alliantgroup, LP Reviews | Glassdoor

alliantgroup, LP Reviews

Updated June 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Free lunch everyday, compensated well; wellness program (in 38 reviews)

• Free food, long hours so that I cannot have any outside social interaction (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Can't think of any con's - some folks think that there is no work/life balance (in 47 reviews)

• absolutely no work life balance (in 24 reviews)

"difficult but well worth it"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

grew more here in 2 years than in 5 years at my previous job; free breakfast, lunch and dinner; free gym; free yoga, circuit training, pilates lasses; free health assessments; outsized bonuses; can make more $ here than anywhere else; chance to meet former and current governors, senators and congressmen and know them on a first name basis; help us businesses grow; given a lot of responsibility from the start

Cons

you will work 50 hours a week; will challenge your brain more than you thought possible

Advice to Management

need more experienced managers

"I am enjoying myself"

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been at alliantgroup for almost two months. I'm very happy with my career and the decision to come here. My last job made me depressed on Sunday afternoons, I had no upward mobility no matter how hard I worked and my colleagues didn't pull their weight. Here, everyone has upward mobility, there is so much fun work to do that the day goes by very quickly and there is very little red tape that gets in between having a new idea and bringing that new idea to life. I am really enjoying myself and I'm having a lot of fun with my team. They are good people. Every day is different and I'm constantly learning about new industries.

Also, the free lunches are making a difference in my health. I've got a simple palate and I used to eat most of my meals from the microwave. alliantgroup's meals are much more balanced than what I've been feeding myself for the past few years! I don't think I've ever eaten so many vegetables in my life.

I have not seen any of the silly stuff some of these reviews talk about.

Cons

This is a very young workforce and a small handful of people lack basic social skills.

Advice to Management

I think you guys know that to take the company to the next level, you're going to have to hire some more senior people than you've been hiring for the past 15 years. Continue to bring in experienced hires -- people who have proven themselves at other places -- who can bring their skill sets and knowledge to alliantgroup and help drive the company to the next level.

"The Cut Throat Will Succeed"

Former Employee - Project Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are great opportunities for upward mobility due to the turnover. Hourly employees can bank on the over time they work, while salaried employees are often rewarded with sizable bonuses. Contests will also earn you big checks and gift cards. Of course, free lunch, and during tax season, dinner. Facilities are gorgeous and the location is great.

Cons

This company is definitely a great home for a particular personality type. People who are comfortable making work their whole life, who don't mind incredibly long days, and people who love "playing the game" will thrive here. Employees who enjoy work/life balance, who are involved in anything outside of work, and who are not prone to drinking the blue a kool-aide likely won't last.

I found that if I got my work done on time and left at a reasonable hour, I would get chastised for not being a team player, for not staying late, and for being committed.

Teams constantly get restructured due to crazy turnover. By the time I left a year after I started, I had seen my entire training class slowly die off. Not one member of the team that recruited me was there when I left. You'd often ask where a teammate was only to find out they'd been fired, with no real consideration given to how it would affect the rest of the team.

It isn't uncommon to hear girls crying or vomiting in the bathrooms due to stress, and the lack of emotional maturity in the company often led to explosive interactions.

Most of the work I did there seemed redundant and only done to justify upping billing on more lucrative accounts.

Advice to Management

Hire carefully, prepare new team members for success by providing MEANINGFUL training, and spend less time worrying about how many hours your people work, instead focus on the quality of their work.

"179D - Energy Modeler - New, different experience..."

Current Employee - Energy Modeler in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Energy Modeler in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pros -
    Work Hard, Play Hard culture - We have multiple financial incentives which is unheard of from any of my former employers. Half days, leave early, and many company team outings, we have a gym and a wellness program that is available to everyone, not to mention catered lunches every day. We are a tight knit community and basically a family. We go play volleyball, have dinner, watch movies, etc. Another core identity in our company is our people. We work hard and have fun doing it !

Opportunities like no other- the AEC (architectural, engineering, construction) industry has been suffering for the last couple of years. Now with this role there is an opportunity for professionals with this background to succeed and help the industry succeed as well.
    On top of that, in ag you are not doing repetitive, monotonous tasks, and looking over countless redlined drawings like in traditional AEC jobs. In ag every day i am challenged, pushed, and am given countless opportunities to become a better professional. If you are like me and are a go-getter, you have that ‘it’ factor, then please come to ag and help us grow !!

Career growth like no other - Here in ag, with a technical background, I along with everyone have the same opportunity to become a director and lead a team. In traditional AEC firms one would have to wait for someone to retire, be there minimum 5 years, and pass several exams. We are not a time and tenured firm, in ag it's up to you. Don't let someone else’s bad experience hinder or give you a preconceived notion. Bad reviews are a result of certain individuals who don't have enough grit and perseverance to listen to feedback and apply it for themselves to thrive in the company.

Experience it for yourself - 179D has grown from 12 people in 2012 to now 150+. That gives you a snippet of our expansion. We are the in the epicenter of our industry and we are not stopping our growth, don't miss out on this opportunity and experience it for yourself.

Cons

Cons -
    Rapid growth -We are growing exponentially and to new heights, so certain things need to change for the demand of our clients and additional clients. These are good problems, when growing at a 100 mph there will be mistakes in every level of a company. There are deficiencies from our process, training, to even management, but the good thing about this company is if you bring it up and it has merit, you can actually be part of the solution.

