athenahealth Reviews | Glassdoor

athenahealth Chairman, President, and CEO Jonathan S. Bush
Jonathan S. Bush

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be difficult to achieve without setting boundaries (but possible (in 67 reviews)

• Many projects end abruptly when senior leadership changes direction (in 31 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Wouldn't work anywhere else!"

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing mission, great growth opportunities and people that challenge you and become lifelong friends.

Cons

Tough few months saying goodbye to some good people, but ultimately was the right thing to do for the business.

Advice to Management

Get back to focusing on our services and advancing there. While platform is important, satisfying the clients/prospects will have huge revenue impacts that will allow us to make the platform changes. Get back to the roots of listening the clients, evaluating their challenges, and fixing them with our services. That's where athena used to shine.

athenahealth Response

May 17, 2018 – Employee Engagement

We love seeing this kind of feedback! Cheers to another 10 years as an athenista!

2. "Great place to work"

I have been working at athenahealth full-time

Pros

The people are great at athena

Cons

Nothing comes to mind it is all good

3. "Senior Analyst"

I have been working at athenahealth full-time

Pros

Culture, People, Travel, Benefits, Healthcare

Cons

None at the moment. N/A

4. "Great Culture, Growth Potential"

Current Employee - Data Associate in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Data Associate in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Culture, Growth Potential, Fun atmosphere

Cons

there is a mold to fit and its not for everyone but if you can fit in its a great spot

5. "Company in Transition"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Office culture and perks a plus
    - Can be a place to grow
    - Trying hard to be better

Cons

- Pace of change may be daunting to some as company "grows up"
    - Requires some degree of proactiveness to get the most out of being here
    - Morale recovering from recent layoff

Advice to Management

follow through faster on promises

6. "Good Place"

Current Employee - Associate in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Associate in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Driven Smart People
    Relaxed atmosphere promotes communication
    Work with lots of data for a good purpose
    JB is an emphatic and driven leader

Cons

Lots of change and reorganization
    Lack Standard Documentation of Work so it can be hard to find what you need
    Activist investor looms overhead

Advice to Management

Increase transparency
    Achievable relatable goals that are shared

7. "Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at athenahealth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Place to work, with good work life balance
    Good Compensation & Benefits
    Pleasant work environment

Cons

Learning is limited and scope of growth is less

8. "Long time employee, but it was time to part ways"

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

amazing workforce, dedicated and altruistic employees

Cons

execution on vision, upward mobility locked due to growth stoppage

athenahealth Response

May 17, 2018 – Employee Engagement

We wish you the best and thanks for being an athenista!

9. "Product Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Great benefits, Strong management program, a lot of opportunities to learn and work cross-functionally

Cons

They re-org a lot and while the dogs and beer are fun, there are certainly a lot of office politics

"Was good until Elliott Management came into the picture"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. All of my coworkers are encouraging. Everyone believes in a collaborative environment, and people help each other out. There is no such thing as a stupid question.

2. Direct managers provide great advice to succeed. I have had a few managers over the years, and each has offered a unique, encouraging perspective to provide insight into the company as well as advancing my career. They are also trustworthy and will be honest with upper management when their direct reports disagree with certain high level decisions. Direct management is as transparent as possible with the reasoning behind decisions made, from performance reviews to senior leadership decisions.

3. The direction of technology at the company has made recent strides in the past couple years. With a new CTO, there was some initial resistance and forced changes which were ushered in around the Christmas holidays, which wasn't ideal because large numbers of people took time off (as would be expected). However, the overall initiative to scale the code for stability and future growth has been positive, and there are many types of technologies in play all at once, making for a stimulating environment where getting bored is uncommon.

4. Work-life balance is good. I've been able to go to appointments and deal with unexpected illnesses without any issues from my managers and teammates. I have been able to get to work and leave at reasonable hours. Fortunately, being called off-hours (at least for my team) is extremely rare. There are some people who choose to work long hours/on the weekends, but this is not necessary (however, in my anecdotal observations, working long hours is a common path to promotion in the middle/upper career levels).

5. There is a strong commitment to diversity. Numerous initiatives are underway to recruit more diverse candidates in tech, and these efforts are in the right direction.

Cons

1. Looming pressure from Elliott Management, an activist investor firm, has ruined the company over the past year. The truth is, although there are open positions at the company, I can't recommend working here solely due to the havoc caused by Elliott Management. They put a lot of pressure on athenahealth to cut costs to "deliver shareholder value" which will be detailed below:
        a. This resulted in several talented colleagues of mine getting laid off, including software engineers at all levels and several other positions as well. Unfortunately, for software engineering, the company is now posting jobs and hiring people for positions which I believe could have been easily filled by shuffling (now former) employees into these positions and implementing a hiring freeze. The silver lining is that most of my laid off colleagues (specifically, software engineers) are in the Boston area with strong job opportunities for them, and most found jobs within a few months of the October 2017 layoffs, during which about 10% of the company was laid off.
        b. The October 2017 layoffs affecting software engineers and subsequent reorganization led to a lack of ownership for certain product features. A lot of extra time has been spent by other teams maintaining these features and fixing bugs in the absence of people who wrote the code and could more readily address these issues.
        c. There has been a lot more turnover in the past year than in prior years for the company at all levels (though, to be fair, turnover was previously very low, especially by tech company standards; it seems average now in comparison).
        d. Certain minor perks were reduced (eg, eliminating accessory desk budgets, fewer team outings and company-wide events). While these perks were small and wouldn't drive my decision to leave the company, it is sad to see them go.

2. Health benefits are subpar, but have marginally improved recently. The health insurance now has a lower deductible option while maintaining last year's premium. The dental and eye doctor plans are only accepted by a very small number of providers in the area.

3. Pay is not the most competitive. It's not bad by any means, but in a saturated market of software engineers, there are far better options for those whose top priority is making top dollar.

4. Commuting can be tricky. The addition of a second parking garage has made it so that one can now find a parking spot on-site after 8:45 AM, and parking is free. However, MBTA options are limited, and traffic in Watertown and the surrounding area is pretty dense. My 5 mile commute is 35-45 minutes one way on average, depending on the day. On the positive side, there are some MBTA bus routes which stop near the office, and there is a free company shuttle from Harvard Square for those who live close to those areas.

I had been considering leaving the company since the October 2017 layoffs, but Elliott Management's takeover offer in May 2018 is what pushed me over the edge to decide to leave the company very soon. With the path Elliott Management is going down, it seems that athenahealth's days as we know it are numbered. Whether they will take over the company or another investor will, it might "deliver shareholder value" at the expense of everyone else who has worked so hard to get the company to where it is today. I'm fairly certain that a takeover of athenahealth will result in even more layoffs and basically put the final nail in the coffin.

Advice to Management

1. Reject all takeover bids! I would be very upset to see the company get completely destroyed.
    2. Keep the company culture alive. The collaborative, innovative, and open nature has brought it to the success observed today and will continue to drive the company's success in the future.