alliantgroup, LP Reviews | Glassdoor

alliantgroup, LP Reviews

Updated April 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Free food, long hours so that I cannot have any outside social interaction (in 32 reviews)

• Free lunch everyday, compensated well; wellness program (in 32 reviews)

Cons

"Work with the best to be the best"

Current Employee - Managing Director in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Managing Director in Irvine, CA

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had the opportunity to join alliantgroup after a very successful 20+ year career in another industry. I have now been with alliantgroup 3.5 years. Joining alliantgroup is the best decision I have made in my professional career. I have worked in boutique firms and multi-billion dollar firms, but until I joined alliantgroup, never had I worked at a firm so focused on being the ABSOULTE BEST at what they do, both for the external clients they serve and the internal employee.
    With alliantgroup, everyday I have the opportunity to serve American businesses in the best possible way, helping them grow their businesses, hire more workers and invest in the American economy.
    With alliantgroup. everyday I get to work with the best and brightest professionals, all focused with the same commitment to serve our clients with a relentless dedication to excellence.
    With alliantgroup, everyday employees are recognized for their hard work. This recognition goes beyond a "pat on the back", it includes, rewards, benefits, dinners, parties, trips, bonuses, and lucrative compensation packages.
    All employees are encouraged to share feedback, collaborate, take ownership of their work, and grow with the company. The only ceilings to growth are the ones you build yourself.
    It is incredibly rewarding to work in an organization where so many intelligent, driving, ethical people, from the CEO to the data entry person are laser-focused on helping American business and each other be the best we can be.

Cons

You HAVE to have a passion for helping others and a commitment to excellence in the work you do. If you want to produce at a minimum level, clock-in-clock-out, alliantgroup is not the right place for you. We have to work to our client's deadlines, so working with accuracy and urgency in always necessary.

Advice to Management

Thank you for pulling the best out of each of us and allowing us to impact American Business. Don't take your foot off the accelerator!

"Long term employee"

Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked for alliantgroup for over 10 years. Alliantgroup has provided me with unlimited opportunities. I have been able to advance professionally in ways no other employer could ever provide.

Cons

There is a learning curve for the 1st 6 months or so, but they offer tons of support durning your growth at the firm

"Senior Associate Director"

Current Employee - Senior Associate Director in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Director in Houston, TX

Pros

Great place to work alongside like-minded, high-energy, competitive professionals! I recommend to all of my friends who are driven and want to work at a place that continuously pushes its employees to be the best.

Cons

No cons that I can think of!

Advice to Management

Great management who is invested in growing its people!

"Energy Modeler. DON'T accept it! Run away and keep looking. No balance, poor pay!"

Former Employee - Energy Modeler in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had been working here for 4 years. Trust me. This is where your career goes to die.
    Look at all the fake reviews! Every positive review is written by management to help savage their ratings! I have never worked at a worse place that exploits their employees, and the job market. You're JUST another number that can be replaced at anytime. Within 3 months, 50% of new hires are FIRED!

Did you really get an engineering degree to earn $14/hour and work 50-60 hour work weeks?? No, you didn't.

Do not work here even if you are desperate. It's not worth it. The core values are designed to have politically correct, and legal, HR approved ways to exploit you until you decide to quit. The money isn't even good. It's horrible. All of the salaries you see here are FAKE, and uploaded by alliantgroup's HR to make it seem competitive.

Cons

You will be treated like a number. The job market in Houston is very bad right now because of the Oil&Gas market's crash, and alliantgroup is exploiting this. Lots of laid off, and desperate workers looking for salaries, but you're better off collecting unemployment or working a blue-collar labor job, than this place.

They have fired over 15 people since I have worked here. If you do not stay late, or completely devote your life to this cause, you WILL be let go.

Why should they keep you around when they can replace you with people who have very irrelevant college degrees, are 22 years old, and will work harder than you because they are that desperate for money?

Modern day equivalent of a "sweat-shop."

No true professional will ever stay here. The men who run this company know what they are doing because they can treat you poorly, and replace you at will in this market.

Do. Not. Work. Here.

Please trust me. Until some serious changes are made at this place, you will hate yourself for not listening to this review.

You will not be promoted here as there isn't enough business to keep everyone happy. Management will always have theirs, and this company will always stay at its current size.

The growth capacity is limited by management's greed, and ineptitude.

Modern day frat. Do yourself a favor, and go get a master's degree, or professional degree of some sort, and join a real organization not guided by money, and unethical practices.

As Mark Zuckerberg said: "Treat your employees well enough so they don't use your internet to look for other jobs."

Advice to Management

Pay your employees when they ask you for raises after working for you as loyal employees for 3 years.

Implement a 9/80 schedule or a 40-hour work week. Give every other friday off, or every friday halfdays.

No one wants to build a career at a place that doesn't give out proper PTO, sick days separately, nor recognizes ALL official U.S. holidays. That's NOT a career. That's just another job...

Back off and quit micromanaging. I have never worked somewhere so inept. It's mind-boggling!