Long hours - There are long hours when needed, one of our core identities is giving premiere client service. This is the root cause of our success. We have to be up and running for our clients on the east, central, and west coast time zone, so our hours are from 8:30 am to 6:30 pm. However If you are done or ahead with your work we encourage everyone to head out and enjoy their time off. If you're looking for a 9-5 job, don’t take this, it's a career. We need people who are looking for a place to invest their passion and in return the company will invest in them. It’s a two way street.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open to feedback from every employee and apply it when it has merit. Have more cross-department meetings and interactions within the company. As we keep growing make sure we are promoting the right leaders that will have the best successful impact for our company and clients.

"All Promises Fulfilled"

Current Employee - Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

during the interview process i was promised career opportunities, the chance to visit clients, on the job and classroom training, and "investment" from my mentors and other directors. All of this and more has been fulfilled in my time with alliantgroup.

Some of the cons are not really cons... people complain about "too much work" and "demanding schedule," but really, what successful business out there does not have a high volume of work and demanding schedules for its most valuable employees? For me it's all about having the opportunity to be part of something that makes a real impact. We get to help american businesses claim valuable tax incentives and create more jobs. This is not just political rhetoric. It's real. I've seen it, and heard it directly from clients. This place is the real deal.

Cons

growing company, so there ERP system is somewhat dated and there is a lot of stuff done manually that could be automated that would really increase employee productivity.

Advice to Management

Invest in new ERP system
    Keep hiring... we need more good people

"Associate Director"

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have recently joined alliantgroup just under a year ago and I am so happy I did. I read all the pros and cons and did my own research and I am so glad I did! Everything I want from an employer and in a new job I have found here. I am able to watch my co-workers celebrate their success and they celebrate mine. We are changing the world with what we are doing for our clients in keeping jobs here in the U.S. and the fact that we are able to help CEO's uncover the cash refunds they are eligible for is all the more rewarding. If you have been successful in your career and you want to work for the company that will reward you for your hard work when you want to work here with us.

Cons

The company is growing at such a rapid pace we need more top performers. If you do not want to have your work reviewed or be part of an elite group then don't come here. Some people come here and think they are going to change us and then they don't work out so that sometimes puts pressure on the others so know what you want in your career and be honest with the person you are meeting with in what you are looking for.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!!! I love it!!!!!!

"great transition to a new industry"

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started here in an entry level Professional Engineering position after transitioning from a different industry. I was a bit nervous at first because it was so new for me. But, there was a lot of opportunity for growth because my group was new so I took advantage of it. My earning potential and bonus plan is great and above what my friends in my engineering program in college have available to them. Sometimes the work can be repetitive, but oftentimes I do get to work on buildings that are very innovative and featured in industry journals and publications so that is pretty interesting and makes it well worth it. Makes for good conversation with other engineers while on the road. The benefits work out really great for me. Health insurance is covered 100% and they recently started matching 401k contributions so I started participating in the plan this year. Management has an open door policy which is good and my manager isn't opposed to getting in the trenches and getting his hands dirty when the work gets tough, and I appreciate that a lot. I can actually say this about all of management really. All the way up to the top, which is really awesome. You don't find that at a lot of places nowadays.

Cons

Managing my workload with the tools that I have available can be difficult sometimes. For a mature company we should have better project tracking and assignment systems. One day I could have two projects on my plate and the next day I could have 20. It is very hard to plan with swings in workload like this. There has to be a better way. I know the company is making significant investments in this area, so I am hopeful for what is to come. Fingers crossed.

Advice to Management

Overall I like the direction management has taken the company since I have been here. We have grown significantly and so has the opportunities for myself as well as my compensation and benefits. As I mentioned previously, invest in better tools to manage the workload. I think that is the biggest challenge facing employees right now. I see this is starting to happen, but more public updates on this would be helpful to those of us who are out of the office often.

"Opportunities"

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

alliantgroup is filled with floors of ambitious, driven individuals that push you to be better every single day. The leaders here care and they want you to achieve all of your dreams. I started working at alliantgroup because a few of my friends worked here and had tons of opportunities.

If you want to be part of a movement, want to change your life, achieve your dreams...if you want opportunities, to meet some of the most talented individuals, then this is the place for you. A note to the entitled: Success doesn't come to those that work 9-5. It's not a handout...you have to earn it.

I love the culture and environment. I'm surrounded by people like me that want to work hard and be challenged.

Other pros: free lunches, free parking, free health insurance, 401k match, competitive salaries, no hierarchy / access to leaders, gym and free classes, wellness director, travel, beautiful office

Cons

Galleria area is a traffic nightmare

Advice to Management

All I have for the management team is gratitude.

"Terrible Work/Life Balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch everyday, compensated well; wellness program

Cons

Don't work here if you have a family or want a good work/life balance. It's common to work from 7 am-11 pm.

Advice to Management

Review the hours you make employees work.

"Rude people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company provided lunch
    Company pays 100% insurance
    Company Happy Hours & Parties

Cons

Long Hours
    Management is rude
    Turnover rate is extremely HIGH
    They interview at least 25 people a day

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better,communication is key