betterworks "growing pains" Reviews | Glassdoor

betterworks Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated 10 de Nov 2018

3.7
betterworks CEO Doug Dennerline
Doug Dennerline
Pros
  • "Great product that delivers benefits to organizations(in 6 reviews)

• "Our CEO, Doug Dennerline was previously the president of SuccessFactors, the performance management software market leader(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Every company has its ups and downs, and growing pains(in 3 reviews)

• "Usual growing pains of a high-growth start-up(in 3 reviews)

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews

"Something Special"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at betterworks full-time for more than a year

Pros

1) THE CULTURE I think there are three things that make work rewarding: A) Opportunities to grow, and achieve mastery in your field. B) Achieving impact at your company, in your field, and in the world. C) Great relationships and community at work to also be able to support others in their growth and impact. In my experience, if you can get even one of those factors at work, you've got a pretty good... thing going. The reason I titled this review "something special" is because in over two years at Betterworks, each of those things were always there. I've always felt like I was growing; impacting; and part of a community at work. On the topic of community, I can't tell you how special the people are here. It's not just camaraderie, or people being collaborative, fun, etc. Those things are nice, but not energizing on their own. I think at Betterworks, those things are combined with stretching-for-amazing, and growing together. There's just a very special energy. That's always been a key part of the Betterworks experience; lightning struck when this company was created. 2) THE COMPANY & MARKET OPPORTUNITY We're a B2B SaaS company in the human resources space. If you follow some of the thought leadership out there on this space, you know that corporations have been struggling with performance, employee development and retention for decades. No firm has cracked the code for those things, which is a very exciting market opportunity. HR software is an 8% CAGR, $16B dollar market. HR software is classified as critical business software, so there's steady demand. What's exciting to me is that if the market shells out $16B dollars a year for essentially commodity transactional HR software, what will the market shell out for HR software that really cracks the code on making work more rewarding for people? Massive opportunity. We're backed by KPCB and specifically John Doerr (John is very active and on our board), and we have an advisory board that's second to none and includes Josh Bersin. Our CEO, Doug Dennerline was previously the president of SuccessFactors, the performance management software market leader. Additionally, there are other key SuccessFactors folks who have come over to Betterworks. SUMMARY: Hopefully this gives you a better idea of our culture, our business, and how we're poised in the market. I think Betterworks is a good match for people who value growth and being an integral part of a team—with a lot of emphasis on "team."

Cons

Every company has its ups and downs, and growing pains. Our company is no exception, but I don't think there are any critical flaws about working here that warrant a categorical "con about Betterworks".

Advice to Management

1) Whatever you do, don't ever let the Betterworks culture fade. Water that garden every day (literally ever day). 2) Continue to hire folks into Betterworks that deeply value teamwork, and helping others shine. 3) Spend as much as you possibly can to invest in the above two points (especially #1), and then figure out how to invest even more.

betterworks2018-11-10

"Amazing team + Amazing product = Awesome company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at betterworks full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Amazing team. There is so much cross-functional collaboration on a day-to-day basis it's awesome. People truly care about the health of the company and genuinely are happy to see other's success. - Great product and mission - love that our product is helping people win at work, and touches the lives of many. - Fantastic benefits - above market pay, free commuter pass, free daily lunch, free snacks, free health... benefits, 401K, team events, trips to HQ in the Bay area... makes for happier employees.

Cons

- Usual growing pains of a high-growth start-up. LOTS of change on a month-to-month basis. - Career path may not necessarily be clear, but the people team is currently working on helping all employees map their careers here. On the flip side, the ambiguity encourages people to be proactive about their own careers.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire well and don't lose sight of the core company values that brought us to where we are today.

betterworks2017-03-21

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at betterworks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart people, friendly open culture and lots of trust in cross-functional teams. This company is on its way up and will undoubtedly be successful.

Cons

Just the usual growing pains of any new company, as the company grows it'll be hard to stay strongly connected to other departments. But the new opportunity arises for people to just make new friends with the new faces.

Advice to Management

Try to pay attention to the happiness levels of the employees, make sure they're being challenged and heard.

betterworks2016-08-09