alliantgroup, LP Senior Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

Senior Associate

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dhaval R. Jadav

Pros
  • Free lunch everyday, compensated well; wellness program (in 32 reviews)

• Free food, long hours so that I cannot have any outside social interaction (in 32 reviews)

Cons

1. "Amazing Opportunity for the Right Personality"

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My time at alliantgroup has been filled with ups and downs – struggles, setbacks, and growing pains – but I am extremely grateful for everything this company has provided for me.

This company and the various roles I’ve fulfilled have shaped me into the person I am today. Having previously been employed as an engineer with a Fortune 100 company, I can truly say the amount of knowledge, skill, and character development I have acquired are unlike anything I would have imagined. Since my time here, my mentality and overall focus has gone through several different iterations – all of which ultimately prove to be an evolution for the better.

I’ve grown as an individual, a leader, a student, and professional.

While all of the above are what keep me here and make me happy, I realize others may need something a bit more tangible to measure a prospective employer.

+ Excellent benefits (highly competitive salary, 401K match, great PTO allotment)
    + Challenging & rewarding work environment
    + Fantastic upward mobility and truly limitless potential

Cons

As you’ll probably hear time and time again, this job is not for everyone. I cannot emphasize that enough. To better understand what I mean, let me describe myself:

I’m a young (mid-20s) male, competitive to the core, extrovert, and an absolute workaholic. I’m also very resilient and am highly adaptable/teachable. Also, I’m not married.

And look, I understand people will say this job “drains you” or leaves “no room for a social life”. Social life? What else are you doing at 7 PM on a Wednesday night, watching re-runs of the Big Bang Theory?

My point is – my circumstances and environment allow me to invest a lot into my career. And because of that, I’ve found a company whose culture I thrive in.

The turnover at this company is high for a reason – people half-halfheartedly take a chance on a job they know deep down is not for them.

Advice to Management

Be more upfront with prospective employees about the work-life balance. I understand it's a delicate line to walk, in that you don't want to scare away a potential new-hire too early, but you're not doing anyone a favor by not being completely 100% forthcoming about the demands of the company.

Catered dinners all year round for those staying past 7 PM. If there are employees here working, it seems fair to provide dinner.

Keep the culture strong. In growing so fast, it's a challenge to maintain the same recipe without anything getting diluted or lost in translation.

"difficult but well worth it"

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

grew more here in 2 years than in 5 years at my previous job; free breakfast, lunch and dinner; free gym; free yoga, circuit training, pilates lasses; free health assessments; outsized bonuses; can make more $ here than anywhere else; chance to meet former and current governors, senators and congressmen and know them on a first name basis; help us businesses grow; given a lot of responsibility from the start

Cons

you will work 50 hours a week; will challenge your brain more than you thought possible

Advice to Management

need more experienced managers

"great transition to a new industry"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started here in an entry level Professional Engineering position after transitioning from a different industry. I was a bit nervous at first because it was so new for me. But, there was a lot of opportunity for growth because my group was new so I took advantage of it. My earning potential and bonus plan is great and above what my friends in my engineering program in college have available to them. Sometimes the work can be repetitive, but oftentimes I do get to work on buildings that are very innovative and featured in industry journals and publications so that is pretty interesting and makes it well worth it. Makes for good conversation with other engineers while on the road. The benefits work out really great for me. Health insurance is covered 100% and they recently started matching 401k contributions so I started participating in the plan this year. Management has an open door policy which is good and my manager isn't opposed to getting in the trenches and getting his hands dirty when the work gets tough, and I appreciate that a lot. I can actually say this about all of management really. All the way up to the top, which is really awesome. You don't find that at a lot of places nowadays.

Cons

Managing my workload with the tools that I have available can be difficult sometimes. For a mature company we should have better project tracking and assignment systems. One day I could have two projects on my plate and the next day I could have 20. It is very hard to plan with swings in workload like this. There has to be a better way. I know the company is making significant investments in this area, so I am hopeful for what is to come. Fingers crossed.

Advice to Management

Overall I like the direction management has taken the company since I have been here. We have grown significantly and so has the opportunities for myself as well as my compensation and benefits. As I mentioned previously, invest in better tools to manage the workload. I think that is the biggest challenge facing employees right now. I see this is starting to happen, but more public updates on this would be helpful to those of us who are out of the office often.

"Endless Opportunity"

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A true meritocracy - the sky is the limit. You are rewarded for the effort that you put in. A true team environment where everyone is pushing each other to the next level. No wonder the company was number 2 in the Top Workplaces list published by the Houston Chronicle!

Cons

Like all tax consulting firms, there are 2 busy seasons. Hours can be longer during those weeks. Mix up the lunch selections more - don't get me wrong - the catered lunches every day are awesome, but variety is the spice of life.

Advice to Management

Keep empowering the managers at the sub-team level. Let their talent push the company to the next level with you.

"Just ok"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at alliantgroup, LP full-time

Pros

You learn a lot of transferable skills. The office is nice. They bring in lunch.

Cons

No real room for advancement after a first promotion. The hours are not fun after the first few months because you spend lots of time writing repetitive reports.

Advice to Management

Expand the business to allow people actually grows. Focus on the things that make the business work.

"Great place to invest in yourself."

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP (More than a year)

Pros

As a business professional looking for career opportunity, this is a place that can provide you with unlimited growth potential. The company is known for growth organically and promoting from within. Employee wellness is taken very seriously and all are encouraged to participate in wellness classes, group workout sessions, and use the gymnasium. Access to leadership is present at every level. Truly an open door policy that make collaboration and sharing ideas easy and encouraged. Great open floor plan, meant to encourage fast development.

Cons

Travel can be heavy during the busy seasons.

