athenahealth Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
athenahealth Chairman, President, and CEO Jonathan S. Bush
Jonathan S. Bush

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Challenging project but culture promotes good work life balance (in 102 reviews)

• flexible timings, work from home options etc (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be difficult to achieve without setting boundaries (but possible (in 63 reviews)

• Many projects end abruptly when senior leadership changes direction (in 26 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company, great mission, great people"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are incredibly bright, talented people here working towards the same goal. The company and mission sell themselves. The culture is top notch, with flexible hours, a beautiful campus, some fun events outside of work, and little to no micro management across the board. If you land here, it's because you're great at what you do, and you will be expected to come in and hit the ground running (with the training you need, but without anyone looking over your shoulder all the time),

Cons

After rapid growth for several years, the company has gone through some changes and re-org this year, but long term outlooks is very positive.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on, and continue to keep the bar high for getting in the door here.

athenahealth Response

Dec 8, 2017 – Employee Engagement

Thanks for this! We will keep on keeping on!

2. "Senior Manager, Marketing"

I worked at athenahealth full-time

Pros

Great Culture, Nice office space, great bonus structure, good benefits, smart and talented people, great mission driven company.

Cons

Constant shifting of leadership with competing priorities and expectations to work all hours.

Advice to Management

Make a decision and stick with it to minimize disruption to effective workflows

"Highly Unstable And Uncertain Future"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Before I would have said this is a great place to work for college students fresh out of school. They'll grind you down, cheat you on benefits, and underpay you, but leave you with a wealth of experience and connect you with some of the most amazing people you'll ever work with. Cloud-based technology is definitely the future, and it's a great foundational idea. However, with many of the current issues, such as layoffs and turnover, the company is highly unstable and doesn't appear that it can remain competitive in the long term. So maybe consider side-stepping this company for the year or two, and see if things turn around after that.

Cons

Poor management abounds. Senior leadership is always changing directions and focus, to the extreme frustration of clients and employees. Middle managers are untrained (I mean this literally - we have no manager training program), leading to petty kingdoms full of unprofessional leaders who play favorites and make poor decisions based on politics alone. You're generally unable to get promoted above one cohort unless you leave for another company and come back - oddly, they love this. This same culture led to the eCW situation, which is highly concerning.

Advice to Management

First, please have HR stop writing fake, 5 star reviews on here. It's awkward, transparent and highly against Glassdoor's own policies (we see you!). Once that's done, please be more conservative about how you resource work and spend capital (hint: maybe buying touch screen televisions and advertising to employees that you want to "fill the ranks" was a bad idea right after a 10% workforce reduction). Finally, work on a way to retain talented employees. A large number of colleagues indicated they were hoping to leave the company within the next year - focus on a plan for addressing this, and don't have the plan be to fill the ranks with exploitable millennials.

4. "There have been a lot of changes, but its still a great company"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The mission is meaningful
    It's a fast pace job, that is flexible to a point.
    Great colleagues

Cons

I am in total agreement with regard to the management. You really need to walk a mile in the shoes of your employees. This is not an easy job for the faint of heart, you want us to stop attrition and yet you tie our hands. Our clients are leaving because we won't budge when it comes to reductions in rate, and then you want to hold us accountable for that.

Way too many young managers without a clue.

Advice to Management

Choose a plan and stick with it. It's time to grow up as a company. athena was basically run like a high school with the popular kids only succeeding.

5. "Client Service Analyst"

Current Employee - Client Service Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Company to work for
    Yearly Bonus
    Flexible hrs
    Laid back environment
    Training

Cons

Lack of information given when hired and during employment

"So many changes, and not for the better"

Current Employee - Associate in Belfast, ME
    Current Employee - Associate in Belfast, ME

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The corporate benefits team actively strives to improve employee benefits and receives feedback well.

Ability to work from home on occasion (team dependent)
    Flexible hours (team dependent)

Cons

The emphasis on the unique culture of athenaHealth has dwindled, so that there is little advantage to working here over any other healthcare IT company.

Recent layoffs and restructuring resulted in a huge change to some individual workflows, with little/no short term guidance. I was moved to a job and team that I have little knowledge of, with no option to move to a different team that I may actually enjoy working on. I have been moved to a different team every time my manager says I am ready for a promotion (3+ times in the past year), where I have to prove myself all over again. My new teammates are hostile at best (which is partly understandable, as they are also struggling to prove themselves) and, after working at a company that I truly loved getting up in the morning for (for over 5 years!) I've finally been driven to looking at other companies.

Advice to Management

Take a closer look at team dynamics and support your employees. The restructuring effort was, in part, to let people managers actually manage people, but so far their workloads have only appeared to increase, to the detriment of the team.

Allow people to do what they love. We shouldn't be stuck in a place where we are not happy for the sake of stability.

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Professional Ethnic Female in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Professional Ethnic Female in Cleveland, OH

I worked at athenahealth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company with outstanding onboarding and training opportunities.

Cons

Training not well timed. You are put in the field knowing the EMR but knowing enough detail to effectively train end users. Pay is good but if you are a male, you are paid considerably higher than a female counterpart.

Advice to Management

Support the team before sending out to clients.

8. "My hasn't it change"

Former Employee - CSC in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - CSC in Atlanta, GA

I worked at athenahealth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The coworker were awesome. I will miss all of them.

Cons

Many great and talented people lose their jobs due to the need to save a few dollars. Pretty sad

Advice to Management

Do your employees right.

"Mehhh"

Current Employee - Client Service Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people
    Great perks
    Great office environment

Cons

Laid off a whole department in efforts to cut $115million then decided to expand ATL office by $2.5million renovation/expansion

Not as diverse in other departments. Laid off department was most of their diversity.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees
    Dont use perks to mask issues

"Implementation Consultant"

Former Employee - Implementation Consultant
    Former Employee - Implementation Consultant

I worked at athenahealth full-time

Pros

Casual Dress, Food and Drinks available, Decent Bonuses

Cons

Not a lot of co-worker assistance with learning new or changed policies or procedures.

Advice to Management

Backup those in need of learning new material instead of letting them try to figure it out alone.