betterworks Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
betterworks CEO and Executive Chairman Doug Dennerline
Doug Dennerline

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance is incredible" (in 4 reviews)

• "Great product with a great future ahead" (in 6 reviews)

"Something Special"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at betterworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) THE CULTURE
    I think there are three things that make work rewarding:

A) Opportunities to grow, and achieve mastery in your field.
    B) Achieving impact at your company, in your field, and in the world.
    C) Great relationships and community at work to also be able to support others in their growth and impact.

In my experience, if you can get even one of those factors at work, you've got a pretty good thing going. The reason I titled this review "something special" is because in over two years at Betterworks, each of those things were always there. I've always felt like I was growing; impacting; and part of a community at work. On the topic of community, I can't tell you how special the people are here. It's not just camaraderie, or people being collaborative, fun, etc. Those things are nice, but not energizing on their own. I think at Betterworks, those things are combined with stretching-for-amazing, and growing together. There's just a very special energy. That's always been a key part of the Betterworks experience; lightning struck when this company was created.

2) THE COMPANY & MARKET OPPORTUNITY
    We're a B2B SaaS company in the human resources space. If you follow some of the thought leadership out there on this space, you know that corporations have been struggling with performance, employee development and retention for decades. No firm has cracked the code for those things, which is a very exciting market opportunity. HR software is an 8% CAGR, $16B dollar market. HR software is classified as critical business software, so there's steady demand. What's exciting to me is that if the market shells out $16B dollars a year for essentially commodity transactional HR software, what will the market shell out for HR software that really cracks the code on making work more rewarding for people? Massive opportunity.

We're backed by KPCB and specifically John Doerr (John is very active and on our board), and we have an advisory board that's second to none and includes Josh Bersin. Our CEO, Doug Dennerline was previously the president of SuccessFactors, the performance management software market leader. Additionally, there are other key SuccessFactors folks who have come over to Betterworks.

SUMMARY:
    Hopefully this gives you a better idea of our culture, our business, and how we're poised in the market. I think Betterworks is a good match for people who value growth and being an integral part of a team—with a lot of emphasis on "team."

Cons

Every company has its ups and downs, and growing pains. Our company is no exception, but I don't think there are any critical flaws about working here that warrant a categorical "con about Betterworks".

Advice to Management

1) Whatever you do, don't ever let the Betterworks culture fade. Water that garden every day (literally ever day).
    2) Continue to hire folks into Betterworks that deeply value teamwork, and helping others shine.
    3) Spend as much as you possibly can to invest in the above two points (especially #1), and then figure out how to invest even more.

"Jurassic Park"

I have been working at betterworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to see dinosaurs everyday!

Cons

They are real. And slow. And outdated.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on whiteboard walls that are not clean. THIS ISN'T THE PROBLEM.

"A rollercoaster with upside"

Current Employee - Manager, Solutions Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager, Solutions Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at betterworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been here for almost 4 years and have been through the entire rollercoaster of this company. To be honest, the last year and a half have been hard. We lost a lot of great people and there was a lot of change with the leadership team and the product. But in the last six months, I can honestly say things are on the upside. Hiring is slowly but surely picking up. We're closing some amazing logos. The product is moving in a positive direction. A couple of things that have kept me here:

- Work-life integration: The company trusts you to get your job done whether it's in the office or at home.

- Autonomy and Innovation: This might not be the case on every team, but I push for this on mine. Outside of your day to day responsibilities, we support you stretching yourself to continue to improve your development and the company's developments.

- Support: People here, genuinely care about each other. They understand that if they support and help each other it will benefit the company as a whole. People are always willing to go out of their way to help each other.

- Doug listens: Maybe it's because I've been here for while, but I've always found that I can be honest to Doug with what I'm seeing and he listens and does take action.

Cons

I wouldn't necessarily call these cons because honestly, these are pains that all startups run into these at one point or another.

- New Leadership team. It's taken them a few months to get their teams in place and to get their strategy going, but we live in a fast-paced industry, so there have been times folks have felt like we aren't moving fast enough.

- Better alignment. With the new strategy and a host of new changes, it can feel at times we're going a hundred different directions. We need to constantly revisit and show why we're going the direction we're going.

Advice to Management

- Talk to your employees, both the long-term veterans and the new betterworkers. Great ideas come from many sources. We need to tap into the talent we have.
    - We're getting there, but more transparency. We have smart people. We'll work hard, but we just want to know the why behind what we are doing and the direction we are going.

"Amazing People"

I have been working at betterworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Amazing coworkers, the people are what makes the company such a positive environment
    - Company prioritizes your feedback & opinions. I've never had a management team so open to feedback and willing to listen to concerns down the chain. I feel comfortable approaching anyone in the org for support or advice.
    - Great mission - I feel very connected to the value we're adding to businesses and am excited coming to work everyday
    - Competitive pay & generous bonus structure (feels like management wants you to hit your numbers and achieve your max payout)
    - Flexible work/ life balance understanding

Cons

- Work from SF policy used to be 50% time, it's lessened

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing feedback culture. Continue to work to promote from within, we want to keep our top talent!

