KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

athenahealth

Engaged Employer

athenahealth

Add a Review

athenahealth Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 21, 2021

Found 200 of over 2K reviews

4.2
athenahealth Chairman and CEO Bob Segert
Bob Segert
Pros
  • "good comapany to work with,good work life balance(in 206 reviews)

• "Great culture, People Oriented company with challenging work(in 77 reviews)

• Cons
  • "There has always been a bit of a sacrifice on the work/life balance(in 81 reviews)

• "Senior Leadership tends to micromanage(in 43 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of athenahealth and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great company that is focused on execution

Jan 21, 2021 - Executive Director in Watertown, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

New leadership team is transparent and has earned the respect of the organization through delivering on its promises. The company is now all about action and accountability and welcome change from prior years

Cons

Very few. We are driving hard and fast, so some work life balance issues, but one has the flexibility to manage that on their own

2. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

This company is not what it seems.. don't fall for it

Jul 29, 2020 - Sales Representative in Watertown, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Dogs in the Office Some Great People to work with Travel

Cons

athenahealth makes themselves attractive to recent college grads in their sales department with the front of a sparkling culture, great work/life balance, chance for promotion, and a livable wage. This is all a FRONT. The culture can be extremely toxic with people talking down to you or trying to intimidate you, lying to your face about promotions, making you put in more than the average 40 hours/week and then cutting it from your timecard without saying a word to you, management playing favoritism in a very awkward way that is unprofessional, not answering employee questions without reading off of a script, and throwing you into more useless meetings than you even have time for. They have even put a complete hold to their claim to fame, which is athenaGives (giving our EMR to non-profit clinics in need) and have not been transparent with practices who have been on a waitlist for months. This entire company feels like a cult, not a community. Don't fall into their trap.

7 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0

Great Culture, Old Tech

Jan 13, 2021 - Software Engineer in Watertown, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great work culture - Good compensation - Opportunities to improve old tech - Great work life balance

Cons

- Currently using old tech

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

It keeps getting better!

Oct 29, 2020 - Senior Sales Manager in Watertown, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The team at athena is a highly motivated and engaged team capable of incredible things. The new leadership team has enabled steep growth trajectory. Our clients NPS scores continue to improve. We are fixing healthcare!

Cons

There has always been a bit of a sacrifice on the work/life balance.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee

Grwat place to build career

Nov 24, 2020 - Manager in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance, career developmenr, fun interesting work

Cons

Private equity owned, benefits could be better

6. 5.0

Great place to work

Aug 10, 2020 - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Great company culture -Employee feedback is highly valued -Work/Life balance, flexibility -Co-workers are generally very friendly and treat each other with respect -Strong leadership teams -Very talented co-workers in all geographies

Cons

-Slight favoritism to home office-based employees (Watertown, MA) -Compensation is slightly below-average -Lack of diversity at all levels of leadership -As with most larger companies, it's easier to get to the next level career-wise by looking elsewhere, even for the most productive employees

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Supportive environment for parents, fun atmosphere

Jan 21, 2020 - Senior Manager Marketing in Watertown, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

It might vary by division, but overall the work/life balance is excellent. My manager, division, and colleagues are understanding about family commitments and it is easy to work from home whenever I need to. 3-month maternity leave policy is a plus, and the lactation rooms in the office are great. There is also an athenaParents group that is active and helpful. I don't use it myself, but there is a Bright Horizons daycare sharing our campus, and it is very convenient for many employees. I also enjoy coming to work every day to see colleagues and be in this space. It's an energetic environment, there are dogs everywhere, and the atmosphere feels fun and casual (but everyone still works hard!). Employees are social and engaged. It's a place where you can form true friendships with colleagues.

Cons

There has been a lot of turnover in recent years, including at the executive level. It's led to some frustrations and confusion, but I really believe we are past it now. We're on the right track and I feel optimistic about being here long term. Depending on the division, it can be hard to get promoted, and the same standards are not always applied across the company.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

A lot of internal career opportunity

Jan 9, 2020 - Marketing Manager in Watertown, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are the biggest pro. I am so lucky to work with incredibly smart and hard working colleagues! With this great group comes a lot of networking opportunities internally and the chance to learn new skills and even move into a new role when there is an opening. I have also had great support from my manager during my time here to network and explore both growth within my team and elsewhere in athena. I would also note that my work life balance is great. Though I work hard, and so does my team, I am able to be flexible with my schedule when needed which is great. I have a seen a shift towards consistent leadership and shared values in the company, and am really eager to see the continued growth and development not only of the company as a whole but of my colleagues and friends at athena!

Cons

There has been a lot of change over the past two years, but the company is certainly stabilizing a lot and people seem optimistic. It will be important over the coming months to continue this stability in leadership.

9. 5.0
      Former Employee

Nice place to work

Oct 18, 2020 - Clinical Quality Associate in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work Culture and work life balance

Cons

Nothing In specific. All good

10. 5.0

Fantastic Place to Work

Oct 14, 2020 - Senior Manager in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Phenomenal work-life balance Transparent leadership Wonderful, intelligent coworkers

Cons

Promotions can be political High deductible health plan

Viewing 1 - 10 of 200 Reviews