KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

athenahealth

Engaged Employer

athenahealth

Add a Review

athenahealth Employee Reviews about "management"

Updated Sep 29, 2022

Found 334 of over 1,970 reviews

4.0
athenahealth Chairman and CEO Bob Segert
Bob Segert

What people are saying about athenahealth

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of athenahealth and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Biased, crumbling, good only if it's your first or last jobs (Quality Performance)

Aug 8, 2017 - Quality Performance Associate in Watertown, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Sort of chill environment (or at least attempts to be chill on the surface) - Standing desks - Free food once in a while

Cons

- Very biased towards white towards white people where it's very blatant. The minorities have been leaving at a disproportional rate. They will take advantage of you if you're Asian because they believe you'll work hard and not say anything. - Lack of ANY diversity in management. - Salary, raises, and promotions are unclear. People with no work experience or less education seem to advance faster than those with more experience and education -- we're very confused by why this occurs. - Management are inexperienced and do not care and will only pretend to listen to you. They do not want your input. - Many will tell you that there is NO reason to take on more work. - People literally crying in meetings because of the way management treats employees.

12 people found this review helpful

athenahealth Response

Employee Engagement

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to write this. We do NOT condone any unfair treatment based on race - or any other marker of diversity. We value diversity and all the creativity, innovation, and passion it brings to the workplace. In fact, we're working hard to provide strategy and purpose to our ERG groups, and to ensure that all athenistas have access to the same opportunities. If you have more examples or want to continue the conversation, please email us at askathena@athenahealth.com. In the meantime, we'll be looking into what you've described to see where the issues are -- and then resolve them.

2. 4.0
    Current Employee

Getting better

May 24, 2021 - Customer Success Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. Great benefits, but make sure to get help choosing your healthcare plan. They have an advocate for Transgender healthcare if that’s something you or your family need. Which is cool. Never seen that before. 2. Work life balance depends on team and on you. Mostly good. 3. It’s good that they realize working remote has been a positive impact for many, especially parents, pet parents, people with disabilities...etc. even if that wasn’t something they thought about or think about now. Just something I’ve observed. 4. ERGs—employee resource groups—they have a lot of employees and a good amount of resources to support you. You can find community if you want to, but again, it can depend on the team you work with. 5. Question-centric environment. They encourage you to ask questions. Which is nice and helps break up some fear and apprehension. Just don’t expect consistency in getting help or answers. 6. They are working on diversity and inclusion. You can see the positive impact of it. 7. Wonderful peers. I love my colleagues. All kinds of folks. This job is great because of them.

Cons

1. Lack of salary transparency. Had I known how the role and department are actually functioning, I would’ve negotiated higher when applying and during my earlier time. I’ve since learned there’s severe pay disparity. I know of some senior CS folks making less than folks who are new and of a lower title. That’s unacceptable. Pay equity should be a big part of this company. Salary transparency would allow folks to better get an idea and be able to negotiate better. This is lending to continuing inequity and ruffles feathers across the company. 2. Management is what you expect: mostly white, straight, etc. doesn’t mean they aren’t good at their job, but don’t expect to see minorities or marginalized folks represented at the senior tables. They also don’t show they value the unique experiences for those folks or know how to lead and support them. I feel for management and employees—you’re only as good as the structure. They are working on it, but you don’t get any insight into what “working on it” means. And yes. The Director of D&I is also a black woman. Feels like tokenization of her. If you’re into culture, you can get involved, but I don’t know exactly how. A lot of new folks join ERGs. Those who have been around have a skeptical eye and cautious hope. Just know your colleagues are amazing even when management and senior leadership doesn’t feel that way. 3. It’s a large company and everyone is mostly remote now because of COVID. You won’t be able to meet everyone across the company, so if you like to network, you’re kinda stranded until everyone is back in the office. The office is fantastic FYI. It’s great sitting among peers. But it’s tough because you don’t really get to be with other people. On the other hand, I’ve gotten to know a lot more about my peers in a way I cherish—I think we forget to be real with each other when we are always in the office. Cat and child interruptions happen at least once a week. It’s great. 4. They tend to promote people based on projects and that tends to be outgoing folks. Sucks for the quieter folks with great metrics who also do wonderful work. They aren’t the best with different personalities. 5. They live by their values. Problematically so at times. Especially obsess over customers. There are some really crappy customers who should be terminated because they bully their CSMs. We’d be fired if we spoke to each other that way, but there’s some money hungry capitalism behind every company, so, of course customer support and customer success gets screwed. Both in support and in pay. The pay inequity between engineers and the customer teams is atrocious and offensive. They clearly don’t value people skills like product. 6. You’re limited in promotion. At some point, you’re forced to become a people manager because they don’t make high level project manager roles yet. So. You’ll lose fellow employees who are great project managers but don’t want to or shouldn’t be people managers. And that’s where you can see issues happen at higher levels—people managers who shouldn’t be and aren’t taught well. You’ll likely want to leave if you aren’t people inclined or be forced to change departments.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful
  3. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Over the Hill

Oct 31, 2016 - Associate in Watertown, MA

Pros

Cons

Doesn't Recommend Negative Outlook No opinion of CEO I have been working at athenahealth full-time (More than 3 years) Pros There is a lot of very smart, driven people who care a lot about the work they do at athena. The mission and vision is focused on what health IT should be. Cons Management is lacks experience and participating in office politics seems to be the only way to be promoted recently. The goals set by management are usually unrealistic and un-achievable making it hard for employees to advance or meet the extremely high expectations. The culture used to be innovative, fun, and team-oriented, but it has changed into a more selfish environment with little focus on the mission and vision of athenahealth or its customers.

6 people found this review helpful
  4. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

CSC Analyst

Feb 20, 2018 - Analyst in Belfast, ME
    Business Outlook

Pros

Other than a paycheck most of the Pros have disappeared in the past year due to cost cutting measures. The Fun Days are gone to make investors happy.

Cons

Senior management has totally forgotten about the employees that make the company function and profitable. I fear as well a most of my co-workers do that the company will be sold or acquired by a larger competitor.

5 people found this review helpful