"A Good Opportunity"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

alliantgroup has been a wonderful experience and a good opportunity. Like many of the reviews have said, it really catapulted my career and allowed me to grow as a professional at an accelerated rate. I have grown so much - personally and professionally - during my time here and I am truly grateful for all that alliantgroup has given me.

For me the biggest pro are the people. alliantgroup hires some of the most diverse, interesting, and intelligent young professionals this nation has to offer. I am challenged daily.

The culture is designed to reward high performance. I truly like the culture. I enjoy working with other high performers, who push me daily. If I want to be the best, I need to surround myself by the best. Since everyone is in competition to be the highest performer, it can be high stress at times. That doesn't bother me.

Lastly, alliantgroup can be a lot of fun. We have work out classes and an amazing gym. We have friendly office competitions such as the Christmas pod decorating competition. We have parties and lip sync battles. Dress up days. They are funny and fun work perks.

Cons

Long hours - year around.
    Black out seasons - 5 months a year.
    No 401 K match
    15 Days of PTO a year include sick days, Max out at 20 days PTO a year after 10 years at the firm

Advice to Management

I wish the mantra of work hard, play hard was more practiced. Snow cones at 4 pm is great. I would prefer to be able to leave at 2-3 on a Friday after working 50+ hours.

"Mindset is everything."

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As you may have gathered from skimming over the reviews on this page, alliantgroup is a polarizing company. After investing several years in the firm, looking back, I feel the love-hate relationship many employees develop with alliantgroup is deeply rooted in our high performance culture. The bottom line is high performance people push themselves, hard. High performance people get comfortable being uncomfortable because they understand that is what it takes to take themselves and their career to the next level. For me, it all ties back into mindset. There is a lot of truth to both the positive and negative reviews you have read on this page. For those that either do not understand or do not embrace a high performance culture, alliantgroup likely will not be a good fit. For those that understand and embrace a high performance culture, alliantgroup will be a truly amazing journey.

Through my time with the firm, I have realized personal and professional growth at a rate that was not possible at previous jobs. In a few short years, I have helped hundreds of American businesses qualify for powerful tax incentives, gained exposure to the designs of thousands of commercial buildings throughout the United States, expanded my knowledge of the Architecture, Engineering, and Construction industry, strengthened interpersonal skills through constant communication in a collaborative, team-oriented environment, cultivated leadership skills, all the while doubling my earning potential, and having a hell of a lot of fun along the way. Because if you are not having fun at alliantgroup, you just are not doing it right. Our recruiting teams truly bust their butts to fill our firm with some of the most intelligent, energetic, and interesting people you will ever have the privilege of working with. I am so thankful for the wonderful opportunities I have found at alliantgroup, and the best part is, I know I have only scratched the surface of my potential.

If you happen to be or are close to an entrepreneur, then you know how challenging getting a business of the ground can be. Like any other business, alliantgroup has had setbacks and growing pains. That being said, the firm continues to grow year over year at an incredible pace. Again, after investing several years in the firm, I can honestly say management has taken constructive criticism to heart. Like many of the high performers that make up this great organization, management has lead by example and used feedback to elevate their game. Transitioning to a beautiful new facility in the Galleria, strategic shifts towards sustainable long-term growth, performance incentivized half-days, building out a beautiful lounge for dining and recreation, investing in a Wellness program, adding an on-site studio gym, and weekly personalized fitness classes are all shining examples of management listening and adapting to the needs of their employees.

Cons

Consistent long hours year round.

Advice to Management

In true alliantgroup fashion, four stars out of five. There is always room for improvement. An overwhelming number of former and current employees are asking for more time outside of work. Is it possible to move in this direction without sacrificing our mission?

"Challenging and Rewarding"

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I was first looking at alliantgroup, I saw so many negative reviews I almost blew off the interview. I cannot express how happy I am that I continued on. My experience at alliantgroup has been wonderful. I love my job and the people I work with. alliantgroup hires the best and the brightest and offers them not just a job but a career path and keys to the car. It is truly built around the tenet that if you work hard and go above and beyond, the sky is the limit.

The work is rewarding too! I get to work with businesses across the country, helping them utilize incentives to reinvest in their companies. There's something special about going home with the feeling of fulfillment and knowing that you're genuinely helping people.

This is hands down the most rewarding job I have had. Not only the work itself, but the ability to be recognized and rewarded for going the extra mile is an unreal experience. I get home and genuinely want to get up and go right back every day.

Cons

This is a company that demands a lot of people and strives to build high performers. Motivation isn't something that can be taught and when someone cannot look inward and recognize that they do not deserve to be rewarded equally as the person next to them that is going above and beyond, well that can rub them the wrong way. This job demands hard work and motivation to be put in a position to be successful and move up. A lot of people think that's a con. I think it's a pro.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your employees as you are. There are some horror stories on these boards and as rapidly as our company is growing there are going to be some pains. But I am confident in the investment my company has in me and I can see us as a team working harder every day to perfect the process.

"Sweatshop gilded in the facade of customer service"

I have been working at alliantgroup, LP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you need a job, then this is a job. They offer money in exchange for all of your time and a chunk of your soul.

Cons

First of all, the Company tries to sell this job in a number of creative ways. At the end of the day you are going to be a consultant. Your job is to crunch through tax calculations. Lawyers, unless they are hiring you for TCS, avoid this place like the plague.

Really the biggest con of all is the CRA department. They literally hired a floor of women (they have never hired a man for this position), whose sole job is to annoy you and pretend that good customer service means being at their beck and call. The position is redundant, and they make your life miserable. I have never hated anything as much as I hate the CRAs.

The other major con is the unethical billing practices. My last review got taken down (for going into too much detail), but especially if you are a lawyer, you are going to be asked to bill upwards of 100 hours a week.

Advice to Management

Fire all the CRA's and take an ethics course.