athenahealth Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
athenahealth Chairman, President, and CEO Jonathan S. Bush
Jonathan S. Bush

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be difficult to achieve without setting boundaries (but possible (in 52 reviews)

• Health Insurance high deductible (in 14 reviews)

"User Experience/Service Design: poor leadership and rampant distrust"

Current Employee - Service Design Manager in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Service Design Manager in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

athena provides good office space. most UX and product associates and managers are passionate about healthcare and very smart. Watertown office is also dog-friendly.

Cons

athena, especially UX, is going through 4th major org and leadership changes in last 12 months. Most long time and talented employee, managers and directors, are leaving. the remaining UX leadership (executive directors) only care about getting promoted to VP. My recent one on one with them feel like job interview, as if they will decide who will get fired. There is also rampant distrust between different UX products teams and UX leadership. Most UX associates and managers don't have any inputs business decisions or directions.

Advice to Management

fire current UX leadership and hire some new leadership that truly care about user experience instead just get a new office or chief experience offier (CXO) job title

"N/A"

I worked at athenahealth full-time

Pros

The company outside of the sales arm is pretty amazing. Just a seemingly very caring organization

Cons

Corporate had a massive hiring then a massive firing due to a gross miscalculation of market conditions. Some let go were told it was performance, others attitude, and others, it's a re-org, sorry. Sadly, the culture is a pretty solid lie. I really bought into it when I first started. According to more venerable people, the company has changed dramatically and become a grinder vs a place of good corporate culture.

Advice to Management

Be honest with employees when you fail miscalculate and hire too many people. Creating obviously untrue stories to either let hare holders smile or pull one over on sales people is disingenuous to the culture that is espoused. Jonathan Bush, if he knew the truth, I hope would say, "look, we screwed up. We're sorry". However, that culture of failure and make it better doesn't apply to the employees unless you're a core member of the inner circle.

It became a surreal environment when the layoffs began. No real direction and lots of fear. Who knowingly lets that happen as a manager?

"There is no diversity at athenahealth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- athenahealth is a young company, so there are no strict dress codes. You can literally come into work dressed however you want.
    - Depending on the department that you work in, you don't have to deal with a lot of micromanaging.
    - The pay is pretty good depending on your position and how well you negotiate.
    - Free coffee

Cons

There is absolutely no diversity at athenahealth. The majority of the people of color that work at the company work as a CSC analyst, which is their call center. The call center is also one the lowest paying positions at athenahealth. With a degree you will be started out at $16/hr.

The company exclusively recruits AFAMs for the call center, and once you do get hired there... it is almost impossible to move into another position.

Depending on your position, you are not given ANY work from home days. Usually if you work under the umbrella of the CSC you are not allowed to work from home. Even in situations where it makes sense to work from home instead of coming into the office, you will be forced to use our PTO.

With how new this company is and how much they pride themselves on culture and diversity, the culture SUCKS and there is no diversity whatsoever. You will see a few sprinkles of color in each department if you tour the office.

"STAY AWAY"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Monthly happy hours are nice.

Cons

The employees are not valued. They make a lot of money for us to do our jobs but gives us a very small sliver back. For instance, they make $2000 a day when we travel for their clients but we only make $145.

Advice to Management

Learn how to treat and speak to your team.

"Associate"

I worked at athenahealth full-time

Pros

Not from own experience, but appears that if right fit is found, folks might thrive. All contingent upon the group/area one lands in. Advice to prospects: go with your gut regarding impressions/vibes you get from interviews.

Cons

Departments/groups differ as with most organizations, but a few observations: unnecessarily competitive environment, recognition not always merit-based, uncomfortable level of favoritism, poor work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Keep a pulse on what's going on with the rank and file - ensure recognition is merit-based, discourage favoritism.

"Run while you can from the corporate insanity."

Former Employee - Associate in Watertown, MA
    Former Employee - Associate in Watertown, MA

I worked at athenahealth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free beverages in the fridge, and sometimes free food in the kitchen. They did provide me with a desk budget for the purchase of office equipment. That's about it.

