blinkx Reviews | Glassdoor

"Great Company!"

Current Employee - Software Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great working environment with flexible work life balance, which is good for my family life. Good pay and benefits. I really feel part of the team, and it was clear my work is appreciated and my hard efforts do go rewarded.

I have found my team leaders/management to be both responsive and helpful. So am not sure why so many reviews here are so negative.

Blinkx has many exciting products and is being well lead by senior management (even if the current mood of investors is very negative towards the company, it is not so for those of us working here).

Cons

Expect employees to work hard. So if this is not you then you may find life hard.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. I expect our hard work will bear fruit shortly.

Oct 10, 2014 – Human Resources

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We are happy to hear you feel part of the team! We strive to create a great team that works together. Our challenges make us stronger and as you... More

2. "Likely takeover target for Yahoo"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great near future possibilities for us employees. There is a certain buzz around the office with Yahoo in takeover discussions with our parent company Blinkx PLC. The possibilities will be endless if as expected Yahoo buys Blinkx.

Cons

Long hours work life balance are a little tricky sometimes.

Advice to Management

Share more with staff and more regular updates. Stock options for Blinkx would be nice.

"Not worthy of your talent"

Former Employee - Technical in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Technical in Seattle, WA

I worked at blinkx full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, paid holidays, vacation time.

Cons

Lack of vision and leadership and desperation in product development are the norm at this place. At one point management said the only message from the CEO was "revenue needs to go up, and costs need to go down." That is not leadership. Basically it seems that management has a suite of old, disliked products that are considered annoyances to most users and Internet companies and instead of trying to innovate a new direction on the model, they are simply patching and reshaping the old stuff in a desperate attempt to keep them ticking. It's a dying strategy. Most of management's role seems to be to watch graphs and say "fix it now!" when the numbers aren't what they want.

Advice to Management

Leadership comes from the top, not trying to force your employees to come up with "get rich quick" ideas or patching your already disliked products to squeak out one more month of life. Punishing your best employees by taking away their bonuses that they depend on is a bad idea. Recognize the talent of your employees and their dedication to getting it right, not just looking at numbers and screaming. If this is the way you want to do it, you would be better off just acquiring whatever works in the market, and outsourcing its maintenance until you run it into the ground, and then look for the next one.

Oct 10, 2014 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. Blinkx strives to ensure a positive work environment for all of its employees and takes your constructive criticism very seriously. If you’d like to discuss further... More

4. "Fast paced busy but great working environment"

Current Employee - Advertising Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Advertising Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at blinkx full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A very fast and growing company with very clear focus and targets. Amazing product line and colleagues watch this space grab media is going to be huge and I am exited to be a part of it's future.

Cons

Because grab is growing so fast we may be taken over by someone like yahoo or WPP which can provide some uncertainty.

Advice to Management

Continue providing staff clear targets

5. "how is it to work at blinkx"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than a year)

Pros

convinient, nice location, great office space

Cons

salary, stock in really bad state

Jul 23, 2014 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoy the office environment. We are always open to additional feedback. Please feel free to reach out to blinkxcares@blinkx.com and an HR... More

"You'll gain experience here.. because you literally have to think on your feet and fix everything that breaks each week."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work-life balance is great, making your own hours, even though you're expected to work weekends... The office culture is split into two. Once someone has pass the 4/5 year mark, you're in with the "good ol boys" group. Free snacks in the kitchen... nothing but junk food. Want to learn a new skill in a hurry? Great because there's always something that's been broken for weeks...years... and it needs to be fixed now.

Cons

Please read the comments below the last 3. True wisdom is there and please run.. RUN. You're on your own after a few months. Not much help or praise is given, a half smile "good job" here or there or "thanks". Then back to work. You're paid next to nothing, and they know it- this is something they're proud of! It's an office full of desperation.... While you look at your co-workers in pity knowing all the hard work they put in for the less than measly pay given. Expect yearly cuts in any bonus, mbos, etc. Forget about an increase in salary or growing with the company in any way shape or form.. except for when others start to leave. They won't hire someone to replace them.... That's now your responsibility. Expect to wear many hats and deal with "that's not my job" and "we have to get this done so stay late" types in the office.

Advice to Management

Validate your employees hard work. Pay them what they're worth. Be loyal to them and the favor will return.

Jul 10, 2014 – Human Resources

I am sorry you are having a negative experience at blinkx. Over the past 10 years we have worked tirelessly to make this a great place to come to work. We are extremely proud of the company and... More

"Don't waste your time or talent"

Current Employee - Problem Solver in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Problem Solver in Seattle, WA

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The snacks are a perk, the person ordering does her best to come up with variety while keeping some favorites and fulfilling requests. Admin is always smiling and helpful to everyone. Office location is nice, but seems to be getting crowded again. The health insurance is good, not a lot of out of pocket expenses.

Cons

There is no one leading the company! I asked human resources a question a while back and the answer was wrong, I was referred to a guy who isn't even a company employee but a contractor that works with the accounting department. I wasn't sure why an accountant was supposed to help with HR issues except upper management is either never around or doesn't know what they are doing. The budget for upgrades and training seems to be non-existent. Despite years of asking for it we still don't have a company match to our 401k.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, engage with them. When you come in the office don't run to the nearest empty office and hide out. Why do you spend money flying all over if you're not there to interact with the employees? Wouldn't it be a better use of money to stay in your own office if you're not having a dialogue with the people working hard to make sure you get your big bonus? Raises and bonuses were delayed because you were too busy playing CYA after a blog came out that told people we work for an unethical company. We know it wasn't wrong, we are the ones working on the products. You can change the names of the divisions all you want but unless you change the products we're still the same company with the same leadership.

Jul 14, 2014 – Human Resources

Dear Employee, I am sorry to hear about your experience at blinkx. We try hard to make this a great place for employees to come and work. That said, I know we are far from perfect. We are always... More

8. "Blinkx/Prime Visibility review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY

I worked at blinkx full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart, hard working co-workers. Great benefits. Awesome leadership, great vision.

Cons

Can't think of any.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Great culture, happy employees. Move forward on the 401k match.

Jul 10, 2014 – Human Resources

Thank you for your perspective and the time you took to share your views about blinkx !

9. "A growing company with great opportunities"

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at blinkx for almost three years now. I have learned so much and really advanced in my career. You can make the position your own and take on new projects, as the company has grown a lot in the past few years. You work with people from multiple offices and continue to learn new things every day.

Cons

The challenge of working at blinkx is keeping self-motivated. You are not micro-managed and you must be proactive at all times.

Advice to Management

I trust the senior leadership team is continuously working to make blinkx a better business ! I love working with a team that challenges me and helps me grow.

"Great place to work !"

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, start up vibe with corporate resources. As we grow we continue to take on new and challenging projects. Its been an awesome work experience ! Always learning new things and never bored.

Cons

You are expected to be "on" and available at all times. However this is rewarded with great company events and outings. Work hard , play hard attitude !

Advice to Management

I appreciate our All Hand Meetings keeping all employee's up to date with the business.