alliantgroup, LP Reviews | Glassdoor

alliantgroup, LP Reviews

Updated September 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free lunch everyday, compensated well; wellness program (in 44 reviews)

• Free food, long hours so that I cannot have any outside social interaction (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • absolutely no work life balance (in 50 reviews)

• There is absolutely no work-life environment (in 25 reviews)

"Are YOU the right fit?"

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

To be honest, I would not recommend working here to anyone and everyone. There are people who are better suited to mediocrity, who would like to work in a non dynamic environment and who do not enjoy being challenged in the least.

If that is you, don't bother applying and don't bother wasting everyone's time in working for alliantgroup. You'll end up on here with a negative review because you didn't care to admit to yourself what you were truly looking for - a job and not a career.

However, I enjoy surrounding myself with smart, engaging and passionate people. Individuals who want to make a difference, who don't mind working hard to help businesses while making a great living for themselves and their families.

If you love to work in a fun and challenging environment, want somewhere you can really grow...and have perks that include free lunches, onsite nutritionist/gym, insurance, and movie nights, etc... then you'd be a good fit.

Cons

See above. I think the pros and cons are different to different people. A boring and unchallenging environment is a con to me, personally. However, there are plenty of people who are looking for a mind numbing job and environment. To those individuals, go elsewhere.
    To you smart and dynamic people who are looking to be passionate about what you do, you'll love it at alliantgroup.

Advice to Management

Disregard the naysayers, not everyone is going to be a good fit. Keep up with the constant improvements and the continuous additions of perks for the rest of us.

"Associate"

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work environment is new, clean and open.

Cons

So many entitled millennials

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

pretty building, covered parking, and what seems to be a high salary and good benefits, provided lunches

Cons

terrible work hours, if you do the math you are paid like shi* for all the hours that are worked. all meetings are done outside of work hours and you can have up to 2-5 meetings a week depending on which group you are in.

you think you have a gym access but there is absolutely no way to access the gym during any hours of 8-6.
    they provide lunch every day which sounds great, but its awful- you eat at your desk and you are frowned upon if you try to leave. and your neighbors food stinks the rest of the day.

Advice to Management

Figure out that people enjoy work and LIFE. you can't keep ppl locked in a building from 8-11pm.
    Ppl are there to work, not be the CEO's friends. It's almost as if he doesn't have anything better to do but throw a meeting to guarantee he has someone to hang out with at night.

"Perfect for Someone Looking to Grow"

Current Employee - Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity for the right kind of person. If you are looking for an environment that is going to challenge you to be the best professional that you can be, this is the right place for you.

Management is fantastic and constantly looks for new ways to invest in company personnel. The team leads are genuinely interested in developing their team members and are willing to "get in the trenches" with you.

Dhaval, the CEO, is brilliant and an all around good human-being. He genuinely cares about the development of people and has an open door policy.

If you have a "type A" personality, you will thrive here. The culture is performance focused and not on tenure, so the right kind of person can have a huge impact in a relatively short time.

Cons

As a tax consulting firm, you will have to deal with some long work days during (timely and extended) tax seasons.

Advice to Management

Keep finding new ways to invest in employees and the community. Provide more opportunities for teams to collaborate with each other.

"They literally asked us to write "honest" Glassdoor reviews"

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time

Pros

Free catered lunch with minimal health value, a tiny gym open at all hours but you can only use it before 8:30a or after 6:30p if you're not "blue a elite", lots of free beer and wine during company happy hours and events, and some of the nicest and most intelligent coworkers you'll ever have. Seriously, there are some incredibly smart engineers, lawyers, and individuals with PhDs working here.

Cons

They wanted an honest review, so here it is. HR. I mean "talent," because that's what they renamed themselves and we don't have an actual HR group anymore because they focus most of their time on hiring and trying to retain disgruntled employees... anyways, they reach out to people that appear to love the company and beg them to write 5 star reviews. All 5 star reviews are fake. Please realize this. I'm convinced people make multiple Glassdoor accounts to just keep posting high reviews to try to save their awful rating.

