betterworks Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
betterworks CEO and Executive Chairman Doug Dennerline
Doug Dennerline

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work life balance is incredible" (in 4 reviews)

• "Great product with a great future ahead" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "LOTS of change on a month-to-month basis" (in 3 reviews)

• "Work/life balance could easily get thrown into the wind if you aren't strong willed about it" (in 2 reviews)

"Getting back on track"

Current Employee - Sales Operations in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Operations in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at betterworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been with the company for just over a year working in operations and have seen the good and the bad throughout the past year. It's true that Betterworks had a rough year, but there are clear signs that the company is back on track with new management and great content coming out from John Doerr's new book - "Measure What Matters".

The people on the team are great and seem eager to grow the business and put the past behind us. New senior management seems very capable and I believe they can take us to the next level.

Flexible work schedule and WFH policy is great when you have lots of things to juggle in life as well.

Cons

-Tough Past Year
    -High Turnover (turnover is slowing down)
    - Not back to 100% full steam ahead

2. "Engagement Manager"

Former Employee - Engagement Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Engagement Manager in New York, NY

I worked at betterworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I was a part of the New York team at betterworks and I cannot say enough good things about the people I used to work with. Everyone there is super fun, but also hyper focused on making that company successful. It really feels like a family. Great work life balance and you can get the support you need from your managers, which ultimately what you'd expect from a company focused on continuous performance management.

Cons

The cons of the company are the negative press that has happened around the former CEO and the dropoff and distraction that came of it. A great team became broken, but it is on the mend.

Advice to Management

Most of your employees have been here longer than you have. Listen to what they have to say.

"Great Things are Coming!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at betterworks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cross-functioning teams, people truly work together as a company, as a whole.
    You are given the freedom to ask any questions and provide feedback to anyone in the company.
    The product is useful and is used in the company, so each employee contractor to full time are brand ambassadors.
    Benefits are great!
    FREE lunch Monday to Friday!
    Happy Hours/team events are welcome.

Cons

Need more people who have lots of energy. Sometimes feels too quiet in the office.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the company and the employees so the company can grow and become the industry leader! We got this.

"The dark ages are ending...we're making a comeback in full force"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at betterworks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For the record, I wasn't incentivized by any means to write this review. I'm only doing this because the people who haven't joined our team are simply missing out imo. In my past few months of employment, I can tell you this. We have a generous benefits package, very flexible work schedule, the people still here believe in the product, the camaraderie is strong, the (RWC office) is close to Caltrain, and the product is easy to sell. Our product is gaining traction in the HCM realm and is getting more coverage in the books and media. It will only get bigger from here. There's a lot to be done and a lot of potential to grow your career here. Work hard, play hard is the name of the game at this company. We have an amazing product and the lack of leadership roles that people once complained about are finally getting filled. The new CEO has a good network and has been around the block to know what he's doing. We eat our own Dogfood here too.

Cons

The company had a tough past year and lost a lot of good people through the chaos. We're leaving that era behind now. The ones still here are determined to drive us back onto the spotlight.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring for good talent and keep getting our company traction in the media. We have a solid product. Keep investing in your employees. Don't stop. We gotta re-energize the culture in the West Coast office. I know its coming but don't lose sight of that.

"Sales Management"

I worked at betterworks full-time

Pros

- Lot of camaraderie and office perks
    - Culture is good, despite all the negative press

Cons

- B players
    - Leadership is sub-par, and new CEO does not raise the bar

"All the best people have already left"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at betterworks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexibility (because they are scared of losing more employees)

Cons

boring job, leadership team is going downhill

Advice to Management

focus on the employees you already have or they'll just keep leaving

"Very solid but boring company"

I worked at betterworks full-time

Pros

Great developer workflow, infrastructure. They have very knowledgable and friendly people and you can learn a lot here. Strong code quality.

Cons

Working here was boring and stressful. I was sandboxed into whatever was most useful for the company and didn't grow beyond that. I didn't have many opportunities to explore useful or exciting avenues. The office is sad.

Advice to Management

I really don't know how to improve or change the issues that BetterWorks has. They need to make it fun to work here rather than soul-crushing.

"Excellent culture and product is awesome!"

I have been working at betterworks full-time

Pros

I recently started working here and I have to say it is own of the best cultures I have worked in. Product is awesome!

Cons

Not much - just a high growth company that needs to ensure operations can keep up with the growth

"Amateur night"

I worked at betterworks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some truly passionate people here who are dedicated, but most left

Cons

I am glad I left this place. After the departure of many senior staffs, the organization is now in disarray and many people are scrambling for the exit. Management has made it into a sweat shop. Since they are bleeding talent, they pretty much squeeze every living breath out of the remaining, making it modern slavery. There are many inexperienced people, this is their first or second job from another startup and they have no idea what experienced organization looks like. Stay away! Unless you're a nature born slave.

Advice to Management

Hire less and better people and pay them well and treat them fair

"Still a big opportunity with a bright future ahead"

I have been working at betterworks full-time

Pros

- The market opportunity is significant (a must have for every company!)
    - The product is highly differentiated in the market
    - Focused on diversity & inclusion (to the company's credit, there has always been a focus here - genuine and not reactive).
    - Highly collaborative work across all departments - marketing, sales, engineering, product, customer success, senior management, etc.
    - A lot of very smart, good people, committed to the employees and company success
    - Great benefits packages and overall employee happiness perks, including money for tuition reimbursement
    - The company, people, and the culture IS NOT what has been falsely portrayed in the press from last summer
    - A lot of amazing customers that get a lot of value from the product

Cons

- Press from the summer was a huge distraction for employees and the business
    - There are still some employees that choose to be a part of the problem than solution
    - Redwood City location is not ideal for employees living in SF but very convenient to Cal Train