alliantgroup, LP Reviews | Glassdoor

alliantgroup, LP Reviews

Updated September 13, 2017

Current Employees

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free lunch everyday, compensated well; wellness program (in 44 reviews)

• Free food, long hours so that I cannot have any outside social interaction (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • absolutely no work life balance (in 50 reviews)

• There is absolutely no work-life environment (in 25 reviews)

"Great opportunity for the right candidate"

Current Employee - Business Development in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Business Development in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Don't believe the negative reviews. I've worked at alliantgroup for a number of years now in a few different areas of the company. When I first started there were only a couple hundred people company wide. The last several years have seen the company grow exponentially and they're adding folks every day. The industry we operate in is one that is greatly needed by businesses of varying shapes and sizes nationwide in an economy that has been tumultuous of late to say the least. Regardless of what capacity you may find yourself in here at the firm, everyone is connected to the same mission - helping businesses reinvest in themselves. When you distill what we do down to this simple fact, the rest is easy to understand.

The culture at alliantgroup is performance driven. Results are published weekly so that people understand how their performance stacks up against their peers and what they need to strive for in order to improve. Management is also very eager to invest in their people so that those people can in turn develop more folks. It’s very open door and employees are encouraged to interact with management daily. That said, this is not a culture of micromanagement. Employees are empowered to be able to find new and creative ways to drive results. Collaboration among peers is also greatly encouraged and it leads to a great team-based approach.

It's also very much a work hard, play hard environment. Because there are so many businesses that need to be served, the workload is heavy, but it’s not without its rewards. Free lunch, an in-house gym, wellness classes and seminars, and financial incentive are just some of the things that the company offers its employees as a reward for their efforts. The company also makes it a point to celebrate results and to celebrate often.

If you’re willing to put in the time, learn, and have a strong work ethic, then you have uncapped potential to succeed at this company.

Cons

Because the work we do is driven by tax deadlines, at least 2 times a year things can get a little more intense and demand longer hours. The workload maybe stressful for some that are accustomed to more of a clock-in, clock-out nine to five. That said, this is the nature of complex consulting.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your folks and develop more leaders.

"Amazing Opportunity for the Right Personality"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My time at alliantgroup has been filled with ups and downs – struggles, setbacks, and growing pains – but I am extremely grateful for everything this company has provided for me.

This company and the various roles I’ve fulfilled have shaped me into the person I am today. Having previously been employed as an engineer with a Fortune 100 company, I can truly say the amount of knowledge, skill, and character development I have acquired are unlike anything I would have imagined. Since my time here, my mentality and overall focus has gone through several different iterations – all of which ultimately prove to be an evolution for the better.

I’ve grown as an individual, a leader, a student, and professional.

While all of the above are what keep me here and make me happy, I realize others may need something a bit more tangible to measure a prospective employer.

+ Excellent benefits (highly competitive salary, 401K match, great PTO allotment)
    + Challenging & rewarding work environment
    + Fantastic upward mobility and truly limitless potential

Cons

As you’ll probably hear time and time again, this job is not for everyone. I cannot emphasize that enough. To better understand what I mean, let me describe myself:

I’m a young (mid-20s) male, competitive to the core, extrovert, and an absolute workaholic. I’m also very resilient and am highly adaptable/teachable. Also, I’m not married.

And look, I understand people will say this job “drains you” or leaves “no room for a social life”. Social life? What else are you doing at 7 PM on a Wednesday night, watching re-runs of the Big Bang Theory?

My point is – my circumstances and environment allow me to invest a lot into my career. And because of that, I’ve found a company whose culture I thrive in.

The turnover at this company is high for a reason – people half-halfheartedly take a chance on a job they know deep down is not for them.

Advice to Management

Be more upfront with prospective employees about the work-life balance. I understand it's a delicate line to walk, in that you don't want to scare away a potential new-hire too early, but you're not doing anyone a favor by not being completely 100% forthcoming about the demands of the company.

Catered dinners all year round for those staying past 7 PM. If there are employees here working, it seems fair to provide dinner.

Keep the culture strong. In growing so fast, it's a challenge to maintain the same recipe without anything getting diluted or lost in translation.

