blinkx Reviews | Glassdoor

blinkx CEO S. Brian Mukherjee
S. Brian Mukherjee

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Sales/Ad op Intern"

I worked at blinkx (Less than a year)

Pros

People within the Sales team were kind and great, free snacks, Sales/Account manager took couple of us interns out to happy hour.

Cons

Not much opportunity to go anywhere within the company.

"Corrupt Business run by charlatans with no clue"

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

Pros

To manipulate the appearance employee retention during acquisition, they were willing to shell out decent cash to aqui-hires, even though they had no idea how to make use of our talent.

Cons

Horribly disorganized rat maze where everyone was constantly plotting against each other to get a leg up. The company was complicit in advertiser fraud, and optimizing the sale of fake impressions was a core element of their business. As the industry began to come down on this type of fraud, people got laid off and the company tried a number of acquisitions, rebrands, and "pivots" to protect the goldmine that is video arbitrage – which they had used to syphon millions of advertiser dollars in a pyramid numbers game that had everyone lying to their boss all the way up the chain. Google "blinkx Edelman" – job-seeker beware - not every dollar is worth the paper its printed on.

Advice to Management

Hire good lawyers, your unscrupulous business practices will catch up to you.

3. "Solid company"

I worked at blinkx part-time

Pros

great people, good incentives, and the company has a lot of potential for growth. it seems upper management truly understands the space they are working in and how to succeed.

Cons

i was only a part time intern and didnt have a lot of work to do. not the companys fault, i didnt stay long because i found another opportunity.

Advice to Management

keep doing what youre doing

4. "Quirky but had a good run"

I worked at blinkx full-time

Pros

Great place to learn cutting edge mobile advertising technology and video. Great sales force.

Cons

Never had enough development resources to build products. No drive to win in the marketplace despite early succeses.

Advice to Management

Get a CEO and team that wants to win.

"Good first job, can learn a lot."

Current Employee - Information Technology
    Current Employee - Information Technology

Pros

Some great people, exposure to a rich technology platform. They deal with all pieces of advertising, including display, video, mobile, programmatic, and SOE.

Cons

Poor communication across business units makes it hard to see the Big Picture. Company seems to change direction frequently, but not decisively.

Advice to Management

Give more autonomy to mid-level management. Focus on communicating effectively, and getting buy-in from employees.

Mar 26, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for providing feedback! We are excited you recognize the awesome team here at blinkx and our range of products. We strive to provide each employee with growth opportunities within the... More

6. "Useless support and sub par WP plugin"

Pros

When they have it right it's only 75% right

Cons

Poor support with a don't care attitude, lousy plugin updates that take months to correct, discriminatory policy towards publishers, luck of knowledge of publisher account, poor ad compensation.

"Culture of fear"

Current Employee - Business Development
    Current Employee - Business Development

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great industry, some very talented people are still at the company.

Cons

The CEO leads by instilling fear, just like what was said in the last (real) review. No one will stand up to him, and if you do, you will find yourself out of a job. Which is a shame, because the CEO knows the least about the company and what we actually do. A good CEO welcomes different opinions and surrounds himself with smart people who are trusted to lead the company. CEO surrounds himself with people who tell him what he wants to hear. He makes things personal and no one respects him or his get rich quick schemes.

Advice to Management

Stand up and be counted. The employees deserve that.

Mar 19, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. While we were happy to hear you recognize the awesome, talented employees we have here at blinkx, we were disappointed in reading the rest of your review. Blinkx prides... More

8. "Online Media Marketing Associate"

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Able to work with your teammates openly, have room to share ideas. The room to discuss changes and make changes on your own.

Cons

Company's values and no room to grow

"Empty Promises, Empty Chairs"

I have been working at blinkx full-time

Pros

There are still some good people who still work here. A small handful anyway. Work hours are pretty decent. You don't often have to work weekends.

Cons

Nobody is happy to come to work anymore. And many have stopped coming permanently, they quit.

Communication is terrible from the top down.

Morale is in the toilet, and for valid reasons. It's pretty unanimous. Unless you believe those reviews posted by HR to try and stem the onslaught of the inevitable.

They try and ask us to write them too. We all know you're trying to pad reviews here on Glassdoor. We don't appreciate it. Trust me, we want to write good reviews. Give us some reasons too. Then ask. You won't have to when that time comes.

The execs who drove this company into its current dire situation, blame everyone but themselves. They seem perplexed. They can't fathom why on earth they see constant failure. Even though, the reasons stem from their own actions. They don't invest in their people. They don't provide resources. They don't provide the time.

Salaries fall short. They promise things and don't deliver. The culture sucks, we don't even have any. HR seems to think a newsletter is all it takes.

Advice to Management

Stop with your get rich quick schemes. We all love a quick dollar on occasion, but your employees deserve stability. The type of stability that only comes with proper business models and great products. You try and rule by fear. You push unrealistic deadlines. You kick your employees when we're already down.

Guess what. We're not afraid. Those of us left are just trying to turn things around for the other people who work here. You've used your axe to cut people, but soon it will be your positions if you don't change.

Trust the people you have employed. Let them do what they do best. Stop derailing everything they're trying to accomplish. Your decisions did this to the company. Your lack of understanding continues to plague this company. Your lack of communication is felt every day. Your lack of trust is known by all.

CHANGE ALREADY!

Mar 2, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Know that management understands and appreciates the value, hard work, and dedication each employee brings to the company. We are extremely... More

"While even the highs weren't very high, the lows are a bottomless pit of unhappiness"

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One thing blinkx has always had going for it is good people, even as it grows through acquisition. Somehow (most) of the people remain amazing. I don't know how the company has retained so many for so long, although we're definitely starting to see some of the lifers trickle out. And I don't think it's just people coming together to make the best of a bad situation--the majority of people are truly dedicated and talented and fun to be around.

Benefits are good. There are some great managers and some of the business leaders know what they're doing.

Cons

It's good we tend to get along, because we see A LOT of each other. The CEO puts in 24 hour days and expects everyone else to, too. Unfortunately most people aren't compensated at his level, so sorry everybody--you're kinda working for free! Everyone complains about the low pay.

At a certain management level, no one takes a real vacation. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week is the expectation pushed down from above.

To make things even more entertaining, we have major attrition and nothing's going to change anytime soon. Like I said, people are abandoning this sinking ship and none of the execs are doing anything about it.

Advice to Management

You know why people are leaving? Because no one likes being one person doing the job of three (except maybe the CEO). Pay us more, respect our lives outside the work day, and stop pretending blinkx is a start up. It WAS a start up. Now it's a raggedy collection of loosely organized businesses held together by spit and despair.

Jan 27, 2015 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We are happy to hear you recognize the rockstars we have here at blinkx! We are always striving to be better and will take your comments into... More