athenahealth Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
athenahealth Chairman, President, and CEO Jonathan S. Bush
Jonathan S. Bush

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Challenging project but culture promotes good work life balance (in 101 reviews)

• Work from home flexibility, no micromanagement, lots of freebies (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be difficult to achieve without setting boundaries (but possible (in 64 reviews)

• Many projects end abruptly when senior leadership changes direction (in 26 reviews)

1. "Project Associate"

Current Employee - Project Associate
    Current Employee - Project Associate

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Travel, Opportunity to learn, autonomous

Cons

corporate politics (management does not like to answer questions at times)

2. "Great place to work, with a few caveats"

Current Employee - Client Solutions Associate in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Client Solutions Associate in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a recent college graduate, I had a decent salary for work that was not too difficult. I had a lot of independence and had managers to help throughout. Loved the free yoga and facilities are generally incredible.

Cons

Faced a lot of roadblocks trying to get projects done/trying to get enhancements for clients due to poor cross-team priority alignment. Product is still very much developing and was a bit inflexible, as in I probably wouldn't recommend our product that we were supposed to support. Though they tried to be "transparent," senior management was opaque and sketchy. People would leave all of a sudden and you got no explanation from your supervisors.

If you keep your head down and diligently do your work, this place is great. But if you look around you'll find a lot of things are amiss at athena.

Advice to Management

Make decisions that will stick in the longterm, not a slapdash fix that needs to be changed every so often. Be more honest with employees. Work harder to promote cross-team collaborations and fixes.

"Marketing"

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- compelling mission
    - collaborative environment within the associate and manager cohorts
    - flexible schedule: acceptable to WFH periodically
    - physical environment: many pods in the office have lots of natural light and the campus cafe is great

Cons

- too many reorgs (common for there to be multiple in a single year)
    - efforts to address declining sales growth have been well considered but poorly executed
    - morale has declined in light of the restructuring

Advice to Management

Settle on an org structure and a roadmap: then stick to them. There should be no more than one reorg a year.

4. "Good job innovative company"

Current Employee - Associate in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Associate in Watertown, MA

Pros

Culture, innovative mind set, dogs allowed, on campus food, out of the city, fast pace environment of teaching and learning

Cons

Healthcare benefits, work life balance, lots of change happening right now from the top down, parking can be difficult but building another parking garage

Advice to Management

Lead by example

"Biased, crumbling, good only if it's your first or last jobs (Quality Performance)"

Current Employee - Quality Performance Associate in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Quality Performance Associate in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Sort of chill environment (or at least attempts to be chill on the surface)
    - Standing desks
    - Free food once in a while

Cons

- Very biased towards white towards white people where it's very blatant. The minorities have been leaving at a disproportional rate. They will take advantage of you if you're Asian because they believe you'll work hard and not say anything.
    - Lack of ANY diversity in management.
    - Salary, raises, and promotions are unclear. People with no work experience or less education seem to advance faster than those with more experience and education -- we're very confused by why this occurs.
    - Management are inexperienced and do not care and will only pretend to listen to you. They do not want your input.
    - Many will tell you that there is NO reason to take on more work.
    - People literally crying in meetings because of the way management treats employees.

Advice to Management

- Be upfront with what the work entails. I wouldn't have taken this job if you were honest with how much grunt work this job entails. I didn't go to grad school to be customer service. So now you have a lot of disgruntled employees.
    - PAY US FAIRLY! It is NOT okay that you reward people evenly and not take into account the sheer volume and type of work done by some employees. This provides no incentives for your high performers to continue producing at a high rate. Rather, they will become toxic and leave and you'll be left without the employees that do a bulk of your work. In other words, you'll be left with your low performers who cannot make up for your losses. Fix this NOW!

Aug 15, 2017 – Employee Engagement

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to write this. We do NOT condone any unfair treatment based on race - or any other marker of diversity. We value diversity and all the creativity, innovation, and... More

6. "Doing great things!"

Current Employee - Senior Account Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of pros to working here. At the top of the list is the great company culture. The atmosphere in the office reflects the external mission in the industry. I am surrounded by like-minded people who desire to go above and beyond. The line between work and personal is blurred here. We have beer fridges, great company events, and we bring our dogs to the office. Ultimately, what we are trying to do for healthcare resonates with the employees. I truly believe we are doing good.

Cons

There are not many cons, but if I had to name one it would be the growing pains after such accelerated growth. I also believe the pay (personally) is not commensurate with my experience and responsibilities. Like many other places, upward mobility can have its obstacles depending on many factors - the cohort system can sometimes alienate high performing individuals depending on what level they were hired in at and what department.

Advice to Management

Do more to grow your top performers. Don't get bogged down with so much structure that you would withhold a promotion or more pay due. I would also make sure to be more consistent on the kind of managers you hire and the training they receive. Some departments are definitely more in tune with the overall "athena culture" than others and it shows.

Aug 14, 2017 – Employee Engagement

Wow--What great feedback! Thank you for sharing. We appreciate it!

"Great company"

Current Employee - Payer Transactions Associate in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Payer Transactions Associate in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Friendly and intelligent coworkers
    - Comfortably fast paced environment
    - Meaningful mission in a growing company
    - Low level managers are fantastic

Cons

- Depending on the department you work in, resources/gratification for your projects may take a while. For some people this can be frustrating but I personally don't mind it.
    - People are right that there are constant reorgs. It can be mildly annoying but frankly I haven't seen it have a negative effect on anything.

Advice to Management

- Keep your message consistent and clear
    - Follow through on promises (No reorgs, needs to mean no reorgs) or employees won't trust you

Aug 15, 2017 – Employee Engagement

Thanks for the feedback! You're right - re-orgs can be annoying. We're working on that...!

8. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Senior Account Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at athenahealth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, Work from home, flexibility, professional development, upward mobility

Cons

Constantly re-orging, Departures in senior leadership

"Channel Associate"

Current Employee - Channel Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Channel Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance and cutting edge technology.

Cons

Saturated market place.

"Experience like none other"

Current Employee - Project Associate, Small Group in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Project Associate, Small Group in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- New HIre Orientation is basically a Vacation to Maine
    - Extensive Training Program
    - Mentor Program
    - Separate People and Territory Managers
    - Company Culture is fantastic
    - Pay is competitive
    - Bonus structure is incredible
    - Lots of additional benefits
    - Great co-workers
    - Unique office spaces

Cons

- Its lots of work, but thats kind of a pro as well. You will be busy.
    - They do seem to hire a certain type of person which is weird, but I will admit I probably fall within that category.