athenahealth Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
athenahealth Chairman, President, and CEO Jonathan S. Bush
Jonathan S. Bush

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be difficult to achieve without setting boundaries (but possible (in 57 reviews)

• Health Insurance high deductible (in 16 reviews)

"outstanding company"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This has been one of the most challenging work experiences I have yet to go through. The level of pressure and poignance it takes for me to handle my projects, coordinate my clients, and learn new concepts throughout each day has pushed me to want to be my best (and we somehow don't take ourselves that seriously). The energy of the culture and the underlying understanding we share is almost odd, but I would describe our culture as a subtle exciting buzz that so far has applied to 90% of my time here. When I've found myself unhappy with a situation, I've realized in almost all cases that I needed to adjust my perspective. To enjoy your time here, I do think you should have this underlying goal to make yourself better and practice the, albeit corny-sounding, mantra of unconditional positive regard with others (and your projects). I had to be willing to learn constantly and think very critically of my thoughts and assumptions to overcome the challenges of working in health IT. I have only respect for my team, my manager, and the fact that no matter what level someone is in, nobody is perfect and we are all trying. My department's leadership strives to maintain transparency and I can only respect that. I love working here and appreciate how hard it's been at times, but it is so much fun 75% of the time and totally makes up for the tougher spots (let's be honest, at the end of the day it's work and, at least here, you're measured by your ability to adapt and keep going).

For example, at times some of our bigger clients have put a level of pressure on me to deliver go-live critical work within hours that has tested my ability to make quick decisions while minimizing risk and ensuring I carefully chose my words regarding government regulations, technical specs, expectation setting and risk-taking. There are also some days where I spent two hours eating pizza and drinking beers with my teammates while troubleshooting an issue. Some weeks are fine. I have walked late into meetings and have the flexibility to say, "what was this meeting for?". I have the independence to go for hour-long walks to clear my head (or just work from home or apply to work remote). I am trusted here. We take on so much that we do not have the time or need to put undue pressure on each other to be this corporate "perfectionist" that I've seen in my past experiences. If you're willing to adapt to difficult change and (try to) stay sane when things hit the fan (and they will), then you might like it. I know this doesn't apply to every team, but I can sincerely say that every person in my department is awesome to work with. We are all nerds and I love it.

Cons

- subpar health benefits
    - decent pay (but not amazing)
    - we have a long way to go before we can really compete with Epic & Cerner in the hospital space especially
    - we aren't always doing so great financially
    - some teams are not as organized as others
    - some changes can take a while to adapt to

Advice to Management

Our CEO says things that show he may not be as analytical of his own ideas and perspectives as a shrewd leader probably should be. I think leadership should be careful when making decisions and not let excitement get in the way of careful and clever innovation. Part of becoming agile is to take small easily adjustable steps, but I also believe agile respects that we do not ever know the consequences of the next step and the angles we are missing. We are almost always guessing, even when we get a lot of data. In my opinion, strong leaders should be humble and explicit when making decisions and always maintain a sense of self-scrutiny. Be more ready for the 99% of things we didn't see than get all excited and gung-ho about the initiative itself (IMO agile = small frequent low-risk steps). I personally think we do not need only the brashness of a Fortune 500 leader, we are dealing with health information technology, we need more of the acuity of a scientist.

"Incredible Mission; Very Poor Senior Leadership"

Current Employee - Director in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible mission dedicated to building and improving the health information backbone. Smart and dedicated teams and people.

Cons

Senior leadership is a boys club. Senior leaders lack maturity and breadth/depth of leadership experience. As a result, constantly changing priorities and direction.

Advice to Management

Bring in outside experts. Diversify senior leadership ranks; discover that Harvard MBAs aren't always as capable as business leaders.

3. "Best company ever"

Current Employee - Product Owner and Manager in Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Product Owner and Manager in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth (Less than a year)

Pros

I love athenahealth, the culture is awesome, the people are great, the work is rewarding, the benefits are awesome, the pay if fair, the office is modern, and the company is growing! The company rewards initiative and expertise - not titles. You will be challenged every day, you will learn something new every day, and you will get better every day. Check us out - you will like what you see and hopefully help us make healthcare work as it should. :)

Cons

Not all offices get treated equally, and leadership pays more attention to headquarters. Clear and consistent top-down communication is a challenge in a large company like athena that still wants to be in start-up mode.

Advice to Management

You have done an excellent job attracting top-tier talent. Keep it up, focus on equity and work environment, and you will have people willing to go the extra mile for you.

"Experience like none other"

Current Employee - Project Associate, Small Group in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Project Associate, Small Group in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- New HIre Orientation is basically a Vacation to Maine
    - Extensive Training Program
    - Mentor Program
    - Separate People and Territory Managers
    - Company Culture is fantastic
    - Pay is competitive
    - Bonus structure is incredible
    - Lots of additional benefits
    - Great co-workers
    - Unique office spaces

Cons

- Its lots of work, but thats kind of a pro as well. You will be busy.
    - They do seem to hire a certain type of person which is weird, but I will admit I probably fall within that category.

6. "Awesome experience"

Former Employee - AP Manager in Watertown, MA
    Former Employee - AP Manager in Watertown, MA

I worked at athenahealth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They genuinely care about their employees here. They are also very innovative and always looking for ways to improve. The pay is pretty solid and the bonuses are huge.

Cons

Things move quickly and change often. If you get stuck in your ways, this is not the place for you.

7. "Great for Smart, Driven Workers"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Belfast, ME
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Belfast, ME

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun, energetic, friendly culture. Great place to work if you're willing to work hard and drive your own success.

Cons

It's hard to not get dragged into politics. Sometimes decisions made that may affect you are not transparent.

8. "Account Associate"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of schedule flexibility, love the culture

Cons

constant change both internally and externally that is tiresome to communicate and manage

9. "go live"

Former Freelancer - Government Account Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Freelancer - Government Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

great company to work for in atlanta

Cons

salaries are low compared to other companies

10. "Wonderful Company Where One Can Really Grow"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Agent in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Agent in Atlanta, GA

I worked at athenahealth (More than a year)

Pros

This was my first true job after college. athenahealth truly believes that collaboration of all different skill sets really strengthens the company. They are big on internal hiring so it was wonderful to be more than encouraged to explore other departments after working there for a full year. They really truly go above and beyond to make sure their employees are happy and taken care of.

Cons

Their quick growth during my 2 years there made for a bit of chaos management wise but I feel that's typical with any company growing so rapidly.

11. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Belfast, ME
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Belfast, ME

Pros

Great place, solid vision and on the right track

Cons

Sometimes focus could be a priority

Advice to Management

Make sure that the focus articulated at the top transcends ranks.