athenahealth Product Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 14, 2020

3.3
athenahealth Chairman and CEO Bob Segert
Bob Segert

"athenahealth is steadily regaining its former glory"

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent benefits, great work life balance, strong culture of growth and empowerment, lots of super smart genuine people, tons of flexibility, competitive salaries, leadership seems to be back on the right track, business outlook is strong.

Cons

Some mid-to- senior leadership still seems stuck in the old way of doing things and lack coherent vision. Culture is still recovering following the loss of the founder/CEO and the acquisition by private equity.

athenahealth2020-02-14
  2. "Lots of learning opportunities"

Former Employee - Product Manager/Strategy - Product Development in Boston, MA

I worked at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Wonderful people, passionate about helping clients help their patients, willingness from many senior leaders to listen to new ideas

Cons

Lots of changes - many thanks to an activist investor, lack of diversity in sr leadership

athenahealth2019-11-17

"Lacking Leadership"

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1) Easy work/life balance 2) Watertown has a nice cafeteria area 3) Making up for deficiencies with cash

Cons

Athena is struggling to attract and retain employees. There's no way to avoid this fact - attrition is well above industry averages and hiring is not reaching goals. This is evidenced by how they've simultaneously increased the employee referral bonus, expanded the number of people it applies to and reduced the time it takes to get paid in response to the issue. Alarmingly, the root of the problem lies in the leadership of the company. Only 2 members of the ELT have been with the company for more than a year and only 2 have a background in healthcare prior to joining Athena. For most of the ELT, this is either their first time in an true executive role and/or it's a bigger organization than they've been at this level of leadership in their career. The result is a lack of knowledge of Athena's market, customers, and positioning. The ELT hired consultants to help define the go forward strategy, presented in a glossy presentation. Translating that very high level corporate strategy into execution is not going well for a couple of reasons. First, the consultants didn't truly understand the technology behind their recommendations, which has lead to unreasonable expectations to reset. Second, the ELT doesn't trust the broader leadership team and has used the consultants as a wedge to push the strategy forward to the board without strong consensus from the broader leadership team that needs to lay out the execution. The resulting gridlock makes it nearly impossible to feel like you're making a real difference via the work you do. Several months into the process, it is evident that the ELT is not aligned on how to execute against the bullets on those beautiful PowerPoints. Compounding this is how it the ELT doesn't have any real process or guidelines for getting decisions made. It's difficult to get true direction on simple asks like how to define concepts laid out in the strategy (ask 5 people what a term from the deck means and you'll get five different answers) much less make harder decisions like how to right size current priorities to make room for the new initiatives. This leads to people being asked to do things that are either duplicated in other orgs or worse, the exact opposite of what is being done in other orgs. Within my org, I was part of several conversations (above and below senior manager level) where we were comparing notes on what we've heard the priorities and plans are so we could attempt to align on what to do. Lastly, Athena's overall culture contributes to the issues. There's definitely a sense of "being an insider" for many - both appealing, and with great downside. People on the inside make others feel like they're excluded. The insiders often use information to sow confusion and/or appear on higher footing than their peers. Rarely is key information fully shared to drive cohesion around strategy and execution. This creates a lack of trust within and across teams which fuels the dysfunction, inaction, and inability to make basic decisions. The level and scale of issues is truly difficult to explain. It's hard to believe it'll get better soon. My advice to anyone with cloud tech skills  is to stay away. Athena is not a place with the discipline required to get anything technologically strategic done.

athenahealth2019-11-06
  4. "Energetic and mission driven company"

Current Employee - Product Engagement Manager in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Amazing people with a strong culture. Lots of hiring and promoting from within, if you prove yourself as smart and capable, you are given great opportunities to learn a grow into roles that your resume might not match

Cons

High leadership turnover the last few years (2017-2019) but it feels like it is starting to stabilize. Lack of commitment and focus on a single strategy has caused frustration within the workforce.

athenahealth2019-10-02

"Beware -company in transition"

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Mission Driven. Nice offices. Really Smart People

Cons

Turmoil after acquisition. Bumpy road aheard

athenahealth2019-04-29

"Sr Product Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than a year

Pros

It’s relaxed and if you are motivated, and dedicated you will be empowered with resources and trust. It’s not that difficult to stand out if you are actually capable.

Cons

Athena is filled with people who want a cushy job and do not really push the boundaries. That’s not to say that you cannot find great people who want to do great things just the majority of the people really don’t think of it as a business that has limited resources and you must make decisions based on business value.

athenahealth2019-03-27

"Company seems to be headed into merger mediocrity"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Watertown, MA

I worked at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

athenahealth was a good place to work for many years, with a decent culture, good people, and a good mission, even if it felt like we got sidetracked a lot

Cons

athenahealth just got bought and merged with an ex-GE company, Virance via a take-private transaction. There's sure to be lots of change coming, likely "efficiencies" to be realized, and further cost-shifting of work to India. The new leaders seem to have kept many of the ineffective old leaders at least in the short term. The ship felt rudderless for nearly a year before I left, and it still felt rudderless in the early days after the buyout. I'm not sticking around to wait for the other shoe to drop. Joining now would be stepping into a reorganization and merger mess. I couldn't and won't recommend it to anyone I care for.

athenahealth2019-02-21

"You will feel valued"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for less than a year

Pros

The timeline for the interview process to offer was great! From the point of the initial screening call, phone interview with hiring manager, in person interview and then offer was about 2 weeks, which shows you how much they value your time and how considerate of how stressful that process can be. They truly care about people and it shows in their actions. Everyone I’ve met has gone above and beyond to bring me onboard and ensure I’m getting along ok.

Cons

Relocation to some pricey cost of living places.

athenahealth2019-01-22

"Maturing company going through some growing pain"

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great coworkers, culture, and spirit, flexibility, work life balance, great community for women and Moms. Leadership is willing to listen and adapt, tried to be transparent.

Cons

Poor senior leadership, lack of strategic direction, lots of swirl, and brewing of instability with recent investor bid. Tried to take on too much, lack of focus.

athenahealth2018-05-18

"With change comes opportunity"

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

athena takes risks on their employees that other companies typically would not. During the latest re-organization I was transferred out of my previous role into an entirely new role, a change so drastic that most people would only make after taking time off to go to business school. For some people this would understandably be terrifying, but if you have an opportunistic mindset and have been clear with management about what your career goals are, it's likely that you can and will succeed at athena.

Cons

I think the rapid changes at the company have caused some employees to become less specialized/not have as sharp of knowledge as they once had. This is causing some tasks to take longer to accomplish than they had a couple of years ago.

athenahealth2018-04-06