"The Ten Commandments of Alliantgroup"

Current Employee - Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growing up, my parents sent me to vacation bible school each and every summer. We always learned about sin, and the dangers of those who sin. The entire time I worked at alliantgroup, I watched people committing sins before my Lord, and wondered when they would be punished. The best part of working for alliantgroup was reading a recent publication, which as the Lord alway does, refilled my cup. My faith in the fact that those who commit sins will be punished had been shaken. It has been restored. I am eternally thankful for alliantgroup for restoring my faith that sinners will be punished.

I understand that all people may not be a religious zealout, like myself. Therefore, I decided to judge the merits of alliantgroup as they stand before my Lord based purely on the Ten Commandments. I will also grade the commandments, based on the degree to which they are broken at alliantgroup.

GRADE SCALE:

1-10. 1 meaning a commandment is followed. 10 meaning part of the mission statement runs contrary to the particular commandment.

Cons

1) You shall have no other gods before Me.

This one, I am not sure if they break or simply misinterpret. The CEO probably believes that this commandment was written by him (or at least written by a project associate somewhere in one of his project summary reports) and therefore is discussing himself. Yes, there are no other gods at alliantgroup other than the CEO. Grade: Incomplete.

2) You shall not make idols.

Once again, pretty tough to determine. I had seen an email in some report discussing some inappropriate things and discussing the CEOs private areas. I found that to be inappropriate about the "Lord of Alliantgroup". Grade: 3/10.

3) You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.

The people of alliantgroup use the phrase "G-d d*mn craigggggg" so often it hurts. I was constantly hurt by the fact that my name was not craig (did they know my name), but was glad because I know my Lord may strike them down, and I didn't want my actual names in the transcript when he learned of these atrocities. Grade 5/10.

4) Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Whether you are Jewish, Christian, Mormon, or any other religion, the sabbath will always come second to your "billable" hours. You have two choices, you can either claim billable hours throughout the week that you did not work, OR you can work on the Sabbath to meet the billable hour standards. You are forced to break either commandment 4 or commandment 8 or 9. Since they will give you the choice on which commandment to break, I will judge this one with a grain of salt. Grade 4/10

5) Honor your father and your mother.

CEO and COO are shown great honor by their plebes. Grade: 1/10. They follow this commandment.

6) You shall not murder.

There were no murders committed at alliantgroup. I did see at least 200 people fired. I felt that necessary to mention because thats the business form of murder. Grade 1/10.

7) You shall not commit adultery.

This is my favorite one. One of the "perks" of becoming a "craig" or upper management is that as a gift upon your promotion, you are given (similar to a dowry) your very own CRA to commit adultery with. You get to choose this one on your own, however. You can choose a relationship director, but be careful not to step on any toes when doing so! Best part is, while your wife is in a suburb tucking your children in and reading them a bedtime story, you get to be drinking (sin!) gambling (sin!) and dancing (sin!) with a cute young thing in Las Vegas (sin!). Even the good family men will fall victim to these fresh college graduates, as if these women are Sirens from the Illiad, luring them away from Clear Lake and Katy, and into the arms of young, recent college graduates in Las Vegas. Since both of the founders (that still work there) are unmarried and are therefore unable to commit adultery, this grade is lessened. 8.5/10.

8) You shall not steal.

10!!!!! Sorry, I am supposed to wait until the end to give out my grades. Which part of their stealing is the worst? These people steal from the government (by claiming false R&D credits), they steal from their clients (by claiming billable hours that were not worked) and they steal from each other (by taking credit for each others work, as well as by forcing people to work unbillable hours after the "cap" is hit.) As a gift to the people of alliantgroup, I have rewritten their mission statement for them since I felt "Helping small to mid-sized businesses" wasn't exactly accurate. I feel as if "We get 35%, you get a 12 page PSR!" is a much more appropriate mission statement. Feel free to use that, I will claim no ownership over it. You can have it. For once, you won't be stealing something.
    Grade- 10/10. Wish I could go higher, but I respect the rating scale too much.

9) You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

Does testifying (before God and our courts) that these companies ACTUALLY qualify for R&D credits count as bearing false witness? Yes. Does telling every employee "we see a ton of potential in you, that's why we are [insert punishment here] in order to get them to do whatever you want count as bearing false witness? Yes. Does making fake glass door reviews and posting them trying to lure people into your cult count as bearing false witness? Yes. I have seen enough. Everything here is a lie before our Lord. Grade 10/10.

10) You shall not covet.

