bisco industries Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Glen Ceiley

Pros
  • This is my first desk job, Monday thru Friday 8-5 (in 19 reviews)

• Solid base pay for entry level sales (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • As with all companies there are negatives their old computer system was out dated but they were working on a new version when I left (in 23 reviews)

• upper management does not usually take suggestions from middle or lower levels (in 18 reviews)

"Bisco Industries"

I worked at bisco industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are awesome and when you hit sale quotas, the bonus are great. Inside and outside sales is a plus too!

Cons

Cold calling and calling leads that are dead in the water.

Advice to Management

My management team was awesome and couldn't have asked for a better team.

"Sales Level 3"

Former Employee - Sales Level III in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Level III in Huntsville, AL

I worked at bisco industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great training program to get you started in the Bisco process.

Cons

None that I can think of at the moment. Enjoyed my time at Bisco.

"Negative Experience"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Englewood, CO

I worked at bisco industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a paycheck and they pay weekly. You can learn what not to do in a business.

Cons

I saw a company that micromanaged. Required high amount hours which as a new sales rep meant the wage went down to $10hr and not much room for commission. Definitely no room for growth; the business has been around long enough that it has made a small niche, but poorly run it can't grow and all the senior salespeople have the only sustainable accounts.

Advice to Management

Be ethical especially in front of new employees. I shouldn't hear or see actions that are questionable.

"Sales, sales manager"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Anaheim, CA

Pros

Great company to work for if you are hard working and dedicated. Constantly growing and great Room for advancement.

Cons

As with all companies there are negatives their old computer system was out dated but they were working on a new version when I left.

"Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at bisco industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

good benefits
    you do not have to work late
    potential for good bonuses
    cool coworkers
    Computer system finally updated

Cons

support departments do not have incentive to keep customers happy
    upper management does not usually take suggestions from middle or lower levels.
    if you do not get hired into an active desk you will probably struggle.
    There is a lot of quality stuff to learn. They have one guy for this that is actually really good at the job and very knowledgeable. The only problem is that he has to travel a lot for work. It would be nice if they had two full on experts in quality so you could always get your questions answered if you are not sure on things. It can be very easy to damage a relationship if a quality issue arises.

Advice to Management

Do away with the peer group review. if you find out you were last place and do not get a raise for that year it is demoralizing. There has to be a more constructive way to review people without telling them they scored dead last. I guess it is sales though... So it is what it is.

"You get out what you put in"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Anaheim, CA

Pros

Flexible schedule if you prove yourself as a dependable and productive worker. 2 hours of flex time if needed during the week to take care of doctors appointments, parent teacher conferences, etc. The two hours is not to be abused but it's nice the company acknowledges people have stuff to take care of in their personal lives.
    Great benefits at a low cost compared to many companies. Awesome insurance plan if you need to insure a spouse and children. Great vacation and sick time plans. Vacation time increases as your years increase with the company.
    Never required to work long hours or overtime.
    Decent bonus potential depending on how hard you can work accounts. You MUST work hard though. This is true for most sales jobs.
    The company has recently invested heavily in their computer system and hardware. The company is beginning to reap the benefits of streamlined software and a more user friendly system.
    The company tries to do some fun things like have a Carls Jr. lunch truck come to the office, pizza party's for sales milestones, pot lucks around the holidays, trivia games with prizes etc. If a sales team has a good month it's routine for the manager to take their team to a nice lunch out. I have read some reviews on here complaining about the lack of activies. This is flat out false. This is a job people. There are clear expectations. Everyday is not social hour. Having said that, there are a fair amount of events throughout the year for the staff to spice things up. There are far worse places you can work.

Cons

Absolutely true that many support departments have to be followed up on by sales or things will not get done. This is my number one gripe after years of employment here. Sales makes the wheel turn, 100%.
    Getting hired on in sales can be a crap shoot. One person may come on to an active portfolio of accounts, another person may start from the ground floor with zero activity. Most all managers will be clear about this in the interview process and do their best to describe the situation they will inherit. I can't tell you how many new hires tell me they are fine making cold calls and working cold accounts and once hired and expected to do it they balk at it and complain. WE TOLD YOU DURING THE INTERVIEW. Having said that, it's tough for new hires to see one person set up in a cozier situation than maybe they are. But hey, no one said life is fair.
    This is a numbers company. If you perform, you will be rewarded. If you don't perform, there will be consequences.
    Very much a chain of command management structure. Not a lot of room for flowing ideas upstream. Word will come down from upper management, and that's the way it goes.

