athenahealth Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
athenahealth Chairman, President, and CEO Jonathan S. Bush
Jonathan S. Bush

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Challenging project but culture promotes good work life balance (in 91 reviews)

• Somewhat flexible work from home policy which is great (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be difficult to achieve without setting boundaries (but possible (in 61 reviews)

• Health Insurance high deductible (in 17 reviews)

1. "Very Bad"

I worked at athenahealth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No pros
    Compensations & Benefits are good

Cons

Not a good place to work

"Look under the hood"

Former Employee - Manager in Watertown, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Watertown, MA

I worked at athenahealth (Less than a year)

Pros

Marketing, branding, beverages (lots of them)

Cons

Leadership (inexperienced), HR (complete amateur hour)

"This could be a great company...if middle management makes good on their promises."

Former Employee - Client Service Analyst in Belfast, ME
    Former Employee - Client Service Analyst in Belfast, ME

I worked at athenahealth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers create a supporting atmosphere and you grow to genuinely love the people you work with.

Free coffee (Even though it's burnt)

Working conditions are pretty relax for a call center

Cons

Management talks the talk, but a one-legged leper can walk a better walk then those in charge.

Networking with managers is practically impossible because if you're not a groupie, they don't care to talk to you.

Advice to Management

Don't hold your employees back when they're clearly qualified; Listen to your underlings.

athenahealth Response

Sep 12, 2017 – Employee Engagement

Thanks for the candid feedback. We will continue to focus on hiring people who we love to work with. We also appreciate your constructive feedback and are excited to let you know that we are... More

"Was a Great Place, but it's Over"

Former Employee - In R&D in Watertown, MA
    Former Employee - In R&D in Watertown, MA

I worked at athenahealth full-time

Pros

Great, intelligent people.

Get on the right team, and you might get to play around with some cool new technologies.

CEO is hugely amusing, if also hugely offensive.

Cons

I really think this is the end of athenahealth's winning streak. The company, which used to be too tactically minded and did whatever it took to meet short-term goals, has now swung too far in the other direction. New large projects have been set up with a ridiculous number of inter-dependencies. On top of that, the plan is constantly changing. Large parts of the company are spinning their wheels, trying their best to get something done but being frustrated at every point. And our customers are getting more and more annoyed with us because we're not fixing their problems. Add to that an activist investor that will likely push us to reduce costs and I wouldn't recommend this as a place to work, both for career stability and for job satisfaction.

It's a shame, because there are a lot of great people here and we also have a really good market position. But I suggest staying away.

And, like I said above, the CEO is hugely offensive.

Advice to Management

Actually release things and make sure they work as well as you hope.

"STAY AWAY FROM EPOCRATES DIVISION!!"

Former Employee - Sales in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales in Princeton, NJ

I worked at athenahealth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Princeton Office has drinks and food sometimes
     - Some friendly colleagues

Cons

- No vision at all for the product. We were told countless times that a revamp is coming for the product and loads of staff were laid off in San Francisco (who were developing the product)
     - Leadership is a tight knit group with little interest in hearing new ideas
     - Office is a ghostown by 4:30 without concern urgent work is not done. The VP is NEVER in the office, doesn't see clients, and lives 10 miles away from the office.
     - Support from Athena leadership itself is lacking. Integration continues to be poor
     - Budgets not realistic
     - New initiatives don't get far

Advice to Management

Fresh leadership is needed to give Epocrates a future.

"Use as an entry point only"

Former Employee - Client Service Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Client Service Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at athenahealth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is some opportunity for growth. Lots of great people to work with. Parties and happy hours are a nice touch.

Cons

Terrible medical benefits. No pay increase as you learn new skills and take on more duties. A new hire makes the same paycheck as their help desk support. This is unacceptable. Training is also an issue. You receive minimum training in a short period of time and are thrown on the phones to deal with angry callers that are frustrated over things beyond your control. We are overworked. Depending on your skill set, be prepared to answer calls nonstop from the beginning of your shift until the end. Because of this, we miss out on meetings, events, developmental training, etc.
    Because of the business need, we are rushed through training. Use this as a means to find employment with a company that will offer better compensation for your hard work.

"Sales"

I worked at athenahealth full-time

Pros

Free Beer, Some other nice perks, Energetic work environment, Doing good works for the country fixing healthcare, a couple great leaders. Basic introductory training is amazing.

Cons

Pay is low, Health insurance plan is terrible(saying otherwise is a lie), There is significant discrimination for those that don't fit into the young millennial archetype. Management micromanages and has a moderate to severe level of incompetents. HR department is looking out for their career with the company, not employees best interest. If you have a child and have to leave work to take care of them, you will be singled out. Beware strange emails about performance that have no veracity. Management is never let go, only moved around to cover corporate mistakes.

Advice to Management

Fundamental management training is a must. This is lacking to such a high degree that I was consistently shocked at comments and actions of management. Be accountable for your decisions(as they say they are but are not).

"This company SUCKS"

Current Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can dress casually and you can bring your dog to work. Other than that, this place absolutely, positively, without a doubt, SUCKS.

Cons

- recruiters tell you that you'll be performing one job, but when you start you're doing something completely different! Classic bait and switch
    - there is no structure! Constant re-Orgs
    - entire departments have been fired with little to short notice
    - entire departments have been dissolved and employees have been told they can switch to client facing departments or quit
    - racial bias
    - bias based on tenure
    - Crappy management
    - responsibilities are added to your plate without an increase in pay
    - did I mention management SUCKED?!
    - HR sucks
    - a pro and a con, You can bring your dog to work. Constant barking and dogs jumping on you
    - dogs in the meeting rooms
    - dogs walking in on your stall while your in the bathroom
    - if you submit a notice, management won't let you stay until your desired end date. You will be "let go" the very next day
    - the company is WHITE WASHED there is no kind of diversity here
    - the minorities that are hired are only hired for call center positions
    - severely underpaid
    - promotions don't exist unless your best friends with management
    - no one does their job
    - everyone tries to blame someone else for a mishap
    - work from home comes with many contingencies (working 10 hour days)
    - you're told you have to work 9 hour days if you want to take a lunch
    - you're not allowed to take lunches if there is a pointless meeting scheduled or else you will be reprimanded
    - no opportunity for growth

"Just Run"

Current Employee - Lead Developer in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Lead Developer in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing that I could think of , it has lost all its charm as a preffered employer

Cons

Constant reorgs, hire and fire is the strategy , few people close to the CTO get all the credits and cool things to wok on , if you know the CTO you could join the company or just run

Advice to Management

CEO should take stock on what is happening in the company otherwise it will be too late

"CSC Analyst"

Former Employee - Client Service Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Client Service Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at athenahealth full-time

Pros

Free Swag and coffee
    Double pay on non major holidays
    Monthly happy hours

Cons

This place is ridiculous unless you're fresh out of college. The atmosphere is very immature and very big brother ish. You are told where to be and when and what to do and how. They call it teaching and learning but really is just a millennial way of saying micromanaging. Unless you are a drone stay away. Also you will have to participate in learning new skill sets without the corresponding bump in pay. It is just entirely insane. Look elsewhere.