"Rewarding!!"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been with alliantgroup for over 2 years now. In my time here I have not only learned about taxes (which no one really knows coming in), so much industry knowledge, but also what it takes to grow your career and utilize your resources. Yes, this company is still pretty new which means there will be growing pains, but how much it has grown and they amazing people that work here AND what we have done for American businesses is outstanding. When I say it is rewarding, I never thought I would feel so good about what I do day in and day out. You will learn so much, and also have the tools to grow yourself as a professional. In the 2 years I have been here, I live and die by our culture and realize that I take what I have learned here home with me and utilize them in my personal relationships. Meaning, I have learned so many life skills. The culture may be overwhelming to some people at first - being transparent, over collaborating, urgency ect. - but once you see how it works and it is here to make YOU better every single day then you will LOVE IT. Yes - there is long work hours but not all times of the year and if you work hard your Director will always be understanding of whatever is going on outside of your life.

Another thing I love is the relationships I have made here. Especially my team, but some of these people have become really close friends. We all care about each other and all invest in each others growth and development. It is another family.

-a bi-yearly contest for making your clients RAVING FANS with a huge BONUS!
    -Free semi - healthy lunch every day
    -free workout classes in our gym
    -100% covered health insurance
    -free dinner during tax season (Jan. 15th - April 15th & July 15th - Oct. 15th)
    -free fountain machines and pretty much any kind of drinks you want
    -We also have a lot of fun here! We have "Raves" every so often which sometimes include Lip Sync battle competitions, we have golf tournaments, trips to California

Cons

Sometimes you may have to work longer hours during tax season and there is a black out season where you cannot take off (different for each department), but they will always make exceptions especially for weddings ect. We are growing really fast so the training is continuing to get better so always know you can make an impact on your input there.

Advice to Management

Have a better training for new associates of the different departments and more collaboration for the new associates with all the departments they will work with early on so when they are promoted it is not so big of a change. Keep investing in your people, we appreciate it!!!

"Worst experience I've ever had"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch- until you realize they don't want you to stop working.

If you have no outside life, and want to devote your world to a company for minimal return- then this is the job for you!

Cons

Zero work life balance. I was at work from 830am-7 or 8pm most nights, and then taking calls from home 3-4 nights a week including weekends. My boss asked me to take a call on Christmas Eve when I was on paid time off with my family. Don't believe the good reviews on here- they are either posted by marketing or managers pressure the "good" employees to write them. Most upper management, including the CEO, is single and childless so they do not understand having a life outside the company, and those that do are punished. It's basically impossible to have kids and work at this company- there's a reason most of the work force is young, right out of college, and without kids. They engrain a "high performance" culture and then use that to fire people they don't like. I was a "high performer" and when I put in my 2 weeks, I was walked out that day by HR so they didn't have to pay me for 2 more weeks. They will attract you with free lunches, a decent salary, and pretty building: don't fall for it. I promise your sanity, free time, and life aren't worth it.

Advice to Management

Work should be one aspect of your life, not the whole thing.

"Energy Modeler? More like Data Entry..."

Former Employee - Energy Modeler in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working there you are sure to meet some kind hearted, relatable individuals. I can honestly say, some of the best coworkers I've had the pleasure to work with came from alliantgroup. I think they are relationships that will transcend my time with this wretched company.

Cons

I can only speak from what I saw in the 179D department but I think it is safe to say that THIS COMPANY IS A JOKE! It truly is very petty and gossip driven. Management is comprised of nothing more than yes men. The most of them are unintelligent people with no mind of their own who push the agenda of their insecure and antisocial 'leader'.
    You will be told of the core values only to find out that no one truly follows them, including management. Instead they are commonly used as 'buzz words'. These are words that management likes to throw around when they have no other good reason to deny your request for a promotion or raise. The definition of each of those values changes from day to day (by management). One day, collaboration could mean that you are proactively keeping your project team up to date on project deadlines. But the next day it could mean you meeting with your director to tell him that your coworker actually has the audacity to leave on time every day when their work is done. What you don't know is that leaving on time is frowned upon whether your work is done or not. It will be a point that management will bring up to you and it will be a reason you are stalled at your current position with the company. While they are not legally able to outright tell you to stay late and come in on the weekends, they will make it clear that when they give you more work than humanly possible to do in the given workday you stay to get it done.
    Your task as an energy modeler will be to make buildings largely built in the 60s and 70s to qualify for energy efficiency tax deduction. The work and methods used to achieve this goal are questionable at best, and no one you directly work with will be able to explain to you what is technically going on with the systems you are modeling. Why is that you may ask yourself? Well, this company does an exceptional job of driving away top end, intelligent, subject matter qualified individuals because EVERYBODY takes issue with the loose interpretations that are used to qualify projects. Not many mechanical, electrical or plumbing engineers work there anymore because they've all been either fired when they ask too many questions (or have an ethical objection to the methods taken) or quit. All that is left are a bunch of down on their luck civil/structural engineers and architects who have no knowledge of how anything works. I honestly believe that this company purposely turns away subject matter knowledgeable individuals because of all the objections that they continuously raise.
    Your direct supervisor/team lead will be someone who is a middle of the road/average modeler who will not be able to answer your questions past day one. But one month in, he/she may be asking you how to complete a task because he/she doesn't know or understand how. These are your 'architects' and non-degreed individuals who have sucked up enough to management to warrant that promotion and will talk bad about you to them whether you are doing a good job or not. Bottom line, if you are not constantly feeding management gossip about employees, you will get nowhere.
    Pay and career opportunities are a joke. Senior management has openly said how this position is the bottom of the totem pole and how there is nothing worse than being a modeler. Pay was cut for modelers only in January 2016. Most modelers lost between 20%-40% annual pay with no warning. Raises were refused for even the high performers but there were questions abound about why productivity and hours worked was down. Do you really still want to give 150% effort for a company that willingly and drastically cut pay and refuses to recognize its high performers with periodic raises? No, you won't. But management will be completely oblivious as to why moral amongst modelers is so low. No one wants to work well past 9 pm and weekends after you cut pay so drastically while simultaneous giving us the run around when it comes to raises and promotions.
    My advice to any individual considering this position would be to turn away and accept another offer. There is nothing here for you but long (10-12 hour) days, uncaring management and a very small chance at a career with low pay. At this company you will have no social life. Thinking of getting a masters/mba? You won’t have the time. Thinking of having a natural social life with friends, families and kids? You won’t have the time. Thinking of becoming involved in community work or having a flexible work schedule that allows anything other than work? You will be denied. Save yourself the heart ache. The bad reviews are true and honest, just like this one. The good reviews on this company are from HR directly or employees who suck up and are told by superiors and HR to go and spread positive word about the company online to try and attract more candidates (I’ve heard that one from the horse’s mouth). There’s a reason this company as a whole has such high employee turnover, they don’t treat them right. Don’t be a part of this nonsense, you can do better.

