blinkx Reviews | Glassdoor

blinkx Reviews

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • They also provide free snacks/beverages and do a staff lunch every Thursday which is generous of them (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The company was complicit in advertiser fraud, and optimizing the sale of fake impressions was a core element of their business (in 4 reviews)

"Great place of employment!"

Current Employee - Billing & Revenue Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Billing & Revenue Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at blinkx full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, approachable management, co-workers great to work with.

Cons

I currently do not have any cons for the company. Great place to work, great people to work with.

"Worst professional experience of career."

Former Employee - Directory of Engineering in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Directory of Engineering in San Francisco, CA

I worked at blinkx full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A few very nice people there, people I respected and wanted to work with.

Cons

Worst senior management team (at least from engineering perspective) I've ever worked with. No product vision or direction, tons of micro management. IMO, most of company is made up of C and D players. Very few high performers. My sentiments were not alone, this is a feeling at least some employees I worked with have themselves. Most telling fact, my contact at the company quit the same week I joined. This should have tipped me off that it was not a great place.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes to what's really going on and who is making decisions.

"Average Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at blinkx full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's nice for working your straight eight hours and going home. There isn't much motivation to work extra or contribute more. Your coworkers you work with on a day to day basis are nice.

Cons

Blinkx doesn't create anything truly innovative or ground breaking on the tech side. There aren't many perks if at all for working there. This isn't an environment for you if you're looking to learn and grow. There isn't many areas to advance to.

Advice to Management

Please talk to your employees and care about them more.

"Great Company, Loads of Opportunity and Potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Have been with Blinkx since they acquired us back in 2011, and in that time, the company has expanded, hired, and increased revenue exponentially. I've had the pleasure of working with many others across the other departments/Offices, and there's really a sense of teamwork in most areas here.

Cons

There are some minor "corporate" issues that come along with being a publicly traded company, sometimes there could be lack of communication on what may be going on, outside of monthly meetings.

Advice to Management

N/A

"Corporate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at blinkx full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Small office with a blend of start-up and tech corporate culture emerging. Think flexible with sustainable resources. Plenty of opportunity to have a career and have some fun. Lots of career oriented people at the Company.

Cons

There have been growing pains of acquisitions and also growing so quickly over the last two years. Those seem to be behind us and we are recruiting and retaining lots of talented people with ideas and the skill sets to grow blinkx to $1.0 B of revenue annually.

Advice to Management

Set up a one on one mentoring program. Hire more recent college graduates. Start an internship program.

"A good learning experience"

Former Employee - Content Editor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Content Editor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at blinkx part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule as I was part time on the weekends and I was able to learn quite a bit about data entry. Was able to work from home or wherever place so long as I had a computer to hook up to to work.

Cons

Training, I feel, should have been more than a day. It'd also have been great if terms were shuffled out in a more timely manner when it's found that there has not been content for quite some time.

Advice to Management

It was great working with you all.

"Good overall but could use some improvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty good benefits, compensation is good (if you're a manager or higher or have been there a while), kitchen is always full of food, so it's like free breakfast and lunch, beer days, morale events here are fun and engaging, free parking, co-workers are cool, they really do promote from within, and lots of flexibility and autonomy.

Cons

-Some upper management are better than others (some don't listen or ignore your suggestions altogether, but there are some that are open to new ideas), not proactive with increased compensation, there was a reorg recently that have embittered some people, no 401(k) matching, and while some people can telecommute, it's largely discouraged.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your employees more. Based on the opinions of the employees and myself, we feel that the company is not transparent enough and everything is always so secretive. Also, listen to your employees; they're the backbone of the company and have good intentions for the company.

"Fun place to work in an evolving industry. Great people, excellent location!"

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very welcoming, friendly group. Company is expanding quickly so every day is very exciting. TONS of perks - kitchen snacks, random bagel deliveries, organic fruit every week, catered Thursday lunches, Giants games & happy hours. Adjacent to Embarcadero Bart/Muni station & close to lots of great restaurants & shopping. Great health benefits - this company cares about your health!

Cons

Since the company is expanding and changing so quickly, information sometimes does not make it around to all the appropriate people, so that creates room for employee speculation & confusion.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent. I know upper management is busy but try to make sure your employees understand what is changing. I don't know if monthly company meetings satisfy this need as not all branches are included in all information exchanges.

"small issues but overall great environment"

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-blinkx is growing
    -Supportive upper management
    -Competitive Salary
    -Thursday lunches, lots of snacks/beverages for free

Cons

-Growing pains comes with some confusion for employees on their roles. Makes sense though based on recent acquires (burst, etc)
    -Not flexible on work schedules (typical m-f, 8:30 - 5:30 type job). Should allow to work from home or summer fridays like many other companies with similar environment

Advice to Management

Continue with Monthly meetings regarding company updates (we just started this, but hoping it does not go away). Bring back happy hour Fridays (let us drink in the office!). Be more flexible about working from home.

"Growing, learning, rewarding."

Current Employee - Senior Ad-ops Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Ad-ops Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at blinkx full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of room for growth within the company--they truly do promote from within. Very positive laid back work atmosphere with intelligent hard working peers and superiors. Responsibilities and goals are well communicated and I'm given autonomy to take care of those responsibilities how I see fit without micromanagement. Good benefits, competitive salary, growing company which is poised to continue to provide more opportunity in the future.

Cons

Not quite as lax as some SF companies with regards to flex time or the ability to telecommute. The extremely quick rate of growth we have been experiencing can lead to confusion regarding the redefinition of roles moving forward, but that's not a bad problem to have.

Advice to Management

I'm very happy here, but the one area that leaves me wanting is that the hours are long and are not based on current work load but rather are just fixed. Flex time would be a significant morale boost as would sanctioned telecommuting as there seems to be no reason not to implement more telecommuting. The job can be done from anywhere and again would boost morale to provide employees with more freedom and would improve work/life balance.