I originally was going to title this review as "you're now a brother/sister of alliantgroup fraternity" but I thought it was better to inform everyone that they beg you from the inside to post 5 star reviews because it's that bad. On your first day, you're herded like cattle into the shiny elevator where you emerge on the 20th floor to walk through a tunnel of excited new coworkers utilizing noisemakers to welcome you into your new fraternity that you just sold your soul to. They paint you a very pretty picture to sign your life away, showing you a beautiful oasis. but all it is, is an oasis. If you've had a job before and were laid off or fresh out of college and can't find a job... walk away now and save your sanity. I know what you're thinking, "Wow, they'll pay me a lot of money to get awesome work experience while I continue to look for another job." Think again. After you're there over 10 hours each day (make it 12+ during the 5 month long tax seasons you cannot take PTO during), you have no time or energy to apply for other jobs that you're actually passionate about. There will be moments where you'll love the place, like a great client experience or a good interaction with your coworkers, but that thought will always quickly change when you realize you're undervalued and not treated as a person, more as a cog in the wheel.

They believe in a raving fan mission, which is great, they really want their clients to have a great experience. This should show you right here that this job is basically a sales role - through every client interaction, you're preached to "add value" to try and retain clients. They hold "Raving Fan Rows" where they force you to cold call your clients, regardless of where you are in the study process, to badger and beg them to write a testimonial letter or refer their friends. Again, this job is heavy on a salesman persona, so if that's not you, you will not be comfortable in this role.

Have you read the Houston chronicle articles about the sexual harassment and daily occurrences at this place? It's all true. Every single word. As you can see, former employees AND many current employees dislike this place enough to sell news to the media to expose the wrongdoings on the inside. You'll find during your time here, the only happy people are the ones with no outside life and practically live inside the big blue A's walls.

They love to hold their culture against you and stifle your promotions if you're not "culturally aligned." I watch ill equipped people gain and maintain positions they're not qualified for simply because they live, eat, breathe this company. Being culturally aligned includes drinking beer during working hours with your coworkers at work. being forced to interact with coworkers while still working on client files. Being culturally aligned requires you to spend much more time at work outside of the ridiculously required 50 hours for a salary job (yes it's literally a minimum of 50 hours per week for a straight salary position). Do the math. We work 20% more than normal 40 hour/week people, so your salary is really 20% less in that respect. Anytime your coworkers organize a team function or a hang out, you better be there, regardless of what you have going on at home, because they'll hold it against you later and make you feel inferior because you have a family or hobbies at home.

You'll question ethics and morals here. It might take a while, but it will happen. You're given incentives like half days and bonuses to over-bill clients and you'll find some of your coworkers hoard billable work for themselves, or even worse, bill to clients and tasks they never actually worked on.

Sure, if you're a young, fresh twenty something that's single and have minimal friends or outside interests, you might love this place. It'll feel like a warm embrace with all of these 22-27 year olds trying to carry a company. You'll see high up managers taking vacations with people they oversee. Professional, eh? You can even go hang out with C-level management at Cle and be set for life. However, if you're a self-respecting person, regardless of age, you'll hate every minute of your time here. Say goodbye to your family when you leave your house Monday morning because you won't get to spend time with them again until late Friday night. You'll literally be "working for the weekend."

PTO - yes, you get 15 days to start, but you better have your phone with company e-mail or your computer on you at all times because they force you to be available to your clients at all times. Automatic out of office replies are not allowed (this was told to me once and I received a text message asking me to remove it), but it's becoming more commonplace now. Rules like this, like many others, are not written down anywhere and cannot be validated and fluctuate across different teams. You can't take PTO during spring (February through mid-April) and fall (August through mid-October) tax seasons anyways.

When you read reviews about people crying and feeling worthless, believe it, because I've felt it. I've gone and taken a half hour nap in my car because I've been utterly exhausted from working, I've cried on the bathroom floor, I've cried in conference rooms, I've walked to the water wall and literally contemplated my existence... it's not a healthy environment. My mental health and self-worth deteriorated during my tenure here. Even on the days that I love my job and I feel so much support from coworkers, you're utterly overworked here and are slowly wasting away. You'll see 28 year old people who have only worked here a few years with bags under their eyes every day and slowly forming wrinkles. I am not joking. Everything in here is true.

Advice to Management

Come out of your offices and get to know the people making you money. One of my managers didn't even know my name for months and has still to this day never had a real conversation with me unless I marched into the person's office myself to share information or ask for help

"Implementation Team***"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

alliantgroup is an amazing place to work. Every single day, my peers and I are pushed to grow as professionals. As my first job out of college, I was skeptical because of all of the bad reviews posted on GD.

All I can say is that I could not be happier. Is it challenging? yes. Am I learning new skills and techniques that will be invaluable to me for the rest of my career? yes! Do I have fun at work? YES!