Advice to Management

I know your little corner office feels nice but the employees you are tasked with evaluating sit outside of those four walls. Try walking around and listening to what your employees are saying (and not just the closest pod to you). You will not retain intelligent top end talent if there is no career growth. Your current team leads should not be representative of what this department needs to grow. INVEST more career development time in your high performers, most of them are better than your biggest suck up. Lastly, there is nothing wrong with being technical in nature in a job that is 100% technical in nature. PMs/PAs should be your client focused TAX EXPERTS, run as if a tax consulting firm would be. Modelers and engineers should be the department's TECHNICAL EXPERTS who have very little biased toward any study and are run like an engineering office. Until you get that right, your current model will always have a high turnover and low moral.

"Associate"

Former Employee - Associate in Villa Park, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in Villa Park, CA

I worked at alliantgroup, LP (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Travel points if you fly United
    2. The opportunity to go to Houston if you have never been.

Cons

Sadly this was the worst job I have ever had. The fake friendships are a joke, the training is absolutely horrible and the sleeping around is disgusting. Do not believe the work hard play hard its all bull. This place is run like a high school. Upper management sleeps with the staff. You will have no outside life. Everyone who works there thinks they are the best and that its the "blue a" it's all pathetic. Everyone who works there is told to post positive stuff to make the company look better. You are shamed if you leave first or if you leave before 7pm. It's an extremely unhealthy environment.

Advice to Management

Please take the time to develop your staff. You're core values need to be re-evaluated because unfortunately no one in management follows them. Best of luck to this business, but unfortunately I don't see it being around for the future unless you are bought out and changed by a group of legitimate professionals.

"Don't accept that energy modeler position."

Current Employee - Energy Modeler in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Energy Modeler in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you get in a position of power, you have a lot of pull what people under you get to do.

You don't need actually skills to work here! Just be really social and you'll be promoted.

Cons

Expect people to get mad over useless job trivialities.

Some jobs offer no security or opportunity for growth

People who aren't in charge of you determine your fate.

Advice to Management

Stop listening to people who make you laugh, there are people in charge who are terrible at what they do. You can actually see who is good at their job if you would go around and participate once in a while.

"Avoid Like the Plague"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP (More than a year)

Pros

-They will hire anyone with a pulse and college degree.
    -Free lunch (because they do not want you to be away from your desk long).
    -Could drink a couple of bees after 6:00 pm (would rather be home like most working professionals)

Cons

I was at alliantgroup for a little over a year and you should do all you can do avoid working with this company. I have been contacted by the IRS recently and requested to come in and interview on the practices of the firm and how they conduct their tax studies. I don’t think it takes a genius to figure out that this is not a good thing for the company long term. It is obvious by all of the five star ratings that those reviews are all internally generated from alliantgroup via their joke of an HR group. When I was there I would say only 20-30% of employees stayed with the company for at least a year, which says a lot about the environment. They say the hours are from 8:30am to 6:30pm, but if you were to try to leave at 6:30, that was looked down upon by higher-ups and your dedication was questioned. They often held “billing competitions” where employees would routinely bill over 100 to 120+ weeks when it was very obvious that these individuals were not working nearly that much, but management didn’t care because it was generating revenue. I could spend hours writing about all of the reasons you should NOT work here. Like the title of this review state, avoid this place like the plague.

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees like the professionals that they are, and not just another cog in the wheel that can and will be replaced. Also, Dhaval is creepy as hell.