We are all forced to break this one. When you look at your most recent bank statement to see you are behind on your home payment, and then see the CEO drive up in a 900K Porche at 3 in the afternoon, yeah, you're gonna covet his life. The man is the definition of gluttony. He eats, drinks soda-pop (sin!) and tells dirty jokes during his entire work day. 3:00PM-6:00PM. He does send his occasional 2:45AM email so we plebes think he is working late. Grade 9/10.

Advice to Management

God is watching.

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee." Ezekial Elliot 25:17.

"Cult-like, unprofessional company filled with childish/frat-like mentality and slave labor."

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time

Pros

Free lunches, good parking, nice views

Cons

Literally everything else. Employees are encouraged to lie to companies about how many hours they are putting into their work (putting in 100 hours instead of 10 hours). Management is creepy and cult-like, preaching buzz words to you all day instead of actually training you.

If you want an unrewarding job with impossible to get bonuses, and a cancerous group of colleagues company-wide, go for it. You won't go anywhere - this place is career suicide. Can be an "okay" placeholder job, if you are willing to work unpaid overtime up to 10-20 hours extra a week (Which, by the way, is completely illegal, but they manipulate you into working it for the "good of your team." And AG can get away with it because they are based in California, where overtime laws are different.) Work is repetitive and mind-numbing once you've been there a few months.

Slave-like labor corporation. Stay away.

Advice to Management

Just stop. Burn this place to the ground. There is nothing good here. Just look at the over 200 lawsuits filed against them and the recent sex scandal with the CEO, who I can confirm, is accurately described in the report.

"Terrible Work/Life Balance"

Current Employee - Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Lunch AND Free Dinner - Yes, if a company is offering you free dinner, it means that they expect you to work long into the evening.

Cons

No work/life balance. Extremely high turnover. Too much travel. Bad publicity.

"The Devil Wears Prada"

Current Employee - Associate Director
    Current Employee - Associate Director

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I don't get to wear free designer clothing but during my frequent trips to Houston I cringe while witnessing 20 somethings teetering along in their 4 inch heels (slightly reminiscent of playing dress up in mommy’s closet). Statically speaking this company is made up of over 50% women and the average age of 27. I used to love that I was a part of a company who devoted resources/attention to their female employees. This is not accidental but purely by design to benefit the CEO & clientele. 'A million girls would wish for this job’ (only because they wouldn’t hire a male) & ‘You can have it all’ is pounded into your female brain but will never be uttered to your male counterparts. Why is that!? Work/ Life balance is something that is discussed a lot because the demand for work is unsustainable. How does one have balance when working EASILY 80+ hours a week? The pay is nowhere decent considering the hours worked. Your priority is strictly Work and your Life will be left for balancing. Upper management expects you not to be troubled by your Home Life. That means hiring out your other life duties, such as but not limited to: House manager, Dry cleaning delivery, Grocery delivery, House keeper, Errand person, AM & PM Child(ren) Nannies (as you won’t be home till after 9pm), Dog nanny, Husband nanny (I think that's called a new wife)…..all on a non-competitive salary.

Cons

‘You choose to get ahead' by closely watching your colleagues to see if they are living the alliantgroup culture and if they bleed blue. At first signs of distress you are to run straight to the Senior Management and tell them your findings, which will make them think you are 'bought' into the culture. But really it’s just a simple game of Hot Potato & you don't want to be the one caught holding the information. The relationship by many executives is abusive, name calling, harassing, giving 'context to understanding' and verbal attacks are all too frequent. At an attempt for a quick resolution, AKA so you continue making them money, they will offer employee praise, lack luster bonuses or glorified promotions because they 'invest in you'....which all mean nothing. Ithink I just gave you the definition of 'Narcissistic rage'!! Moving on... I thought I was 'bought' into the culture and it was fun while it lasted. I enjoy being part of the cool club but ultimately the price comes at HUGE cost. I had alienated my family, friends, husband all because I was too invested into my career and that 'I loved my job'. Fake it till you make it, is a repeated mantra by many associates/directors hoping our endless sacrifices will eventually lead to the fruition of less hours, real life promotions and a decent salary.

Advice to Management

Stop having your associates do all your heavy lifting and literally escorting you the bathroom. I don’t think I need to wipe you as well. That's all.

