better tools to manage the workload. I think that is the biggest challenge facing employees right now. I see this is starting to happen, but more public updates on this would be helpful to those of us who are out of the office often.

"Rude people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company provided lunch
    Company pays 100% insurance
    Company Happy Hours & Parties

Cons

Long Hours
    Management is rude
    Turnover rate is extremely HIGH
    They interview at least 25 people a day

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better,communication is key

"Challinging but full of opportunities"

Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of things to like about this place but the thing I enjoy the most is the endless opportunity that is available here. The work is incredibly difficult and challenging but there is so much opportunity for a young professional like myself to learn, grow, manage, lead, try new things, move to different departments, etc.

I've worked at several places prior to joining alliantgroup and they didn't afford people these types of opportunities. There is nothing worse than being bored and being caged into a specific role/responsibility in your career.

Cons

The work itself can be very difficult and challenging. Also in consulting, you have to be available when your clients need you which means you have to be flexible with your time.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your top performers and rising stars.

"Best company in the world"

Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I can absolutely tell you that there is no company in the world that invests in their people AND recognizes performance and merit like alliantgroup. I have got more from alliantgroup than I can ever give back. If you are focused on building your career and helping grow jobs in America, if given the opportunity, get started at alliantgroup immediately! You will love the culture, the fun, the learning and the joy in knowing how much value you are adding. I wish I had come here a lot sooner!!!

Cons

None noted - we invest in our people more than any other company and if you are not career focused then alliantgroup is not for you. As stated above, alliantgroup has given me a lot more than I have given it.

Advice to Management

Great job Dhaval and management. Please keep investing and congrats again for being one of the best companies in the USA to work for!

"Opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

alliantgroup is filled with floors of ambitious, driven individuals that push you to be better every single day. The leaders here care and they want you to achieve all of your dreams. I started working at alliantgroup because a few of my friends worked here and had tons of opportunities.

If you want to be part of a movement, want to change your life, achieve your dreams...if you want opportunities, to meet some of the most talented individuals, then this is the place for you. A note to the entitled: Success doesn't come to those that work 9-5. It's not a handout...you have to earn it.

I love the culture and environment. I'm surrounded by people like me that want to work hard and be challenged.

Other pros: free lunches, free parking, free health insurance, 401k match, competitive salaries, no hierarchy / access to leaders, gym and free classes, wellness director, travel, beautiful office

Cons

Galleria area is a traffic nightmare

Advice to Management

All I have for the management team is gratitude.

"179D - Energy Modeler - New, different experience..."

Current Employee - Energy Modeler in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Energy Modeler in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pros -
    Work Hard, Play Hard culture - We have multiple financial incentives which is unheard of from any of my former employers. Half days, leave early, and many company team outings, we have a gym and a wellness program that is available to everyone, not to mention catered lunches every day. We are a tight knit community and basically a family. We go play volleyball, have dinner, watch movies, etc. Another core identity in our company is our people. We work hard and have fun doing it !

Opportunities like no other- the AEC (architectural, engineering, construction) industry has been suffering for the last couple of years. Now with this role there is an opportunity for professionals with this background to succeed and help the industry succeed as well.
    On top of that, in ag you are not doing repetitive, monotonous tasks, and looking over countless redlined drawings like in traditional AEC jobs. In ag every day i am challenged, pushed, and am given countless opportunities to become a better professional. If you are like me and are a go-getter, you have that ‘it’ factor, then please come to ag and help us grow !!

Career growth like no other - Here in ag, with a technical background, I along with everyone have the same opportunity to become a director and lead a team. In traditional AEC firms one would have to wait for someone to retire, be there minimum 5 years, and pass several exams. We are not a time and tenured firm, in ag it's up to you. Don't let someone else’s bad experience hinder or give you a preconceived notion. Bad reviews are a result of certain individuals who don't have enough grit and perseverance to listen to feedback and apply it for themselves to thrive in the company.

Experience it for yourself - 179D has grown from 12 people in 2012 to now 150+. That gives you a snippet of our expansion. We are the in the epicenter of our industry and we are not stopping our growth, don't miss out on this opportunity and experience it for yourself.

Cons

Cons -
    Rapid growth -We are growing exponentially and to new heights, so certain things need to change for the demand of our clients and additional clients. These are good problems, when growing at a 100 mph there will be mistakes in every level of a company. There are deficiencies from our process, training, to even management, but the good thing about this company is if you bring it up and it has merit, you can actually be part of the solution.

Long hours - There are long hours when needed, one of our core identities is giving premiere client service. This is the root cause of our success. We have to be up and running for our clients on the east, central, and west coast time zone, so our hours are from 8:30 am to 6:30 pm. However If you are done or ahead with your work we encourage everyone to head out and enjoy their time off. If you're looking for a 9-5 job, don’t take this, it's a career. We need people who are looking for a place to invest their passion and in return the company will invest in them. It’s a two way street.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open to feedback from every employee and apply it when it has merit. Have more cross-department meetings and interactions within the company. As we keep growing make sure we are promoting the right leaders that will have the best successful impact for our company and clients.