athenahealth Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
athenahealth Chairman, President, and CEO Jonathan S. Bush
Jonathan S. Bush

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Challenging project but culture promotes good work life balance (in 104 reviews)

• flexible timings, work from home options etc (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be difficult to achieve without setting boundaries (but possible (in 64 reviews)

• Many projects end abruptly when senior leadership changes direction (in 27 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Wouldn't work anywhere else!"

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing mission, great growth opportunities and people that challenge you and become lifelong friends.

Cons

Tough few months saying goodbye to some good people, but ultimately was the right thing to do for the business.

Advice to Management

Get back to focusing on our services and advancing there. While platform is important, satisfying the clients/prospects will have huge revenue impacts that will allow us to make the platform changes. Get back to the roots of listening the clients, evaluating their challenges, and fixing them with our services. That's where athena used to shine.

2. "Great place to work"

I worked at athenahealth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative company focused on fixing healthcare. Lots of opportunity to grow within the organization.

Cons

Healthcare is a challenging industry so the work is complex. The company is split into functional departments and the silo structure slows work down due to dependencies

3. "Hopeful for the future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredible, bright, enthusiastic peers, beautiful workspace, deep connection to the company's mission, reasonable hours

Cons

Some of the most recent additions to the C Suite and Board make me hopeful, but there are still a few people in the C Suite (CEO, Product) that are more focused on their own preservation than the good of the company. Representation of women among leadership is awful, even for the tech industry.

Advice to Management

It's time for some in the C Suite to step aside. Stay focused on developing products employees can be proud of (instead of chasing the newest thing)

"athenahealth review"

I worked at athenahealth full-time

Pros

Mission driven company, really smart and fun people, cool company perks, beautiful environment to work in.

Cons

No management training, re-orgs constantly without clear direction, no long term career development and support, people over 40 disappearing, lip service to work-life balance

Advice to Management

Support your management staff more clearly, be direct about where you need to grow in work-life balance and long term work support If you want the company to grow and be stable long-term you need to support people well over the long term!

"Food for Thought"

Former Employee - Onboarding Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Onboarding Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at athenahealth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Travel Incentive
    Meeting New People
    Great Opportunity to Learn about Healthcare IT you don’t have a previous medical background
    Happy Hour
    Diversity

Cons

No clear Career Pathing
    No Promotion Opportunities Available Unless You Are Considered Like-able by the Managment-Staff in your specific department
    Hiring Externally and Not Promoting Within (It’s a shame managers can’t explain the software/workflows)
    Very little advancement for African Americans also referred to as AMFAMS (some board room jargon I GUESS) in a company meeting (pure disrespect)

Advice to Management

Be conscious that with diversity comes different stories and goals. Some people are fresh off a college campus and just excited to be a part of the workforce. Other like myself have real-life responsibilities and see this company as a way to start over. I belonged to larges corporation for approximately 10 years before being laid-off. Therefore your more seasoned employees aren’t willing to play the cookie-cutter game to advance. Be fair when promoting are advising peer teams on individuals, give people an opportunity to be heard before totally disregarding them.

6. "A great place to work"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Belfast, ME
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Belfast, ME

I worked at athenahealth full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

athena culture encourages a collaborative environment. Athena provides an intensive training program

Cons

spend too much time in meetings and less time performing job duties

Advice to Management

Better communication from leadership

"Highly Unstable And Uncertain Future"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Before I would have said this is a great place to work for college students fresh out of school. They'll grind you down, cheat you on benefits, and underpay you, but leave you with a wealth of experience and connect you with some of the most amazing people you'll ever work with. Cloud-based technology is definitely the future, and it's a great foundational idea. However, with many of the current issues, such as layoffs and turnover, the company is highly unstable and doesn't appear that it can remain competitive in the long term. So maybe consider side-stepping this company for the year or two, and see if things turn around after that.

Cons

Poor management abounds. Senior leadership is always changing directions and focus, to the extreme frustration of clients and employees. Middle managers are untrained (I mean this literally - we have no manager training program), leading to petty kingdoms full of unprofessional leaders who play favorites and make poor decisions based on politics alone. You're generally unable to get promoted above one cohort unless you leave for another company and come back - oddly, they love this. This same culture led to the eCW situation, which is highly concerning.

Advice to Management

First, please have HR stop writing fake, 5 star reviews on here. It's awkward, transparent and highly against Glassdoor's own policies (we see you!). Once that's done, please be more conservative about how you resource work and spend capital (hint: maybe buying touch screen televisions and advertising to employees that you want to "fill the ranks" was a bad idea right after a 10% workforce reduction). Finally, work on a way to retain talented employees. A large number of colleagues indicated they were hoping to leave the company within the next year - focus on a plan for addressing this, and don't have the plan be to fill the ranks with exploitable millennials.

athenahealth Response

Jan 29, 2018 – Employee Engagement

Thanks for the candid feedback here. In terms of your feedback about management training, we do have a robust management training program that was rolled out for the 2nd half of 2017. Over 80% of... More

"A sinking ship"

I worked at athenahealth full-time

Pros

Dogs in office, decent work/life balance, noble company mission

Cons

Senior leadership is a total boys' club with old ideas and old ways of working. The company will get left behind if we don't start hiring and thinking differently. Workplace politics are worse here than at any other company I've worked for.

Advice to Management

Employees are leaving, and fast. Declining employee engagement is a real problem, and management has to realize that athena's mission alone will not keep top talent here. It's 2018, and employees expect to be treated better. There are dozens of top tech companies in Boston that are more than happy to provide better pay, benefits, culture, and opportunities for career advancement. athena had better step up, or risk an even worse hemorrhage than what is already expected.

"Great company goals and vision, yet issues with executing that"

I worked at athenahealth full-time

Pros

Low-key, laid back culture.

Cons

Poor investment in employee growth in the "operations" roles.

Advice to Management

Value the skills or education that your employees have, and invest in them appropriately to ensure low attrition. Find a better fit for employees if one job doesn't work as well.

"Has been going downhill for a while"

Former Employee - Associate in Watertown, MA
    Former Employee - Associate in Watertown, MA

I worked at athenahealth (More than a year)

Pros

- Flexible work from home options
    - Beautiful campus
    - Shuttle services
    - The company recruits intelligent people

Cons

- Too much bureaucracy and politics -- I often felt like I was walking on eggshells at meetings and promotions for managers happened on who could schmooze their way with leadership as opposed to who was qualified.

- The hospital product is lacking in so many different areas. I suggest hospitals use EPIC or one of the other competitors over athena.

- No room for creativity or innovation-- the company is too tied up trying to keep up with federal regulations

Advice to Management

- Get some more effective people on your leadership board. Immelt screwed over GE, yet somehow athena found him to be a good choice for a chairman.