"Toxic Cult-Like place"

Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pros
    Free Lunch
    Pay is decent at first
    fun co-workers
    Full medical and dental and vision
    At first this place seems like google. fun young people, company happy hour, free lunches and half the yr free dinner etc The most of the new employees are good fun loving people. They have good perks like onsite gym and wellness classes. The bldg is nice and in a great location with free parking.

Cons

No work life balance
    unethical practices
    brown-nose type culture at its worse

After the honeymoon of three months of so you get a better idea of the place. They bring lunch and dinner in so that they can bill the client more and keep you in the bldg. they do not want you to go home and even want you to work weekends. They claim that if you go home before 6:30 that you are only working for a check even if you have finished your workload. They want you to live for them and have no outside life.

They create a toxic work environment that is extremely unprofessional. There is a reason that most people that work their that are not management are younger than 28 and are unmarried with no kids. They try to trick and trap you with decent pay and bonuses. Most intelligent people see past this trick and leave. Intelligent people also soon realized that management does not care for them and belittle you as quick as the season change. if 90% of your promotion or raise depends on your brown nosing skill than there is a bigger issue.

Most of the positive reviews you will read are probably fake, written by the paid employees to balanced out the negative.

Advice to Management

When your turnover is as high as McDonald's than you have a issue. Truly try to invest in your employees lives and not how they make you feel. Let them have a outside life.

"Scientology of Corporate America"

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you can survive longer than a year at this job, you can handle anything

Cons

We can start with the hours, completely atrocious- forget any type of social or personal life. "Do not travel during revenue generating hours", is an actual rule. This translates to traveling on Sunday or after 7pm... again goodbye free time. Their corporate headquarters are in Houston which also means you'll need to spend at MINIMUM 1 week a month at this location (refer back to travel schedule). They will also make you stay in corporate housing when traveling, which have at least 2 beds per room, so kiss goodbye any idea of alone time or decompressing from your day. After the long day of actual work (8:00am-7:00pm) not including responding to emails at lightening speed at all hours of the night, you will be forced to stay for an evening training till midnight or later. While I would say training is a sign of investment, most of these evenings were spent berating low & high performers in a group setting. Someone always leaves in tears. Every single statement made in this setting will be ridiculed by both senior leaders and the CEO. When you finally sleep at night you need to make sure to sleep with your phone on high volume because your supervisor or the CEO will email you throughout the night and expect intelligent and thought provoking responses from you. There really is no time to think of this as "odd behavior" because alliantgroup will keep you working around the clock with zero time to think as an actual human being. The brainwashing is real. The PTSD is real.
     When people leave alliantgroup they are considered a "suppressive person - SP", i.e. you are not allowed to associate with these people anymore because they do not hold alliantgroup to the highest regard. However, when a co-worker leaves alliantgroup do expect to go through "auditing" and explain why you think they left the company, what you could have done to keep them, and why you are dedicated to alliantgroup. If you bring up any new or irrelevant information during this time you will likely be kicked out of the circle of trust for not elevating an issue with a rogue employee sooner. One way to get back on good graces would be to write a 5 star positive review on glassdoor (reference ANY of the positive reviews here).

Advice to Management

First and foremost, treat employees as human beings, give them the dignity and respect they deserve. We are not your minions you can order around for entertainment. People need to come first.

"If you are the right type of person this can be a great place to work."

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Almost a true meritocracy and much closer than most places to getting it right. If you are a type-A personality and a workaholic who doesn't mind also wasting time when more senior staff think it's time to hang out you would probably do well there.

Cons

There's a bit of a boy's club and while they invest a lot in the employees sometimes that means they can't admit when they need to let go of some that aren't working out and instead will get of newer talent.

"Finally found the culture I thrive in..."

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time

Pros

After spending 7 years in the workforce I finally found a company that aligns with all of the things I'm looking for in a company. alliantgroup stays true to their word about rewarding people who work hard and add value, and they give you all the tools you need to excel within the company. alliantgroup offers formal training, assigns you a mentor, and places you on a team so you have the foundation you need to really grow your career within the company. The transparent management style and company culture lets you know where you stand at all times and what you need to do to get to the next level within the company. Aside from the career benefits, alliantgroup is just a fun place to come to work. For the first time I'm eager to go to work each day!

Cons

While this is a pro for me, it may be a con for others, and that is alliantgroup truly rewards merit over tenure.