athenahealth Reviews | Glassdoor

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

3.2
Jonathan S. Bush

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "work life balance with zero work pressure" (in 120 reviews)

• "I could work from home and flex time throughout the week" (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can be difficult to achieve without setting boundaries (but possible" (in 67 reviews)

• "gt; Senior leadership is awful in many ways" (in 33 reviews)

"Great place to work."

Current Employee - Project Associate in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Project Associate in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting Projects
    Powerful Mission
    Great Coworkers
    Work/Life Balance

Cons

HR / Recruiting
    Work comes in waves

"Proceed with caution..."

Current Employee - Lead Software Developer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Software Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A few ago I wrote about how this was the best job I ever had. A lot has changed since then, most of it for the worst. You may be fine here, or you may not. It's definitely not a horrible place to work, but it sure seems like it some days when comparing it to how it used to be just a couple years ago.

> The vast majority of the people you work with directly are awesome.

> Work/life balance is fantastic. There are a days now and again where you are expected to be in the office, but usually you can work from home whenever you need to.

> A lot of new projects and technology coming into play in the last year. I don't know anyone in Austin who is still writing Perl code on an ancient monolith anymore.

> For the most part, the managers I've worked with over the year have been excellent and most people have a positive relationship with theirs.

> The company mission is inspiring, although depending on where you land you might be doing nothing more than moving data around and not feeling inspired by your day job.

> Free breakfast tacos on Mondays. Other basic free snacks and drinks are available as well.

Cons

Most of the employees right now are not unhappy. The company has been bleeding talent since last October when they laid off 10% of employees to placate a whiny shareholder. If you decide to accept an offer, you should realize that you are likely replacing someone who quit.

> Senior leadership is awful in many ways. No matter how far down the ladder you are, they will make decisions that will negatively impact your morale and career on a regular basis.

> The CTO, Prakash Khot, is full of bad ideas but thinks himself an infallible messiah of tech. I've never seen a leader take an organization high in morale and productivity and drag it down so low. Example: he decided a few months back that all teams across the entire company should consist of exactly 3 developers (with few exceptions). Every engineer that I've talked to about it said it is the stupidest idea that they ever heard.

> Highly political and back-stabbing environment. The CTO used company-wide layoffs last October to forcefully remove the entire senior leadership team in Austin. These were the best leaders I've ever worked with in my life and did their jobs extremely well, but the CTO resented them for pushing back against his demands and often awful agenda (see: 3 developer teams). Morale in Austin has absolutely plummeted since and shows no signs of recovery.

> Low autonomy for certain groups and teams. If you don't have any desire to design anything and are content with just taking orders from above, you'll be fine.

> The company is notorious for re-orgs because SLT at the top are incompetent and unable to provide any stability. This often means having your project abruptly canceled (even if it's 99% done) for BS reasons like a change in SLT's "vision". About half of the projects I've worked on have been canceled for one reason or another

> Career advancement isn't really based on performance, but more on luck. I've watched many great engineers be held back in their careers because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time (project got canceled on them) or had a manager who was too busy to notice their impact or didn't care. HR has taken notice and is making solid steps to improve this though.

Advice to Management

> Send the CTO off to receive professional mental health therapy. The guy is a textbook sociopath and continues to demoralize and depress his entire org. I'm not even kidding.

> Stop reshuffling projects and people every few months because you changed your minds about something. The lack of stability hurts morale, hampers career progression, and just genuinely makes people unhappy. There are people that have been at athena for years without ever working on a completed project because of your lack of commitment to initiatives.

> The company mission and culture seem to have been forgotten in the wake of the new platform initiative, and that's a shame. It's left a void for many people in R&D who came to the company to improve healthcare, not build a new technology platform (that isn't any more revolutionary than what they do at Netflix or Google). A lot of people have left for the simple reason that they don't feel like their work is improving healthcare anymore.

