athenahealth Reviews | Glassdoor

US - All CitiesFull-timePart-time

3.2
Jonathan S. Bush

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "work life balance with zero work pressure" (in 130 reviews)

• "Work from home and health insurance" (in 38 reviews)

Cons

1. "Very complex, and informational"

Current Employee - Client Service Analyst in Belfast, ME
    Current Employee - Client Service Analyst in Belfast, ME

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A great environment to learn and to teach. In the call center you have help at every corner.

Cons

The information in training is complex, also the navigation of the site is overwhelming, and information collect in training can get lost if you don't pay close attention to details.

Advice to Management

No advice.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. They pay very well. They do a great job at doing things to change healthcare for the better. The company overall is a great company with a lot of positives. The positives are all around the actual work being done by athena, and their ability to keep their employees happy. Work/Life balance is great.

Cons

Athena is a very emotional company with overwhelmingly emotional employees. It seems like everyone has to walk on eggshells at athena to make sure they don't offend someone. It's a very cliquey environment. It seems like everyone wants to belong to a group vs. being an individual, and if you don't belong to a group, you are looked at like an outsider or they just don't even notice you. Promotions are nearly impossible unless you are friends with or kiss up to leadership. I don't think athena really understands how to lead professionals. Their historical approach to hiring has been to hire right out of college. Which is probably exactly the reason for the overly emotional scene, as well as the promotion limitations. I do, however think that they are learning that they will not survive with the non-professional hiring approach. If there is one piece of advice I could give to the employees of athena, it would be "Shut up and work!" :) It seems like when a group of athenistas go into a meeting, they walk in with the mindset of "How can I show these people that I'm valuable?" vs. "How can I learn from the people in this meeting so that we, together, can accomplish or assist in accomplishing our overall mission?".

Advice to Management

Stop catering to your employees' emotions. You're creating an entitled cry baby environment. You have a tough job since the average age is 32 and probably over half of the employees have never worked anywhere else, but that is a major problem at the company right now. The people that work at athena that do not fall into the group of emotional employees are currently looking to leave athena.

3. "Data Scientist"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Collaborative, Friendly people... Dog-friendly! Very good interview experience, the recruiter was friendly, helpful and knowledgeable about tech role and required technical exp.

Cons

Cafe food good but could use more variety.

"An amazing place that crumbled before my eyes"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

I worked at athenahealth full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Peers, investment in leadership development, competitive total comp. package, on-site perks (food, restaurants, great space to work in)

Cons

Really poor, unplanned, ill-advised decisions made in 2017 greatly impacted the success & vision of the Marketing org, the people & professional pathways there, and the motivation & trust of its department. Starting with a new executive being brought in with no one interviewing them; who brought no vision, no real talent, and definitely no new, innovative thinking; who became described as 'a cancer' to the marketing organization within 6 months by their peers; and who lacked any emotional intelligence. From there, things began crumbling.

Advice to Management

People are not names in boxes. Leaders make, or break an organization. That fact can not be over-stressed. People can see thru the BS really quickly - esp when you hire all-stars at the top of their game. And anyone described as 'cancer' on an organization should probably NOT be rewarded to the next level (which is exactly what happened to this Executive described above!)

5. "Despite everything that's going on"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

athenahealth has managed to attract and retain genuine, talented and passionate people - and 've loved to work with them all.. Excellent work-life balance. A culture of unconditional positive regard - with almost everyone trying to learn, teach, and do the right thing. I'm a fan, all in all.

Cons

The past couple years have been challenging due to growing pains, frequent changes in leadership, and Elliot's shake-up.

Advice to Management

This is mostly to the present management: I don't know you anymore! Your ideas, vision and action plans don't always resonate or even reach everyone - the communication gets lost in all the translation - and it's difficult to trust you when what's said and done don't align - please try to reach out and be more genuine!

6. "Implementation Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

I worked at athenahealth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Perks from traveling to client sites for project support.

Cons

No personal life balance with constant travel.

"Work/ Life Balance but Horrible Job Conditions"

Current Employee - CSC in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - CSC in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was recently laid off by Athena Health back in March of 2018 ( I was very happy to leave). However, this is still an honest review of the company since I have no hard feelings about the situation.

First and foremost, the pros of the company are the work/ life balance such as PTO hours and the company social gatherings they frequently held. It made everyone feel like a family.

Cons

I'm sure Athena is a great place to work outside of the department I was in. I was a CSC agent is was absolutely HORRIBLE. The worse job experience I've ever had. The work conditions were very oppressive and we were very micromanaged. We had to be logged into our phones for 7 hours a day (no restrooms breaks and all activities heavily monitored). Upper management would have ego trips in order to assert power over everyone else and made the job extremely stressful. The pay was very low as well (part of the reason why our department was eventually dissolved in the Atlanta office). I'm glad to say I don't work there anymore.