Advice to Management

Take more suggestions from your front line sales managers and long term employees. Even an anonymous suggestions email address would be helpful. Many employees have ideas on how to improve morale and efficiency. Although we’ve not reached the ranks of upper management there is still a wealth of experience and knowledge you can draw upon to better the organization.

Do more to help struggling sales people, perhaps even implementing a mentor program pairing young new sales people with a trainer who was successful in sales. Many people just need some more one on one help and many sales managers are too busy trying to sell and manage a team to give them that needed attention.

"Worst working experience i have ever had"

Former Employee - Management Trainee in Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in Anaheim, CA

I worked at bisco industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are none. Absolutely none.
    Actually there are 2 bathrooms, so that's nice? Seriously, that's the only pro...

Cons

Micro micro micro managed.
    Zero freedom for anything. Lunch is strictly 12-1 (let that sink in)
    Zero trust.
    Good work by sales gets you a Costco Pizza Party...
    They don't care at all about you...

Advice to Management

Thanks for firing me for doing my job. I am now happily employed and rising through my career.

You guys truly taught me how to NOT run a business. It's truly laughable what is going on there.

bisco industries Response

Aug 9, 2016 – Corporate Recruiter & Employee Development

It’s unfortunate that your experience with our organization proved to be such a negative one. We have over 150 employees at this facility with quite an extended tenure. There seems to be a large ... More

9. "Account Manager"

Former Employee - International Account Manager in Norwalk, CA
    Former Employee - International Account Manager in Norwalk, CA

I worked at bisco industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most days at corporate were casual days

Cons

May need to work longer hours

"Difficult & demanding"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at bisco industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots to learn, massive product line. good first job for new grad to get their feet wet.

Cons

Daily quotas, high turnover, revolving door so customers are frustrated with never having the same rep twice.

Advice to Management

Back off on daily quotas

"Just Say No"

I worked at bisco industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I got paid every week. Hours are 8 to 5 and not a second before or after that. There are some truly great people to work with if you're on the right team.

Cons

The computer system: Everybody says the computer system is a con and they're 100% spot on. Most of the sales training actually consists of how to use their outdated system.

Lack of bonus: I once quadrupled my sales goals (that's right, 4X's over) and you know what my bonus was? $17. You read that correctly. Anyone considering a serious career in sales would be insulted by their bonus structure.

Poor Management: company policies are enforced (and sometimes made up) by sales managers. One manager can be extremely lax and flexible while others can be micromanaging dictators and make it impossible to do your job, and you will get zero support from upper management if you have issues with them. They don't have the power to fire you but they can make you look bad enough to warrant firing you. Things happen on some teams that are perfectly fine, and then when (not if) you get a new manager they can get you fired for it. No, I'm not exaggerating.

No Tools: you start out with almost nothing. You only inherit accounts; there is zero prospecting. Your list of customers is guaranteed to be outdated and every lead cold. If your manager likes you and/or you're there long enough you can inherit a strong, active account. Look around the room: do you see people who have been in their same position 5-10 years + and who hit their goals every month without trying? They inherited their success, and you can too. But that's the only way to succeed here.

And one last thing: you WILL spend more time sourcing impossible-to-find products for your customers' quotes rather than making sales. A lot more time.

Advice to Management

Stop letting sales managers dictate company policy, implement an actual bonus structure (yes, get rid of output system), implement technology from the 21st century and don't be afraid of change. Never fear change: there's a reason why the competition is thriving and it's because they embraced the 21st century rather than fear it.

bisco industries Response

Jul 15, 2016 – Corporate Recruiter & Employee Development

I'm sorry that your time with us was short, if given a chance I think your experience would have been better. Our goal structure is setup low to start and increases slowly each month from hire, given ... More