athenahealth Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

3.4
athenahealth Chairman, President, and CEO Jonathan S. Bush
Jonathan S. Bush

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Challenging project but culture promotes good work life balance (in 92 reviews)

• Work from home flexibility, no micromanagement, lots of freebies (in 24 reviews)

"Stay focused, athena"

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Almost without exception, all my colleagues are whip-smart and bring their A-game every day.
    I do honestly believe that our work, in both my job and our overall company mission, is helping to improve healthcare -- and therefore lives -- in this country.

Cons

Leadership cannot seem to stay focused. In the 3 years I have worked at athena, the purpose of our team has changed four times, three in the last year. Not at the re-org level, but in the trickle-down POV on what we're doing and for whom. A year ago, the overwhelmingly strong guidance was to do everything for the sake of "x" and a year later "x" seems to be forgotten, and we are to do everything for the sake of "y". The result is employees who don't really believe you.

Advice to Management

Keep track of mandates and, if they must be changed, sit with teams and explain your reasoning. Pivots are part of success and flexibility is a strength, but please stop giving us whiplash with sudden, unexplained changes of mind.

"Innovator improving healthcare"

Current Employee - Director, Business Development in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Director, Business Development in Boston, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ridiculously talented workforce loaded with Ivy League grads, MBAs, and mission driven executives led by a visionary. Will be the leading platform company in healthcare in 3 years. Unbelievable place to launch a career in healthcare and build a network.

Cons

Trimming back on excessive spending to focus on core value drivers and innovation. Spending got out of hand over last few years creating opportunity for active investors to engage, but executive team has embraced the challenge and is proactively righting the ship. Will have some growing pains through end of 2017as company refocuses and realigns workforce, but will be a top place to work over next 5 years.

Advice to Management

Continue to drive the renewed focus on operational efficiency and innovate to improve healthcare.

athenahealth Response

Oct 17, 2017 – Employee Engagement

Wow--What a great review! Thank you for the feedback and advice. We agree that this workforce is ridiculously talented and believe that our people are our greatest asset!

"Member of Technical Staff"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

I worked at athenahealth full-time

Pros

- Mostly surrounded by smart and hardworking people who hail from amazing backgrounds and companies
    - Lots of innovation within the company for existing platform and future offerings
    - Flexible WFH option

Cons

- Important products are basically supported by skeleton crews due to frequent restructuring, layoffs and voluntary (?) employee turnover resulting in overworked remaining staff
    - Lots of technical debt at all levels of the organization
    - Agile transformation was done internally and implemented poorly. The company claims to be agile but there is frequent misuse of the process and people in "agile" roles are not trained properly. Management does not have any understanding of the process, and often in present on the team as agile role (scrum master, product owner).
    - Terrible health insurance. Expect to spend hundreds of dollars every time you go to the doctor.
    - Very bad diversity at all levels. Especially lacking at the top level.

Advice to Management

I worked at athenahealth on for less than a year and was impacted by the recent layoffs. In a way, being laid off was the most positive outcome for me since it's very clear that the company is going in a very concerning direction from a technical perspective.

While it would have been great to work on the next generation of athenahealth products, I don't think the company is ever going to get there. The recent cuts in certain parts of the organization are very telling of this.

From the people management side, the frequent voluntary turnover and lack of concentrated effort on new directives are very concerning. The company seems very disjointed and more invested in (barely) keeping the lights on. Since there is no stability in anyone's role so it's hard to keep track of who is who since people are frequently shuffled around, roles/responsibilities change or projects are abruptly ended. Sure, it's a big company and cogs are constantly moving, but I've worked at companies bigger than this and have never seen this many red flags.

Teams that were supposed to be cross-functional did not communicate or work well with each other, often leading to missed releases and finger pointing. In my role, I also saw a concerning amount of technical debt and diminishing it does not seem like it will ever be a priority there.

Agile was sold to the company as a partial solution to all of the above, but I feel like it made things worse due to its shoddy implementation.

I'm interested to see where the company is a year from now, for the same reason that I slow down on the highway when I see a car accident.

4. "Fantastic internship experience"

Former Intern - Software Developer in Watertown, MA
    Former Intern - Software Developer in Watertown, MA

I worked at athenahealth as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company culture, lots of opportunities to learn from mentors

Cons

Working with a relatively outdated technology stack

5. "Good job innovative company"

Current Employee - Associate in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Associate in Watertown, MA

Pros

Culture, innovative mind set, dogs allowed, on campus food, out of the city, fast pace environment of teaching and learning

Cons

Healthcare benefits, work life balance, lots of change happening right now from the top down, parking can be difficult but building another parking garage

Advice to Management

Lead by example

"Rollercoaster ride - but great company if you can handle the ups and downs"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Company has a great outlook
     - athenahealth is a leader in their field
     - Companies products are top notch, just having a hard time competing against the "known" slow moving competition

Cons

Company is going through a maturing stage, coming to the realization that as much as they want to run as a "start-up", they are not and need to appease the investors.

Too much change at a senior level which as much as they try, causes too much confusion with constant org changes. In five years at the company, my organization has had 7 different leaders.

Advice to Management

Find the right people to actually run the business.

athenahealth Response

Sep 27, 2017 – Employee Engagement

We want to keep the roller coaster going upwards, and your feedback helps! A "maturing stage" is a great way to put it, and we are definitely poised and ready for continued maturation and growth as... More

7. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Healthcare Transactions in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Healthcare Transactions in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, atmosphere, people, perks, etc

Cons

the amount of Re-orgs that happen

"Great Company, well structured, great offices"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

I worked at athenahealth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Organized environment with great opportunity for growth. Very fair compensation structure and benefits. Great work life balance.

Cons

The company can start subsidizing for food costs and add a gym.

"Was "amazing!", but declining towards "good""

Current Employee - Manager in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great mission and long-term vision for the company
    - Actual impact felt at a company level
    - Starting to narrow the focus of the company to core areas

Cons

- Shifting between teams causes 'reset' of progress towards promotion
    - Attempt to hire "best knowledge fit" for position causing company to neglect culture fit of candidate
    - Large slip in the 'Work Hard, Play Hard' mentality over the past 2 years
    - Its starting to feel more like 'just a job' to a lot of folks, as opposed to a career that you are excited to go to each day (too corporate as of late)

Advice to Management

- Don't be afraid to hire people that we can mold into great individuals
    - Mandating things like having a Corp Amex does more to culture than you think
    - Beware of 'experts' on running a >$1B company, and don't forget the roots

"Structure and Change is Needed"

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great internal career development resources if you seek them out

Cons

Vague direction from leadership and continuous swirl. Continues to be a Sales-led organization

Advice to Management

Accountability is needed at the senior level. Without it, the swirl will continue.