"Company is dying and in a state of decay"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a nice campus, the benefits package is above average now (for years it was way below market average), and if you have the right manager/are in the right department it's family friendly with a good sense of work/life balance.

Cons

The company has never been well run. It's always had a "wild west" and "boys network" feel but since the founding CEO left there is a vaccum of power and un-qualified senior leaders are all trying to get their piece of the pie. They're all just setting themselves up for what they think will serve themselves best once the company is sold. Unless you're a developer, the compensation is only competitive if you're at a manager or higher cohort. There are few company wide standards or policies (for manager training, promotion criteria, work from home, etc) so people that are lucky enough to have good managers might have a good experience, but for those that don't have a good manager, they hate it here.

Advice to Management

Hurry up and sell the company so someone who knows how to run a business this size can step in and give the place the backbone it really needs.

athenahealth Response

Sep 24, 2018 – athenahealth

Thank you for sharing feedback on your experience at athenahealth. We’re glad you’ve seen the enhancements to our benefits package and our focus on creating a great work/life balance. We hear your... More

9. "Client Support Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at athenahealth (More than a year)

Pros

If you follow the parameters and work with your manager, you will get good ratings on your performance review which can result in a good bonus!

Cons

As with any large company, there are many changes and you have to go with the flow. Career movement can be stagnant.

"Proceed with caution..."

Current Employee - Lead Software Developer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Software Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A few ago I wrote about how this was the best job I ever had. A lot has changed since then, most of it for the worst. You may be fine here, or you may not. It's definitely not a horrible place to work, but it sure seems like it some days when comparing it to how it used to be just a couple years ago.

> The vast majority of the people you work with directly are awesome.

> Work/life balance is fantastic. There are a days now and again where you are expected to be in the office, but usually you can work from home whenever you need to.

> A lot of new projects and technology coming into play in the last year. I don't know anyone in Austin who is still writing Perl code on an ancient monolith anymore.

> For the most part, the managers I've worked with over the year have been excellent and most people have a positive relationship with theirs.

> The company mission is inspiring, although depending on where you land you might be doing nothing more than moving data around and not feeling inspired by your day job.

> Free breakfast tacos on Mondays. Other basic free snacks and drinks are available as well.

Cons

Most of the employees right now are not unhappy. The company has been bleeding talent since last October when they laid off 10% of employees to placate a whiny shareholder. If you decide to accept an offer, you should realize that you are likely replacing someone who quit.

> Senior leadership is awful in many ways. No matter how far down the ladder you are, they will make decisions that will negatively impact your morale and career on a regular basis.

> The CTO, Prakash Khot, is full of bad ideas but thinks himself an infallible messiah of tech. I've never seen a leader take an organization high in morale and productivity and drag it down so low. Example: he decided a few months back that all teams across the entire company should consist of exactly 3 developers (with few exceptions). Every engineer that I've talked to about it said it is the stupidest idea that they ever heard.

> Highly political and back-stabbing environment. The CTO used company-wide layoffs last October to forcefully remove the entire senior leadership team in Austin. These were the best leaders I've ever worked with in my life and did their jobs extremely well, but the CTO resented them for pushing back against his demands and often awful agenda (see: 3 developer teams). Morale in Austin has absolutely plummeted since and shows no signs of recovery.

> Low autonomy for certain groups and teams. If you don't have any desire to design anything and are content with just taking orders from above, you'll be fine.

> The company is notorious for re-orgs because SLT at the top are incompetent and unable to provide any stability. This often means having your project abruptly canceled (even if it's 99% done) for BS reasons like a change in SLT's "vision". About half of the projects I've worked on have been canceled for one reason or another

> Career advancement isn't really based on performance, but more on luck. I've watched many great engineers be held back in their careers because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time (project got canceled on them) or had a manager who was too busy to notice their impact or didn't care. HR has taken notice and is making solid steps to improve this though.

Advice to Management

> Send the CTO off to receive professional mental health therapy. The guy is a textbook sociopath and continues to demoralize and depress his entire org. I'm not even kidding.

> Stop reshuffling projects and people every few months because you changed your minds about something. The lack of stability hurts morale, hampers career progression, and just genuinely makes people unhappy. There are people that have been at athena for years without ever working on a completed project because of your lack of commitment to initiatives.

> The company mission and culture seem to have been forgotten in the wake of the new platform initiative, and that's a shame. It's left a void for many people in R&D who came to the company to improve healthcare, not build a new technology platform (that isn't any more revolutionary than what they do at Netflix or Google). A lot of people have left for the simple reason that they don't feel like their work is improving healthcare anymore.