Bottom line. The negative reviews are all bogus. They're probably written by ex-employees that were not cut out for this type of work and just wanted a job and a paycheck. This is not the place to work if you want to coast and watch the clock all day. Conversely, if you have a driver mentality and constantly ask "why" and "what's next," then working at alliantgroup will only inspire you to achieve your max potential.

Cons

Come one... of course there are "cons." We have had double-digit growth EVERY year of our existence. What does this mean? It means that there will never be a shortage of work, or layoffs... it also means that everyone has a lot of responsibility and opportunity. Not really a con, but definitely worth considering if you are just looking for a J-O-B.

Seriously, one "con" that does come to mind is that we are becoming too "process" driven and that is causing folks to stop thinking critically and rely on what the "process" tells them to do next.

Advice to Management

We need a better ERP system and please keep hiring bright minds!

"Amazing Opportunity!"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for alliantgroup has been one of the best decisions I have ever made. I feel extremely lucky to work for a company that has such a strong culture where high performance and investment are highly valued and rewarded. I am constantly being pushed and challenged with the ultimate goal of getting to the next level and I couldn't ask for a better support system. alliantgroup is definitely a place for a life long career and there are so many opportunities for success- whether that is within your own department, a different department, or through crafting a different role altogether. No thoughts or suggestions fall on deaf ears....transparency is encouraged and it allows for a very open and collaborative environment. We have a ton of fun here as well- it doesn't feel like work when you love who you work with and love what you do!

Cons

I can't say there are any major cons to working at alliantgroup!

"Misleading Work Environment"

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Catered Lunch Everyday
    -Young Work Environment
    -Stepping Stone

Cons

-Long Hours
    -Cult Like Culture
    -No Work-Life Balance
    -Overworked
    -Management is a Joke

Advice to Management

Hire more people, understand workload of employees, pay better for the long hours required, and STOP posting fake reviews on this website

"Amazing, challenging and rewarding...EVERYDAY!!!"

Current Employee - Senior Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Associate

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at alliantgroup for almost 4 years now and there is really no place like it. We get to work with small and mid-sized businesses to help them put money back into their pockets all while working alongside some pretty awesome people. It is challenging daily but so rewarding. No two days are the same and there is constant growth as an individual and professional. Investment is our top most important cultural tenant and is the foundation of our high performance culture. If you have drive to meet your goals, alliantgroup will equip you with all the tools you need to meet those goals. Supervisors and mentors will be dedicated to helping you grow in your career. I can't imagine being anywhere else.

Cons

alliantgroup is not for everyone. If you do not want to grow as a professional and you are looking for a job of ease, alliantgroup is not a fit. It is called growth for a reason.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest, invest, invest and develop those leaders!!

"Great opportunity for the right candidate"

Current Employee - Business Development in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Business Development in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Don't believe the negative reviews. I've worked at alliantgroup for a number of years now in a few different areas of the company. When I first started there were only a couple hundred people company wide. The last several years have seen the company grow exponentially and they're adding folks every day. The industry we operate in is one that is greatly needed by businesses of varying shapes and sizes nationwide in an economy that has been tumultuous of late to say the least. Regardless of what capacity you may find yourself in here at the firm, everyone is connected to the same mission - helping businesses reinvest in themselves. When you distill what we do down to this simple fact, the rest is easy to understand.

The culture at alliantgroup is performance driven. Results are published weekly so that people understand how their performance stacks up against their peers and what they need to strive for in order to improve. Management is also very eager to invest in their people so that those people can in turn develop more folks. It’s very open door and employees are encouraged to interact with management daily. That said, this is not a culture of micromanagement. Employees are empowered to be able to find new and creative ways to drive results. Collaboration among peers is also greatly encouraged and it leads to a great team-based approach.

It's also very much a work hard, play hard environment. Because there are so many businesses that need to be served, the workload is heavy, but it’s not without its rewards. Free lunch, an in-house gym, wellness classes and seminars, and financial incentive are just some of the things that the company offers its employees as a reward for their efforts. The company also makes it a point to celebrate results and to celebrate often.

If you’re willing to put in the time, learn, and have a strong work ethic, then you have uncapped potential to succeed at this company.

Cons

Because the work we do is driven by tax deadlines, at least 2 times a year things can get a little more intense and demand longer hours. The workload maybe stressful for some that are accustomed to more of a clock-in, clock-out nine to five. That said, this is the nature of complex consulting.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your folks and develop more leaders.