3. "Lots of change"

Current Employee - Special Projects in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Special Projects in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Lots of uncertainty of the future

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate as mush as you are able to

"Used to be amazing, I would not recommend going there now"

Current Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- the people are smart, hard-working, driven
    - amazing campus, easy to get to the office even from my apartment in downtown boston (shuttle service)
    - dog friendly
    - fairly friendly and flexible when life needs arise and you have to work from home, take a last minute vacation day, etc.
    - food trucks
    - great experience

Cons

- arbitrary non-policy policies that need to just be policies. you can't enforce policies that don't exist, or say that there is a policy for one department but not another. Is there a dress code or isn't there? Are we allowed to work from home or not? Are dogs okay or aren't they? Make up your mind and stop enforcing policies arbitrarily.
    - Can be super cliquey depending on what department you're in. You're either in or you're out from day 1.
    - They have no idea what they're doing with job titles/salaries. I watched someone get promoted to a title above me who has 1 year of work experience total (I have 6 in the field).
    - Everyone is super on edge given the status of the company
    - Open office plans make it really hard to work quietly
    - Super cutthroat, don't expect anyone to stick up for you or advocate, they're only out to get themselves.
    - in Watertown

Advice to Management

Get it together and stop promoting people and enforcing policies arbitrarily. People are leaving all the time because there is NO path forward there, and people feel like managers don't trust them or that they will advocate for them.

athenahealth Response

Aug 15, 2018 – athenahealth

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your experience here at athenahealth. We're glad you've recognized our amazing athenistas! They are the heart and soul of the company. Our... More

5. "Software Developer"

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Watertown, MA
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Watertown, MA

I worked at athenahealth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is competitive, good work/life balance

Cons

Little autonomy or room to learn new skills

"Little Growth/Some Good Perks"

Current Employee - Manager in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Work from home
    -Dogs
    -Subsidized cafe
    -Free shuttles
    -Nice campus
    -Autonomy
    -(If you have the right manager) Ownership of projects/initiatives with the ability to influence strategy and input on big picture stuff

Cons

-Little to no growth in career
    -Inconsistent promotions across departments and even within teams depending on your manager
    -Focus on hiring only from top schools rather than focusing on the actual person
    -Women can see their career stall at the manager level
    -Probably needs to clean house with some of the old guard who are not effective and don't allow things to progress the way they should.
    -Health insurance not great

Advice to Management

Check in with department leaders (below the director level) to see what's working and what isn't. Ensure to keep talent by providing clear upward mobility, especially for women and POC.

athenahealth Response

Jul 16, 2018 – athenahealth HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your experience here at athenahealth. We’re glad to hear you’re taking advantage of the work from home policy – it’s one of our favorites. We... More

"Director of Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- great co-workers, cool offices, flexibility with working from home, can bring your dog to the office.

Cons

- Amazing network connecting providers in healthcare, but the product is falling behind, development is not being held accountable to deliver for the last few years and is causing clients to leave
    - old boys club running the company

Advice to Management

- Hold product accountable to deliver

"Young environment with Opportunities for growth"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Watertown, MA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Watertown, MA

I worked at athenahealth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Endless opportunities to learn and grow.

Cons

Unrealistic workload. Manager favoritism. Young employee base within a relaxed work hard/play harder environment is a breeding ground for unprofessional conduct.

Advice to Management

Evaluate close friendships when determining reporting structure. Have more awareness around workload and develop processes to evenly distribute projects. Manage employee burnout to retain quality resources.

"Good Company but turning into the 'Regular Corporate Company'"

Current Employee - Analyst in Belfast, ME
    Current Employee - Analyst in Belfast, ME

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome benefits, generous Paid Time Off, work from home options (depending on department), room for advancement if you pave your own path, fast paced work and change is a daily thing, dog days!

Cons

New management and reorganization occurs a lot. Seems to be turning into just another corporate business, management is becoming more and more about politics, if you want a promotion make sure you are networking with the right people.. sadly that's the only way you really get it. Degrees do not matter here.

Advice to Management

When a team/department gets a new manager stop re-creating the wheel it creates a lot of work for the staff to continuously develop and learn new ways to do things simply because a new manager has taken over.

10. "athena a good but hectic place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

athenahealth really values individual performance and values the contributions of the individual. They have a lot of lateral movement for employees and value a "jack of all trades" mentality over subject-matter expertise

Cons

The company is going through a lot of change which has created a stressful environment

Advice to Management

A clear strategic direction is a must!