"A Realistic Startup Experience"

I worked at betterworks full-time

Pros

- Solid engineering staff and engineering principles.
    The developer workflow and ease of use on toolings are phenomenal for a team of its size; You will learn to write quality code and have a rationale behind your code down to each line.
    - People are friendly and eager to help.
    - Typical startup free meals, transportation, ping-pong, and (surprisingly) good WLB.

Cons

As a non-unicorn startup, Betterworks has all the uncertainty and struggle such as:
    - messy product directions.
    - no clear path to success in terms of growing the revenue.
    - facing competitions in terms of product differentiation and recruiting.

A someone who's been working there for a while:
    - some aspects of the existing comp plan favored new hires over tenured employees and severely hindered upside.

Advice to Management

- Talk to your employees and act fast.
    - At Bay Area in today's market, you have to think hard and do more to retain/attract talents.

"Engagement Manager"

Former Employee - Engagement Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Engagement Manager in New York, NY

I worked at betterworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was a part of the New York team at betterworks and I cannot say enough good things about the people I used to work with. Everyone there is super fun, but also hyper focused on making that company successful. It really feels like a family. Great work life balance and you can get the support you need from your managers, which ultimately what you'd expect from a company focused on continuous performance management.

Cons

The cons of the company are the negative press that has happened around the former CEO and the dropoff and distraction that came of it. A great team became broken, but it is on the mend.

Advice to Management

Most of your employees have been here longer than you have. Listen to what they have to say.

"Runaway train going off a cliff"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at betterworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a lot of free food, I guess... Just not a lot of quality food. There used to be more perks 18 months ago with outings, fun socializing, etc but then it ended shortly after the sexual harassment lawsuit came out. There were 3 months that had some event going on every Friday. That is long gone.

Cons

Endless cons. In terms of engineering, it went from ~25 engineers to <10. They're trying to hire now with bottom of the barrel standards and their pay is going to go along with that. There wasn't a single month that someone wasn't quitting for over a year and not a single hire in that time. They stopped hiring, kept firing people, and then managed everyone into a position so unpleasant that they all quit out of frustration. Most everyone in that department is very happy that they left.

If you're an engineer, avoid at all costs. The rest of the company is also a bit bitter but a lot of people stay with the job because they just want to climb some weird ladder and/or they're desperate. Sadly, many don't know anything better. Management does and takes advantage of the situation.

Management overall is very bad. It used to be better at the bottom but wasn't ever good near the top. Unfortunately, I think this company will never reward those who actually do good work. See: Sales. They've missed every target for years and continually get rewards. So I guess a great place to coast as a sales person.

It has been known internally at the company that the positive reviews on here are fake/fluff. There are people who posted positive reviews here because they knew it would get them favors with management. Guess what though - those people *still* left.

Avoid at all costs! I know a lot of people out there are in desperate times and looking for any kind of job but you should entirely reconsider!

Advice to Management

Retire. You're rich already. You've ruined enough lives.

"I just left"

Former Employee - Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I worked at betterworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its hard to give a positive, but theres free food, train, and the peeps (excludes management) I worked with were great.

Cons

They can't pay engineers a real salary. They're too busy figuring out paint and carpet colors. They're willing to spend so much money on office renovations instead of paying us actual livable salaries in the Bay Area. We are a startup, no one actually cares about paint. We care about being paid a livable salary. One guy is living pay check to pay check and I heard a girl was living in a garage. Its not the startup life that I had hoped it would be. The Sales team haven't met quota for TWO years. All of us are leaving, theres no point in joining when no one is around to build a product. Leadership is at its absolute worst right now.

Advice to Management

Pay us livable salaries. We live in the Bay Area.

"Keep Looking"

Current Employee - Engagement Specialist in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Engagement Specialist in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at betterworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is an insane amount of free food. Can make breakfast, lunch is delivered and dinner is also delivered.

Cons

1. Management is antiquated.
    2. Micromanagement from the very top of the exec team.
    3. Sales team are racist.
    4. No diversity in the management and exec team. They're all white.
    5. No fun events.
    6. They are really struggling to hire engineers.
    7. The HR team is non existent. Its HR software that we sell. No transparency.
    8. Underpaid. Can't match market salaries.
    9. Gave everyone retention bonus' except me.

Advice to Management

1. Listen to your employees. Trust that they have the best interest of the company and let them be autonomous. The micromanagement is driving other people to leave.
    2. Full transparency.

"Getting back on track"

Current Employee - Sales Operations in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Operations in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at betterworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been with the company for just over a year working in operations and have seen the good and the bad throughout the past year. It's true that Betterworks had a rough year, but there are clear signs that the company is back on track with new management and great content coming out from John Doerr's new book - "Measure What Matters".

The people on the team are great and seem eager to grow the business and put the past behind us. New senior management seems very capable and I believe they can take us to the next level.

Flexible work schedule and WFH policy is great when you have lots of things to juggle in life as well.

Cons

-Tough Past Year
    -High Turnover (turnover is slowing down)
    - Not back to 100% full steam ahead