betterworks "performance management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

betterworks Employee Reviews about "performance management"

Updated Apr 25, 2019

3.7
betterworks CEO Doug Dennerline
Doug Dennerline
Pros
  • "Great product that delivers benefits to organizations(in 6 reviews)

• "Our CEO, Doug Dennerline was previously the president of SuccessFactors, the performance management software market leader(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Every company has its ups and downs, and growing pains(in 3 reviews)

• "Usual growing pains of a high-growth start-up(in 3 reviews)

Reviews about "performance management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. Featured Review

"Amazing leadership team and opportunity to shape a new market"

I have been working at betterworks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun collaborative culture and passionate about agile performance management and disrupting the traditional outdated performance review model. The company is growing fast and offers great opportunities to build best practices within functions and make a large impact. Everyone works hard and has fun doing it!

Cons

The pace is fast and you always have your foot on the gas. Sometimes you have to work with limited resources and do the best you can with what you have versus everything being 100% perfect.

Advice to Management

Set realistic goals and communicate often

betterworks2019-04-25

"Something Special"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at betterworks full-time for more than a year

Pros

1) THE CULTURE I think there are three things that make work rewarding: A) Opportunities to grow, and achieve mastery in your field. B) Achieving impact at your company, in your field, and in the world. C) Great relationships and community at work to also be able to support others in their growth and impact. In my experience, if you can get even one of those factors at work, you've got a pretty good... thing going. The reason I titled this review "something special" is because in over two years at Betterworks, each of those things were always there. I've always felt like I was growing; impacting; and part of a community at work. On the topic of community, I can't tell you how special the people are here. It's not just camaraderie, or people being collaborative, fun, etc. Those things are nice, but not energizing on their own. I think at Betterworks, those things are combined with stretching-for-amazing, and growing together. There's just a very special energy. That's always been a key part of the Betterworks experience; lightning struck when this company was created. 2) THE COMPANY & MARKET OPPORTUNITY We're a B2B SaaS company in the human resources space. If you follow some of the thought leadership out there on this space, you know that corporations have been struggling with performance, employee development and retention for decades. No firm has cracked the code for those things, which is a very exciting market opportunity. HR software is an 8% CAGR, $16B dollar market. HR software is classified as critical business software, so there's steady demand. What's exciting to me is that if the market shells out $16B dollars a year for essentially commodity transactional HR software, what will the market shell out for HR software that really cracks the code on making work more rewarding for people? Massive opportunity. We're backed by KPCB and specifically John Doerr (John is very active and on our board), and we have an advisory board that's second to none and includes Josh Bersin. Our CEO, Doug Dennerline was previously the president of SuccessFactors, the performance management software market leader. Additionally, there are other key SuccessFactors folks who have come over to Betterworks. SUMMARY: Hopefully this gives you a better idea of our culture, our business, and how we're poised in the market. I think Betterworks is a good match for people who value growth and being an integral part of a team—with a lot of emphasis on "team."

Cons

Every company has its ups and downs, and growing pains. Our company is no exception, but I don't think there are any critical flaws about working here that warrant a categorical "con about Betterworks".

Advice to Management

1) Whatever you do, don't ever let the Betterworks culture fade. Water that garden every day (literally ever day). 2) Continue to hire folks into Betterworks that deeply value teamwork, and helping others shine. 3) Spend as much as you possibly can to invest in the above two points (especially #1), and then figure out how to invest even more.

betterworks2018-11-10

"Engagement Manager"

Former Employee - Engagement Manager in New York, NY

I worked at betterworks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I was a part of the New York team at betterworks and I cannot say enough good things about the people I used to work with. Everyone there is super fun, but also hyper focused on making that company successful. It really feels like a family. Great work life balance and you can get the support you need from your managers, which ultimately what you'd expect from a company focused on continuous performance management.

Cons

The cons of the company are the negative press that has happened around the former CEO and the dropoff and distraction that came of it. A great team became broken, but it is on the mend.

Advice to Management

Most of your employees have been here longer than you have. Listen to what they have to say.

betterworks2018-10-05

"great company"

Current Employee - Biz Ops in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at betterworks full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great coworkers - Large market opportunity in HR 2.0 space - Free lunch and dinner - Company is agile - Software empowers modern and progressive performance management practices - A lot of transparency - Executive coaching available for managers - Lots of different type of company activities

Cons

Can't think of any cons

Advice to Management

Stay agile and customer focused

betterworks2017-04-27
  5. "Had two tough quarters in 2016, coming back strong in 2017"

I have been working at betterworks full-time

Pros

- continuous performance management product line doing so much better than just OKR - feedback product line is shipping on time and continuing to get love every month - focused on execution in all teams

Cons

- leadership turnover recently - entering a competitive HR market, need to be able to differentiate meaningfully beyond just a pretty UI

Advice to Management

focus on recruiting and retaining the top performers who can make the most difference to bringing the company back on track

betterworks2017-03-13