Cons

Micromanaging, back stabbing, belittling managers. Bring anything new to the table and become the outcast. Harassment until you just can't take it anymore.

I worked here for two months. I was made fun of, harassed, and scrutinized for every little thing from the color of my pants to the way I sign an email.

Thrown under the bus and called out by name during conference calls. I was intentionally left out of team gatherings and laughed at when I raised concern to HR.

They fired me, but claim I resigned to cover themselves and prevent me from filing for unemployment.

What a waste of my time.

Way to go Athena.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees, because the company image will decline over time, as more and more employees leave out of self preservation.

"R. U. N. as fast as you can from this company"

Former Employee - Associate, Coaching & Training Services in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Associate, Coaching & Training Services in Atlanta, GA

I worked at athenahealth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are ZERO pros to this company. They try the ole bait and switch. Lure you in with a higher or competitive salary then try their best to make you fail at every stop along the way.

Cons

"Athena culture" is a joke. Micro manage. Different standards for different people. This company brags about their progressive culture but they're the same ole corporate BS. They like to say their the google of healthcare. That couldn't be further from the truth. There is a reason their sales suck right now. And their stock prices are in the gutter! Stay away from this terrible place to work.

Advice to Management

Stop over selling a bad and oppressive work environment

"Dont waste your time!"

Former Employee - Implementation in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Implementation in Atlanta, GA

I worked at athenahealth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Orientation is held in Portland Maine. You have open bar every night while in orientation and free food.

Cons

Segregated. Feels like Jim Crow. I witnessed upper management lie on an employee because they simply didn t like her. That lie resulted in her being fired. Too much work and traveling for 38K. No autonomy. Micro management may be their worst problem. Everyone I started with who has Amy dignity or self respect has quit

Advice to Management

Stop treating the employees so harshly. Stop scrutinizing good employees for stupid stuff. Invest in your people not just your numbers

"Terrible Place to Work- Run don't walk"

Former Employee - Implementation Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Implementation Analyst in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Sometimes they have beer, but you have to 'ask your manager first". But if you are lucky enough, to get one beer in your overworked, frustrating day, don't forget to take a picture of your beer and tag it as #athenaculture. Just so everyone knows that its a 'cool place to work'.

Cons

Terrible micro managing- Managers are eager to prove they have leadership skills or something, because every email you send, every mistake you make, is heavily scrutinized.
    Overworked- Expect to work 45+ hours a week, especially if you are in Implementation. The turn over in this department is staggering (hence the mass group interviews- get as many bodies on the floor as possible.)
    I have never in my 10+ years experience seen a company that talks so extensively about how amazing and collaborative their culture is, and just does not by any stretch of the imagination, even try to make that a reality. Burn out in the Implementation dept is an acknowledged problem, but as long as you work there for 6+ months, they've gained their ROI and more, so there is no motivation to improve the department.
    They will for the entirety of your tenure, dangle the possibility of moving to a different department or position, but as soon as you think about voicing your opinion on something that could need improvement or preform slightly below their expectations, they will use that knowledge to almost blackmail you until you step back in line. Literally do not tell them your aspirations because it will be used against you.

Advice to Management

I think you know very well everything that is wrong with athena. Maybe its that you grew too fast, or maybe you just don't care because profits are good. Either way, the lack of basic respect and consideration for employees is appalling and will begin to manifest its self in your bottom line and will reflect poorly on your management skills (or lack thereof).

"Run away !"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

Pros

Casual atmosphere. Work from home

Cons

Company tried to run like a small business. People think everything is an emergency! The company tries to act like they care about their employees. Which also shows in their benefits. They are terrible 33% of first 6% for 401k, high cost for bad coverage of health insurance. I've never seen so many people be fired for no reason!! Joke of a place . Promotions are based on what others think about you. Managers are back stabbers.